PDA

View Full Version : Assistant Coaches

OLE'BULL
09-30-2014, 10:52 AM
I have always wondered how much value assistant coaches provide as far as knowledge and responsibility on the Varsity level. Bellville, at one time, had extremely strong assistant coaches. That was 10ish years ago when I was around and playing for them. I just dont have any exposure to them anymore so I am not saying we have poor ones now, I have no clue thats why I am asking. I have only spoken to one and he was VERY knowledgeable and enthusiastic. Just curious as to what others think of their assistant coaching staff?

I know that Bellvilles Coach Rowe entrusts the Offensive Coordinator to make all the play calls and Rowe runs the D, which BTW has been lights out.

duckhunter
09-30-2014, 12:44 PM
I have always wondered how much value assistant coaches provide as far as knowledge and responsibility on the Varsity level. Bellville, at one time, had extremely strong assistant coaches. That was 10ish years ago when I was around and playing for them. I just dont have any exposure to them anymore so I am not saying we have poor ones now, I have no clue thats why I am asking. I have only spoken to one and he was VERY knowledgeable and enthusiastic. Just curious as to what others think of their assistant coaching staff?

I know that Bellvilles Coach Rowe entrusts the Offensive Coordinator to make all the play calls and Rowe runs the D, which BTW has been lights out.

depends on the coaching staff/ as well as the head coach......some assistants are very hands on, and then some aren't. Some assistants want to be more hands on and some head coaches wont let them. Some varsity coaches look down on some of the other coaches for whatever the reason(s) may be......

Their is no cut and dry answer to your question.

Most 4a's IMO the Head Coach and the OC/DC's are the one's calling the shots practice and games wise. Which could be a good thing or a bad thing.

caleb_mccaig
09-30-2014, 12:55 PM
I agree....I think it depends on a team to team basis, but I know when I played on varsity in 06-08 we went to the playoffs three times, including the State Championship in 07 and the third round in D-1 in 08, and as far as I know most of the assistant coaches who were at CS at that time are now gone. Since then CS hasn't been able to make it out of the first or second round I don't think and some years haven't even made the post-season.

It's obviously a mixture of coaches and what kind of athletes there are.....having too much of one i think will only get you so far. There has to be some kind of balance.

Rabid Cougar
09-30-2014, 02:02 PM
I agree....I think it depends on a team to team basis, but I know when I played on varsity in 06-08 we went to the playoffs three times, including the State Championship in 07 and the third round in D-1 in 08, and as far as I know most of the assistant coaches who were at CS at that time are now gone. Since then CS hasn't been able to make it out of the first or second round I don't think and some years haven't even made the post-season.

It's obviously a mixture of coaches and what kind of athletes there are.....having too much of one i think will only get you so far. There has to be some kind of balance.

Four are left. G, Stone, Bray and Keeton. Burnam was still there last year but is now OC at University . Cranfill is at West Magnolia with Shawn.

maestro
09-30-2014, 02:03 PM
I think that most successful teams, ones that are in the hunt for district championships, have assistant coaches that are very knowledgeable in their position assignments, if not necessarily the running of the offense or defense.

Long time supporters of El Campo might recall the offensive line coach ( his name escapes me ) who taught on the staffs of many athletic directors while there. El Campo linemen were always well coached.

Same with the Sweeny Bulldogs. At one time Wharton had an assistant coach that you could fit in your front pocket( haha) that ran the spread offense from the press box very effectively.
In all of theses cases, I believe the athletic director welcomed their expertise .
Lastly, the most dangerous staffs are the ones that have 3-4 former head coaches putting their experiences together. Scoop is probably thinking East Bernard in this case.

OLE'BULL
10-01-2014, 06:09 AM
Well I feel better. Bellvilles Offensive Coordinator is up for the Dave Cambells Assistant Coach of the week. If you can find it in your heart, go vote for him!