PDA

View Full Version : La Grange v Salado

Pudlugger
10-25-2014, 07:18 AM
Well, after a hard fought victory over our neighbor town and arch rival Giddings to go 9-0 the Leps travel to Salado next Friday to take on winless Salado. This game should be a cake walk and most likely will be over midway through the first quarter giving a fine opportunity for our bench to get in well deserved playing time. The Leps should close out the regular season a week early as the only 10-0 team in 4a, take ownership of the District Title and enter Bye Week before playoffs.

Gontex
10-25-2014, 07:30 AM
Well, after a hard fought victory over our neighbor town and arch rival Giddings to go 9-0 the Leps travel to Salado next Friday to take on winless Salado. This game should be a cake walk and most likely will be over midway through the first quarter giving a fine opportunity for our bench to get in well deserved playing time. The Leps should close out the regular season a week early as the only 10-0 team in 4a, take ownership of the District Title and enter Bye Week before playoffs.

Another great year for the Leps. Is this a district contest?

bag-o-chips
10-25-2014, 07:33 AM
As my old friend would say. A Slaughter!

zebrablue2
10-25-2014, 07:47 AM
La Grange by what they want, just stay healthy!!!

Pudlugger
10-25-2014, 08:10 AM
Another great year for the Leps. Is this a district contest?

Yes it is.

1st and goal
10-25-2014, 09:17 AM
Not even worth the thread space. Leps play 2nd and 3rd strings by 2nd quarter.

Leopardfan201
10-25-2014, 09:23 AM
LG great win however defense has too improve before they see west Orange and gilmer bcs those teams have speed like Giddings. LG offense is unstoppable, I dnt think anyone can stop the offense.

Pudlugger
10-25-2014, 09:44 AM
LG great win however defense has too improve before they see west Orange and gilmer bcs those teams have speed like Giddings. LG offense is unstoppable, I dnt think anyone can stop the offense.

I imagine Coach Kates will work on improving our pass coverage. WOS will own us if we don't make some headway in our defensive secondary. Just like Carthage did last year our defense stopped their running game last night against Giddings, so they took to the air and burned us for tds on vertical routes. Coaches will watch the tapes of the Giddings game and we will see a lot of this in our playoff run.

Gontex
10-25-2014, 09:49 AM
I thought that sounded like a long way to go for a district game. Google says it is 98 miles. Then I checked Gonzales to Robstown, also a district game and found it to be 148 miles. Darn, but that's a long way to drive for a district game.

Leopardfan201
10-25-2014, 12:01 PM
LG has a great offense and can score on anybody, but thrs going to come a time deep in the post season that the other team can score stride for stride with us like Orange stork and gilmer. So defense will be needed in games like that

Pudlugger
10-25-2014, 02:52 PM
LG has a great offense and can score on anybody, but thrs going to come a time deep in the post season that the other team can score stride for stride with us like Orange stork and gilmer. So defense will be needed in games like that

I agree Leopardfan last night was a wake up call to our defense especially our secondary. I can't recall how many times the Buff wr got out in front of our CBs but it was too many. Kates needs to find somebody who wants to knock down some footballs and bump some receivers on the line if they are beating you. Playing 5 yards off and giving up the swing passes in the flats will not cut it for receivers with great speed.

Special teams work is also in order. That onsides kick on the opening KO really hurt the Leps momentum. They need to expect that every time especially in games like last night where the opponent has everything to gain and nothing to lose by pulling out the stops and taking risks. As for punts, it seems that on more than one occassion a punt could have been blocked if the onrushing defender just kept on into the kick instead of pulling up at the very end. It would be worth a 15 yard penalty to get a blocked punt and a short field even if it was a 50% chance. This game against Salado would offer a real opportunity to block some punts without increasing our chances of losing the game on roughing the kicker calls. Well that's my two cents worth for our homework the next three weeks. I am confident our coaches will work things out and we'll be prepared for the better teams in the playoffs.

