PDA

View Full Version : 4 Teams Making The Playoffs From Each District...

The Bull #40
10-20-2014, 11:04 AM
What's everyone's take on this matter? I know it'll mean more games and more money for UIL but I'm totally against it. I think only two teams from each district should make playoffs, and make a DC mean something again. I feel like 4 teams making the playoffs is like giving almost every team a participation ribbon and will lead to even more blowouts and poor games in the early rounds....

Trashman
10-20-2014, 11:15 AM
:ditto:

EagleEye
10-20-2014, 11:21 AM
I agree with you that it should be only two teams. Unfortunate as it is some really good teams can get injuries in some of the blow out games that end their chances of advancing. Just my thoughts.

Txbroadcaster
10-20-2014, 11:35 AM
I love the play offs..so give me 4 teams, which means more games. Cannot see anything wrong with that

pirate4state
10-20-2014, 11:42 AM
In our district this year - it would have sucked to only have the top 2 teams make it when I think all 4 teams that will make the playoffs are worthy and better than most others :D

Sweetwater Red
10-20-2014, 11:42 AM
Cannot see anything wrong with that

I don't care either way but seeing a team in the playoffs that is a 74 point underdog
in the first round seems wrong and raises some eyebrows.

toddg
10-20-2014, 11:51 AM
DC still means something..means a top seed in playoffs 1 and 2 plays 3s an 4s 1st round..so if you finish 3rd or 4th you will have to play a 1st or 2nd in first round

AggiesAreWe
10-20-2014, 11:54 AM
10-4A DII district is a prime example of 4 teams making playoffs to be totally absurd.

Houston Scarborough will be on a 57 game losing streak entering the playoffs and will be the first team in Texas High School history to go 0-11 in a season.

If UIL is dead set on 4 teams qualifying, then make every district at least 7 team districts. No more 4,5,6 team districts.

AggiesAreWe
10-20-2014, 11:56 AM
Also, I would like a district championship to mean something by having the district champ host the 1st round playoff game. #1 seeds should at least get a home game in first round.

GrTigers6
10-20-2014, 11:56 AM
There has also been several districts that have had all four teams advance 3-4 rounds deep and in fact were only eliminated by their district foe. So I like the 4 team set up. And especially as an official because that means more opportunities for more playoff games for us.

Rabid Cougar
10-20-2014, 12:00 PM
there has also been several districts that have had all four teams advance 3-4 rounds deep and in fact were only eliminated by their district foe. So i like the 4 team set up. And especially as an official because that means more opportunities for more playoff games for us.

this^^^^^^^^

Rocket Man
10-20-2014, 12:24 PM
What's everyone's take on this matter? I know it'll mean more games and more money for UIL but I'm totally against it. I think only two teams from each district should make playoffs, and make a DC mean something again. I feel like 4 teams making the playoffs is like giving almost every team a participation ribbon and will lead to even more blowouts and poor games in the early rounds....

I lean more towards the top two teams. I don't know how the money flows, so how does the UIL profit? Do they get a cut of the gate?

panfan
10-20-2014, 12:33 PM
DC still means something..means a top seed in playoffs 1 and 2 plays 3s an 4s 1st round..so if you finish 3rd or 4th you will have to play a 1st or 2nd in first round

:iagree: The DC does still mean something and is a separate issue from how many teams go to playoffs. Four teams going hasn't seemed to have had much of a negative effect. If a team sucks, its quickly revealed in the first round, if not they continue.

pirate4state
10-20-2014, 12:53 PM
Also, I would like a district championship to mean something by having the district champ host the 1st round playoff game. #1 seeds should at least get a home game in first round.

#UILAthletics amendment passed: Pilot program for 2015 football playoffs (6A only), providing home field advantage to higher seed in 1st rd.

All approved amendments will now go to the Commissioner of Education for approval. If approved, they will take effect August 1, 2015.

Maybe in the near future?

