PDA

View Full Version : Burnet vs. Wharton II

Chris Hart
11-16-2003, 01:32 AM
What are your thoughts? It should be a great game. Wharton has beat two very good teams in consecutive weeks in Rice and Cuero. They should be ready for Burnet. Burnet is also playing very well. I love the playoffs, Go Burnet!

mwisnews
11-16-2003, 01:51 AM
Burnet knows what to expect from Wharton. Shipley tore up the secondary last year and since they are significantly better I bet that Burnet will beat Wharton like they did last year. The only way Burnet losses is if the offense shoots themselves in the foot. Plus if they play like they did last night then the game would be over by halftime just like last night.

<small>[ November 16, 2003, 12:52 AM: Message edited by: mwisnews ]</small>

SintonFan
11-16-2003, 02:28 AM
Wow. This game might be different than last year. Wharton DID beat two straight top 15 teams. Can they keep it up? Maybe it won't be so different than last year. I thought the Cuero power game could really hurt Burnet. No more Cuero. Wharton, I hope you guys want some revenge badly. I saw that game last year. It was painful to watch and yall could have handled it better. Good luck.
Line later in the week...
No prediction yet!

crabman
11-16-2003, 11:15 AM
Wharton has the most unbelievable array of athletes I have ever seen. A line that averages over 325 lbs. There is a total of 5 linemen that weigh over 300 lbs. Everyone talks about Kellen Heard. I am not sure he is even the best lineman on his own team. He is big and when he goes 100 percent he can be devastatiing but that is not often. #70 and #77 linemen are simply outstanding. #12 linebacker or safety is a playmaker. Their quarterback is on one of the quickest I have seen. Their running back got spun around 3 times by the Cuero defenders and landed on his feet every time. While the are sorely lacking in any kind of discipline (coach's fault, not the kids) athleticism does sometimes win out over dedication, hard work, and discpline.
I will say hats off to the Wharton boys. No trash talking. Classy in winning the game. I have not seen Burnet play this year but I don't see Wharton's secondary stacking up well to Burnet's passing attack. Prediction. Burnet by a bunch.

sinton66
11-16-2003, 11:29 AM
I think Wharton was somewhat embarrassed by last year's game. I figure the Wharton staff has something to prove this year. I believe they will make a better showing than last year, particularily with the game in Victoria. How much better is the only question in my mind. They do appear to be more focused this time around. Guess we'll see next Saturday.

sinfan75
11-16-2003, 11:35 AM
I think Burnet will win this one.

dawgdad
11-16-2003, 12:19 PM
Burnet came out with some different looks in the Somerset game. Criticism from the area newspaper about our running game being weak early on in the year. Coaches have done a good job of scouting opponents and adjusting for them. Chris Levens (HB) and Logan Nyquist (FB) really made a difference when Somerset decided to blitz. What kind of run defense does Wharton have? How about secondary coverage? Burnet's o-line is pretty stout and does a great job of protecting McGee- can Wharton's defense mount a pass rush?

sinton66
11-16-2003, 12:32 PM
Pass rush, I don't know, but they should be able to keep McGee behind the line of scrimmage. Might even contain Levens at least on the ground. Their dbs and secondary have the speed. Only question is will they be adequately prepared this time around? I'm selfish, and looking for a Burnet/Sinton rematch, so I'll go with the dogs on this one. Burnet scouters have a loooong road trip this time. wink

bd0707
11-16-2003, 12:37 PM
66 they have been flying to scout teams in the south.

sinton66
11-16-2003, 12:42 PM
That's cool, pretty smart too.... I'm not even thinking of trying to make it from here to Laredo Friday night. Just wayyyy too far to travel. Hmmmmm, Victoria is much closer! wink

<small>[ November 16, 2003, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

whrtntig1
11-16-2003, 02:02 PM
The Tigers were embarrass by their performance at last years Bunet game. They've been waiting all year for this game. You will see a much different team from last year.

bulldawg89
11-16-2003, 02:21 PM
Yes, Wharton does have great athletes...But so does Burnet. Wharton also had great athletes as well last year, as well as a QB the size of a GUARD! It didnt slow down the Burnet Defense though. I do beleive that Wharton will be better, but at the same time, so will Burnet.

