PDA

View Full Version : RIO HONDO BOBCATS vs PI TARPONS....it has begun!

ValleyCat
10-13-2014, 09:13 PM
I'm surprised TarponFan hadn't started a thread....

Here goes...

RH-35
PI-31

PI was a young and inexperienced team, but talented at the skill positions early in the season. They seemed to have grown up quick. They are the valley's only undefeated team and ranked #12 in the state. Good on them, my hats off to them. They deserve that kind of recognition.

BUT....hold on now.

PI is playing a 4-1 experienced and improved RH team. The only loss was to Sinton 35-7. Last week the 'Cats didn't exactly perform as well as us RH fans would have liked against West Oso. But, they came out with the Dubya.

It's no secret what Port Isabel is gonna attempt to do...is impose their will. They have that K.I.S.S offense and a "bend but don't break D". Nothing special...what is extraordinary is how well they do what they do. Yet, I still have some reservations.

I've watched PI's film and there still are some weaknesses that first year players are making for them. Bad for them, good for the 'Cats.

By no means, am I saying my 'Cats don't have their weaknesses either, but with the experience the 'Cats have on the team made up of mostly Juniors and Seniors.

The 'Cats have developed a strong running game with one of the valley's top RBs in Marco Garate. Our D is ranked #1 in district....so I'm going with my 'Cats in this one.

GO 'CATS GO!

SintonFan_inAustin
10-13-2014, 09:41 PM
arrrr forgot the poll ValleyCat

ValleyCat
10-13-2014, 09:44 PM
arrrr forgot the poll ValleyCat

It wouldn't let me vote...did it close already?

SintonFan_inAustin
10-13-2014, 09:45 PM
poll to this thread.
you need 100 post I think to be able to vote on polls

ValleyCat
10-13-2014, 09:49 PM
poll to this thread.
you need 100 post I think to be able to vote on polls

Oops....I don't even do polls on the 956sportsforum either. LOL.

SintonFan_inAustin
10-13-2014, 09:51 PM
Oops....I don't even do polls on the 956sportsforum either. LOL.

no problem hopefully a mod can put one not that it matters but for entertaining purposes only :)

SintonFan_inAustin
10-13-2014, 09:53 PM
one good thing I saw from RH defense is they can put a hit on a ball carrier. I think they match up well this year so should be a very good game.

ValleyCat
10-13-2014, 10:02 PM
no problem hopefully a mod can put one not that it matters but for entertaining purposes only :)

Anyway, PI's got some players...De los Santos has gone into his own. Mock is a bulldozer of a QB.

I did notice PI runs a 4-3/Dime type of scheme against Spread teams. two DL, Two DEs, one MLB...they seem to spread their OLBs to cover the flats better. They're not as fundamentally sound as last season, but they've been getting the job done.

Offensively, Toss Rt, Toss Lt, Counter, Iso/Belly, PA or Rollouts...the usual PI stuff....I noticed they're running more of a midline option, but will use the Triple option from time to time. Mock runs it better than Martinez did last season. I'm anticipating them running a read option out of the spread...maybe some quick hitches.

Marco Colorado has stayed on D, but I'm expecting him to be used some against my 'Cats. That young fella has some jets.

ValleyCat
10-13-2014, 10:04 PM
one good thing I saw from RH defense is they can put a hit on a ball carrier. I think they match up well this year so should be a very good game.

Well, from my understanding y'alls HC went up to #1 and exchanged some encouraging words for him and the 'Cats.

ValleyCat
10-13-2014, 10:10 PM
The 'Cats D flys to the ball well, head and shoulder above from last season.

Offensively, we gotta protect the football and play keep away on offense. 'Cats just gotta stay patient.

ValleyCat
10-13-2014, 10:26 PM
West Oso game clip

Here's a clip of our RB...Garate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw6uwq3cNpY

ValleyCat
10-13-2014, 10:27 PM
And our QB...Pitones

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQDRctnOovw

iFootball
10-13-2014, 10:33 PM
Backing the cats on this one RH by 10

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-13-2014, 10:39 PM
I love it when Rio Hondo fans think they have a shot. lmao

PI by 14

PI has a big O Line and a stable of RBs. That D from RH may be good, but by the end they'll get worn down. Don't be surprised if Trey Mock bulldozes a few Bobcat players.

