PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys vs Giants

Roughneck93
10-19-2014, 01:48 PM
Cowboys improve to 6-1....

Bullaholic
10-19-2014, 02:00 PM
I hope the Cowboys new found confidence will carry them thru this game. In the past they have had some letdowns against teams they should have beaten. Let's hope not today.

eagleqb_14
10-19-2014, 02:26 PM
Cowboys by 14

eagleqb_14
10-19-2014, 02:28 PM
I have a feeling Murray will come out and have a career game today, but at the same time I have an odd feeling about todays game. Not a bad feeling, just an odd feeling. I think it's just flashbacks from previous seasons...Go Cowboys

Roughneck93
10-19-2014, 03:41 PM
Great start....

SintonFan_inAustin
10-19-2014, 03:52 PM
that was not a first down

defense51
10-19-2014, 03:52 PM
That spot was about 12"-18" farther that it should be...

Roughneck93
10-19-2014, 04:24 PM
:ack!:

Farmersfan
10-19-2014, 04:34 PM
Sometimes when the running game is not an advantage the passing game is required to slow down the aggressiveness of the defense. So far Dallas is running too much.............

Roughneck93
10-19-2014, 04:37 PM
:clap:

Roughneck93
10-19-2014, 05:23 PM
Great throw and catch....

Bullaholic
10-19-2014, 05:24 PM
Escobar looks to have WR speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Farmersfan
10-19-2014, 05:45 PM
Escobar looks to have WR speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea, Witten is awesome but Escobar makes Witten look like he's running in mud! :crazy1:

Farmersfan
10-19-2014, 05:49 PM
Very disappointing that our D-line hasn't been able to get to Manning.................

Roughneck93
10-19-2014, 05:52 PM
Wow, what a play!

Looks like Dez was short on that play though.

Saggy Aggie
10-19-2014, 05:56 PM
Even though they ruled him just short, that was a great throw and catch to set up the TD.

Cowpies picking right where they left off last week. I still have faith Tony can screw it up in the playoffs

Roughneck93
10-19-2014, 06:00 PM
http://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/2370064/escobar.0.gif

Farmersfan
10-19-2014, 06:17 PM
Even though they ruled him just short, that was a great throw and catch to set up the TD.

Cowpies picking right where they left off last week. I still have faith Tony can screw it up in the playoffs

For a while I thought this was going to be one of those Romo days. He was not reading the defense very well and was making bad decsions early on. But damn he has played a hell of a game in the second half. Some great throws! Dez is unstoppable if Romo puts the ball where he has been...

Roughneck93
10-19-2014, 06:25 PM
6-1...:cheerl:

bobcat1
10-19-2014, 06:36 PM
Nice win even though secondary had a bad day. 6-1 Nice!!!!

1st and goal
10-19-2014, 07:59 PM
I liked Troy saying that he felt Roger Staubach was the greatest Cowboy of all time.

Kill, kill, kill, 180, 180, hut.

eagleqb_14
10-19-2014, 08:20 PM
Sundays are so much better when the Cowboys win!

Eagle 1
10-19-2014, 08:52 PM
Nice win even though secondary had a bad day. 6-1 Nice!!!!

I agree, the secondary still may suspect against a good passing team, but the d-line is playing lights out.

caleb_mccaig
10-19-2014, 08:53 PM
Was at the game today and it was incredible. I've been to three Cowboys games there and a few college ones, but I had never heard that place as loud as it was today. It fires me up knowing that we possibly have a home field advantage now. Hopefully they keep going one game at a time. This is a special team.

Farmersfan
10-20-2014, 09:44 AM
I agree, the secondary still may suspect against a good passing team, but the d-line is playing lights out.

The passing defense for the Cowboys is currently ranked #13 in the NFL in yards allowed and the rushing defense is ranked #17 in the NFL. Much of the success for this defense is how well the offense is controlling the clock and keeping the other team's offense off the field. The only area that really concerns me right now is the inability to get sacks or to really pressure the opposing QBs. The cowboys are ranked #21 right now in sacks and they have played some pretty bad and beat up O-lines. The Giants gave up 8 sacks last week and the Cowboys didn't come close to touching Eli yesterday. On a positive note the defense is actually ranked #10 in points allowed.

full circle
10-20-2014, 10:21 AM
Very impressed with this win. Kind of thought the "football gods" were not smiling on the boys and yet we won anyway. Romo lights out!

