PDA

View Full Version : Region 4 Week 10 South GOTW: Port Isabel Tarpons vs. Orange Grove Bulldogs

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-25-2014, 10:51 PM
Making a thread here just in case it's not voted "Game of the Week" in Region IV.

IMHO, PI matches up very well with Orange Grove. PI's defense will be the key in this matchup.

Well, defense and lack of mistakes/turnovers.

Ranger354
10-26-2014, 08:43 AM
OG by 2 TDs...

SintonFan_inAustin
10-26-2014, 09:18 AM
Think PI gives OG another tri champ scenario year, OG likes to share.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-26-2014, 05:54 PM
Think PI gives OG another tri champ scenario year, OG likes to share.

Sharing is indeed caring.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-29-2014, 11:53 AM
Found an article in the Valley Morning Star (not the Wimberley Valley, sorry)

Copy/Paste job below.

PHOTO FINISH: In District 16-4A DII, it’s a fight to the finish.

A return to the win column also meant a return to the RGV Sports’ top 10 poll for the Port Isabel Tarpons. After defeating West Oso 42-24 the Tarpons moved back into the poll after a loss to Rio Hondo saw them crash out.

With two colossal games left, Port Isabel will have the opportunity to capture a share of the district title if they can manage to win out.

But that’s easier said than done.

This week the Tarpons travel to Orange Grove and take on a team few opponents have been able to decipher let alone stop.

Rio Hondo (6-2, 2-1) and Raymondville (5-3, 2-1) meet up for an enticing matchup that will have seeding implications. The Bobcats sit in second place in the district standings after losing a heartbreaker to Orange Grove last week. A victory for Rio Hondo could assure them a second-place finish with Progreso (1-7, 0-3) rounding out the season.

For the Bearkats a victory would push them into the second spot, with a huge game against Port Isabel to finish out the season.

However, Port Isabel could do everybody a favor by knocking off Orange Grove, thus busting the district title race wide open.

VMS - Freddy Gonzalez

SHSBulldog00
10-29-2014, 12:05 PM
Is Bomar still at OG? I met him in college.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-29-2014, 12:27 PM
And this was a post made by Rock61992, a Raymondville poster on the 956Sports Forum. He just about covers all of the possible playoff scenarios that could happen based on the results of the 3 pivotal games remaining in the district schedule. This is, of course, assuming Progreso or West Oso doesn't upset someone in Week 11 (Progreso vs. Rio Hondo & OG vs. West Oso)

Copy/Paste job below. I'll clean it up a bit to make it more understandable because the original looks like a massive jumble of acronyms.

There are three pivotal games in the next two weeks involving the top 4 teams. Because (2x2x2=8) we have 8 distinct possibilities for seeding barring an upset from the bottom two teams.
The three important games are Port Isabel @ Orange Grove, Rio Hondo @ Raymondville in Week 10, and Raymondville @ Port Isabel in Week 11. The scenarios are listed by each game's winner with the seeding outcome below it.

Scenario: A.)
Winners: Orange Grove, Raymondville, Raymondville
Outcome: 1.OG 2.Ray 3.RH 4.PI

B.)
Winners: Port Isabel, Raymondville, Raymondville
Outcome: 1.OG 1.Ray 3.RH 3.PI

C.)
Winners: Orange Grove, Rio Hondo, Raymondville
Outcome: 1.OG 2.RH 3.Ray 4.PI

D.)
Winners: Port Isabel, Rio Hondo, Raymondville
Outcome: 1.OG 1.RH 3.Ray 3.PI

E.)
Winners: Orange Grove, Raymondville, Port Isabel
Outcome: 1.OG (2.Ray 2.RH 2.PI)

F.)
Winners: Port Isabel, Raymondville, Port Isabel
Outcome: 1.PI 1.OG 3.Ray 3.RH

