PDA

View Full Version : Region 2 Week 6 GOTW: Hardin Jefferson vs Tatum

WOS1
09-28-2014, 10:09 AM
Not much being said about this game, but should be. The Hawks are no joke and are proving that last years 3 round playoff run was no fluke. They are 5-0, big, very physical and play stingy defense. They run right at you and wear you out. Don't be surprised if Tatum takes another one on the chin this week. You have been warned.

Sweetwater Red
09-28-2014, 10:29 AM
I agree and FWIW - prep has Tatum favored by 4

AggiesAreWe
09-28-2014, 10:30 AM
Plenty of talk, just not here. ;)

Give me HJ, 28-25.

regaleagle
09-28-2014, 11:30 AM
Can somebody post the schedules both of these teams have played so far and the records of their opponents? And the scores of each game.

Pudlugger
09-28-2014, 12:57 PM
Hardin Jefferson by 14.

AggiesAreWe
09-28-2014, 01:05 PM
Can somebody post the schedules both of these teams have played so far and the records of their opponents? And the scores of each game.

Hardin-Jefferson (5-0)

Aug. 29 - at Jasper, 35-21

Sept. 5 - at Beaumont Kelly, 44-0

Sept. 12 - Kountze, 49-28

Sept. 19 - Little Cypress-Mauriceville, 27-7

Sept. 26 - Center, 49-18

Tatum (2-2)

Newton 39-7 W
Gilmer 41-35 L
Liberty-Eylau 41-14 W
Chapel Hill 42-39 L

lostaussie
09-29-2014, 09:24 AM
This game in Tatum? Need something to go see this weekend

Eagleborn
09-29-2014, 10:44 AM
Yes. Homecoming at Eagle Stadium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chillfan
09-29-2014, 12:55 PM
Tatum!

movethechain
09-29-2014, 01:33 PM
Not much being said about this game, but should be. The Hawks are no joke and are proving that last years 3 round playoff run was no fluke. They are 5-0, big, very physical and play stingy defense. They run right at you and wear you out. Don't be surprised if Tatum takes another one on the chin this week. You have been warned.

Sounds like just what Tatum needs to get ready for Gladewater next week. Hope they don't get caught looking ahead.

cowboyandchrist
09-29-2014, 04:59 PM
Sounds like just what Tatum needs to get ready for Gladewater next week. Hope they don't get caught looking ahead.

I don't think they have a right to look ahead, they were clearly the better team against CH, but got beat. HJ sounds like the real deal and will be hard to beat. If I know coach Evans, he will have the Eagles ready to play. I will take the Eagles by 1.

HEMOTOXIC
09-29-2014, 05:07 PM
Hmm, this will tell me more about HJ.

AggiesAreWe
09-29-2014, 07:00 PM
Hmm, this will tell me more about HJ.

I agree. I am sticking with HJ getting the win over Tatum.

WOS1
09-29-2014, 09:21 PM
If they look ahead they will get smoked for sure. Might get smoked even with eyes fixed upon them.

WOS87
09-29-2014, 09:57 PM
WOS 46
HJ 6

They have yet to prove themselves other than the playoff run last year where they were demolished by Fairfield 14-57. They let a very down Jasper team score 21 and a 3A Kountze score 28. Have they really improved THAT much this year? I'll wait and see. Definitely think they'll finish top 2 or 3 in the district though. That's all.

Eagleborn
09-30-2014, 10:31 AM
If they look ahead they will get smoked for sure. Might get smoked even with eyes fixed upon them.

And they might not get smoked.

This is HJs first test this season against a good team.

They will be in a battle no doubt. Not have Tilley will hurt them some.

Chillfan
09-30-2014, 10:56 AM
I don't think they have a right to look ahead, they were clearly the better team against CH, but got beat.

C'mon man are you serious? Clearly? Thats funny right there. We must have went to different games.

HEMOTOXIC
09-30-2014, 01:58 PM
WOS 46
HJ 6

They have yet to prove themselves other than the playoff run last year where they were demolished by Fairfield 14-57. They let a very down Jasper team score 21 and a 3A Kountze score 28. Have they really improved THAT much this year? I'll wait and see. Definitely think they'll finish top 2 or 3 in the district though. That's all.

I have to agree with your assessment. However, many people shared these similar concerns with Fairfield last year.

2012 Navasota 41- Fairfield 7
2013 Fairfield 44- Navasota 24

Eagle8
09-30-2014, 08:20 PM
Their offense is awesome, defense will have a hard time containing us though. Could be a shoot out.

WOS87
09-30-2014, 08:46 PM
I have to agree with your assessment. However, many people shared these similar concerns with Fairfield last year.

2012 Navasota 41- Fairfield 7
2013 Fairfield 44- Navasota 24

They're no 2013 Fairfield so far this year sorry....

