PDA

View Full Version : Region 3 Week 9 GOTW: Stafford (5-3, 1-1) @ Columbia (7-0, 2-0)

SHSBulldog00
10-20-2014, 12:58 AM
Spartans and Necks

Necked
10-20-2014, 10:46 PM
Per the Prognosticators:
Pigskin Prep Stafford at West Columbia (1)
Padilla Poll Columbia over Stafford by 1

cards4me
10-22-2014, 10:11 AM
Per the Prognosticators:

I think Stafford has the better team at this point. Stafford by 6 points. It will be a good game. I wish I could be there.

bird_fan
10-22-2014, 04:06 PM
Hard one too call I believe Stafford had slightly tougher schedule. But I think the necks pull it out. at home setting up a regular season ending show down with the Ricebirds

Saggy Aggie
10-22-2014, 06:00 PM
Who all has Stafford lost to? Their schedule has definitely been tougher than WC's... Oughta be a good game

sk1
10-22-2014, 06:07 PM
Who all has Stafford lost to? Their schedule has definitely been tougher than WC's... Oughta be a good game

Stafford has lost to St Pius and El Campo.

Saggy Aggie
10-22-2014, 06:43 PM
Well their record on the thread title is wrong...

Stafford has impressive wins over EB, Bellville and Wharton.... hmm...

Necked
10-22-2014, 08:22 PM
Well their record on the thread title is wrong...

Stafford has impressive wins over EB, Bellville and Wharton.... hmm...

They also give up a lot on defense. They haven't really been able to stop anyone consistently, even Bay City put 300 yrds on them. Columbia has shown they can play some defense, & they should be back to full strength on the line for this game...

ECBirdFan
10-23-2014, 01:17 PM
What was the deal last week with Needville? They were down 24-7 at one time.
If Stafford is still thinking about that game last week I see WC beating them.
If Stafford is over that game I see them taking care of WC.

Saggy Aggie
10-23-2014, 01:28 PM
Looks like WC overlooked Needville pretty bad

Saggy Aggie
10-23-2014, 01:29 PM
They also give up a lot on defense. They haven't really been able to stop anyone consistently, even Bay City put 300 yrds on them. Columbia has shown they can play some defense, & they should be back to full strength on the line for this game...
Who has been out?

Elmo
10-23-2014, 04:50 PM
Necks take care of business again this week move to 8-0.

Necked
10-23-2014, 09:21 PM
Who has been out?

Martinez sat out as a precautionary measure.

speedbump
10-23-2014, 11:38 PM
Per the Prognosticators:

I've looked at this game from 47 different angles and I was still stuck between PS Prep and the Padilla poll picks so I flipped a coin. Then I cut the cards for each team,then I drew high domino for each and finally I rolled the dice. Still no answer. There was only one thing left to do. I ate a half gallon of Blue Bell, farted and took Stafford by a field goal.

Saggy Aggie
10-24-2014, 11:30 AM
Is this game at 7 or 7:30?

Necked
10-24-2014, 01:07 PM
thefacts Capsule

STAFFORD SPARTANS (1-1, 5-2) AT COLUMBIA ROUGHNECKS (2-0, 7-0)

7:30 p.m. today, Griggs Field

OVERVIEW: Columbia was on the verge of losing its first game of the season last week against Needville (49-38), but fought back to overtake the Bluejays. The Roughnecks cannot look past the Spartans. The ‘Necks are averaging 411.9 yards offensively while giving up 190.4 per game. Junior Dakarius Bell (167-1,123 rushing yards, 6.72 per carry, 12 TDs) is second in district as is quarterback Jarius Kesee (45-72-2, 788 passing yards, seven TDs). In 10 previous meetings, the Roughnecks hold a 9-1 advantage, losing to Stafford for the first time last year (34-27).

Stafford is averaging 298 offensive yards and are second in defense, giving up 227.3 yars a game. Bryan Imarenezar (119-727 yards, 6.11 per carry, nine TDs) is the leading ground-gainer with Curtis Robinson (32-57-1, 441 yards, five TDs) taking care of the quarterback duties. Hezekiah Jones (23-471 yards, 20.48 per catch, four TDs) leads the district in receptions.