G.)
Winners: Orange Grove, Rio Hondo, Port Isabel
Outcome: 1.OG 2.RH 3.PI 4.Ray

H.)
Winners: Port Isabel, Rio Hondo, Port Isabel
Outcome: (1.PI 1.OG 1.RH) 4.Ray

Scenario A - Best possible case for Raymondville assuming Orange Grove wins out and Port Isabel loses out.
Scenario B - Orange Grove & Raymondville share district title. OG gets #1 seed by virtue of their win over Raymondville. Rio Hondo gets #3 seed by virtue of their win over Port Isabel.
Scenario C - Self explanatory. OG is district champ outright, Rio Hondo finishes 4-1, Raymondville 3-2, Port Isabel 2-3 in district games.
Scenario D - Orange Grove & Rio Hondo share district title. OG gets #1 seed by virtue of their win over Rio Hondo. Raymondville gets #3 seed by virtue of their win over Port Isabel.
Scenario E - Orange Grove wins district. PI, RH, and Raymondville finish tied for 2nd. Point differential to determine seeding. RH is +7 over PI.
Scenario F - Port Isabel & Orange Grove share district title. PI gets #1 seed by virtue of their win over Orange Grove. Raymondville & Rio Hondo tie for 3rd. Raymondville gets #3 seed by virtue of their win over Rio Hondo.
Scenario G - Self explanatory. OG is district champ outright, Rio Hondo finishes 4-1, Port Isabel 3-2, Raymondville 2-3 (also most likely scenario)
Scenario H - Port Isabel, Orange Grove, Rio Hondo all share District Title. Point differential to determine seeding. RH is +7 over PI. OG is +3 over RH. Raymondville is 4th. (2nd most likely scenario)

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-29-2014, 12:28 PM

His dad is the head coach. As for Rhett Bomar, I'm not sure.

SHSBulldog00
10-29-2014, 12:30 PM

Rhett was who I was inferring.

YTBulldogs
10-29-2014, 12:30 PM
Now, the important stuff. Congrats Tarp, Ya'll made a GOTW.:clap:

Seriously, should be a great game. Other D16 thoughts. Some reason, I think Raymondville wins out. Thoughts Tarp?

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-29-2014, 12:44 PM
Now, the important stuff. Congrats Tarp, Ya'll made a GOTW.:clap:

Seriously, should be a great game. Other D16 thoughts. Some reason, I think Raymondville wins out. Thoughts Tarp?

This is just MY opinion here.

IMHO, PI matches up with Orange Grove very well. If their playoff game last season was any indication, Orange Grove will have a very difficult time stopping Port Isabel's running game. Mind you, Port Isabel doesn't have 33 Seniors like they did last year. They are mostly Sophs and Juniors this year with just a handful of Seniors. Orange Grove will score some points, I mean, more than the 7 points they managed to put up on PI last year in the 2nd round of the playoffs. PI does still have athletes on the defense, including All-State Safety Marco Colorado and up-and-comers R.J. Villarreal and Dylan Athanas at the ends. (Villarreal is a JR, Athanas is a Soph. and is the fastest on the team) This year's defense against a spread offense has been very "bend but don't break" this season. The big key to this game for PI will be limiting mistakes. PI by far is the most penalized team in the district which has cost them some touchdowns or first downs, and they've also had their share of fumbled snaps and just fumbles in general.

If Port Isabel can eliminate their mistakes, they are incredibly tough to beat. But if their inexperience shows, then it will be Orange Grove's night.

Now, as for that other game, Raymondville vs. Rio Hondo, Rio Hondo is favored over Raymondville. Rio Hondo's defense is stout, but Raymondville has got some athletes on that team. Raymondville actually gave Sinton a better game than Rio Hondo did, so they can compete. If Rio Hondo's offense sputters at inopportune times, then Raymondville has a decent chance at beating Rio Hondo. Port Isabel proved Rio Hondo can be run on, but they don't run out of the spread. Raymondville is a spread team.

11TARPON
10-29-2014, 11:44 PM
Last time the Tarpons played at Orange Grove the stands were not big enough to accommodate our fans. Can anyone tell me if improvements have been made to the stadium bleachers on the visitors side. Do the fans need to get there real early to get a seat.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-30-2014, 12:55 AM
Last time the Tarpons played at Orange Grove the stands were not big enough to accommodate our fans. Can anyone tell me if improvements have been made to the stadium bleachers on the visitors side. Do the fans need to get there real early to get a seat.