OLE'BULL
10-20-2014, 01:55 PM
It was fine when just 3 teams went to the playoffs. If there are 4 playoff worthy teams and one doesn't make it, well, that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. Do better next year. In our district, one pretty lousy team will be going to the playoffs. In others, there might be a good team who stays home. That is just the luck of the draw when realignments come out. In high school football, there are plenty of "swings" when it comes to how good teams are. So while your team might normally sit home if only 2-3 teams go, in a couple years your team might be going to the playoffs and the good teams of the past might stay home. Everybody can't get a trophy, 4 teams is TOO MANY!

cougartino
10-20-2014, 02:20 PM
10-4A DII district is a prime example of 4 teams making playoffs to be totally absurd.

Houston Scarborough will be on a 57 game losing streak entering the playoffs and will be the first team in Texas High School history to go 0-11 in a season.

If UIL is dead set on 4 teams qualifying, then make every district at least 7 team districts. No more 4,5,6 team districts.

Make that 0-22 because they're in next year, too. Wish the UIL could have just moved someone from a nearby 6 district team.

waterboy
10-20-2014, 02:28 PM
Wow! 0-10 and still makes the playoffs. That's a bit much. I'm pretty sure they'll be eliminated ASAP. With the new 4A split format, I think three teams would've been plenty. As for being fair, there are some districts that are stacked, while others are weak. It'll all come turn out the same, though. The cream always comes out on top.

The Bull #40
10-20-2014, 03:08 PM
I agree with you that it should be only two teams. Unfortunate as it is some really good teams can get injuries in some of the blow out games that end their chances of advancing. Just my thoughts.

Exactly, the playoffs are meant for two good teams to play a hard fought, close game. That's not always the case, but blowouts should be minimal in the playoffs and I think 4 teams advancing is going to maximize the number of blowouts AND unnecessary injuries in the early rounds.

The Bull #40
10-20-2014, 03:09 PM

Clearly proving my point. A winless or one-win team SHOULD NOT be in the playoffs regardless of who they played. The larger districts is an interesting idea...

GrTigers6
10-20-2014, 03:41 PM

If UIL is dead set on 4 teams qualifying, then make every district at least 7 team districts. No more 4,5,6 team districts.What no confidence in Scarborough to win a playoff game? :D

Bosqueville
10-20-2014, 03:44 PM
I love the play offs..so give me 4 teams, which means more games. Cannot see anything wrong with that

I agree! Yes there will be some blowouts but there will be more than a few head scratching upsets and that's what I like!

defense51
10-20-2014, 03:49 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like Henderson finished 3rd in their district in 2010, then went on to win a state championship. In a two team format, the state champions wouldn't have even made the playoffs...

waterboy
10-20-2014, 04:21 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like Henderson finished 3rd in their district in 2010, then went on to win a state championship. In a two team format, the state champions wouldn't have even made the playoffs...

This is true. That's why I said some districts can be stacked, and that helps make it fair for those teams that make 3rd or 4th place in that district. The 4th place team of one district may be better than the 1st place team of another district. I like it, but there are situations I don't agree with such as with 4-team districts. There should be at least 5 teams in a district. At least they would have to actually EARN a win.

d0tc0m
10-20-2014, 04:22 PM
For me, three is borderline, but four is just dumb. There's no need for that. Very rarely will you find a district with four legitimate teams that can make a semi-decent playoff run. But even with four teams, it's a better format than the garbage here in Missouri. Up here, every single team in the state makes the playoffs. It's a nine-week season, and week 10 — which is actually this Friday — starts the 'district playoffs.' The districts are seeded by a point system, which considers record, playing up/down, strength of schedule, and out-of-state matchups. So you think you have some lopsided first-rounders there, you should see some of the crap up here.

A couple of years ago, when MSHSAA — the HS sports governing body up here — approved this new format, I basically asked the head of the group why they didn't adopt a format similar to Texas, and he told me it was because 'Missouri didn't want to be like Texas.' So I asked him if he was proud of having HS football more comparable to Indiana than the Mecca of all HS football just to prove a point, and he laughed and hung up on me.