SintonFan_inAustin
10-13-2014, 11:15 PM
hoping PI wins, would like to see that oct 31 st game with both Orange Grove and Port Isabel unbeaten in district matchup but right now i'm thinking RH is going to win this matchup. They're a more experience team and might show up in this game.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-13-2014, 11:24 PM
hoping PI wins, would like to see that oct 31 st game with both Orange Grove and Port Isabel unbeaten in district matchup but right now i'm thinking RH is going to win this matchup. They're a more experience team and might show up in this game.

All right! People doubting the Tarpons. Us fans, and especially our kids, love this. Truth be told, I'm shocked the Tarpons are 6-0, considering just how young the Tarpons are this season. They've been proving everyone wrong this season.

regaleagle
10-13-2014, 11:29 PM
Interesting tidbits for my Weekly Pickem contest. I'll need to do further digging.

SintonFan_inAustin
10-13-2014, 11:32 PM
All right! People doubting the Tarpons. Us fans, and especially our kids, love this. Truth be told, I'm shocked the Tarpons are 6-0, considering just how young the Tarpons are this season. They've been proving everyone wrong this season.not doubting just giving some credit to this years RH team, offensively they might not had been up to speed but looks like they've improve some in that department. I've back both teams for a while now so I have no preference when they meet and just go by what I think the teams are at that point of the season. Would like to have seen this matchup but won't see the Tarpons til that oct. 31st game.

ValleyCat
10-13-2014, 11:59 PM
All right! People doubting the Tarpons. Us fans, and especially our kids, love this. Truth be told, I'm shocked the Tarpons are 6-0, considering just how young the Tarpons are this season. They've been proving everyone wrong this season.

Come on Tarp...both teams are 5-5 against each other, the past ten seasons...it's been back and forth since '99...with PI taking an 8-7 edge.

I'm not surprised PI is 6-0....y'all don't play top 5A teams(old 4A) anymore. Not like in the '90s and the '00s.

What I am surprised is how quickly the young Tarpons have matured.

As far as the 'Cats, I had a feeling we'd be in the position we're in with a 5-1 record....if we were 3-2 or 2-3 going into this match up I'd be extremely concerned.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-14-2014, 12:03 AM
Interesting tidbits for my Weekly Pickem contest. I'll need to do further digging.

Not a whole lot to dig into. I'll give you a rundown.

Rio Hondo - Tends to put up big numbers during their non-district play, and fold when they face much tougher competition. Case in point, lost to Sinton 35-7.

Port Isabel - Despite their youth, they have been winning their games and overcoming mistakes and penalties, which, vs. Progreso (coming off BYE week) were cleaned up immensely. PI is 95% run, and they do it well. Even if RH puts 11 in the box, PI will still grind their yards and keep the RH offense (which actually played poorly vs. CC West Oso last week) off the field.

ValleyCat
10-14-2014, 12:19 AM
I love it when Rio Hondo fans think they have a shot. lmao

PI by 14

PI has a big O Line and a stable of RBs. That D from RH may be good, but by the end they'll get worn down. Don't be surprised if Trey Mock bulldozes a few Bobcat players.

He's a bulldozer no doubt, but he's gonna end up causing himself concussions the way he puts his head down at the end of runs. Maybe not against RH, but at some point he will.

Here's a little clip of our #1 on D...enjoy.:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Ya8xj6cz4&index=2&list=UUAiilmyFmK0DYmWQSKRXcVw

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-14-2014, 12:34 AM
Come on Tarp...both teams are 5-5 against each other, the past ten seasons...it's been back and forth since '99...with PI taking an 8-7 edge.

I'm not surprised PI is 6-0....y'all don't play top 5A teams(old 4A) anymore. Not like in the '90s and the '00s.

What I am surprised is how quickly the young Tarpons have matured.

As far as the 'Cats, I had a feeling we'd be in the position we're in with a 5-1 record....if we were 3-2 or 2-3 going into this match up I'd be extremely concerned.

And your 5 wins were against arguably some of our worst teams to come out of Port Isabel since the early 1970s, especially that 2008 and 2009 group. Congratulations if you think that somehow puts a feather in Rio Hondo's cap. lmao

regaleagle
10-14-2014, 12:59 AM
Tarp....I voted for the Tarpons on your advise, even though I was torn to go with RH in this one. I like that defense ranking and the more experienced team concept, but you convinced me with that Sinton game that my thinking was off-kilter. I'll be watching this score come Friday nite.:1popcorn:

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-14-2014, 01:05 AM
Tarp....I voted for the Tarpons on your advise, even though I was torn to go with RH in this one. I like that defense ranking and the more experienced team concept, but you convinced me with that Sinton game that my thinking was off-kilter. I'll be watching this score come Friday nite.:1popcorn:

I MIGHT be at the game in person. Just waiting for a schedule conflict to clear up.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-14-2014, 01:07 AM
Here's a video of our bulldozer of a QB, Trey Mock. He's only a Sophomore by the way. Oh yeah, the Rio Grande City player was concussed and also broke his collarbone. Out for the year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTvBTybAasM

regaleagle
10-14-2014, 01:40 AM
I saw the clips against RGC and it was a beat-down. RGC didn't look that threatening, though. But the beasts PI have at rb looks like they will wear a D out. The kickoff coverage team needs some work, it appears, but that kind of stuff is easily improved as the season progresses. Defense looks tough and not afraid to hit. Looks like they can cause some chaos and turnovers. Pass rush is good, except by a scrambling or shifty qb could be problematic at the corners. All in all, for younger players I'd say this is a good football team.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-14-2014, 05:58 AM
I saw the clips against RGC and it was a beat-down. RGC didn't look that threatening, though. But the beasts PI have at rb looks like they will wear a D out. The kickoff coverage team needs some work, it appears, but that kind of stuff is easily improved as the season progresses. Defense looks tough and not afraid to hit. Looks like they can cause some chaos and turnovers. Pass rush is good, except by a scrambling or shifty qb could be problematic at the corners. All in all, for younger players I'd say this is a good football team.

Good morning!

Yes, it pretty much was a beatdown, though RGC offensively were executing pretty well, they just couldn't punch it in against the PI defense that day. The final score was 36-27, which may make you think the game was close, but RGC scored two late touchdowns during trash time in the 4th Qtr. against what was mostly PI's Junior Varsity defense (the JV didn't play that week) so in essence, it really was a 36-14 game.

Another thing to note, and I may need to go back and look to verify the scrimmage result (ValleyCat can correct me if I'm wrong), but Rio Hondo and Port Isabel do have a common opponent. Brownsville St. Joseph. Although, Rio Hondo's skirmish with them was a scrimmage, PI played them a full game. St. Joseph got the better of Rio Hondo in their scrimmage, and also got the better of Port Isabel in the 1st half of their game (14-10 @ half) but to give you an idea of how Port Isabel's rushing attack can wear a team down, Port Isabel, in the 2nd half of their game with St. Joseph, outscored them 34-7. Also, St. Joseph, just like Rio Hondo, is a Spread team that also had a mobile QB by the name of Kai Money.

SintonFan_inAustin
10-14-2014, 08:23 AM
Good morning!

Yes, it pretty much was a beatdown, though RGC offensively were executing pretty well, they just couldn't punch it in against the PI defense that day. The final score was 36-27, which may make you think the game was close, but RGC scored two late touchdowns during trash time in the 4th Qtr. against what was mostly PI's Junior Varsity defense (the JV didn't play that week) so in essence, it really was a 36-14 game.

Another thing to note, and I may need to go back and look to verify the scrimmage result (ValleyCat can correct me if I'm wrong), but Rio Hondo and Port Isabel do have a common opponent. Brownsville St. Joseph. Although, Rio Hondo's skirmish with them was a scrimmage, PI played them a full game. St. Joseph got the better of Rio Hondo in their scrimmage, and also got the better of Port Isabel in the 1st half of their game (14-10 @ half) but to give you an idea of how Port Isabel's rushing attack can wear a team down, Port Isabel, in the 2nd half of their game with St. Joseph, outscored them 34-7. Also, St. Joseph, just like Rio Hondo, is a Spread team that also had a mobile QB by the name of Kai Money.There is common opponents in real games.

Rio Hondo 40 La Grulla 0, Port Isabel 29 La Grulla 9
Rio Hondo 48 Hidalgo 20, Port Isabel 38 Hidalgo 17

Like I've mention before top 4 teams in D16 DII not much seperates them, they're all pretty good.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-14-2014, 11:54 AM
There is common opponents in real games.

Rio Hondo 40 La Grulla 0, Port Isabel 29 La Grulla 9
Rio Hondo 48 Hidalgo 20, Port Isabel 38 Hidalgo 17

Like I've mention before top 4 teams in D16 DII not much seperates them, they're all pretty good.

PI vs. La Grulla was PI's Week 1 game, despite penalties and turnovers, they took down LG with ease.
And in the PI vs. Hidalgo matchup, Hidalgo scored a VERY LATE touchdown in the 4th against 2nd team defense. So in essence, that game was 38-10 with Hidalgo's only TD being a fumble recovery in the endzone.