Hardin-Jefferson

Beat (2-3) Jasper 35-21 (who lost to WOS 34-7)
Beat (3-2) Private Beaumont Kelly 44-0 (who lost to Orangefield 56-7)
Beat (0-4) (3A) Kountze 49-28 enough said
Beat (2-3) LCM 27-7 which I think is their best win so far
Beat (2-2) Center 49-18 eh... good win

I have nothing against the Hawks... I'm originally from SE Texas... I want them to do well. Just not sold on them quite yet as they haven't played any big boys and won in quite a long time. This game should show something, the Orangefield game should too and the WOS game will definitely show something on Halloween.

WOS1
09-30-2014, 08:59 PM
They're no 2013 Fairfield so far this year sorry....

Hardin-Jefferson

Beat (2-3) Jasper 35-21 (who lost to WOS 34-7)
Beat (3-2) Private Beaumont Kelly 44-0 (who lost to Orangefield 56-7)
Beat (0-4) (3A) Kountze 49-28 enough said
Beat (2-3) LCM 27-7 which I think is their best win so far
Beat (2-2) Center 49-18 eh... good win

I have nothing against the Hawks... I'm originally from SE Texas... I want them to do well. Just not sold on them quite yet as they haven't played any big boys and won in quite a long time. This game should show something, the Orangefield game should too and the WOS game will definitely show something on Halloween.

I'm interested to see how this game ends up as well. I've seen them play and they look pretty good, but they have given up some points. I agree with another post that it could be a shoot out.

Aggie98
09-30-2014, 11:02 PM
I think I've seen somewhere that HJ has a Slot-T offense. I love watching one of those when it's run right. HJ apparently has a very good one. As far as defending it...... there are several different philosophies on that. "Tackle everyone" sounds cool but doesn't really work.

The best way I've seen it handled is to:

1. Give them a long field.... i.e. kick it deep and cover it well.

2. Let them have the dive play. They may get 5, 6, 7 yds a pop with it... But that's ok. If they have to string 10-12 play drives together they will cough it up... several times.

cowboyandchrist
10-02-2014, 11:20 PM
C'mon man are you serious? Clearly? Thats funny right there. We must have went to different games.

Let me see 7 flags thrown when Tatum had CH 3rd and for ever long. Yea they were better, but got winded, ran out of gas and CH did what they had to do to win. The best team don't always win.

Chillfan
10-03-2014, 07:50 AM
Let me see 7 flags thrown when Tatum had CH 3rd and for ever long. Yea they were better, but got winded, ran out of gas and CH did what they had to do to win. The best team don't always win.

lol ok. Always the refs fault. CH had more penalties then Tatum.

Winded? Well i pick tatum to win tonight but not if they get winded.

lostaussie
10-03-2014, 09:09 AM
Let me see 7 flags thrown when Tatum had CH 3rd and for ever long. Yea they were better, but got winded, ran out of gas and CH did what they had to do to win. The best team don't always win.That statement makes you look worse than usual. Don't go banging on the refs. I was surprised as anyone that CH beat y'all.....but jeez get over it.

Eagleborn
10-03-2014, 10:14 AM
That statement makes you look worse than usual. Don't go banging on the refs. I was surprised as anyone that CH beat y'all.....but jeez get over it.

+1.. million

cowboyandchrist
10-03-2014, 06:39 PM
That statement makes you look worse than usual. Don't go banging on the refs. I was surprised as anyone that CH beat y'all.....but jeez get over it.

Don't see anywhere in my statement that blamed the refs. Tatum could have stopped CH many times.

cowboyandchrist
10-03-2014, 07:13 PM
+1.. million

You need to learn to read, you remind me of my x mother in law. Run your mouth without knowing what your talking about.

lostaussie
10-03-2014, 08:19 PM
Let me see 7 flags thrown when Tatum had CH 3rd and for ever long. huh? You funny

cowboyandchrist
10-03-2014, 08:44 PM
huh? You funny

I GUESS you have to explain it in depth to Gilmer fans. Tatum had CH in deep trouble many times on third and long, but they were flagged for late hits, hitting out of bounds, holding, interference, and anything else you can think of. They shot them selves in the foot. Just cut out two flags and Tatum wins. Now you get my meaning I hope. Never blamed the refs for anything. Grow up little man and please explain what I just wrote to your little brother eagleborn.

lostaussie
10-03-2014, 09:39 PM
I GUESS you have to explain it in depth to Gilmer fans. Tatum had CH in deep trouble many times on third and long, but they were flagged for late hits, hitting out of bounds, holding, interference, and anything else you can think of. They shot them selves in the foot. Just cut out two flags and Tatum wins. Now you get my meaning I hope. Never blamed the refs for anything. Grow up little man and please explain what I just wrote to your little brother eagleborn.then evidently Tatum should not have broken the rules quite so many times.....maybe they might have won. I'm not anti-Tatum. Just quit making excuses. Chapel Hill won and that's all there is to it.

cowboyandchrist
10-03-2014, 09:45 PM
then evidently Tatum should not have broken the rules quite so many times.....maybe they might have won. I'm not anti-Tatum. Just quit making excuses. Chapel Hill won and that's all there is to it.