EagleEye
10-20-2014, 11:26 AM
Hats off to the Cowboys. They are really coming on this year. I am not a fan however over the way Jimmy Johnson was treated. Should be an interesting game when they play my team the Eagles.

Macarthur
10-20-2014, 02:20 PM
The passing defense for the Cowboys is currently ranked #13 in the NFL in yards allowed and the rushing defense is ranked #17 in the NFL. Much of the success for this defense is how well the offense is controlling the clock and keeping the other team's offense off the field. The only area that really concerns me right now is the inability to get sacks or to really pressure the opposing QBs. The cowboys are ranked #21 right now in sacks and they have played some pretty bad and beat up O-lines. The Giants gave up 8 sacks last week and the Cowboys didn't come close to touching Eli yesterday. On a positive note the defense is actually ranked #10 in points allowed.

Yes. Yards per play is a stat that a ton of nfl folks use to gauge defensive success. The Cowboys are allowing basically the same yards per play this year as they were last. The huge diff is that they are having to play about a dozen to 15 less plays per game than they did last year. They also have gotten a couple of 4th quarter TOs which has helped.

Sacks aren't the end all be all, but you have to pressure the qb. That, IMO, is the major thing to be concerned with going forward. Hopefully Lawrence can give them a boost.

Farmersfan
10-20-2014, 02:58 PM
Yes. Yards per play is a stat that a ton of nfl folks use to gauge defensive success. The Cowboys are allowing basically the same yards per play this year as they were last. The huge diff is that they are having to play about a dozen to 15 less plays per game than they did last year. They also have gotten a couple of 4th quarter TOs which has helped.

Sacks aren't the end all be all, but you have to pressure the qb. That, IMO, is the major thing to be concerned with going forward. Hopefully Lawrence can give them a boost.

Yep, at times yesterday our 3 or 4 man rush didn't even sniff pressure on Eli. Most QBs in this league will pick you apart if you can't at least make him worry about getting squashed. Seems the only time we could get close was to bring 5 or more which of course leaves your d-backs on an island. I think one of the biggest differences in this season and last season is the field position for the opponents also. Our offense is now one of the best on converting 3rd downs and extending drives. They aren't punting out of their own end of the field very much and last season it seemed like they did that a lot. In truth though, this defense is doing it with smoke and mirrors and if we were 3-3 right now everyone would be screaming about the piss poor defense again. Winning helps a lot of things.

GrTigers6
10-20-2014, 03:44 PM
Yep, at times yesterday our 3 or 4 man rush didn't even sniff pressure on Eli. Most QBs in this league will pick you apart if you can't at least make him worry about getting squashed. Seems the only time we could get close was to bring 5 or more which of course leaves your d-backs on an island. I think one of the biggest differences in this season and last season is the field position for the opponents also. Our offense is now one of the best on converting 3rd downs and extending drives. They aren't punting out of their own end of the field very much and last season it seemed like they did that a lot. In truth though, this defense is doing it with smoke and mirrors and if we were 3-3 right now everyone would be screaming about the piss poor defense again. Winning helps a lot of things.
I agree and I will wait until we start shutting down offenses when we have a lead instead of letting them right back in the game to be fully confident that this team will do something great in the playoffs.

Macarthur
10-20-2014, 03:49 PM
I agree and I will wait until we start shutting down offenses when we have a lead instead of letting them right back in the game to be fully confident that this team will do something great in the playoffs.

Dude, this defense does not have the personnel to dominate teams. They are playing great team defense, but I think you are setting up an expectation that they can't live up to.

MJMbrahmas10
10-20-2014, 04:12 PM
not gettin sacks is fine with me, by sacrificing the pressure we make up for it by covering better and making great tackles. I'm satisfied with the defense just the way it is.

caleb_mccaig
10-20-2014, 04:39 PM
Dude, this defense does not have the personnel to dominate teams. They are playing great team defense, but I think you are setting up an expectation that they can't live up to.