SintonFan_inAustin
10-14-2014, 12:11 PM
PI vs. La Grulla was PI's Week 1 game, despite penalties and turnovers, they took down LG with ease.
And in the PI vs. Hidalgo matchup, Hidalgo scored a VERY LATE touchdown in the 4th against 2nd team defense. So in essence, that game was 38-10 with Hidalgo's only TD being a fumble recovery in the endzone.We can all nic pick a game, final score is final score rather if its 2nd stringers or whatever. No need for details because all that won't matter when they play it'll just be how they matchup against each other. Come on TFINT give RH some credit before the game.

SHSBulldog00
10-14-2014, 12:23 PM
I just added a poll.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-14-2014, 12:24 PM
We can all nic pick a game, final score is final score rather if its 2nd stringers or whatever. No need for details because all that won't matter when they play it'll just be how they matchup against each other. Come on TFINT give RH some credit before the game.

Sorry, but no.

There have been so many times where Rio Hondo folks think they've got a good thing going leading up to the PI game. One major one comes to mind, if I recall correctly it was 2002 or 2003, RH had a RB by the name of Jimmie Heath, who after 5 games nearly had 1,000 yards rushing. He only needed 80 yards or something to break 1k. RH were talking all sorts of mess to PI too, including their coaches towards our coaches and players.

Result? 45-0 PI, and Jimmie Health was held to just 40 yards rushing.

SHSBulldog00
10-14-2014, 12:28 PM
I'm going with the Tarpons by 10. Seawall Defense will get the job done.

SintonFan_inAustin
10-14-2014, 12:30 PM
Sorry, but no.

There have been so many times where Rio Hondo folks think they've got a good thing going leading up to the PI game. One major one comes to mind, if I recall correctly it was 2002 or 2003, RH had a RB by the name of Jimmie Heath, who after 5 games nearly had 1,000 yards rushing. He only needed 80 yards or something to break 1k. RH were talking all sorts of mess to PI too, including their coaches towards our coaches and players.

that's why I said before the game because none of us know what will happen when kick off Friday night, PI can do just what you mention or vice versa or could actually be one heck of a game. Going in I think they've shown they can be given credit, 5-1 record just like PI record of 6-0. Both deserve credit going in for a good season so far.

region4fan
10-14-2014, 01:17 PM
PI by 10

ValleyCat
10-14-2014, 09:39 PM
Sorry, but no.

He he...I'll agree with you about Heath. He had no business being a RB. I saw him get hit hard and he wanted no part in that game anymore...it think it was '02.

Yea, I never liked the former RH assistant coach, you are talking about, who went up to the PI players and started running his mouth. He was there my senior year and he'd always run his mouth.

Our previous head coach emphasized discipline and character.

Heck, I was fuming when I heard what happened in the stands back in '12...and our coaches didn't do anything about it. bull crud.

Anyway, we aren't the ones keeping track of stats this time around....PI fans are on the 956 forum....so, truth be told...stats won't matter at the end of this game.

RH-35
PI-31

It's gonna be a close one.

ValleyCat
10-14-2014, 09:54 PM
Not a whole lot to dig into. I'll give you a rundown.

Rio Hondo - Tends to put up big numbers during their non-district play, and fold when they face much tougher competition. Case in point, lost to Sinton 35-7.

Port Isabel - Despite their youth, they have been winning their games and overcoming mistakes and penalties, which, vs. Progreso (coming off BYE week) were cleaned up immensely. PI is 95% run, and they do it well. Even if RH puts 11 in the box, PI will still grind their yards and keep the RH offense (which actually played poorly vs. CC West Oso last week) off the field.

1.Keep thinking that.

2.You're in denial...anyone who plays Progreso would have mistakes cleaned up immensely...mostly because Progreso makes more mistakes. LMAO.

I recall when PI regularly sheduled teams like Edcouch-Elsa, Mercedes, and other more competitve teams AND WON. It's not 1994 or 2003.

Say what you want about our game against West Oso, they are significantly better than Progreso. Don't let your Tarpons go to sleep on them tho.

ValleyCat
10-14-2014, 10:01 PM
Sorry, but no.

O yea, speaking of talking all sorts of mess...'07 and '08 were supposed to be two of PI's most dominanat years as the Juniors and Seniors during those years had WON district titles like PI fans keep claiming with the Juniors and Seniors this time around.

Can you say HYPE??

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-14-2014, 11:22 PM
O yea, speaking of talking all sorts of mess...'07 and '08 were supposed to be two of PI's most dominanat years as the Juniors and Seniors during those years had WON district titles like PI fans keep claiming with the Juniors and Seniors this time around.

