PDA

View Full Version : Region 2 Week 8 GOTW: Gladewater (5-1, 1-0) @ Atlanta (6-0, 1-0)

SHSBulldog00
10-14-2014, 12:05 PM
Big game in D2 District 6

Sweetwater Red
10-14-2014, 01:35 PM
If you go by prep's state rankings then this is a game between the #2 and #4 teams in 4A D2.

regaleagle
10-14-2014, 03:14 PM
Just looking at the stats and schedules of each team, I went with Atlanta in this one. I feel they can put up the points in the 4th to win it if necessary. Atlanta has scored more points and given up less against their schedule than has Gladewater so far this season. Both teams have played 6 games so far and their schedules are very close in quality of competition. And the game is a home game for Atlanta. I don't think Atlanta has the size that Gladewater does, but I'm guessing they have more speed overall, and esp. at the skill positions to make up the difference. It will be one of those interesting matchups between two very good and different football teams to see who comes out on top. Obviously, I'm saying it will be Atlanta. But I haven't seen either team play this year, so what do I really know! Good luck to both teams this week.

d0tc0m
10-14-2014, 03:37 PM
This game could be a snoozefest. Just not much speed or athleticism on either of these teams.

icu812
10-14-2014, 04:47 PM
Gladewater has really turned the corner as a program. It wasn't that long ago they were really struggling. Not to many years ago I watched J. Calhoun rush for 364 yards on those guys. Those days appear to be over.

Atlanta is always blessed with speed. This should be a great game.

Aesculus gilmus
10-15-2014, 07:34 AM
I don't think Atlanta has the size that Gladewater does, but I'm guessing they have more speed overall, and esp. at the skill positions to make up the difference.

I watched the first half of the Atlanta @ Pleasant Grove game (48-7 win for the Rabbs) played last Friday night on YouTube yesterday. Atlanta has some huge players on the line. Of course, they were wearing white, which always makes you look bigger than you are. They won't be outsized by Gladewater, though, except maybe for Daylon Mack.

You're right about their speed, too. They smothered the PG Wing T and were hardly ever fooled by the trickery. Were in the backfield often. It almost seemed like they knew the snap count in advance.

I am afraid Atlanta is the real deal and I expect the Bux and Rabbs will face off at some point in the playoffs. I am more worried about Atlanta than I am Gladewater. If Atlanta wins that district, I suppose it'd be the fourth round where Gilmer and Atlanta collide. And Atlanta has a lot of frustration built up w/r to Gilmer because of all the losses they've suffered to Gilmer since knocking us out in the quarterfinals in 2003.

waterboy
10-15-2014, 08:02 AM
C'mon, Aesculus gilmus. We all know that Gladewater is the best team in the state. Just ask them. No way Atlanta has a chance to beat them.

lostaussie
10-15-2014, 09:06 AM
I've seen Gladewater and they are good. Have not seen Atlanta but think their schedule might be a little suspect. I don't think Gladewater looses again until 4th round.

Aggie98
10-15-2014, 09:49 AM
I have seen them both. Atlanta is a very good team on both sides of the ball, but I think they're going to get overpowered by Gladewater.

waterboy
10-15-2014, 10:05 AM
It will be interesting to see if Gladewater's defense is good against a balanced team. If Atlanta's O-line can keep the Bears D-line out of the backfield, I think Atlanta will be able to drive and score enough to win IF they can get stops defensively. The question mark I have is whether Atlanta's defense will be able to slow Gladewater down enough to win. You have to take something away from Gladewater in order to beat them. Most of the Gladewater folks think there's no other team 4A-D2 that can beat them. At least, that's what they are assuming on that other site. Some of them even said that NOBODY in 4A-D2 is on the level with St. Thomas More, the only team that beat them so far.

lostaussie
10-15-2014, 10:45 AM
That are not going to keep Tank out of the offensive backfield....... Period!!!