Rocket Man
10-25-2014, 08:28 PM
I can't believe the UIL is going to allow a mismatch of such biblical proportions

PappaFeelGood
10-26-2014, 07:25 AM
LG starters play the first quarter then the reserves come in. This gives starters a well deserved rest especially with a bye week next week. Kates may even want to bring up JV starters and give them a taste of Friday Night. LEPS by as much as they want.

Leopardfan201
10-26-2014, 08:55 AM
LG 50/0 halftime and thats how it ends starters wont play 2nd half

Aesculus gilmus
10-26-2014, 07:25 PM
According to MaxPreps rankings updated today, La Grange is the top-ranked team in Division II - 32nd overall in the state whereas Gilmer is 38th.

Leopardfan201
10-26-2014, 08:04 PM
Gilmer too me is a little better than LG but in time we will see

Pudlugger
10-27-2014, 03:22 PM
Gilmer too me is a little better than LG but in time we will see

Hard to say Leopardfan, they both have been 1-2 for several weeks now. Based on strenght of schedule Lg has the upper hand. Based on points scored and allowed Gilmer has the lead. My hope is we can settle this in December. My analysis of the road to that game is this for LG:

Round 1 Columbus
Round 2 Orangefield
Round 3 Bellville
Round 4 WOS
Round 5 Cuero
Round 6 Gilmer

Just need to keep the dream alive each week. Go Leps!

Pudlugger
10-29-2014, 09:22 AM
I was checking the Salado Stadium on Texas Bob and it looks real small on the visitor's side. It is stated to have a capacity of 3000 but I can't imagine that is accurate judging by the view on Google Earth. Can anyone who has been there comment on the size of the visitor side please? It is a 108 mile drive and I don't want to get there and have to stand up to watch the game. LG folks travel well so I expect a thousand plus will be there for this final regular season game.

Bosqueville
10-29-2014, 10:20 AM
It is very small. I would say much less than 1,000. When China Spring played there last year they had to put our band on the track in chairs due to the 187 we have in band. No turf either.

Rocket Man
10-29-2014, 10:53 AM
I was checking the Salado Stadium on Texas Bob and it looks real small on the visitor's side. It is stated to have a capacity of 3000 but I can't imagine that is accurate judging by the view on Google Earth. Can anyone who has been there comment on the size of the visitor side please? It is a 108 mile drive and I don't want to get there and have to stand up to watch the game. LG folks travel well so I expect a thousand plus will be there for this final regular season game.

It's been a few years since I went to the football stadium and the visitors' bleachers were small capacity, I don't have a guess as to the numbers capacity. I was there this past March for a baseball game which is close to the football stadium and the bleachers looked to be the same size as before. With this game having the potential of a blowout, you may not miss much by not going. In addition, I-35 has MUCHO construction going on in the Salado area.

Travel safe if you go.

Pudlugger
10-29-2014, 11:15 AM
It's been a few years since I went to the football stadium and the visitors' bleachers were small capacity, I don't have a guess as to the numbers capacity. I was there this past March for a baseball game which is close to the football stadium and the bleachers looked to be the same size as before. With this game having the potential of a blowout, you may not miss much by not going. In addition, I-35 has MUCHO construction going on in the Salado area.

Travel safe if you go.

Thanks, I plan on taking HWY 77 to Rockdale then crossing over on FM487 then FM 437 N then FM 2268 W to avoid Austin and I 35 during rush hour. I try to make all Lep games no matter what the predictions are. This is a once in a blue moon team and I plan on getting the most enjoyment possible. Go Leps!

buff4ever
10-29-2014, 02:36 PM
Thanks, I plan on taking HWY 77 to Rockdale then crossing over on FM487 then FM 437 N then FM 2268 W to avoid Austin and I 35 during rush hour. I try to make all Lep games no matter what the predictions are. This is a once in a blue moon team and I plan on getting the most enjoyment possible. Go Leps!

