PDA

View Full Version : Football's Life Lessons

footballmom
11-06-2001, 07:14 PM
Hey guys, I've been watching football for a lot of years--since 8th grade when I decided if I was going to be in the Drill Team, I might as well learn the game that I was watching. Yes, I am a 'girl', but I love HS football!
The Giddings/Cameron game--what a barn-burner! Quite possibly the best HS football game I've witnessed in 30+ years of watching. It was also the most tightly refereed game I've seen in a long time. The refs knew the importance of the game to both teams. The Cameron kids played a great game. However, to quote a line from "Remember the Titans" "...attitude reflects leadership". The cursing and temper tantrums by the coaches were way over the top. The fans leaving the stadium cursing and yelling at the Buffalo players that they were cheated, well I guess that reflects the leadership of the coaching staff as well.
I, along with some other football moms experienced some of the Cameron coaches attitude on Thursday night. We were stuffing cups in the fence to spell out "Parent's Night 2001" and the guys numbers. As 3 Cameron coaches walked by one of them smarted off about what we were doing. He did the same thing later in the evening. So we weren't surprised when we heard how they talked to their players(from the men running chains & down-marker).
Yes, emotions on the Giddings side were running high. When the final hard-fought score was made, the student section emptied. I've never, ever seen that happen, but this time it did. Again, we're dealing with teenagers, and they don't think with their brain always!
To the 2 young men who had the character and heart of champions to walk across the field to shake hands--you guys will go far in life. Life isn't about winning or losing--it's about your attitude within your circumstances. Life is not fair & any team can beat any other team any given day of the week.
I trust that both of these teams will reach their potential in the playoffs. But as adults and fans, I hope the sort of behavior that I saw after the game on Friday night doesn't happen again. These boys could be fighting a different battle in a foreign country one day soon--adults, please realize that for them football right now is life, but we all know better if we've lived for any length of time! Let's be the grown-ups and let the kids be the kids!

bd62
11-06-2001, 08:15 PM
amen

Offensive Coordinator
11-06-2001, 08:31 PM
Hey G-Town Mom couldn't said it better myself!

dogdad
11-06-2001, 10:49 PM
Footballmom, you're my newest hero. Thanks.

alanclay37
11-07-2001, 01:53 AM
WOW I thought My mom loved football.

jykoy
11-07-2001, 08:12 AM
MOM!!! I told you not to write on here!!! GAH LEE!!! You're gonna emabarass me in front of all my friends!

footballmom
11-07-2001, 09:02 AM
To jykoy:
I don't really think you belong to me, but if you do, I give you permission to disavow any knowledge of me and my writing!!!