Dawgs
10-15-2014, 12:23 PM
It will be interesting to see if Gladewater's defense is good against a balanced team. If Atlanta's O-line can keep the Bears D-line out of the backfield, I think Atlanta will be able to drive and score enough to win IF they can get stops defensively. The question mark I have is whether Atlanta's defense will be able to slow Gladewater down enough to win. You have to take something away from Gladewater in order to beat them. Most of the Gladewater folks think there's no other team 4A-D2 that can beat them. At least, that's what they are assuming on that other site. Some of them even said that NOBODY in 4A-D2 is on the level with St. Thomas More, the only team that beat them so far.

Waterboy, the Gilmer guys on this site are all pretty level headed. I think like every homer maybe even you guys think Gilmer is a little better than they are every year. But if we are talking about the other site, the GW fans this year are like the Gilmer fans on down years. On that site there has never been a team in history that should be able to beat the Buckeyes. To even mention in would be disrespectful. I agree GW hasn't gotten pretty full of themselves, but a Gilmer fan calling them out? C'mon man. Yall have yours just like they have theres. And yes we got them too. Heck I am one of them.

lostaussie
10-15-2014, 12:53 PM
Waterboy, the Gilmer guys on this site are all pretty level headed. I think like every homer maybe even you guys think Gilmer is a little better than they are every year. But if we are talking about the other site, the GW fans this year are like the Gilmer fans on down years. On that site there has never been a team in history that should be able to beat the Buckeyes. To even mention in would be disrespectful. I agree GW hasn't gotten pretty full of themselves, but a Gilmer fan calling them out? C'mon man. Yall have yours just like they have theres. And yes we got them too. Heck I am one of them.Everybody does. I try to keep a level head.......but really, this is one of those years you look forward to. Its gonna take a great team to beat us.......Gladewater ain't them.

Aesculus gilmus
10-15-2014, 01:13 PM
Gilmer could be beat, but it's going to take a down night and also a lot of turnovers. That's one reason the Tatum game was so close.

I also think there may come a time when the decision will have to be made to go more with Lynch as QB in order to win a game. You're probably going to need the dual threat back there against a stout defense.

waterboy
10-15-2014, 01:30 PM
Waterboy, the Gilmer guys on this site are all pretty level headed. I think like every homer maybe even you guys think Gilmer is a little better than they are every year. But if we are talking about the other site, the GW fans this year are like the Gilmer fans on down years. On that site there has never been a team in history that should be able to beat the Buckeyes. To even mention in would be disrespectful. I agree GW hasn't gotten pretty full of themselves, but a Gilmer fan calling them out? C'mon man. Yall have yours just like they have theres. And yes we got them too. Heck I am one of them.

I visit that other site all the time, and I've always been a straight shooter with a level head. You are right about every town has a couple of those that go overboard. We've had plenty of reality checks over the years to keep most of us humble. We KNOW how hard it is to win, especially once you get to the third round and beyond. Gladewater is new to that scene, and apparently a lot of them, if not most of them don't understand how good you have to be. I've always said wait until you start playing teams outside your region to see how your team measures up, IF you can get out of your region to begin with. You never really know what level another region plays on until you see them live. I always "try" to play down that we are better stuff, because you never really know. By the way, what does a "down year" feel like?:D

Just kidding! I don't really wanna know...;)...and I hope it's a loooong time before I find out!

Dawgs
10-15-2014, 02:12 PM
I visit that other site all the time, and I've always been a straight shooter with a level head. You are right about every town has a couple of those that go overboard. We've had plenty of reality checks over the years to keep most of us humble. We KNOW how hard it is to win, especially once you get to the third round and beyond. Gladewater is new to that scene, and apparently a lot of them, if not most of them don't understand how good you have to be. I've always said wait until you start playing teams outside your region to see how your team measures up, IF you can get out of your region to begin with. You never really know what level another region plays on until you see them live. I always "try" to play down that we are better stuff, because you never really know. By the way, what does a "down year" feel like?:D

Just kidding! I don't really wanna know...;)...and I hope it's a loooong time before I find out!