This game will be broadcasts on sportslegacynetwork.com.

Saggy Aggie
10-24-2014, 01:30 PM
7:30 p.m. today

Thanks, for some reason maxpreps said 7

Dub-C
10-24-2014, 03:02 PM
They don't have Maleek Goins, but they will get a lot of him this week. He has as many TD's in 3 games as their leading rusher has. 7 TD's so far for Goins, Other teams don't understand how dangerous he is till they see it for themselves. Bell will have to be accounted for also and that is no easy task. Defense has to get a couple of stops and I see WC winning but only if the defense can get some stops.

Roughneck93
10-25-2014, 09:12 AM
’Necks tough out win over Stafford

By Anthony Maenza sports@thefacts.com | Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2014 2:00 am

WEST COLUMBIA — In a tough, grind-it-out game, the Columbia Roughnecks showed what they were made of as they beat Stafford 23-16 Friday to stay unbeaten for the season.

The victory looks like it clinches Columbia (8-0, 3-0 in District 12-4A Div. I play) a spot in the playoffs with two games left in the season.

“This was a battle. I knew it was going to be a battle,” Columbia coach Randy Lynch said. “Stafford is a well-coached football team.”

There was nothing fancy in the way the Roughnecks won the game: a tough running game and defense.

The Roughnecks rushed for 314 yards on 52 carries. Running back Dakarius Bell had the bulk of that yardage as he accounted for 210 yards. While most of Bell’s yards were hard-earned, perhaps his best run came with about 45 seconds remaining in the game. Columbia faced third and 11, but Bell imposed his will on the Spartan defense to get the yardage necessary for the first down. The play allowed Columbia to run the clock out.

“He ran the ball hard,” Lynch said. “He kind of tweaked his ankle in the first half, but he came out in the second half and ran hard.”

The Columbia defense limited the Spartan offense to 225 total yards. Brian Imarenozor accounted for 166 of those yards on the ground. Columbia limited Stafford to 85 yards in the first half. They also picked up two turnovers in the first two quarters.

“We were kind of banged up, but they gutted it out and played well,” Lynch said. “This was a great win for our program.”
After a scoreless first quarter, Stafford grabbed a 3-0 lead on a 34-yard field goal off the toe of Gabriel Sanchez with 11:04 left in the second quarter.

Columbia responded in a big way. Bell broke loose on a 69-yard run down to the Stafford 7 to put the Roughnecks in scoring position. Two plays later, quarterback Jarius Kesee went in from five yards out with 9:01 left in the first half. Jacob Comer’s kick put Columbia up 7-3. Kesee’s run capped a 75-yard drive.

With 1:37 left in the half, Roughneck receiver Caylon Fletcher finished off a 51-yard drive when he caught a 28-yard touchdown pass from Kesee on a third-and-15 play to help put the Roughnecks up 14-3.

Then with seven seconds left in the first half, Columbia’s Maleek Goins intercepted a Dylan Stewart pass and returned it 88 yards for the touchdown. A two-point conversion run failed, leaving Columbia up 20-3 at halftime.

Imarenozor cut into the Columbia lead when he scored on a 37-yard run with 9:36 left in the third quarter. The kick failed, leaving Columbia with a 20-9 advantage.

Columbia got some of those points back with 3:49 left in the third quarter when Comer kicked a 40-yard field goal to put Columbia up by 14.

Stafford started the fourth quarter with a seven-yard touchdown pass from Stewart to Daniel Ponce with 11:50 left in the game. The extra-point kick from John Cortes left Stafford down by seven.

Stafford got the ball back with 6:25 left after holding on a fourth and short at their own 15. The Spartans drove as far as the Columbia 45 and had fourth and short with 4:20 left, but an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty forced the Spartans to punt.

On Columbia’s final possession, Bell picked up three first downs, including one on fourth and 1 at the Stafford 50 with 2:35 left in the game.

http://thefacts.com/sports/article_13458cfa-c638-54cf-861e-c4d394e34bf4.html

regaleagle
10-26-2014, 02:58 AM
Congrats to the Roughnecks on a big win. I sure the fanbase at West Columbia is just buzzing with excitement and support for the team.