PDA

View Full Version : Rules question

Saggy Aggie
10-25-2014, 09:19 PM
Team A is attempting a fg.

Team B partially blocks the fg and the ball goes beyond the LOS but not into the endzone.

Team B attempts to pick the ball up and advance it (does touch the ball) but fails to successfully recover.

Team A ultimately recovers the ball in the ensuing dogpile.

Who gets the ball and at what yard line?

TexMike
10-25-2014, 10:15 PM
Can you say Leon Lett?

The fact the kick was partially blocked has no bearing on the play at all. Team B touched the ball beyond the NZ, therefore the continuity of downs is broken. Since Team A touched AFTER that, A's touching/recovery is legal. 1st and 10 for Team A at spot of recovery

Necked
10-25-2014, 10:20 PM
I think what threw the refs off may have been that the scrum happened before the line to gain. It is the only thing I can think of as to why they gave the ball to Team B, but "continuity of downs is broken" should have given the ball to team A, as Mike says above...

Saggy Aggie
10-25-2014, 11:01 PM
Interesting, because the ball was eventually awarded to team B at the spot where team A ultimately recovered...

TexMike
10-25-2014, 11:06 PM
Where was this?

Necked
10-25-2014, 11:09 PM
Where was this?

Columbia - Stafford

regaleagle
10-26-2014, 03:47 AM
Does the defensive team need to "retouch" the ball again beyond the LOS first before it becomes ruled as "continuity of down is broken" OR is the block from behind the LOS sufficient for it to become a "live" ball for the kicking team to recover and get a new set of downs(assuming it passes the LOS). I know that if the ball is blocked but does not pass the LOS, it is "live" for both teams, but the kicking team is not awarded a new sets of downs unless they advance it to the first down mark.

TexMike
10-26-2014, 07:02 AM
The defense has to touch the ball beyondthe nZ to break the continuity of downs. The "touch" that occurs when a kick is blocked in or behind theNZ is not even considered as a touch.

Saggy Aggie
10-26-2014, 11:14 AM
This happened on Columbia's first drive of last Friday's game against Stafford.

Stafford definitely touched the ball beyond the LOS attempting to recover and it and WC definitely ended up recovering the ball at the 5 yard line. Stafford was awarded possession at the 5...

Rabid Cougar
10-26-2014, 12:00 PM
This happened on Columbia's first drive of last Friday's game against Stafford.

Stafford definitely touched the ball beyond the LOS attempting to recover and it and WC definitely ended up recovering the ball at the 5 yard line. Stafford was awarded possession at the 5...

Should have been A's ball First and Goal at B's 5 yardline.

Necked
10-26-2014, 12:52 PM
Seems the only ones in the stadium that knew the rules on that play were the Stafford people on the pressbox. I heard one shout "Why did he do that!" when their player touched the ball. LOL! Thank goodness it didn't cost us the game...