I don't really know yet, cause we are all still shell shocked! Ask me the 2nd week of the playoffs when we are playing the dreaded B-Ball. I really don't think it has set in yet for alot of us. Most of the people that follow the program understand how down we are, but we have not grasped the concept that there will not be any Carthage games at Thanksgiving and Christmas. We been playing a freakin NFL schedule for 6 years. It is definitely going to sting when the time comes.

waterboy
10-15-2014, 02:26 PM
I don't really know yet, cause we are all still shell shocked! Ask me the 2nd week of the playoffs when we are playing the dreaded B-Ball. I really don't think it has set in yet for alot of us. Most of the people that follow the program understand how down we are, but we have not grasped the concept that there will not be any Carthage games at Thanksgiving and Christmas. We been playing a freakin NFL schedule for 6 years. It is definitely going to sting when the time comes.

It's more than just Carthage fans that are shocked. I can tell you that. Who knows? Maybe they'll surprise some people. I'm pretty sure they can make the playoffs. Once they get there, who knows? It's hard to turn it around that much this late in the season, however, but if anybody can do it it would be Surratt and company.

Dawgs
10-15-2014, 02:26 PM

On another note I don't think yall's scheme will allow yall to get as down as we are this year. I really don't. I think the our scheme is the best when a team is suited for it, but if you don't have the personnel its not pretty to watch. I am not saying Gilmer is all smoke and mirrors, but I am saying that has a little bit to do with it. I would take our best offense against any of the best offenses around the state at the 4a level. When you can impose your will with a superior offensive line, and technically sound athletic skill positions players the pro-style, multi-set offense can't be stopped at this level. Line up and run right at you, and throw the ball vertical. Its deadly. In Gilmer's offense it is awesome when they have a group like this year, but it is also not that bad when the talent level is lower. You can get people out of position with mis-direction and go really fast no huddle, and still put up points on pretty much any 4a defense. Especially when you have taught the same offense from 7th grade. Both are good, just much different.

lostaussie
10-15-2014, 02:30 PM
^^^^^^^^^This man speak truth!!

waterboy
10-15-2014, 02:35 PM
I agree. They are totally different in their offensive approach. Gilmer is blessed with enough good athletes every year to run the type of offense they run. Some years are definitely better than others. Sometimes I do wish we ran some plays out of mulitple sets. That would throw even more at a defense, especially those teams that know how to slow the spread down. The teams that can impose their will on the opponent is usually the team that wins. The defensive side of the ball is where the difference is that can make or break a team that runs the offense we run. We need more beef on the defensive side of the ball because those smash-mouth teams we run into occasionally can give us fits. We don't have that much size at all on either side of the ball most years, but we can usually score enough points to offset the difference.

Dawgs
10-15-2014, 04:27 PM
I agree. They are totally different in their offensive approach. Gilmer is blessed with enough good athletes every year to run the type of offense they run. Some years are definitely better than others. Sometimes I do wish we ran some plays out of mulitple sets. That would throw even more at a defense, especially those teams that know how to slow the spread down. The teams that can impose their will on the opponent is usually the team that wins. The defensive side of the ball is where the difference is that can make or break a team that runs the offense we run. We need more beef on the defensive side of the ball because those smash-mouth teams we run into occasionally can give us fits. We don't have that much size at all on either side of the ball most years, but we can usually score enough points to offset the difference.