The secondary I think could be an elite group. Carr is playing way better than last year, Church is always reliable and Wilcox is starting to step up. I won't mention Scandrick since he's lights out every week.

But we get Okoye (An old first round draft pick by Houston I think who had the memory loss brain problem) and Tank Lawrence (this year's 2nd rd draft pick) coming back next week. That should help out the DL a good amount.

Macarthur
10-20-2014, 05:06 PM
not gettin sacks is fine with me, by sacrificing the pressure we make up for it by covering better and making great tackles. I'm satisfied with the defense just the way it is.

Again, they are still giving up 6.1 yards per play which is exactly the same as last year.

I'm not trying to be negative because they are playing better but the offense is not letting them get as exposed. There are still issues there.

Cam
10-20-2014, 06:04 PM

Hopefully....they'll get some sack help soon with the week 9 return of 2nd round pick, DE Demarcus Lawrence....however, he is just a rookie and will be rusty & inexperienced....but, they say he's a stud....we'll see.....

Eagle 1
10-20-2014, 06:05 PM
The only decent passing team our secondary faced was San Fran, and we all know how that turned out.
So being ranked 13th in the NFL in pass defense right now is a meaningless stat.

I'm not sure what games yall have been watching but Dallas defensive line has been getting pressure on the qb's. Maybe not sacks, but pressure none the less, and that's a good thing in my book.

Macarthur
10-20-2014, 06:46 PM
The only decent passing team our secondary faced was San Fran, and we all know how that turned out.
So being ranked 13th in the NFL in pass defense right now is a meaningless stat.

I'm not sure what games yall have been watching but Dallas defensive line has been getting pressure on the qb's. Maybe not sacks, but pressure none the less, and that's a good thing in my book.

St. Louis isn't a bad passing team.

They have been decent at getting pressure. They did not get much pressure on Eli yesterday.

Eagle 1
10-20-2014, 08:14 PM
St. Louis isn't a bad passing team.

They have been decent at getting pressure. They did not get much pressure on Eli yesterday.

St. Louis is ranked 19th in passing yards per game, so not really stellar.

The one drive when the Giants drove field and scored in the fourth qtr. was the only series that I remember Eli having a lot of time in the pocket. The Giants were 5-13 on third down efficiency so we must have been doing something right.

Farmersfan
10-21-2014, 09:51 AM

Not sure what you call "decent" but the Saints are actually ranked #2 in the NFL in passing yards and the Rams are ranked #11. In overall offense the Cowboys have played 2 top 10 offenses and 4 teams in the top half of the NFL.

Farmersfan
10-21-2014, 09:54 AM
St. Louis is ranked 19th in passing yards per game, so not really stellar.

The one drive when the Giants drove field and scored in the fourth qtr. was the only series that I remember Eli having a lot of time in the pocket. The Giants were 5-13 on third down efficiency so we must have been doing something right.

Wrong! The Rams are ranked #11 and average 253 passing yards per game. http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/rushingYardsPerGame

GrTigers6
10-21-2014, 10:21 AM
Im not saying complete domination but when we get a 14 point lead they need to get the ball back and not just set back and let them score slowly. Not scoring helps us much more than taking time off the clock.
It just puzzles me that we can manage an offense all game until we need to stop them and then they march right down the field

Farmersfan
10-21-2014, 10:56 AM
Im not saying complete domination but when we get a 14 point lead they need to get the ball back and not just set back and let them score slowly. Not scoring helps us much more than taking time off the clock.
It just puzzles me that we can manage an offense all game until we need to stop them and then they march right down the field

It's called a combination of prevent defense and increased sense of urgency by the other team! I've been preaching for 5 years that the defense is average at best so our franchise QB and top ranked offense has to continue to put points on the board. If we expect the defense to HOLD the lead when it is achieved why wouldn't we also expect the offense to RETAKE the lead after it is lost? A football team must lean heavily on it's strength and nobody would ever say this defense is our strength.