35-14 Burnet

Chris Hart
11-16-2003, 02:50 PM
sinton66:
That's cool, pretty smart too.... I'm not even thinking of trying to make it from here to Laredo Friday night. Just wayyyy too far to travel. Hmmmmm, Victoria is much closer! wink Hey 66, Are you going to be at the Burnet game Sat.? If so, maybe we can finally meet. Just in case one of us lose before we have a chance for a rematch. I don't think yall will have any problems with Zapata, but Wharton may present a challenge for us. Let me know!

mwisnews
11-16-2003, 03:15 PM
Yeah, Wharton may have some big guys and some speedy guys, but isn't that what you said last year. Burnet just drove down on Wharton and they had to catch their breaths last year. Wharton can Blitz all they want what Burnet did was slip it to Levens or throw short. Burnet knows that the scouts were out there and so were Burnet at the Wharton Cuero game. Plus if Wharton only does QB draws and QB options like Jasper then your in big trouble Wharton. Burnet's defense is better than last year. They are faster and they are smarter. They know when to Blitz and know when to go out in coverage. Burnet's defense is better. I saw this on a post from a Burnet fan. "Burnet can make good teams look horrible". That is what they will do against Wharton next week.

ctownqb
11-16-2003, 03:45 PM
Last year when we played wharton we beat them evern though they were supposed to win and from talkin to some players from wharton there coaches got all over them for it and this year on the opening game of the season they beat us 44-0. I think wharton is going to come out ready to play against burnett remembering last year. Although I havent seen burnett play, ive heard how good they are about them but i wouldnt count wharton out. With the athletes they have anything could happen. This could be a very exiting game and burnetts starters might have to play the whole game. wharton is 5-0 at memorial stadium in victoria the last couple of years they have played there and probably feel very comfotable on that feild.

sinton66
11-16-2003, 04:24 PM
Chris Hart:

sinton66:
That's cool, pretty smart too.... I'm not even thinking of trying to make it from here to Laredo Friday night. Just wayyyy too far to travel. Hmmmmm, Victoria is much closer! wink Hey 66, Are you going to be at the Burnet game Sat.? If so, maybe we can finally meet. Just in case one of us lose before we have a chance for a rematch. I don't think yall will have any problems with Zapata, but Wharton may present a challenge for us. Let me know!Yeah, Chris. I most likely will come to Victoria. I'd really like to go see Sinton play, but I'd have to take Friday off to do that then drive all that way from Houston. I'm a crazy Sinton fan, but I'm not crazy about that drive. wink

Old Green
11-16-2003, 06:08 PM
Chris Hart:

sinton66:
That's cool, pretty smart too.... I'm not even thinking of trying to make it from here to Laredo Friday night. Just wayyyy too far to travel. Hmmmmm, Victoria is much closer! wink Hey 66, Are you going to be at the Burnet game Sat.? If so, maybe we can finally meet. Just in case one of us lose before we have a chance for a rematch. I don't think yall will have any problems with Zapata, but Wharton may present a challenge for us. Let me know!Count me in too!I'd like to meet Chris, just to see who I gave a five star rating to last year. :)

Buccaneer
11-16-2003, 06:45 PM
What was last's year Burnet/Wharton's score?

sinton66
11-16-2003, 06:50 PM
42-7 Burnet.

Chris Hart
11-16-2003, 09:38 PM
Old Green:

Chris Hart:

sinton66:
That's cool, pretty smart too.... I'm not even thinking of trying to make it from here to Laredo Friday night. Just wayyyy too far to travel. Hmmmmm, Victoria is much closer! wink Hey 66, Are you going to be at the Burnet game Sat.? If so, maybe we can finally meet. Just in case one of us lose before we have a chance for a rematch. I don't think yall will have any problems with Zapata, but Wharton may present a challenge for us. Let me know!Count me in too!I'd like to meet Chris, just to see who I gave a five star rating to last year. :) Sounds great guys, I'm looking forward to meeting the both of you. Do you guys prefer a pre-game meeting, or one at half-time, or both? Anything is fine with me, we've got a few days to decide.

