PDA

View Full Version : Columbia wins shootout over Jays

Scoop27
10-18-2014, 09:36 AM
From Brazosport Facts
NEEDVILLE — The Columbia Roughnecks and Needville Bluejays put on an offensive explosion Friday night, with the ’Necks pulling out a 49-38 win in the District 12-4A Division I contest.

With almost 1,000 yards in offense, it was Columbia rallying from behind after being down 24-7 at one point.

“Our kids battled hard tonight, and I am really proud of the way they fought back after being down,” Columbia coach Randy Lynch said.

Senior Maleek Goins, who just joined Columbia a few games back, ran the ball for 142 yards and a score. He also caught three passes for 136 yards and two more scores.

“He was all over the field tonight,” Lynch said.

Junior Dakarius Bell ran for 101 yards and two touchdowns, and quarterback Jarius Kesee was 9-for-10 for 204 yards and three touchdowns. Bell also threw for a touchdown of 63 yards to Richard Hooper early in the fourth quarter.

Needville led 17-7 after one period then added another quick score in the second when Dedrick Ketchum took it in from 15 yards out with 10:34 showing on the clock.

“They played well and they moved the ball on us and we made a few adjustments,” Lynch said of the Bluejays. “They executed well and we just had a hard time stopping them.”

Then the Roughnecks started their comeback.

Columbia scored three straight touchdowns, two by Goins on an 81-yard reception and a 70-yard run. Bell followed with a 10-yard touchdown reception from Kesee to take a 28-24 lead.

Columbia (2-0, 7-0) will get Stafford at Griggs Field on Friday to continue district play.

regaleagle
10-18-2014, 09:39 AM
I was wondering about this game.....so now we know. What is Needville's record now and how to you rate them the rest of the season?

Necked
10-18-2014, 11:01 AM
I was wondering about this game.....so now we know. What is Needville's record now and how to you rate them the rest of the season?

They have 2 wins regal. I was impressed by Needville's effort. If they can keep that level of intensity then they are capable of beating Brazosport & Bay City. Their problem was they were overwhelmed by Columbia's depth on Offense. Once Columbia started utilizing all their offensive weapons Needville couldn't stop them.