PDA

View Full Version : Celina

Wonkas_Willy
10-13-2014, 08:15 PM
Are their days gone? Will they ever be great again?

WOS87
10-13-2014, 08:16 PM
I love Celina

Rocket Man
10-13-2014, 08:22 PM
I say no, yes

d0tc0m
10-13-2014, 09:43 PM
Wonka, are you the one who was stirring up garbage earlier , ranting something about Advocate and Facebook? Or was that someone else?

regaleagle
10-14-2014, 01:14 AM
Celina makes the playoffs every season and usually goes at least 2 rounds deep....enough said. Most programs can't say that....in fact very few can. Celina has an excellent chance this season to win Region 1 D-2, and that would put them in the semis against the Region 2 D-2 winner. When you get to the semis, that's all a coaching staff can ask for. From there, it's only one game to the finals.

Celina8
10-14-2014, 04:54 AM
In my life time I have seen Celina play in 10 State Championship games , 13 State Semis, 68 game winning streak and many more accomplishments so actually if the good times are over it was one hell of a run. The issue that Celina will have is GROWTH, this area is growing very fast and like so many of the small communities that I once new such as Frisco, Forney, Little Elm, Royce City, we will be moving up and it will come much sooner than anyone really thinks. With that move there will be a long period of growing pains not only for Football, but for all other sports. I actually believe in 4 to 6 years we will be Class 5A along with Argyle, Anna, Princeton, Aubrey, and Melissa will not be to far behind. Here in Celina we have three areas that I know of that will begin developement after January with the smallest being 1900 homes and the other two being almost 4,000 homes. You would be surprised how fast those homes can be built and how fast it can change a school district. From an Economic standpoint it is all for the best because if you are actually sliding down in school classification then your community is probably hurting. We still have a few years to make some noise including this year but things will change for my Bobcats as I see it everyday when I drive to work.

Wonkas_Willy
10-14-2014, 10:46 AM
No, I didn't say anything about advocare or fb.... Don't know where that came from. I just made a statement once that in my opinion, since the LEGENDS are gone, Celina is done...Yeah, it is set up for them to win a very weak region but will they be able to win that game or two they shouldn't win like they used to when they would beat a Mart or EF, East Tx Fast school etc... Not bashing here at all just seeing what others think.

Bullaholic
10-14-2014, 01:39 PM
I've always had a lot of respect for the Celina program---just in football alone, SC rings for all-but-the-thumbs, and a heckuva winning tradition. Nobody can argue with that regardless of coaching, scheduling, or playoff draws...

d0tc0m
10-14-2014, 03:33 PM
In my life time I have seen Celina play in 10 State Championship games , 13 State Semis, 68 game winning streak and many more accomplishments so actually if the good times are over it was one hell of a run. The issue that Celina will have is GROWTH, this area is growing very fast and like so many of the small communities that I once new such as Frisco, Forney, Little Elm, Royce City, we will be moving up and it will come much sooner than anyone really thinks. With that move there will be a long period of growing pains not only for Football, but for all other sports. I actually believe in 4 to 6 years we will be Class 5A along with Argyle, Anna, Princeton, Aubrey, and Melissa will not be to far behind. Here in Celina we have three areas that I know of that will begin developement after January with the smallest being 1900 homes and the other two being almost 4,000 homes. You would be surprised how fast those homes can be built and how fast it can change a school district. From an Economic standpoint it is all for the best because if you are actually sliding down in school classification then your community is probably hurting. We still have a few years to make some noise including this year but things will change for my Bobcats as I see it everyday when I drive to work.

My parents still live just west of town, and my mom sent me a picture of that 1,900-home development, which is going in just down the road from them. The growth is coming, and like you said, it's coming quick. I'm not opposed to growth and progression, but it makes me a little sad to know that I won't be able to bring my kids back and show them where I grew up. They won't get to know the small-town Celina that I knew as a kid.

regaleagle
10-14-2014, 03:48 PM
On the flip side, Celina does need a new stadium and some upgrades, so that new population will infuse the needed funds to the school district. With their tradition, I don't see Celina not being able to compete in the future in 5a with growth and added enrollment. Usually, winning programs stay winning programs over the long haul, even if there is a short adjustment period from moving up in classification.

