PDA

View Full Version : Region 1 Week 8 GOTW: Brownwood (4-3, 0-1) @ Abilene Wylie (4-2, 0-0)

SHSBulldog00
10-14-2014, 11:54 AM
How is there not a thread for this game yet?

hollywood
10-14-2014, 11:59 AM

Slackers!

slingshot
10-14-2014, 12:13 PM
I see Wylie pulling away by 10-14 pts late in a slobberknocker of a game... should be a good one.

Sville
10-14-2014, 01:50 PM
Brownwood has a good football team they just dont know it yet. If they can put a consistent game together they can beat anyone in this district. I was really impressed with their line play last Friday. They had good size and played very physical. The Lions had 2 huge mistakes in the 2nd half. The unforced fumble on their opening drive of the 2nd half and a miss fired pass to a wide open receiver on a crucial 4th down play. Stephenville took advantage of those two mistakes and blew the game open.

hollywood
10-14-2014, 01:59 PM
I've said it all season, Brownwood has a solid team of players. If they can work out the kinks, minimize the mistakes and execute on a more consistant basis, they will be a force not only in district play, but in the playoffs as well. Maybe, just maybe, last weeks game gave them a little more confidence that they can play with the big boys. Wylie best watch out, this Brownwood team plays determined.

Heffelfinger
10-14-2014, 02:13 PM
Sounds like you described the Wylie team. Pretty much the same.

hollywood
10-14-2014, 02:16 PM
Sounds like you described the Wylie team. Pretty much the same.

This should be a knock-down, drag-out, smash-mouth football game then.

If the Lions can overcome the ref's in Wylie, they have a shot. ;)

regaleagle
10-14-2014, 02:50 PM
I haven't seen Brownwood play yet this season, and have only read about their team weekly. I have seen Wylie play, and have followed their weekly games as well. I don't know about any key injuries for either team, but just from what I'm able to gather it appears Wylie is still sputtering offensively. In my mind, I thought by now Wylie would be dominating on the scoreboard each week, but that hasn't occurred as expected. Maybe this is the week it all comes together for the Bulldogs on offense. Regardless, I don't think the Lions will be able to outscore the Bulldogs this week against that Wylie D. Just wait til you see that size you'll be up against, haha. Wylie also has no issues with depth in case of injury. And they have two starting qb's that rotate every game. This Wylie team is one you really don't want to face if you had your druthers, lol. I'm not knocking the Lions this season....I realize your team is improved and has some very capable athletes as well. This will be a physical battle....can Brownwood meet the challenge? I say NO, NOPE, NOT THIS WEEK, NOT THIS SEASON, NOT AGAINST THIS TEAM. Good luck this week to the Brownwood Lions....you will need it. Wylie by 21.

Sweetwater Red
10-14-2014, 04:21 PM

Because two teams playing for third place isn't a big deal? Although, Brownwood looks like
they're on the rise. Who knows? Maybe the Lions will finish second behind Stephenville and
ahead of Big Spring.

Hollyville
10-14-2014, 04:25 PM
If #8 is healthy; I pick Brownwood to win. Also, two QB system never works - pick one.

hollywood
10-14-2014, 04:30 PM
Because two teams playing for third place isn't a big deal? Although, Brownwood looks like
they're on the rise. Who knows? Maybe the Lions will finish second behind Stephenville and
ahead of Big Spring.

You never know, crazier things have happened.

ccmom
10-14-2014, 04:57 PM
I haven't seen Brownwood play yet this season, and have only read about their team weekly. I have seen Wylie play, and have followed their weekly games as well. I don't know about any key injuries for either team, but just from what I'm able to gather it appears Wylie is still sputtering offensively. In my mind, I thought by now Wylie would be dominating on the scoreboard each week, but that hasn't occurred as expected. Maybe this is the week it all comes together for the Bulldogs on offense. Regardless, I don't think the Lions will be able to outscore the Bulldogs this week against that Wylie D. Just wait til you see that size you'll be up against, haha. Wylie also has no issues with depth in case of injury. And they have two starting qb's that rotate every game. This Wylie team is one you really don't want to face if you had your druthers, lol. I'm not knocking the Lions this season....I realize your team is improved and has some very capable athletes as well. This will be a physical battle....can Brownwood meet the challenge? I say NO, NOPE, NOT THIS WEEK, NOT THIS SEASON, NOT AGAINST THIS TEAM. Good luck this week to the Brownwood Lions....you will need it. Wylie by 21.
Eek...21? Hope you are right!!