BHS#1
11-16-2003, 10:34 PM
ctownqb:
Last year when we played wharton we beat them evern though they were supposed to win and from talkin to some players from wharton there coaches got all over them for it and this year on the opening game of the season they beat us 44-0. I think wharton is going to come out ready to play against burnett remembering last year. Although I havent seen burnett play, ive heard how good they are about them but i wouldnt count wharton out. With the athletes they have anything could happen. This could be a very exiting game and burnetts starters might have to play the whole game. wharton is 5-0 at memorial stadium in victoria the last couple of years they have played there and probably feel very comfotable on that feild.And Gatesville hadn't lost a home game 4 years and look what happened. :p

sinton66
11-16-2003, 10:47 PM
Chris Hart:

Old Green:

Chris Hart:

sinton66:
That's cool, pretty smart too.... I'm not even thinking of trying to make it from here to Laredo Friday night. Just wayyyy too far to travel. Hmmmmm, Victoria is much closer! wink Hey 66, Are you going to be at the Burnet game Sat.? If so, maybe we can finally meet. Just in case one of us lose before we have a chance for a rematch. I don't think yall will have any problems with Zapata, but Wharton may present a challenge for us. Let me know!Count me in too!I'd like to meet Chris, just to see who I gave a five star rating to last year. :) Sounds great guys, I'm looking forward to meeting the both of you. Do you guys prefer a pre-game meeting, or one at half-time, or both? Anything is fine with me, we've got a few days to decide.Either will work for me. Old Green and I both are smokers, so you know where we'll be during the half. wink

Buck
11-16-2003, 11:00 PM
I've seen Burnet play all year...and I watched Wharton this weekend against Cuero. This won't even be a game. Burnet will win and win big! Heard can't even get down in a stance by the end of the third quarter...and he's going to Miami? Burnet by 35.

Go Texans

PAINTBALL
11-16-2003, 11:20 PM
Some of the older Burnet Fans are attempting to get together some buses for the trip. I will post more information when it becomes available.

<small>[ November 16, 2003, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: PAINTBALL ]</small>

dawgdad
11-16-2003, 11:20 PM
I think this will be a really good game in the trenches, Wharton's D-line vs Burnet's O-line. Both teams have some huge linemen. Quick offensive linemen on Burnet's side of the line I think will prevail against heavy weight d-line of Wharton.McGee and Shipley are not the only players on this team, they are a well rounded team of athletes. When Levens cannot run the ball, he can catch it,when Shipley is not open, Warner is there to run,too. The running game for Burnet has really picked up in the last few weeks and is really awesome. Our team did not get ranked no. 1 for no reason. Don't know a lot about Wharton's offense, but it will face a test against Burnet's defense, lot's of speed there, too.

29east
11-17-2003, 01:06 AM
This is only my second post... I am mainly a reader and follower. I appreciate all the information I receive from everyone. I try to keep up with other districts as the season goes on... especially the districts that Burnet will be playing in the playoffs. Wharton will not challenge Burnet!!!! May not be as bad as Somerset but if Burnet plays their game it will not be close. Burnet will not be challenged till round 4. No disrespect to Sinton, which I feel Burnet will play in round 3, Burnet has to many weapons.

mwisnews
11-17-2003, 02:03 AM
Come on if the second team could score more points than the first team on Sommerset in the second half you know you have something going. Burnet is like Ennis they have one of the best quarterbacks in Texas with Graham Harrell on Ennis and McGee with Burnet. They dominated their district like Austin Westlake just blow everyone out during the 10 years they won district. Burnet is also like Sealy when they won 3 state championships just destroying everyone. Burnet plays like the intensity of Everman's two straight championship seasons. Burnet can only beat themselves and its not going to be to Wharton.

<small>[ November 17, 2003, 01:06 AM: Message edited by: mwisnews ]</small>

whrtntig1
11-17-2003, 08:47 AM
Yeah that's what Goliath said about David!

BHS#1
11-17-2003, 09:26 AM
But if it's a close game you are not going to see Burnet's second team. Does anyone remember the game's last year that Burnet First Team played all the way thru?

espn1
11-17-2003, 09:34 AM
whrtntig1:
Yeah that's what Goliath said about David!That's why Coach Shipley gave each player a sling and a bag of rocks.

Tarpon2004
11-17-2003, 09:36 AM
Look for a HUGE upset...or a very close game..

espn1
11-17-2003, 10:01 AM
Tarpon2004:
Look for a HUGE upset...or a very close game..Set back, watch the show, and become informed.

LogieJoeBean001
11-17-2003, 10:06 AM
You THINK Wharton was embarrassed last year. You bet! Perhaps this painful memory will put some fire into Wharton. It was an extremely painful game to watch. Hoping for a much better game than last year. I'm not going to make any predictions and just let the story unfold on the football field.

whtfbplaya
11-17-2003, 12:11 PM
ttt

Chris Hart
11-17-2003, 12:19 PM
Now the talk is starting to liven up, only 5 more days.