Sweetwater Red
10-14-2014, 03:52 PM
Great, i can already see what will happen if Sweetwater or Monahans "shocks!" Celina in the quarters. :rolleyes:

bobcat1
10-14-2014, 06:21 PM
Great, i can already see what will happen if Sweetwater or Monahans "shocks!" Celina in the quarters. :rolleyes:
Why would that be a shock Red?

WOS87
10-14-2014, 07:08 PM
I love Sweetwater too... maybe even more

Celina8
10-14-2014, 07:37 PM

No shock if it happens from my view, heck I am old enough to remember Sweetwater beating Tomball in 85 for the State Title and noboby including myself thought that would happen.

Wonkas_Willy
10-14-2014, 10:29 PM
Im not talking about Celina's past...We all know how great it is, What I am asking is their run OVER? Will they ever win it again? they haven't won a title since 07 and they seem to get a little worse every year lately. Look how Henderson spanked em last year and look how Bishop Lynch spanked their lil Orange hiney pretty good. Again, not hating not bashing but if anybody thinks a G.A. team gives up 60+ points on D or a Butch Ford team lets somebody run for over 300 yds... Well, I just don't believe it.

d0tc0m
10-14-2014, 10:51 PM
I guess you forgot all about 2009, Wonka. That Butch Ford team went 7-5 — the worst season for a Celina team dating back to 1987. Butch and G.A. were great coaches, there's no question ... legendary coaches, even. But they also had some incredible kids on those great teams. And the fact of the matter is, football has evolved an immense amount since the glory days. So much so, that a lot of Butch and G.A.'s philosophies are almost obsolete against some of the offensive/defensive sophistication found in today's football landscape. The one thing I think Celina truly misses from those guys is just the grit and toughness. Celina isn't tough anymore. There was a time when the Orange Crush defense was feared by all. That's just not the case anymore, and I think that's where the Bobcats miss G.A. and Butch the most.

bobcat1
10-14-2014, 10:52 PM
Im not talking about Celina's past...We all know how great it is, What I am asking is their run OVER? Will they ever win it again? they haven't won a title since 07 and they seem to get a little worse every year lately. Look how Henderson spanked em last year and look how Bishop Lynch spanked their lil Orange hiney pretty good. Again, not hating not bashing but if anybody thinks a G.A. team gives up 60+ points on D or a Butch Ford team lets somebody run for over 300 yds... Well, I just don't believe it.

All true. As much as it pains me. That 07 defense had a swagger to them. Down right nasty. That kid from Dallas Madison that turned pro was shut down and completely frustrated at McKinney. Then Kendall Wright from Pittsburg got shut down and then Rico from Brownwood told the media Celina wasn't shutting him down but we all know how that worked out. Almost forgot that kid from Vernon and the kid from Snyder that year. Lots of talented running backs were shut down that year. That defense was well schooled and were mean as snakes.

slingshot
10-14-2014, 10:54 PM
On the flip side, Celina does need a new stadium and some upgrades...I'll tell you who needs a new stadium--ARGYLE. Great school, great program, worst stadium other than Graham I've seen.

d0tc0m
10-14-2014, 11:32 PM
All true. As much as it pains me. That 07 defense had a swagger to them. Down right nasty. That kid from Dallas Madison that turned pro was shut down and completely frustrated at McKinney. Then Kendall Wright from Pittsburg got shut down and then Rico from Brownwood told the media Celina wasn't shutting him down but we all know how that worked out. Almost forgot that kid from Vernon and the kid from Snyder that year. Lots of talented running backs were shut down that year. That defense was well schooled and were mean as snakes.