As far as injuries, I know Brownwood's stud #8 missed the second half last week. I haven't heard if he's better. Anyone wanna update us?

Wylie lost a key part of our offense when Kleffner fractured his clavicle a couple of weeks ago. He's recovering from surgery and hoping to be back for playoffs. That kid is something else!! That's not an excuse for lack of offensice production...just commenting about injuries since you mentioned it.

Our D has been stout all season. I expect to see more of the same and hoping for a breakout game for our offense. I'm really looking forward to this one!!

slingshot
10-14-2014, 05:27 PM
Sputtering is a good description. I do suspect a lot of teams would struggle though if their leading rusher/leading receiver/best offensive player were to go down... S'ville without Stidham? Argyle without Ralston? Would still be very good teams but would 'sputter'. Wylie will be fine though--our depth, defense, size and the sheer determination of Clay Johnston (now going both ways--tailback and middle LB) will get us to wins over BWD and Snyder. I do feel we can beat Big Spring at home... S'ville at cricket stadium may be a tall order. 2nd place in district and a nice 3-4 round playoff run are very achievable.

without

Smitty
10-14-2014, 05:36 PM
I heard that #8 Howard broke a bone in his foot!

panfan
10-14-2014, 06:19 PM
We have played both, B-wood is good, but no match for AW. Maybe the Wood's offense has come around some since we played them. AW has sputtered on offense, but their defense has kept them in the game and kept opponents from scoring much. Wylie by 2 TDs or more.

GobblersUnite
10-14-2014, 07:37 PM
ahead of Big Spring.

How is the Lion D? The last time i saw them play was when Kenny V was at safety and Charles Copeland was the DC....he was a very under appreciated defensive mind. If you can call winning the Landry Award under appreciated.

refereedoc
10-14-2014, 08:40 PM
How is the Lion D? The last time i saw them play was when Kenny V was at safety and Charles Copeland was the DC....he was a very under appreciated defensive mind. If you can call winning the Landry Award under appreciated.

They play hard, but Stephenville had 513 yards of offense and no punts if that tells you anything about their defense.

GobblersUnite
10-14-2014, 08:42 PM
They play hard, but Stephenville had 513 yards of offense and no punts if that tells you anything about their defense.

Thanks refdoc....any word on where Copeland is at?

hollywood
10-14-2014, 08:43 PM

Lions have the best D they have had in a while. Good size across the field and they play hard and tackle well. The 3 losses came against 3 strong teams that have have explosive offenses... Graham, Liberty Hill and Stephenville. Another tough test this week against a solid Wylie team. Their road hasn't been a cake walk.

GobblersUnite
10-14-2014, 08:49 PM
A buddy of mine is from that area and he heard that Stidham is a Gustine boy from the family of an old Ville QB Kelan Luker. Nice bloodline if that's true!

refereedoc
10-14-2014, 08:51 PM
A buddy of mine is from that area and he heard that Stidham is a Gustine boy from the family of an old Ville QB Kelan Luker. Nice bloodline if that's true!

That is incorrect. The running back kaegun Williams is Lukers nephew.

GobblersUnite
10-14-2014, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the info.....wish i could have been there for the Jackets and Lions game but my son plays for the Gobbs and played a determined Yoakum team last week. Lots of luck for the rest of the season. That's a pretty salty district!

hollywood
10-14-2014, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the info.....wish i could have been there for the Jackets and Lions game but my son plays for the Gobbs and played a determined Yoakum team last week. Lots of luck for the rest of the season. That's a pretty salty district!