A very valid question here. And I was there the last time Port Isabel played @ Orange Grove. Was a freaking disaster for our fans, as many were forced to stand along the fence, and some even left out of frustration because they couldn't even see the game at all from where they were being forced to stand.

hollywood
10-30-2014, 11:29 AM

Sounds like he's coaching with his dad at OG as the OC and QB's coach.

http://www.texasfootball.com/highschool-news/view/180765

YTBulldogs
10-30-2014, 12:11 PM
A very valid question here. And I was there the last time Port Isabel played @ Orange Grove. Was a freaking disaster for our fans, as many were forced to stand along the fence, and some even left out of frustration because they couldn't even see the game at all from where they were being forced to stand.

I'd camp out there tonight following JH games, to secure a seat.

Footballfan2000
10-30-2014, 12:11 PM
No improvements still the same better get there early.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-30-2014, 12:12 PM
No improvements still the same better get there early.

Yuck. You mean to tell us y'all haven't expanded those visitor side stands at all since at least 1994? That was the last time Port Isabel played at Orange Grove.

YTBulldogs
10-30-2014, 12:13 PM
Heard they built a freaking enormous sized indoor facility though. Maybe ya'll can camp out tonight in it?

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-30-2014, 12:20 PM
Heard they built a freaking enormous sized indoor facility though. Maybe ya'll can camp out tonight in it?

Sounds like they've got the cash to improve that stadium. You'd think they would have at least expanded the visitor side to accommodate more fans with that money.

YTBulldogs
10-30-2014, 12:22 PM
Sounds like they've got the cash to improve that stadium. You'd think they would have at least expanded the visitor side to accommodate more fans with that money.

I heard they spent it all, then some, on this indoor facility. Pissed many off.

SHSBulldog00
10-30-2014, 12:35 PM
I'm going to say PI 17-14

SHSBulldog00
10-30-2014, 12:37 PM
I just realized this thread didn't have a poll so I added one.

SHSBulldog00
10-30-2014, 12:39 PM
For those below the post vote limit I will add your votes to the tally if you put it below

YTBulldogs
10-30-2014, 12:55 PM
I'll go with the Grove, 28-27. Should be a good one. PI a year away from dominating again IMO.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-30-2014, 01:13 PM
Just seen an interesting statistic regarding 16-4A DII

When it comes to the Top 4 teams in the district (Port Isabel, Orange Grove, Rio Hondo, Raymondville) Orange Grove has the worst defense of the 4 vs. the run by a pretty wide margin.

Orange Grove IS the best of the 4 teams against the pass, but the team they play tomorrow doesn't pass the ball hardly at all.

11TARPON
10-31-2014, 01:19 PM
Does

11TARPON
10-31-2014, 01:21 PM
Does anyone know if this game has been rescheduled due to flooding?

SintonFan_inAustin
10-31-2014, 01:40 PM
Does anyone know if this game has been rescheduled due to flooding?flooding for PI on the way up to Orange Grove? Think it's ok roads to OG from here, Rain has cleared here but looks like valley got hit hard also.

SintonFan_inAustin
10-31-2014, 01:46 PM
Does anyone know if this game has been rescheduled due to flooding?
just saw in 956sports poster name wildcat and I believe he's from OG and posted it was cancel and set for sat at 5:30pm

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-31-2014, 08:32 PM
Confirmed. Tomorrow @ 5:30pm.

That's EXTREMELY fishy. A LOT of Port Isabel people are pretty angry about this too. Also, a Port Isabel alum who is now living in Beeville drove by the stadium in Orange Grove. Said the field looked dry to him, and that the ground soaked up all the water from the storms pretty fast.

Apparently, the call to postpone was entirely Orange Grove's call, and it came pretty early in the morning. What's up with that?

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-01-2014, 05:35 PM
Game finally getting underway. 22 hours late, but hey, better late than never.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-01-2014, 05:37 PM
Orange Grove returns the opening kickoff for a TD

6-0 OG

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-01-2014, 05:44 PM
Two false starts on PI already. Looks like the "young & inexperienced" PI showed up again today.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-01-2014, 05:54 PM
Orange Grove TD pass by Hondo Harris, on a 4th and 5.

14-0 OG. 2 point conversion is good.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-01-2014, 06:06 PM
20-0 Orange Grove now. Early 2nd.