Those defenses were some of the best Celina ever had. Vernon/Brownsboro were in 2006, Snyder/Pitt were 2007. As good as those two teams were, they didn't hold a candle to the 2005 Bobcats. Still the best Celina team ever, IMO. Outscored opponents 804-75 that season, with like 6 or 7 shutouts. Just absolutely beastly. That's what Celina doesn't have anymore, those hard-nosed slobberknocking defenses that used to beat the opponent before the coin flip.

d0tc0m
10-14-2014, 11:33 PM
Sorry, double post.

bobcat1
10-15-2014, 07:36 AM

Those defenses were some of the best Celina ever had. Vernon/Brownsboro were in 2006, Snyder/Pitt were 2007. As good as those two teams were, they didn't hold a candle to the 2005 Bobcats. Still the best Celina team ever, IMO. Outscored opponents 804-75 that season, with like 6 or 7 shutouts. Just absolutely beastly. That's what Celina doesn't have anymore, those hard-nosed slobberknocking defenses that used to beat the opponent before the coin flip.Yep you are correct. Madison, Brownsboro, and Vernon were 2006. The point is the swagger and attitude. You can take 2005 and then 2006 and 2007 and say the same thing. Not many points allowed and the defenses were intense.

Sweetwater Red
10-15-2014, 08:44 AM
Why would that be a shock Red?

It won't be to the Red or Green folks out west. But, either team will
be about a 10 to 12 point dog to Celina if they should meet them in the
quarters. So, if either of us beat the Bobcats then I can here it now.
Celina is down, Celina isn't what they use to be etc.

I love Sweetwater too... probably ALOT more

Fixed it for you

No shock if it happens from my view, heck I am old enough to remember Sweetwater beating Tomball in 85 for the State Title and noboby including myself thought that would happen.

I was a freshman in HS that year. Crazy thing is the starting QB got hurt and the back up played in that game.
Some people around here still say that's probably why we won that game. Tomball's QB was Lance Pavlas.
A&M folks might recognize that name. They also had a RB named Bubba Greely. Not sure where he went.
Maybe Baylor?

d0tc0m
10-15-2014, 11:06 AM
Yep you are correct. Madison, Brownsboro, and Vernon were 2006. The point is the swagger and attitude. You can take 2005 and then 2006 and 2007 and say the same thing. Not many points allowed and the defenses were intense.

Yeah, you're right Bobcat, all three of those teams could just flat out play on both sides of the ball. I think that swagger, attitude and just pure heart from those teams was embodied in little Breck Holman (sp?). That kid ... just unbelievable. What was he, like 5'4-5? At best? And the kid just had a nose for the football. I'll never forget the picture of him lined up against that massive offensive tackle from Brownsboro in 2006. That kid had a good foot and a half on Breck, and probably well over 125-50 pounds. But Breck worked him all night long to the point that it was comical. It was that kind of heart and 'there's-no-way-you're-going-to-beat-me' attitude that used to define Celina. Hope it gets back to that at some point.

Tom Foolery
10-15-2014, 11:15 AM
Know how you can tell its over? When all you have to talk about is the past. Celina has a very proud past but the entire town seems to have lost its love affair with football. Growth will not be good for Celina. Go ask Lovejoy of Prosper how it has worked for them.

bobcat1
10-15-2014, 11:19 AM
Yeah, you're right Bobcat, all three of those teams could just flat out play on both sides of the ball. I think that swagger, attitude and just pure heart from those teams was embodied in little Breck Holman (sp?). That kid ... just unbelievable. What was he, like 5'4-5? At best? And the kid just had a nose for the football. I'll never forget the picture of him lined up against that massive offensive tackle from Brownsboro in 2006. That kid had a good foot and a half on Breck, and probably well over 125-50 pounds. But Breck worked him all night long to the point that it was comical. It was that kind of heart and 'there's-no-way-you're-going-to-beat-me' attitude that used to define Celina. Hope it gets back to that at some point.
Yep! Breck was a goodun for sure.

bobcat1
10-15-2014, 11:22 AM
Then again maybe you won't hear it at all. :devil: There is a lot of football to be played between now and then. We'll see. Bridgeport is the next test. One game at a time and one play at a time.

regaleagle
10-15-2014, 11:22 AM
I guess you've never been to Celina's stadium, huh? No parking whatsoever....seats 2800. Would never be able to support a 5A fanbase. At least Argyle seats 3500, and will have upgrades for an additional 600 next year, as well as a few other upgrades. Go to Texas Bob's Stadiums and check em out. Both stadiums are from the 2A days. Both have turf playing surfaces too, so the actual playing fields are great....it's just the amenities for the fans that need the upgrades. Which all goes to prove you don't need a great stadium to have a great football program, and a great stadium will not automatically produce a great program.