You probably won't enjoy much of this game, but glad you are going anyway. Good for the kids of LG to have some support in the stands, no matter the outcome.

Rabid Cougar
10-29-2014, 02:59 PM

Just friendly advice.....
That route is a twisty ass way to go. Drove those FMs as growing up. I'd advise take 79 to Taylor then 95 to Holland then 2268 to Salado. It's a little longer and you can go 75mph the whole way. Much better roads.

PappaFeelGood
10-29-2014, 03:32 PM
That route is a twisty ass way to go. Drove those FMs as growing up. I'd advise take 79 to Taylor then 95 to Holland then 2268 to Salado. It's a little longer and you can go 75mph the whole way. Much better roads.

What about the toll road Pud? It hits 35 just north of Georgetown. It is usually smooth sailing. Just a thought.

Scoop27
10-29-2014, 04:53 PM
Wish La Grange and El Campo were in the same division again-Would love to see a rematch from last year

Pudlugger
10-29-2014, 05:41 PM

Good idea I can take 71 to Bastrop and 95 all the way up to Holland and cut west on 2268. Thanks.

Papafeelgood, I would avoid the toll road too expensive at $18 round trip. Also would have to take I 35 for 40 miles in rush hour traffic and construction.

Buff I look forward to seeing the Leps bench have some playing time in this one. I expect the 1st team will be out before the half.

lostaussie
10-29-2014, 05:52 PM
Hard to say Leopardfan, they both have been 1-2 for several weeks now. Based on strenght of schedule Lg has the upper hand. Based on points scored and allowed Gilmer has the lead. My hope is we can settle this in December. My analysis of the road to that game is this for LG:

Round 1 Columbus
Round 2 Orangefield
Round 3 Bellville
Round 4 WOS
Round 5 Cuero
Round 6 Gilmer

Based on strength of schedule Salado probably has the upper hand over us!! We can only play who they put in our district.

WOS1
10-29-2014, 06:39 PM

Round 1 Columbus
Round 2 Orangefield
Round 3 Bellville
Round 4 WOS
Round 5 Cuero
Round 6 Gilmer

I see a whole bunch of counting chickens on this thread... "unstoppable"???, yeah you are as long as your playing teams who can't match up with you... Then you run into a team that can and the unbelievable happens. Dobbins and Hutchison are outstanding players, no doubt. But there ARE teams lurking out there that will be able to match up with their speed and quickness, and with no passing game I would not be so confident. Not knocking LG in anyway, but you gotta keep it real.

Pudlugger
10-29-2014, 07:16 PM
I see a whole bunch of counting chickens on this thread... "unstoppable"???, yeah you are as long as your playing teams who can't match up with you... Then you run into a team that can and the unbelievable happens. Dobbins and Hutchison are outstanding players, no doubt. But there ARE teams lurking out there that will be able to match up with their speed and quickness, and with no passing game I would not be so confident. Not knocking LG in anyway, but you gotta keep it real.

First of all, I believe it was another LG poster who said "unstopable". Secondly, the Leps have played some pretty decent teams including La Vernia, Liberty Hill and Giddings and our offense managed to put up plenty of points in those games. Finally, we do have a decent passing game but have not been forced to go to the air to win any of our games. We score on average 2 tds per game on passing plays. I don't want to get into a pissing match with anyone about which team is better than the other. I listed the projected route to the SC as I see it. I never said we would for sure win these games I only listed the games that would be necessary for us to get the SC.
Getting there is a long hard road especially after round two. Talent, coaching and good luck all play a role and that is what makes it so interesting.

WOS1
10-29-2014, 08:04 PM
First of all, I believe it was another LG poster who said "unstopable". Secondly, the Leps have played some pretty decent teams including La Vernia, Liberty Hill and Giddings and our offense managed to put up plenty of points in those games. Finally, we do have a decent passing game but have not been forced to go to the air to win any of our games. We score on average 2 tds per game on passing plays. I don't want to get into a pissing match with anyone about which team is better than the other. I listed the projected route to the SC as I see it. I never said we would for sure win these games I only listed the games that would be necessary for us to get the SC.
Getting there is a long hard road especially after round two. Talent, coaching and good luck all play a role and that is what makes it so interesting.