If the Tarpons can't get their act together this is going to turn very ugly very quickly.

YTBulldogs
11-01-2014, 06:07 PM
20-0 Orange Grove now. Early 2nd.

If the Tarpons can't get their act together this is going to turn very ugly very quickly.

Looks ugly now. But, we were there up 21-0 against Cuero. Hang in there.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-01-2014, 06:22 PM
PI gets on the board. JJ Gonzalez in from 12 yards out after a drive that took 8 minutes off the clock.

20-7 Orange Grove up, 2 mins. left in the 2nd.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-01-2014, 06:33 PM
PI holds Orange Grove on downs, takes over at their own 26, 1st half ends.

20-7 Orange Grove up.

YTBulldogs
11-01-2014, 06:37 PM
How many other D15 coaches, besides Yoakum there Tarp?

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-01-2014, 06:42 PM
How many other D15 coaches, besides Yoakum there Tarp?

I'm not at the game, but some Sinton folks are there and they said they saw Cuero, Yoakum, and Ingleside coaches at the game.

YTBulldogs
11-01-2014, 06:48 PM
Was the other D16 game played last night or cancelled too?

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-01-2014, 06:51 PM
Was the other D16 game played last night or cancelled too?

It was played last night.

Rio Hondo - 27
Raymondville - 13

If Orange Grove holds on and beats Port Isabel tonight, then the playoff picture becomes much more clearer. OG locks down #1, Rio Hondo locks down #2. PI and Raymondville play in Week 11, with the winner getting the #3 seed, loser #4 seed.

YTBulldogs
11-01-2014, 07:07 PM
It was played last night.

Rio Hondo - 27
Raymondville - 13

If Orange Grove holds on and beats Port Isabel tonight, then the playoff picture becomes much more clearer. OG locks down #1, Rio Hondo locks down #2. PI and Raymondville play in Week 11, with the winner getting the #3 seed, loser #4 seed.

Nice update. Thanks bud.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-01-2014, 07:09 PM
PI gets the ball to open the 2nd half. Soph. QB Trey Mock is in at QB after co-starting QB Marco Colorado (Sr.) was injured on defense late in the 1st Quarter.

BTW, Trey Mock is a bulldozer.

I spoke too soon. OG strips a PI RB off the ball, fumble, OG recovers.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-01-2014, 07:25 PM
27-7 Orange Grove now off a Tarpon turnover.

iFootball
11-01-2014, 07:33 PM
Is the game being broadcast online?

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-01-2014, 07:34 PM
Not to my knowledge. But Port Isabel is laying a monumental goose egg tonight. They are playing horribly.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-01-2014, 07:40 PM
33-7 Orange Grove over PI in the 4th

PI folks taking off.

So, barring an upset by West Oso, Orange Grove clinches the district title and #1 seed. Rio Hondo locks #2 seed unless Progreso upsets them next week. Port Isabel & Raymondville play for #3 & #4 next week.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-01-2014, 08:09 PM
Orange Grove - 33
Port Isabel - 7

FINAL

Orange Grove played 2nd & 3rd and JV kids in the last 75% of the 4th quarter. A major embarrassment for PI. Worst loss in a good long while for PI. Hopefully these youngsters remember this one.

SintonFan_inAustin
11-01-2014, 09:00 PM
After seeing both D16 games the past two days, PI looked like the 4th best team in that district. PI struggled to run on OG front 4 and tried passing and look uncomfortable doing that. Colorado did look like he throws good but he didn't last long as he got hurt like you mention and backup that came couldn't really throw the ball well. Right now Raymondville looks the favorite in that matchup but things can change game to game so well see if PI rebounds and get it going again.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-01-2014, 10:11 PM
After seeing both D16 games the past two days, PI looked like the 4th best team in that district. PI struggled to run on OG front 4 and tried passing and look uncomfortable doing that. Colorado did look like he throws good but he didn't last long as he got hurt like you mention and backup that came couldn't really throw the ball well. Right now Raymondville looks the favorite in that matchup but things can change game to game so well see if PI rebounds and get it going again.

Yeah, I wouldn't be shocked if Raymondville wins next week over PI.