Sweetwater Red
10-15-2014, 11:41 AM
Then again maybe you won't hear it at all. :devil:

Good point. Vernon may very well beat you guys before we get the chance to. :devil:

Celina8
10-15-2014, 12:10 PM
Good point. Vernon may very well beat you guys before we get the chance to. :devil:

Well if we do make it that far in the playoffs I am guessing we would meet in Brownwood.

bobcat1
10-15-2014, 12:18 PM
Anything is possible at this point in the season. Like I said, Celina has to get by Bridgeport first.

Bullaholic
10-15-2014, 12:57 PM
Anything is possible at this point in the season. Like I said, Celina has to get by Bridgeport first.

You dang right you do, bobcat! You be walkin' in here---you be limpin' back.....:D

Sweetwater Red
10-15-2014, 01:18 PM
You dang right you do, bobcat! You be walkin' in here---you be limpin' back.....:D

:clap:

RPF2666
10-17-2014, 05:58 AM

Fixed it for you

I was a freshman in HS that year. Crazy thing is the starting QB got hurt and the back up played in that game.
Some people around here still say that's probably why we won that game. Tomball's QB was Lance Pavlas.
A&M folks might recognize that name. They also had a RB named Bubba Greely. Not sure where he went.
Maybe Baylor?

If... IFs and BUTs were candy and nuts, Christmas would be EVERYDAY... too! :kiss:

Sweetwater Red
10-17-2014, 08:59 AM
If... IFs and BUTs were candy and nuts, Christmas would be EVERYDAY... too! :kiss:

Just for you

If the Orange play the Red or Green here are some possible locations

The half way point between Celina and Sweetwater is Stephenville

Sweetwater to Stephenville - 140 miles
Celina to Stephenville - 140 miles

The half way point between Celina and Monahans is Abilene.

Celina to Abilene - 211 miles
Monahans to Abilene - 205 miles

orange machine
10-17-2014, 11:26 AM
Just for you

The half way point between Celina and Monahans is Abilene.

Celina to Abilene - 211 miles
Monahans to Abilene - 205 miles

Stephenville yuck. No offense to the people there just not crazy about that stadium!

refereedoc
10-17-2014, 12:01 PM
Stephenville yuck. No offense to the people there just not crazy about that stadium!

Neither are we. Rug is wore out and the lights are terrible.

orange machine
10-17-2014, 12:41 PM
Neither are we. Rug is wore out and the lights are terrible.

Yea when yall were on espn it was really obvious.

hollywood
10-17-2014, 02:51 PM

Just for you

Mineral Wells would be a nice venue for an orange and red match up.

Sweetwater to Mineral Wells - 156 miles
Celina to Mineral Wells - 113 miles

Bullaholic
10-17-2014, 10:17 PM
nm- wrong thread..

Leopard4Life
10-27-2014, 12:00 AM
Know how you can tell its over? When all you have to talk about is the past. Celina has a very proud past but the entire town seems to have lost its love affair with football. Growth will not be good for Celina. Go ask Lovejoy of Prosper how it has worked for them.

Ok, I'll ask Lovejoy. Growth is fine for us. We are the smallest team in our district, have two district championships and will play for our third on Halloween night...

regaleagle
10-27-2014, 03:49 AM
Go Get em, Leopards....win another one.:clap:

Leopard4Life
11-08-2014, 12:18 AM
Ok, I'll ask Lovejoy. Growth is fine for us. We are the smallest team in our district, have two district championships and will play for our third on Halloween night...

Lovejoy won its 3rd District Championship since moving up a classification (now 2 classifications, but that is just labeling)