Can you say HYPE??

That was actually the 2008 and 2009 group. Very talented, yes, but so incredibly un-disciplined it turned out. They are proof that it doesn't matter what you do in Junior High, Fresh, and JV. They thought they were hot. Truth was, they were not. A very unfortunate exception to the traditional Tarpon rule. The two worst teams Port Isabel has produced since 1972.

Regarding this year's Senior group, they do have talent and speed. JJ Gonzalez and Marco Colorado being the two quickest. Other than a few linemen, the rest are underclassmen. The fans this year had no idea what to expect. Were we hopeful? Yes, but were we expecting to be 6-0 going into our game with Rio Hondo? Truth be told, I didn't think we would beat RGC, mainly because PI had never played them. Didn't know what to expect from them. And the BSJ game, I thought would be a much closer game. Was surprised at how dominant PI was in the 2nd half of that game.

footballgal
10-15-2014, 12:10 AM
Solos 😂😜

ValleyCat
10-15-2014, 01:52 AM
Solos ����

He he....indeed. Leave it to a former PI player and a former RH player duking it out on here. GO 'CATS!

Nah...NT is cool. You are too footballgal, but some of your brethren....not so much.

Anyway, best wishes to both my 'Cats and your Tarpons.

By the way, there will be plenty of NOISE by RH fans this season...I challenge PI fans to a "Clash of the Fans" cheering for each others teams. LET'S MAKE SOME NOISE!

Blue42
10-15-2014, 03:22 AM
Fish over Cats in a hard pounding nail biter.

ValleyCat
10-15-2014, 01:33 PM
fish over cats in a hard pounding nail biter.

go 'cats go!

ValleyCat
10-15-2014, 01:34 PM
go 'cats go!

99IHSMustang
10-15-2014, 02:04 PM
Give me PI by 7.

Snotbubbles
10-15-2014, 02:56 PM
(=^.^=) by 2.

End's all the hype.

hollywood
10-15-2014, 02:59 PM
(=^.^=) by 2.

End's all the hype.

PI ><((((º> by 7.

Nuff said.

YTBulldogs
10-15-2014, 03:04 PM
PI ><((((º> by 7.

Nuff said.

See, Downlow has some talented artist (snot and H'wood) amongst their posters. 666 board, or whatever that other chat place number is, can't touch us. :clap:

footballgal
10-17-2014, 05:54 PM
Go Big Blue !!!

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-17-2014, 06:06 PM
Go Tarpons Go!

SO SORRY I was unable to make it down, as I couldn't clear up my schedule. Going to try for the Raymondville game in PI and/or the CC West Oso game in CC.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-17-2014, 08:41 PM
Halftime score

Port Isabel & Rio Hondo tied at 7 at the half.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-17-2014, 10:16 PM
Rio Hondo - 21
Port Isabel - 14

FINAL

Very, very ugly game for both teams. Tarpons made many more mistakes than Rio Hondo tonight and could not overcome them this time.

ValleyCat
10-18-2014, 12:02 AM
Rio Hondo - 21
Port Isabel - 14

FINAL

Very, very ugly game for both teams. Tarpons made many more mistakes than Rio Hondo tonight and could not overcome them this time.

Hey man, your boys came to play and gave my 'Cats all they could ask for. I was dissappointed with those three missed opportunities we had there in the first qtr...our QB threw an INT, RB fumbled, and PI D held us at the 1yd line....credit to PI's D.

Gonzalez got hurt, but he showed true grit with him coming back in the second half....my hats off to him.

I was upset Colorado wasn't in the game for PI...any word why?

SintonFan_inAustin
10-18-2014, 01:21 AM
Rio Hondo - 21
Port Isabel - 14

FINAL

Very, very ugly game for both teams. Tarpons made many more mistakes than Rio Hondo tonight and could not overcome them this time. a pretty good defense can make it look like a ugly game, sometimes the other team just forces a younger inexperience team to press more leading to mistakes. Imo RH had a lot to do with how PI played and vice versa as PI D also seems to have played well.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-18-2014, 10:11 AM
I was upset Colorado wasn't in the game for PI...any word why?

Grades.....which is a HUGE disappointment. To my knowledge, the first time a PI player has done that since the 2008 & 2009 seasons.

Snotbubbles
10-18-2014, 10:15 AM
(=^.^=) by 2.

End's all the hype.

Told ya Hollywood. Fear the fur (=^.^=)

Now hush, all the hype is over with.