Exactly. It would be unfair if Gilmer had too much size to go along with all the speed. I guess you saw what would happen earlier in the 2000's. I remember yall had D1 caliber lineman on those teams.

lostaussie
10-15-2014, 04:39 PM
Enough about us. Let's pick some scores. After going out on a limb last week and picking Tatum........I'm not gonna fall off that turnip truck again. Gladewater 35 Atlanta 27

waterboy
10-15-2014, 04:53 PM
There ain't nobody that visits here from Atlanta or Gladewater. I don't think they've won long enough to know about this site. With Gladewater that's probably a good thing.:D

This game could go a number of directions, but I'll say Gladewater most likely wins by a TD or two. It's hard to gauge a score on this one. I'd like to see Atlanta bring the Bears back to reality, but I don't think it'll happen this week.

poisoned10
10-15-2014, 05:12 PM
I'm still not 100% sold on Atlanta.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

regaleagle
10-15-2014, 11:15 PM
Atlanta wins it late in the 4th by less than 7 pts. I'm gonna go with the stats on this one and say Atlanta is dependable this year with the stats. They'll find a way to win it.

movethechain
10-16-2014, 01:17 AM
I can see Atlanta winning by stopping Gladewater on maybe 2 drives (or GW stopping themselves) and having success throwing the football against the Bear's defense. I've watched Gladewater 3 times this year and I don't see their pass defense being that good, but when you have their defensive line terrorizing the opposing QB on most every play, it helps their secondary look better than they are. I'll go Atlanta by 7.

buckeyebob
10-16-2014, 07:43 AM

Don't lump me with the rest...I work very hard on my slope head.

buckeyebob
10-16-2014, 07:52 AM
I would to say Atlanta but I think Gladewater will outpound 'em...if the Rabbits can take to the air successfully, then all bets are off.

Dawgs
10-16-2014, 08:22 AM
Don't know much about Atlanta, but I will take GW based off strength of schedule and style of play.

lostaussie
10-16-2014, 09:19 AM
Don't know much about Atlanta, but I will take GW based off strength of schedule and style of play.

Gladewater is slow and slew-footed like a Bear,..........Atlanta is nimble and fast like a rabbit. Bears eat Rabbits..... Just saying

waterboy
10-16-2014, 09:55 AM
Gladewater is slow and slew-footed like a Bear,..........Atlanta is nimble and fast like a rabbit. Bears eat Rabbits..... Just saying

You do know bears can run faster than rabbits, right? Rabbits are definitely quicker and more nimble, but as far as speed bears are faster.:D

It's the defensive side of the ball I'm not real sure about. Whichever team has the best defense wins. If Atlanta can get a few stops I think they win. If Gladewater is able to impose their will on the Rabbit defense, the Bears will likely run away with it. Gladewater has shown to be vulnerable against the pass at times, so it just depends on whether the Rabbit O-line can keep the Bear D-line out of the backfield long enough.

coach
10-16-2014, 11:47 AM
Who beat gladewater?

lostaussie
10-16-2014, 11:56 AM
A six man team from Louisiana:D

waterboy
10-16-2014, 12:09 PM
Who beat gladewater?

A team that Gladewater people say is on a totally different level than anybody that 4A-D2 has to offer. I think they are delusional. That team is St. Thomas More, a private school out of Louisiana. They beat Gladewater 42-21.

Aesculus gilmus
10-17-2014, 11:09 PM
Gladewater beat Atlanta easily - 36-14. Eddrick King was out for the Rabbs, but I don't think he was worth three touchdowns.

Looks like Gilmer playoff schedule is going to be Pleasant Grove (which beat Spring Hill tonight) in bi-district, one of those teams from the Waco area or at least somewhere south of here, more generally, from District 7 or 8 in Area and then Atlanta in the third round.

Gladewater thinks it'll cruise to the fourth round now to face Gilmer. Still a lot of football left to be played, though.

Aggie98
10-18-2014, 04:59 PM
I'm gonna say that the best team in the state in 4A-D2 wears black and orange, starts with a G, and inhabits at least some portion of Upshur County.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waterboy
10-20-2014, 07:21 AM
I'm gonna say that the best team in the state in 4A-D2 wears black and orange, starts with a G, and inhabits at least some portion of Upshur County.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know the best team in the Region will likely fit that criteria, and ALL the school district will be in Upshur County. To say they will be the best team in the state is still premature.