Stidham is originally from blue grass country... Kentucky. Family moved here when he was in elementary. Big basketball family. He's the black sheep. Forwent bball for a real sport! ;)

GobblersUnite
10-14-2014, 08:59 PM
Just knew he had some red dirt in him! He's an amazing talent.

slingshot
10-14-2014, 09:50 PM
They play hard, but Stephenville had 513 yards of offense and no punts if that tells you anything about their defense.Suspect S'ville could put up those #'s on about anybody in 4A on any given night... I do suspect our defense may be the best challenge for them in the district but if our offense doesn't start to click it may not matter.

full circle
10-15-2014, 09:42 AM
Wylie will definitely be a huge challenge especially at their place. Have to give credit to Stidham, was not impressed after playoff game last year, but kid is legite. We had huge momentum going into halftime 21-14 game, soph. steps out at our own 8 fielding 2nd half kickoff, we are ripping them and fixing to tie this game up, fumble, 28-14, we r ripping em pretty good next drive, miss wide open receiver on 4th and 5. shoulda, woulda, coulda, I know. Stephenville offense is state ch. caliber, defense not.

Sville
10-15-2014, 09:54 AM
FWIW Brownwood defense held our running game to 115 yards and 3.8 ypc, season lows in both categories. They did give up 370 yds through the air but like many have said Stidham and Co. can do that to any 4A team on a given night.

nobogey72
10-15-2014, 10:16 AM
I was talking to some officials at the "25th ANNUAL FOOTBALL OFFICIAL'S APPRECIATION BANQUET AND AWARD CEREMONY" that Wylie hosts every year, and they assured me that Wylie will win....... again.

hollywood
10-15-2014, 10:46 AM
Wylie will definitely be a huge challenge especially at their place. Have to give credit to Stidham, was not impressed after playoff game last year, but kid is legite. We had huge momentum going into halftime 21-14 game, soph. steps out at our own 8 fielding 2nd half kickoff, we are ripping them and fixing to tie this game up, fumble, 28-14, we r ripping em pretty good next drive, miss wide open receiver on 4th and 5. shoulda, woulda, coulda, I know. Stephenville offense is state ch. caliber, defense not.

"Ripping them" is an exaggeration. Moving the ball? Yes. Brownwood gained 303 yards total. That's below what Stephenville's D allows on average. Which is on par to what the 2012 defense allowed on average. Just sayin'! ;) Stranger

panfan
10-15-2014, 10:48 AM
I was talking to some officials at the "25th ANNUAL FOOTBALL OFFICIAL'S APPRECIATION BANQUET AND AWARD CEREMONY" that Wylie hosts every year, and they assured me that Wylie will win....... again.

You ain't lying there.

full circle
10-15-2014, 11:32 AM
Maybe for you, not me. Ripping as in rushing for 5,6,7 yds a rush.

hollywood
10-15-2014, 11:48 AM
FWIW, Brownwood gained 350+ yards on the daunting Graham defense.... who by some, regard to have the best in the state. :eek:

Deuce
10-15-2014, 12:46 PM
FWIW, Brownwood gained 350+ yards on the daunting Graham defense.... who by some, regard to have the best in the state. :eek:

Lol! You have been on the Fox app to much!

slingshot
10-15-2014, 01:00 PM
FWIW, Brownwood gained 350+ yards on the daunting Graham defense.... who by some, regard to have the best in the state. :eek:They sure seemed to the night we played them... after speaking to several friends from Graham though that was probably their best performance of the year.

hollywood
10-15-2014, 01:34 PM
Lol! You have been on the Fox app to much!

:speech:

hollywood
10-15-2014, 01:49 PM
Maybe for you, not me. Ripping as in rushing for 5,6,7 yds a rush.

Ok, then what would you call what Stephenville's O did to Brownwood's D? Annihilation?

hollywood
10-15-2014, 02:15 PM
They sure seemed to the night we played them... after speaking to several friends from Graham though that was probably their best performance of the year.

