PDA

View Full Version : Columbia 1969 football storm in Brazosport Facts

Scoop27
10-26-2014, 07:29 PM
By ANTHONY MAENZA sports@thefacts.com | 0 comments

WEST COLUMBIA — Memories flowed as members of Columbia’s 1969 state finals football team gathered together Friday to reminisce about that almost championship season.

Members of the team were honored with a reception before they were inducted into the Columbia-Brazoria Athletic Booster Club Hall of Honor during ceremonies at halftime of the Roughnecks’ game against Stafford.

“This is one of the greatest things we could do is get together and reminisce a little bit,” team member Donald Brown said.

The ’Necks were unbeaten through 13 games that season before losing to Brownwood, 34-16, in the state finals that year.

“I’m very excited about seeing all these ex-players,” defensive and offensive lineman Randy Powell said. “They did a phenomenal job to say the least.”

The camaraderie among the players from that season is what Powell remembered most.

“It just brought us so close together,” he said. “The whole town was united in the effort to win state.”

Perhaps the most memorable game on their run to the state finals was the quarterfinal matchup against Brenham.

The game ended in a 6-6 tie, but Columbia advanced by virtue of a 4-3 advantage in penetrations inside the Brenham 20.

Offensive guard Vladimir Listak said the field conditions at Tully Stadium in Houston, where the game was played, were terrible. It had rained and made the field sloppy.

“They had put down Christmas tree needles on the field to make like grass,” Listak said. “That was the toughest game we had that season.”

The big star for Brenham that season was running back Roosevelt Leaks, who went on to become an All-American at the University of Texas.

Powell said they held Leaks to 29 yards in the contest.

After beating Brenham, the Roughnecks went on to beat Belton, 10-6, in the state semifinals to get a spot in the state championship game.

“The most memorable game for me was in the state semifinals,” Brown said. “I remember I got hit so hard, I think I’m still feeling it.”

Steve LeBlanc said there were a lot of tough games that season.

“We made the most of the opportunities we had,” LeBlanc said. “I wish we could have made it through all the way and won the state championship. We were fortunate to win the games we did. We were able to get breaks at the right time.”

Getting a chance to see old teammates again after 45 years perhaps was even better than being recognized for what they did that season.

“I like seeing these guys again,” running back Charlie Davis said. “They are all great.”