Did not make excuses now did I. Tatum did what they did and I still say they were the better team that got beat. They are getting beat by a better team as we speak.

Eagleborn
10-03-2014, 11:10 PM
You need to learn to read, you remind me of my x mother in law. Run your mouth without knowing what your talking about.

Can not wait to see you cry about tonight's game.

movethechain
10-03-2014, 11:18 PM
Total domination tonite by HJ over Tatum. HJ offense moved the ball up and down the field methodically and pretty much at will. Tatum's offense never seemed to get into gear. HF has 3 big boys on defense and the rest seemed undersized, like Gilmer, but they were all very fast, even compared to Tatum. They cut off the corners that Tatum loves to run to and they stuffed the middle. Tatum had a couple of nice runs on misdirection handoffs, but that was too little to make up for the advantage that HJ steadily held throughout the game. The final score sure doesn't reflect how lopsided the game was in HJ's favor. Before tonite, I gave Tatum an even or better chance against Gladewater next week. Now, I see no way Tatum can stop Gladewater and they can only hope Gladewater turns the ball over 3-4 times and shoots themselves in the paws with penalties.

Aggie98
10-03-2014, 11:33 PM
Total domination tonite by HJ over Tatum. HJ offense moved the ball up and down the field methodically and pretty much at will. Tatum's offense never seemed to get into gear. HF has 3 big boys on defense and the rest seemed undersized, like Gilmer, but they were all very fast, even compared to Tatum. They cut off the corners that Tatum loves to run to and they stuffed the middle. Tatum had a couple of nice runs on misdirection handoffs, but that was too little to make up for the advantage that HJ steadily held throughout the game. The final score sure doesn't reflect how lopsided the game was in HJ's favor. Before tonite, I gave Tatum an even or better chance against Gladewater next week. Now, I see no way Tatum can stop Gladewater and they can only hope Gladewater turns the ball over 3-4 times and shoots themselves in the paws with penalties.

I agree. Based on tonight's game, Gladewater will overwhelm Tatum in the trenches.

cowboyandchrist
10-04-2014, 07:38 AM

You are right on everything you said except you left out the O line for HJ was very big and can flat out block. They pushed Tatum off the ball all night and that full back can run the ball and take a hit. Very good football team that everybody that plays them will find out.

AggiesAreWe
10-04-2014, 09:27 AM
HJ is for real!! Knew they would get Tatum.

Interesting match up next week with HJ and Orangefield.

Aesculus gilmus
10-04-2014, 10:22 AM
I agree. Based on tonight's game, Gladewater will overwhelm Tatum in the trenches.

Atlanta is probably going to beat both of those teams.

To anyone who was at this game: Do you think HJ could beat Gilmer? It sounds like perhaps they could on a good night.

Pudlugger
10-04-2014, 10:25 AM
HJ just made themselves the team to beat in 4A DII R3.

movethechain
10-04-2014, 11:08 AM

To anyone who was at this game: Do you think HJ could beat Gilmer? It sounds like perhaps they could on a good night.

Possible, yes. Tatum offense was all out of sorts last night and not just because HJ defense was very good. They just never clicked and looked nothing like their previous games would have you expecting. It is shocking that Tatum was close at the end by the score. HJ just did enough to win and that was enough. I would expect a higher scoring game between Gilmer and HJ, but like the game last night, you just never know. It would be a good matchup of different styles. The game I would like to see would be Gladewater vs HJ.

cowboyandchrist
10-04-2014, 12:31 PM

I don't think they could beat Gilmer unless they turn the ball over. Gilmer can score in the blink of an eye. It would be two different types of offenses going against two different defenses. Would be a good ball game, but Gilmer does not make many mistakes. Last night HJ played a near perfect game, ground and pound and the defense was hard to run on. Gilmer throws the ball pretty darn good and you never know if it is run or pass.

buckeyebob
10-04-2014, 01:30 PM
I GUESS you have to explain it in depth to Gilmer fans. Tatum had CH in deep trouble many times on third and long, but they were flagged for late hits, hitting out of bounds, holding, interference, and anything else you can think of. They shot them selves in the foot. Just cut out two flags and Tatum wins. Now you get my meaning I hope. Never blamed the refs for anything. Grow up little man and please explain what I just wrote to your little brother eagleborn.

mmmmmm...sounds familiar