While I did use your quote, my comments weren't directed at you only. Two of the three teams you name are not known for having much speed. Giddings has decent speed, I wouldn't consider them fast. Not wanting a pissing match either, I just see a whole bunch of Gilmer/LG talk... You guys are a looooong way from that happening.

Pudlugger
10-29-2014, 10:40 PM
While I did use your quote, my comments weren't directed at you only. Two of the three teams you name are not known for having much speed. Giddings has decent speed, I wouldn't consider them fast. Not wanting a pissing match either, I just see a whole bunch of Gilmer/LG talk... You guys are a looooong way from that happening.

Actually much of the Gilmer-LG talk was initiated by WOS posters and Gilmer posters. My biggest concern in the playoff scenario is round three which would be either WOS or HJ. The outcome of your game Friday definitely has my attention. I'm confident that LG can get to round three but as you have pointed out things get much more difficult at that level.

hookandladder
10-30-2014, 07:46 AM

I will admitt I have my reservations about our passing game also when facing a team that has some athletes in the secondary however you may be able to slow down our running game but you will not stop it from scoring, Dobbins speed is second to none and he is one of the strongest runners in 3A. With Dobbins and Hutchinson in the same backfield there are not many teams in 3A that can shut those two players down and the OL is pretty salty itself, should be some interesting games in Region 3 playoffs. If you come out of Region 3, you definitely have a solid team.

WOS1
10-30-2014, 11:11 PM
I will admitt I have my reservations about our passing game also when facing a team that has some athletes in the secondary however you may be able to slow down our running game but you will not stop it from scoring, Dobbins speed is second to none and he is one of the strongest runners in 3A. With Dobbins and Hutchinson in the same backfield there are not many teams in 3A that can shut those two players down and the OL is pretty salty itself, should be some interesting games in Region 3 playoffs. If you come out of Region 3, you definitely have a solid team.

Agreed

Pudlugger
10-31-2014, 08:38 AM
Gameday is here and the Leps will close out the season tonight against the hapless 0-8 Salado Eagles. I noticed the Sideline to Sideline this week pointed out La Grange's defense has given up 73 points in two games or half of all points given up in the 9 games played this season against unranked Caldwell and Giiddings. Hopefully the Leopards have addressed the issues responsible for this apparent lapse (particularly our secondary and pass coverage) and will get the shutout tonight to set the tone for the playoffs. Good luck to the Leps and may this game be clean and injury free.

Pudlugger
11-01-2014, 12:47 AM
La Grange finished the regular season with perfect 10-0 record after beating Salado 52-7. With the score 35-0 midway into the second quarter Coach Kates took out the first team and played the bench. It was 45-0 at the half. Everyone got to play in the 2nd half giving well deserved reps for our bench. Several JV players brought up tonight showed promise in a drive to the 1 before a fumble on the goal line deprived them of a td. Great season Leps now on to the playoffs after an extra week to prepare.

LG 10-0 best record currently in 4a! :)

Pudlugger
11-01-2014, 11:27 AM
Last night Hutchison made a beautiful 90 yard td run around the right corner that was called back for holding. The call was against our wr in the block against the CB that sprung Hutchison free. It looked questionable and the ref threw the flag but I would like to see the film on that. To me it looked like a legit block but I could only see the right hand not the left. Anyway Hutchison had another long td jaunt and was unstoppable as was Dobbins capped by his own 94 yard run from LOS. Our defensive secondary showed some improvement but Salado is not a good measure. With Columbus coming up we might not face another passing team until late in the playoffs(WOS likely) if we keep winning.