WOS87
10-20-2014, 04:24 PM
Well Division 2 Region III is the extreme....

Rather than saying 4 teams qualifying per district you should be discussing the 3 teams in the entire REGION NOT qualifying since there are only 19 teams and the way it's looking Liberty, Brookshire Royal and Salado are the favorites.

What it really comes down to is money money money.

Smitty
10-20-2014, 06:06 PM
I'm not opposed to the current format, but I do have a problem with a four team district. At the least another team should be added to that district. There is no incentive for the weak team to get better.

buckeyebob
10-20-2014, 06:42 PM
I don't care either way but seeing a team in the playoffs that is a 74 point underdog
in the first round seems wrong and raises some eyebrows.

There will always be one or two

Saggy Aggie
10-20-2014, 08:02 PM
Growing number of schools means growing number of playoff teams...

Not saying 4 isn't too many but this isn't 1980 anymore

gambler1606
10-20-2014, 08:22 PM

Totally Agree Bull!

toddg
10-20-2014, 08:44 PM
Growing number of schools means growing number of playoff teams...

Not saying 4 isn't too many but this isn't 1980 anymore
I wish it was 1980..I was on a HOT streak that summer!!

Roughneck93
10-20-2014, 09:00 PM
#UILAthletics amendment passed: Pilot program for 2015 football playoffs (6A only), providing home field advantage to higher seed in 1st rd.

All approved amendments will now go to the Commissioner of Education for approval. If approved, they will take effect August 1, 2015.

Maybe in the near future?

:2thumbsup

AggiesAreWe
10-20-2014, 09:34 PM
Well Division 2 Region III is the extreme....

Rather than saying 4 teams qualifying per district you should be discussing the 3 teams in the entire REGION NOT qualifying since there are only 19 teams and the way it's looking Liberty, Brookshire Royal and Salado are the favorites.

What it really comes down to is money money money.

Right. Only 3 teams in the entire Region III DII will not make playoffs. Something very wrong with that.

Like you said 87, it's all about the green (greed)

cougartino
10-21-2014, 04:24 AM
Remember when the NHL had 21 teams and 16 made the playoffs?

XMan
10-21-2014, 05:42 AM
Cut the regular season back to 9 games. Most teams make the playoffs and get that 10th game anyways. This would cut down on travel and injuries. Also, they cut number of games in all team sports EXCEPT football last year, so time to even it up.

pirate4state
10-21-2014, 10:37 AM
Cut the regular season back to 9 games. Most teams make the playoffs and get that 10th game anyways. This would cut down on travel and injuries. Also, they cut number of games in all team sports EXCEPT football last year, so time to even it up.

LOL yeah, that ain't gonna happen. Like it or not football is where you make the most $$$

garageoffice
10-21-2014, 01:51 PM
There has also been several districts that have had all four teams advance 3-4 rounds deep and in fact were only eliminated by their district foe. So I like the 4 team set up. And especially as an official because that means more opportunities for more playoff games for us.

This is a good point, but it is BY FAR the exception, not the rule. In most cases you wind up with teams with vastly inferior skills and athleticism, usually with a 3-7 record, playing a district champion that blows them out without even trying. That's not playoff football...that's just humiliation and it makes a mockery of the entire process. If you want to get into the playoffs, you need to beat the teams in your district for that privilege.

GrTigers6
10-21-2014, 02:54 PM
This is a good point, but it is BY FAR the exception, not the rule. In most cases you wind up with teams with vastly inferior skills and athleticism, usually with a 3-7 record, playing a district champion that blows them out without even trying. That's not playoff football...that's just humiliation and it makes a mockery of the entire process. If you want to get into the playoffs, you need to beat the teams in your district for that privilege.I agree however you have some teams that took a little longer than others to get on a role. Like (03-04) (not sure on years) North Crowley team that was 4th in their district and won state. If I have to watch 4 blowouts to see a 4th place team win it all I will take that trade everytime