Well, from the Wylie fan's perspective, Wylie's O is sputtering too. In all seriousness, Brownwood has a pretty dang solid team. The inopportune mistakes has kept them out of the game in their 3 losses. If you were watching the game against Graham from an unbiased view, and didn't see the score, you would have thought the 2 teams were equal in calibar. Obviously the 5 turnovers Brownwood had resulted in a lopsided loss. The Lions only had 1 turnover 3 penalties for 27 yards against Stephenville... a season low. Against Graham, is was a very sloppy game for Brownwood.

Stats for Brownwood/Graham game 2014 below...

Statistics:

BHS------GHS

Total Yds 352------ 375
Rushing Yds 206------ 199
Passing Yds 146------ 176
1st Downs 18------ 20
Turnovers 5 (3 fumbles, 2 picks)------ 1 fumble
Penalties 6/80 yds------ 6/50 yds
Punts 4/34.2 yd avg.------ 7/36 yd avg.

BHS’s Bertrand threw 11/26 for 146 yds with 2 picks.
GHS’s Turner threw 10/18 for 159 yds

Statistic

Stephenville Brownwood

First downs 23 17

Rushing 33-135 31-143

Passing yards

Total yards

Comp-att-int

20-25-0

16-20-0

Punts-avg

0-0

4-45

Penalties-yards

4-21

3-27

Fumbles-lost

1-0

1-1

INDIVIDUAL LEADERS

Rushing: Stephenville: Stidham 14-84, Williams 15-36 w/ 2 TD, Chapman 1-6 w/ 1 TD, Martin 2-5, Cam Reynolds 1-4. Brownwood: Harley Price 17-108, Diaz 6-36 w/ 2 TD, Bertrand 6-5, Grant Lewis 1-4, Connor Howard 1-(-10).

Passing: Stephenville: Stidham 20-25-0, 378 yds 3 TD. Brownwood: Bertrand 16-20-0, 160 yds 1 TD.

Receiving: Stephenville: Williams 5-125, Nowell 6-112 w/ 2 TD, Darian Brown 4-77, Martin 4-43 w/ 1 TD, Austin Stufflebean 1-21. Brownwood: Gregory 2-49 w/ 1 TD, Connor Howard 4-47, Hayden 3-30, Cory Richardson 2-18, Diaz 1-7, Price 3-5, Cody Richardson 1-4.

full circle
10-15-2014, 09:37 PM
ya the passing game was pretty much that, however we had the momentum and they werent lined up very good to a couple of our formations, and ripping could be a little biased, lets just say we were having success, fumble hurt, would have loved to tied it up and see where that would have gone

JacketSwarm
10-15-2014, 10:04 PM
Jackets beat the crap out of the lions. loved every minute of it. just cant imagine brownwood being able to hang in district now. they better pray snyder lays an egg when they play or else basketball season will come early this year. hahahaha abilene wyley will put a good ole stomping on them to.

Fire Away

slingshot
10-15-2014, 10:08 PM
Jackets beat the crap out of the lions. loved every minute of it. just cant imagine brownwood being able to hang in district now. they better pray snyder lays an egg when they play or else basketball season will come early this year. hahahaha abilene wyley will put a good ole stomping on them to.

Fire AwayWhat are you, like 10? Can't spell, can't make full sentences, no punctuation, no logical thought pattern to your posts--just insults and trying to harass. Clown... Just go away--even the other Stephenville posters are embarrased by you.

JacketSwarm
10-15-2014, 10:38 PM
ha ha slingshot. go find some pebbles and start taking target practice at a bulldogs backside. maybe you can hit that because you have been off all season. better yet give it to yalls qb. maybe he can hit his receivers for once.

Fire Away

bwdlionfan
10-16-2014, 06:45 AM
What are you, like 10? Can't spell, can't make full sentences, no punctuation, no logical thought pattern to your posts--just insults and trying to harass. Clown... Just go away--even the other Stephenville posters are embarrased by you.