GrTigers6
10-21-2014, 11:50 AM
It's called a combination of prevent defense and increased sense of urgency by the other team! I've been preaching for 5 years that the defense is average at best so our franchise QB and top ranked offense has to continue to put points on the board. If we expect the defense to HOLD the lead when it is achieved why wouldn't we also expect the offense to RETAKE the lead after it is lost? A football team must lean heavily on it's strength and nobody would ever say this defense is our strength.I agree Im just glad that the offense has stepped up this year and done that very thing. Either they have run the clock out, added to the lead or retook the lead.

Eagle 1
10-21-2014, 09:37 PM
Wrong! The Rams are ranked #11 and average 253 passing yards per game. http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/rushingYardsPerGame

Do what? Can you read?
It says the Rams are ranked 19th in total yards passing. http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/passing

Farmersfan
10-22-2014, 03:02 PM
Do what? Can you read?
It says the Rams are ranked 19th in total yards passing. http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/passing

The Rams have only played 6 games! They have already had their bye week. I repeat: The Rams are ranked #11 in passing yards per game with 253 yards.

Farmersfan
10-22-2014, 03:06 PM
Do what? Can you read?

Besides that your exact comment was "St. Louis is ranked 19th in passing yards per game, so not really stellar."

Eagle 1
10-22-2014, 04:44 PM
When I click on the link this what I read, so I'm not sure what you computer is showing.

NFL Team Passing Offense Statistics - 2014

1. Indianapolis
2. Washington
3. Atlanta
4. San Diego
5. New Orleans
6. Pittsburg
7. Denver
8. Baltimore
9. Chicago
10. Carolina
11. Detroit
12. Dallas
13. New England
14. San Francisco
15. Buffalo
16. Green Bay
17. Philadelphia
18. Giants
19. St. Louis

I don't know where you are getting ranked 11th.

Txbroadcaster
10-23-2014, 10:31 AM
On a per-play basis, that Cowboys defense that looks so much improved has actually been almost as bad as it was a year ago. Dallas is allowing the same average of 6.1 yards per play, with roughly the same frequency of turnovers. The biggest difference for the defense is actually the offense, which is keeping the defense off the field with those extended, run-heavy drives. Only two defenses have been on the field for a shorter time per game. Less time on the field means less yardage and scoring allowed.

The Cowboys' defense is also better this season because of the distribution of the yardage it has given up. The Cowboys have been better than last season on both first and second down, which means they can give up a little bit more yardage on third down and not be hurt by it. The Cowboys have given up 6.90 yards per play on third or fourth downs in 2014, compared to 6.36 yards per play in 2013. However, they've allowed the same 44 percent conversion rate that they did a year ago.

Farmersfan
10-23-2014, 03:08 PM
When I click on the link this what I read, so I'm not sure what you computer is showing.

NFL Team Passing Offense Statistics - 2014

1. Indianapolis
2. Washington
3. Atlanta
4. San Diego
5. New Orleans
6. Pittsburg
7. Denver
8. Baltimore
9. Chicago
10. Carolina
11. Detroit
12. Dallas
13. New England
14. San Francisco
15. Buffalo
16. Green Bay
17. Philadelphia
18. Giants
19. St. Louis

I don't know where you are getting ranked 11th.

I'm sorry! I wasn't aware that you weren't capable of understanding that the Rams have played 6 games while those other teams have played 7 games. Or that you didn't understand how to click on the top of each category to rank according to that category. I set it up to show the rankings based on passing YARDS PER GAME rather than Total passing yards........... http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/passing/sort/netPassingYardsPerGame

Emerson1
10-23-2014, 03:17 PM
I miss reading these Cowboys threads.

GrTigers6
10-23-2014, 03:33 PM

They sure are a lot longer when they are not playing well. :D

Txbroadcaster
10-23-2014, 04:39 PM

hey we are moving soon..want to help?

Eagle 1
10-23-2014, 10:51 PM
http://oi62.tinypic.com/hx0ohz.jpg

Emerson1
10-24-2014, 10:16 AM
Eagle1 would be the type that still uses Internet Explorer.

Eagle 1
10-24-2014, 10:33 AM
Yep, still dependable.

Emerson1
10-24-2014, 10:40 AM
Obviously not since it's not allowing you to click on the "YDS/G" sort button.