PDA

View Full Version : Any refs on here need a rule clarification

pancho villa
10-27-2014, 08:44 AM
4th down and team A attempts a field goal. Team B blocks the field goal; however the ball goes past the line of scrimmage where it is touched by team B (not past the yard line needed for a first down ) and then recovered by team A. Who’s ball should it be?

YTBulldogs
10-27-2014, 09:22 AM
Depends how B touched the ball beyond LOS. Was he blocked into touching the ball? Tried to pick it up? Have to know more about it.

pancho villa
10-27-2014, 09:49 AM
Tried to pick it up

YTBulldogs
10-27-2014, 10:01 AM
A's ball. Why coaches yell, get away (PETER, PETER, PETER) from blocked FG's beyond LOS. Line to gain, no baring.

pancho villa
10-27-2014, 10:10 AM
The refs gave the ball to team B

waterboy
10-27-2014, 10:11 AM
Anybody remember the famous Leon Lett play in the ice against Miami on Thanksgiving Day? If the ball goes beyond the line of scrimmage it's poison. If the team that blocked the field goal touches it beyond the original line of scrimmage it is a live ball.

I've seen some crazy stuff in high school games. I remember one time Daingerfield punted the ball against Gilmer, the ball went basically straight up, the Daingerfield player caught the ball and ran it in for a score. Although it was close, the refs erroneously ruled the ball didn't go beyond the line of scrimmage, therefore the kicking team could advance.

Another time against Paris, I saw Gilmer partially block a punt. I could've sworn the ball went beyond the line of scrimmage by several yards, yet a Paris player picked the ball up and ran it in for a TD. To this day I haven't figured that one out.

Ranger354
10-27-2014, 10:57 AM
I've seen some crazy stuff in high school games. I remember one time Daingerfield punted the ball against Gilmer, the ball went basically straight up, the Daingerfield player caught the ball and ran it in for a score. Although it was close, the refs erroneously ruled the ball didn't go beyond the line of scrimmage, therefore the kicking team could advance.

Same thing happened to Sinton and West Oso I believe... Craziest thing I ever saw!!!!

coach
10-27-2014, 11:15 AM
A's ball. Why coaches yell, get away (PETER, PETER, PETER) from blocked FG's beyond LOS. Line to gain, no baring.

If team B had possession yes it is a first down, but doesnt the ball have to go past the first down marker if the ball was only touched?

YTBulldogs
10-27-2014, 11:16 AM

Same thing happened to Sinton and West Oso I believe... Craziest thing I ever saw!!!!

Yup, don't cross LOS, all can advance a punt.

waterboy
10-27-2014, 11:20 AM
Yup, don't cross LOS, all can advance a punt.

Yes, I know that now, but at the time it was shocking because we'd never seen it happen before. I looked at the play on film, and the ball was actually caught about a yard beyond the line of scrimmage. The ref was just out of position to make the call. It was weird to say the least, and it was the last play before the half.

I still haven't gotten a clear answer on the partially blocked punt that went beyond the line of scrimmage, and the punting team advanced. No Gilmer player touched the ball beyond the line of scrimmage. Oh, well, we won both games anyway. Just saying...

YTBulldogs
10-27-2014, 11:22 AM
Yes, I know that now, but at the time it was shocking because we'd never seen it happen before. I looked at the play on film, and the ball was actually caught about a yard beyond the line of scrimmage. The ref was just out of position to make the call. It was weird to say the least, and it was the last play before the half.

I still haven't gotten a clear answer on the partially blocked punt that went beyond the line of scrimmage, and the punting team advanced. No Gilmer player touched the ball beyond the line of scrimmage. Oh, well, we won both games anyway. Just saying...

3 yards beyond is considered LOS in rule book. Why not exact, dunno. Ask coaches, they write the rules. LOL. Partially blocked, sounds like a blown call, if it went 3 yards beyond. IMO.

waterboy
10-27-2014, 11:37 AM
3 yards beyond is considered LOS in rule book. Why not exact, dunno. Ask coaches, they write the rules. LOL. Partially blocked, sounds like a blown call, if it went 3 yards beyond. IMO.

Wow! I did not know the 3 yards beyond LOS rule. I guess you learn something new everyday. That explains one of them at least. The other, no so much. On the second instance, the ball bounced at least 7 to 8 yards beyond the LOS before being picked up by the punting team and advanced. Mistakes happen, though. I would just hate to see something like that happen in a game that matters, and costs a team a victory. Fortunately, it didn't matter in that game.

pirate4state
10-27-2014, 12:12 PM

YES!!!! I will never forget that punt LOL

GrTigers6
10-27-2014, 12:21 PM
If team B had possession yes it is a first down, but doesnt the ball have to go past the first down marker if the ball was only touched?No Its the same as a muffed punt. once theball crosses the neutral zone team A's possession is over. then once team b touched it and A recovered it becomes a new set of downs for A

YTBulldogs
10-27-2014, 12:47 PM
It's why coaches yell "PETER, PETER, PETER" !!! Get your butt away. Only bad can happen on blocks that cross LOS.

99IHSMustang
10-27-2014, 02:33 PM
4th down and team A attempts a field goal. Team B blocks the field goal; however the ball goes past the line of scrimmage where it is touched by team B (not past the yard line needed for a first down ) and then recovered by team A. Who’s ball should it be?

Your going to hurt yourself if you think about this too hard.

Saggy Aggie
10-27-2014, 02:37 PM
http://bbs.texasdownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?126753-Rules-question