I believe this guy was the valedictorian out there a couple of years ago.

stardog
10-16-2014, 07:26 AM
a jacket swarm is wasp stired up and mad. This jacket likes to hide and type what it wouldn't say to your face.

canno
10-16-2014, 07:27 AM
That's funny.by

defense51
10-16-2014, 08:24 AM
I believe this guy was the valedictorian out there a couple of years ago.
:spitlol:

panfan
10-16-2014, 09:20 AM
What are you, like 10? Even the other Stephenville posters are embarrassed by you.

:iagree:

hollywood
10-16-2014, 09:25 AM
Oh boy, someone let JacketSwarm out of confinement! :dispntd:

slingshot
10-16-2014, 09:43 AM
Oh boy, someone let JacketSwarm out of confinement! :dispntd:Ya'll need to lock him back up... :rolleyes:

hollywood
10-16-2014, 09:57 AM
Ya'll need to lock him back up... :rolleyes:

ccmom, is that you? Did you get a hold of slingshots account??

BwdLions
10-16-2014, 10:21 AM

Fire Away

I'll fire away - Shut up.

Heffelfinger
10-16-2014, 10:52 AM
Finally some good ol' smack talk! Keep firing away!

Sweetwater Red
10-16-2014, 11:04 AM
Finally some good ol' smack talk! Keep firing away!

It's always funny when it's somebody else's team that's being shot at isn't it?

Kinda like Pancho continously talking about how trashy the women of Ingleside are lol.

hollywood
10-16-2014, 11:21 AM
It's always funny when it's somebody else's team that's being shot at isn't it?

Kinda like Pancho continously talking about how trashy the women of Ingleside are lol.

LOL, you gotta a point SR. Some take it way way too personal and serious.

ccmom
10-16-2014, 11:38 AM
ccmom, is that you? Did you get a hold of slingshots account??

Is that an insult? Watch it...you might hurt my feelings!!

hollywood
10-16-2014, 11:43 AM
Is that an insult? Watch it...you might hurt my feelings!!

:bigcry::bigcry: Then move down to the RGV! Rivers of tears down there.

injuredinmelee
10-16-2014, 11:58 AM
got to agree with Red this one looks to be for third place.

slingshot
10-16-2014, 03:16 PM
got to agree with Red this one looks to be for third place.I think S'ville is the obvious favorite. Big Spring and Wylie a toss-up for 2nd and Brownwood a solid grip on 4th. Snyder? Not this year...

ccmom
10-17-2014, 11:15 AM
Looks like the weather is going to be perfect! Bring on the kitty cats!

BwdLions
10-17-2014, 11:46 AM

They'll be there. Just make sure those flea-bitten pups are ready to play.

hollywood
10-17-2014, 12:07 PM
They'll be there. Just make sure those flea-bitten pups are ready to play.

hollywood
10-17-2014, 12:08 PM

:catredx: meow

Bosqueville
10-17-2014, 01:10 PM
Am I hearing right? Bwd swept JV and frosh games??? interesting huh CCMOM?

nobogey72
10-17-2014, 02:20 PM
Am I hearing right? Bwd swept JV and frosh games??? interesting huh CCMOM?

Yeah and I heard it was the Brownwood Chapter of officials that called the games. We'll make up for it tonight, as the officials of tonights game have already been taken care of :wave:

Bosqueville
10-17-2014, 03:45 PM
Yeah and I heard it was the Brownwood Chapter of officials that called the games. We'll make up for it tonight, as the officials of tonights game have already been taken care of :wave:

:lies:

BwdLion73
10-17-2014, 06:43 PM

:doh: Don't doubt nb...:kiss:

BullDawgDad
10-17-2014, 08:46 PM
@gofridaynight: HALFTIME: Wylie 28 Brownwood 7

Phantom Stang
10-17-2014, 10:01 PM
Final score
Wylie 42
Brownwood 7

BwdLion73
10-17-2014, 10:18 PM
I heard our band looked really good at half. Congrats to Wylie on a total butt kicking.

garciap77
10-17-2014, 10:58 PM
The M&G was great!