PDA

View Full Version : Season Surprises- Better/Worse?

Bullaholic
10-22-2014, 09:00 AM
Which teams do you think are the most surprising (better or worse) at this point in the season?

BB BULLS
10-22-2014, 09:09 AM
for surprises i will have to say the Brahmas after losing the whole offensive side of the ball. we have played well, just two wins away from district title. not bad IMO

bobcat1
10-22-2014, 09:28 AM
Dallas Cowboys

lostaussie
10-22-2014, 09:34 AM
Gladewater. After basically having a cake walk to the fourth round last year and then getting blown away by the Argyllians, I expected them to be better........just not this much better. I firmly believe they are the only thing standing between Gilmer and a date with one of the region 3 or 4 teams. Even though they eased into the 4th round, they seem to have a newfound confidence and it shows in the way they play. Not only that but it makes the 13 mile distance between the 2 towns just a bit more interesting.

lostaussie
10-22-2014, 09:35 AM
Dallas Cowboys

We have a winner:D

waterboy
10-22-2014, 10:31 AM
Tatum, Carthage, and Kilgore struggling as bad as they are is a surprise to me. Gladewater is not that much of a surprise to me. I fully expected Gladewater to be better, I just thought it would take them a few games under the new head coach. They'll snap out of it in the fourth round, though.:D;)

Bullaholic
10-22-2014, 10:48 AM
How about Van at 7-0 and Hardin-Jefferson at 8-0?

Truthful Tiger
10-22-2014, 11:39 AM
I agree with BB Bulls - Bellville for the good, they are doing awesome after losing everyone.

Sealy for the bad, after only losing a few seniors, very disappointing season thus far.

Aguilafanatico
10-22-2014, 01:28 PM
I agree with BB Bulls - Bellville for the good, they are doing awesome after losing everyone.

Sealy for the bad, after only losing a few seniors, very disappointing season thus far.

Argyle. After seeing the non district schedule come out I was certain they would not be undefeated at this point in the season. I assumed it would take them sometime to gain steam which has been the case, but they have done so while getting through some tough competition.

Aguilafanatico
10-22-2014, 01:30 PM
Argyle. After seeing the non district schedule come out I was certain they would not be undefeated at this point in the season. I assumed it would take them sometime to gain steam which has been the case, but they have done so while getting through some tough competition.

Also Carter. Everyone had them making a run after dropping down in classification. Obviously not the case.

Gen.Pat
10-22-2014, 06:28 PM
Positive Bridgeport and Sunnyvale plus the Cowboys.

Negative Godley, Tatum, Alvarado, and our neighbors Grandview.

Those are my surprises for the Season so far.

icu812
10-23-2014, 12:42 PM
How about Van at 7-0 and Hardin-Jefferson at 8-0?

Not surprised at Van, we lost a bunch of close games last year and then ran into a great Kilgore team in Rd. 1. We returned almost every player plus added some speed with a few new players. Very senior heavy team. This years schedule has not been as tough as last years so it's no surprise we're 7-0. What is a surprise is how Van has won. 6 out of 7 games have been by 30+ points. Our defense against spread teams has also been a surprise, our secondary and speed on D is much improved. Our weakness is probably our smallish size on D (which hurt us against a big powerful Athens offense) and we commit to many penalties on offense. On the plus side our kicking game and kick coverage unit has been outstanding. Also lots of big plays on offense which didn't happen much last year. This years team is probably our best team since the 2009 team that lost the regional championship to state champ Prosper. I don't know if it will happen but this team is talented enough to be 12-0 going into a 3rd round match up with Argyle.

Johnny Utah
10-23-2014, 04:59 PM
Bridgeport in Basketball....watch out!!! Loaded with some home school move ins!! Oh we are talking football...hands down the Dallas Cowboys as most surprising!!

Leopardfan201
10-23-2014, 05:24 PM
I think La Grange is a surprise after only returning 7 starters from last years 14/1 state semifinals. Only returning branlon Hutchison and jk dobbins and a few others to be one of the elite teams in 4A once again

regaleagle
10-23-2014, 06:01 PM
I'm just surprised it's already Week 9 and Stephenville hasn't even ordered their rings yet, lol.

Leopardfan201
10-23-2014, 06:55 PM
I'm just surprised it's already Week 9 and Stephenville hasn't even ordered their rings yet, lol.

I hate too tell u but if they play Navasota thr not going to win

Aguilafanatico
10-23-2014, 07:03 PM
I hate too tell u but if they play Navasota thr not going to win

Navasota parade committee picked the route yet?

navscanmaster
10-23-2014, 07:25 PM
Navasota parade committee picked the route yet?
No parade committees there. Only sidewalk planter installation committees.

OldBison75
10-23-2014, 09:17 PM
There is still too much football against too many good teams to be planning any parade. I can assure you that this team is thinking only one game at a time right now, even in this district. They know they can be in Dallas for the SC game, but they also know that they have to play every week like it is the last game to get there.

By the way, if they do win it all, the parade route won't be complicated. There are two main roads through Navasota and the school is on one of them. Plus, they have done this before so the route would be ready LOL!!!!

buckeyebob
10-24-2014, 07:23 AM
Gladewater. After basically having a cake walk to the fourth round last year and then getting blown away by the Argyllians, I expected them to be better........just not this much better. I firmly believe they are the only thing standing between Gilmer and a date with one of the region 3 or 4 teams. Even though they eased into the 4th round, they seem to have a newfound confidence and it shows in the way they play. Not only that but it makes the 13 mile distance between the 2 towns just a bit more interesting.

The only thing Gladewater has on Gilmer is Chicken Express

buckeyebob
10-24-2014, 07:44 AM
Tatum...1st half was all Buckeyes...2nd half was all Eagles accept the last minute...Eagle Ball, 35-35, & they pass for a pick (the gasp was thunderous)...Buckeyes Carter hits Lynch with 21 second left... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgsuW36dvvQ&feature=youtu.be ...they have struggled since...I hope they make the playoffs

ahs_indian_fan
10-24-2014, 08:37 AM
Positive Bridgeport and Sunnyvale plus the Cowboys.

Negative Godley, Tatum, Alvarado, and our neighbors Grandview.

Those are my surprises for the Season so far.

I don't know that I'd call Godley or Alvarado negative surprises. If Godley was still on their first quarterback and not their fourth then I would be surprised. As for Alvarado things have went just about as expected with 8-10 sophomores. I think the expectations for the Indians were to struggle and learn/develop/come together (whichever cliche you want to use) early and start playing their best ball when district starts. Seems like that is exactly what's happened.

Positive surprises: Venus (2-0 in district and 27-7 over Madison? Where'd that come from?)

Lion70
10-24-2014, 08:51 AM
Henderson is 5-1 after going 3-7 last year. Coaching made a difference.

Lion70
10-24-2014, 08:57 AM
Houston Scarborough is a playoff team despite a 44 game losing streak. Could become the first ever 0-11 team.