PDA

View Full Version : I don't know what to name this thread

lostaussie
10-05-2014, 07:44 PM
But......Gilmer is good.....real good. But, there are lots of folks on the outside and maybe one or two on the inside, that think we already have rings ordered. Those of us that follow ball, somewhere other than Upshur County know its not that easy. So, please, pay no attention to the trolls. When you get in its hard.....no matter how good you are......signed Class of 2006

bobcat1
10-05-2014, 07:51 PM
Name it scared of the "Brownwood" hype. LOL

lostaussie
10-05-2014, 07:59 PM
Name it scared of the "Brownwood" hype. LOLBrownwood, Gilmer, Decatur.......call it what you want. Until you prove it, it really just don't matter

waterboy
10-06-2014, 07:55 AM
Yes, the Buckeyes are good. I can state the obvious. "Great"? Not yet. I definitely like this team's chances, but there are still a bunch of good teams out there. It's way premature to say anything other than the Buckeyes are good.

buckeyebob
10-06-2014, 01:07 PM
Yes, the Buckeyes are good. I can state the obvious. "Great"? Not yet. I definitely like this team's chances, but there are still a bunch of good teams out there. It's way premature to say anything other than the Buckeyes are good.

Being premature has always been a problem of mine...or was it immature...same thing

waterboy
10-06-2014, 01:19 PM
Being premature has always been a problem of mine...or was it immature...same thing

Okay, Bob... They are two different words, but one can lead to another. Sometimes being premature is immature, i.e. Gilmer '06, Brownwood '10 (I think), etc.

It's okay, though. We can all be that way sometimes...;)

bobcat1
10-06-2014, 01:55 PM
Aww come on fellas, let 'em swang like Rocket did in 2010.

waterboy
10-06-2014, 01:59 PM
Aww come on fellas, let 'em swang like Rocket did in 2010.

Case in point...:D

We definitely know better after what happened in '06, and Brownwood in '10 (that was the year, right?). ANYBODY can be beat on any given night or day, I don't care who you are, or how good you are.

Txbroadcaster
10-06-2014, 02:19 PM
But......Gilmer is good.....real good. But, there are lots of folks on the outside and maybe one or two on the inside, that think we already have rings ordered. Those of us that follow ball, somewhere other than Upshur County know its not that easy. So, please, pay no attention to the trolls. When you get in its hard.....no matter how good you are......signed Class of 2006

Let's be fair..the 06 team gets a bad rap..people act like they were beat by a 5-5 team who came out of nowhere.

bobcat1
10-06-2014, 02:31 PM
Let's be fair..the 06 team gets a bad rap..people act like they were beat by a 5-5 team who came out of nowhere. Ah yes Liberty-Eylau

lostaussie
10-06-2014, 02:32 PM
But it was still a crushing defeat.......albeit to a fine LE team. Took a while too live that down.......if we have.

bobcat1
10-06-2014, 02:37 PM
For your viewing pleasure. Gilmer fought to the last play, that's for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLEZPrK5ncE

waterboy
10-06-2014, 03:04 PM
Let's be fair..the 06 team gets a bad rap..people act like they were beat by a 5-5 team who came out of nowhere.

Yes, they do, and it was against a L-E team with a record of 7-3 team that struggled early. Gilmer had a very good team that year, and I wasn't one of those that was sold on them being state champions. From what I understand, some people on here thought they were a shoo-in that year. I wasn't on the downlow then so I don't know what was said, but I definitely heard about it the following year when I joined. For as good as that '06 team was offensively, their defense was porous. I told my wife when we left the Daingerfield game ( a game we won there 62-42, the 2nd or 3rd game that season) that we would not live up to expectations if we didn't find a defense. I was totally frustrated with our Buckeyes even though we won. I told my brother on the way to the Liberty-Eylau game that if the Leopards (or anybody else for that matter) held us under 40 points we would be in trouble. Sure enough, Liberty-Eylau brings Will Middlebrooks, LaMichael James, and company and pull what most of the state considered a major upset. We couldn't stop them when we needed to, and having the two second half turnovers doomed us.

Just a note, though. Liberty-Eylau hasn't beaten us again since that game in '06.

Txbroadcaster
10-06-2014, 03:12 PM
It was only considered a major upset because people forgot LE was a pre season top 5 team( some had them at 2)...who then lose Middlebroks and James to multiple games because of injuries during season.

waterboy
10-06-2014, 03:24 PM
It was only considered a major upset because people forgot LE was a pre season top 5 team( some had them at 2)...who then lose Middlebroks and James to multiple games because of injuries during season.

True. I was warned about Liberty-Eylau early that season. My brother-in-law was a coach on the staff of one of the teams that beat them early that year, Mt. Pleasant. He told me they would give Gilmer all they want and then some. I still think we could've pulled it out, but mistakes killed us, and you can't do that against good teams and expect to win. Another minute in that game I think we would've won despite the mistakes. Liberty-Eylau earned the title that year.