WOS1
11-01-2014, 02:22 PM
Last night Hutchison made a beautiful 90 yard td run around the right corner that was called back for holding. The call was against our wr in the block against the CB that sprung Hutchison free. It looked questionable and the ref threw the flag but I would like to see the film on that. To me it looked like a legit block but I could only see the right hand not the left. Anyway Hutchison had another long td jaunt and was unstoppable as was Dobbins capped by his own 94 yard run from LOS. Our defensive secondary showed some improvement but Salado is not a good measure. With Columbus coming up we might not face another passing team until late in the playoffs(WOS likely) if we keep winning.

A bunch of things shaking out this week making the playoff pic much clearer. Looks like the bottom bracket maybe the tougher of the two with Bellville, HJ and LG all fighting it out. We will have La Marque, but I wonder about them with 2 really close games against HISD schools the last 2 weeks. They were down 26-7 at the half last week against Kashmere. Anyway, I love this time of year.

Pudlugger
11-01-2014, 02:38 PM
A bunch of things shaking out this week making the playoff pic much clearer. Looks like the bottom bracket maybe the tougher of the two with Bellville, HJ and LG all fighting it out. We will have La Marque, but I wonder about them with 2 really close games against HISD schools the last 2 weeks. They were down 26-7 at the half last week against Kashmere. Anyway, I love this time of year.

The point of my post is that if Giddings ends up in WOS bracket they likely will meet up in either the second or third round. Giddings is a good match for WOS with similar offenses and speed and players at skill positions. I would keep my eye on them if I were WOS. HJ and Bellville both run similar offenses but Bellville has the stronger D so I would favor them. If LG meets either of them in round three I am comfortable with our chances.

Leopardfan201
11-01-2014, 03:03 PM
I like LG chances too in the bottom bracket. I do not think Bellville or Hardin J can stop our running game. JK and Branlon r 2 very special RB, and too beat LG your going have too stop them bcs they r on beast mode every game

Pudlugger
11-01-2014, 04:50 PM
I like LG chances too in the bottom bracket. I do not think Bellville or Hardin J can stop our running game. JK and Branlon r 2 very special RB, and too beat LG your going have too stop them bcs they r on beast mode every game

Bellville and HJ run similar offenses the wing t or slot t. The Leps have done very well against good teams running this offense. To name three Liberty Hill, La Vernia and Caldwell. In the playoffs we will start off against a run oriented veer offense in Columbus. Orangefield is primarily a run oriented offense too. So if we advance to the third round the Leps will be tuned up to defend either Bellville or HJ high octane running offenses.

My worry is our defense against a good passing team like WOS. I noted last night the Leps were trying out different looks to our secondary and I know the coaches are working on this. I hope we don't get rolled by an air attack again this year like in the semifinal against Carthage. We have three outstanding defensive backs who can hang with anyone in our division and we need to find a forth to fill out the flush.

WOS1
11-02-2014, 09:31 AM
The point of my post is that if Giddings ends up in WOS bracket they likely will meet up in either the second or third round. Giddings is a good match for WOS with similar offenses and speed and players at skill positions. I would keep my eye on them if I were WOS. HJ and Bellville both run similar offenses but Bellville has the stronger D so I would favor them. If LG meets either of them in round three I am comfortable with our chances.

Is Giddings the runner-up in that district? I will also tell you the same with OF. Don't sleep on them, they will be a tough out.

Pudlugger
11-02-2014, 10:22 AM
Is Giddings the runner-up in that district? I will also tell you the same with OF. Don't sleep on them, they will be a tough out.

Giddings plays Caldwell Friday. The winner will be 2nd and the loser 3rd in district. It will be close and either team will be tough but sense Caldwell runs the slot t WOS would be able to defense them better than Giddings with their efficient spread offense and fast tall WRs and rb Hickey. It comes down to the match ups.

The Leps will not look past any opponent in the playoffs. They will be ready each week to take care of business. This isn't their first rodeo.