Phil C
11-17-2003, 12:32 PM
It could be close. Any team that could beat Rice C and then Cuero the next week is tough. Burnet should win but they will have to be ready.

LogieJoeBean001
11-17-2003, 04:01 PM
Both teams are going to have to be ready, dead dog ready! Which ever team comes out and really plays with all of their heart will come out on top. It's anyones' game!

Sinton94
11-17-2003, 04:30 PM
I saw the match up last year as well and saw a Wharton team that gave up! By the looks of some of these forums......some Burnet fans may be getting a little too cocky! I predict a Burnet win as well, but not a blow out if Wharton plays up to their potential.
What time is the game anyway?

pirate4state
11-17-2003, 04:32 PM
Sinton94 the game is @ 6p.m. Saturday in Victoria.

olddawggreen
11-17-2003, 07:45 PM
BHS#1:
But if it's a close game you are not going to see Burnet's second team. Does anyone remember the game's last year that Burnet First Team played all the way thru?Yes, Sinton and Everman.

29east
11-17-2003, 10:48 PM
Burnet by at leat 30!!!!! Like I said yesterday way to many weapons on offense.

To my fellow Burnet faithful... Is HWY 183, out of Austin, the best route to Victoria?

29x281
11-17-2003, 11:09 PM
Internet Myth #117: You can get an accurate read on a team's attitude by reading what their fans say on the internet.

The players from Burnet (not the internet fans)have great respect for the athleticism of Wharton. They've watched film.

My feeling is that they're excited to finally be playing real competition in games that actually count for something. They'll be sharper than we've yet seen.

olddawggreen
11-17-2003, 11:10 PM
29east:
Burnet by at leat 30!!!!! Like I said yesterday way to many weapons on offense.

To my fellow Burnet faithful... Is HWY 183, out of Austin, the best route to Victoria?Yes, go through Lockhart, Luling, Gonzales to Cuero then left to Victoria.

dawgdad
11-17-2003, 11:11 PM
Wharton has some really,really big dudes on the d-line and o-line,but size cannot match up to speed and skill. Burnet has too many weapons to rely on.

whtfbplaya
11-18-2003, 11:01 PM
ttt

spaniard
11-19-2003, 01:42 AM
ok, heres how i see this whole thing

i vaguely (sp?) remember some talk last year about how awesome wharton's athletes were and how much of a surprise burnet was going to get when they played wharton. i remember many wharton fans on here warning burnet fans that we would just get blown away by the athletes that wharton had. i agree that wharton has some great athletes, dont get me wrong in that respect, but i think it will be the same old story this year again, wharton will start out strong and after about the first quarter the burnet defense will have a hold on the wharton offense, and the burnet offense will either have established and be following its game plan, or be very close to it. this is meant with no disrespect to wharton or anyone from wharton, its just what i see happening, and if burnet loses, then youll see me with a sign begging for crow, plain and dry so i can get the full experience of it all.

my prediction for the game will be

wharton- 14
burnet- 48

whtfbplaya
11-19-2003, 04:40 AM
21 47

GreatBigBurnetFan
11-19-2003, 02:46 PM
If Burnet plays their usual game then some on here will NEVER give Burnet credit. All you will hear is "Wharton didn't play their game". At no
time will Burnet be given the credit they deserve.
Regards,
GreatBigBurnetFan

Soleus
11-19-2003, 03:24 PM
LogieJoeBean001:
You THINK Wharton was embarrassed last year. You bet! Perhaps this painful memory will put some fire into Wharton. It was an extremely painful game to watch. Hoping for a much better game than last year. I'm not going to make any predictions and just let the story unfold on the football field.Sure Wharton was embarrassed. But not because Burnet beat them. It's because they beat themselves. They fumbled on the goal line and a number of other mistakes. If (and yes I said if, I don't want to hear all the "if's, and's, or but's" crap) Wharton didn't make all those mistakes, it would have been a lot closer game.

whrtntig1
11-19-2003, 03:49 PM
Amen to that. Our boys are quite aware of the fact they gave up last year. That's what has pulled this team together the last two weeks. They want to show they can play with the big "boys" and get the respect they lost last year after that game.No matter what is said about our tigers, they make me proud!

olddog73
11-19-2003, 04:06 PM
Soleus:

LogieJoeBean001:
You THINK Wharton was embarrassed last year. You bet! Perhaps this painful memory will put some fire into Wharton. It was an extremely painful game to watch. Hoping for a much better game than last year. I'm not going to make any predictions and just let the story unfold on the football field.Sure Wharton was embarrassed. But not because Burnet beat them. It's because they beat themselves. They fumbled on the goal line and a number of other mistakes. If (and yes I said if, I don't want to hear all the "if's, and's, or but's" crap) Wharton didn't make all those mistakes, it would have been a lot closer game.As they say, IF A FROG HAD WINGS......... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

olddog73
11-19-2003, 04:08 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by whrtntig1:
<strong>Amen to that. Our boys are quite aware of the fact they gave up last year. That's what has pulled this team together the last two weeks. They want to show they can play with the big "boys" and get the respect they lost last year after that game.No matter what is said about our tigers, they make me proud!</strong>[/QUOTE

They gave up because they had been beaten, they made mistakes because they had been shaken and over powered by a team they probably took for granted.

olddog73
11-19-2003, 05:44 PM
:D

bulldogman
11-19-2003, 06:13 PM
Nothing from last years game will make a difference. I just wonder if the scores are similiar if some people from Wharton will give Burnet their due. I personally believe that Wharton has many great athletes and the skills to play a much better game. But they must have a different game plan than last year. If they don't slow the game down it will be a long, long day.

dawg03
11-19-2003, 06:30 PM
It will be a good game, but I think Burnet will come out on top! :D eek! :D eek!

Hot Rod
11-19-2003, 07:41 PM
i have spent the week talking to those who have seen both teams play and the best i can gather is wharton is not as good as they where and burnet is better so unless wharton has some backup plan i dont see how they can pull off an upset

olddog73
11-19-2003, 10:22 PM
:D :D

raider red 2000
11-20-2003, 08:11 AM
i have spent the week talking to those who have seen both teams play and the best i can gather is wharton is not as good as they where and burnet is better so unless wharton has some backup plan i dont see how they can pull off an upset

i ind of agree with this....how will the wharton kids react? like last year with supposed team leaders like heard not playing much....they are yooung men, but i am not sure how or why someone that big and tallented was not in there more...was he scared of the bulldogs?

raider red 2000
11-20-2003, 08:14 AM
sorry...that top part of my last post was supposed to be a quote

olddog73
11-20-2003, 06:56 PM
:)

playa 3
11-20-2003, 07:19 PM
All the insight from other people isn't going to matter. Everyone has this image of Burnet that they are untouchable. Not this year!! Wharton is going to spoil the Burnet party Satruday night.

olddog73
11-21-2003, 12:28 AM
eek! eek! eek! eek!

29east
11-21-2003, 12:36 AM
It's not a party Playa.... Its'a a reckoning!!!!!

playa 3
11-21-2003, 12:02 PM
29east, this will be a great game, and the Tigers are going o get some revenge for getting blown out lat year.

Bandera YaYa
11-21-2003, 12:51 PM
Hey, I say why don't you both just take all this hostility to the game tomorrow and put it to good use there....because anything can happen and it doesn't matter one bit what took place last year...all this silly banter, back and forth, although quite entertaining, just doesn't prove anything......the questions will be answered on the playing field, THEN you can both get back on here and have some facts to throw at each other, instead of this "what if and we did this" stuff!! :D
Good luck and hope you both play your best!!

playa 3
11-21-2003, 02:20 PM
Everyone knows that what is said on these forums doesn't effect the game one bit. It is interesting and entertaining for the fans to have something to say about the game and their teams.

afflac65
11-21-2003, 02:39 PM
hey everybody listen it is time to separate the pretenders from the contenders their is only 4 special teams in 3a football this year and they are #1 burnett #2marlin #3 rice consolidated # gainesville.

wharton beat rice consolidated due to rice drop pass in the endzone. wharton is a good team but not a special team and the longer you play this season the true team comes out. burnett will win by 28 points due be 2 notches above wharton in class......

whrtntig1
11-21-2003, 02:49 PM
Wharton 23-Rice 18

whtfbplaya
11-21-2003, 02:56 PM
afflac65:
hey everybody listen it is time to separate the pretenders from the contenders their is only 4 special teams in 3a football this year and they are #1 burnett #2marlin #3 rice consolidated # gainesville.

wharton beat rice consolidated due to rice drop pass in the endzone. wharton is a good team but not a special team and the longer you play this season the true team comes out. burnett will win by 28 points due be 2 notches above wharton in class......This is just down right halarious sp
Wharton made a ton of mistakes in the game and still won oh and wharton droped 2 td passes get over it you lost.