PDA

View Full Version : SE Texas vs. Louisiana

QBKilla
02-15-2003, 01:59 PM
It just came out in the Baytown Sun last week, that in place of the Texas/California All-Star Game there will be a SE Texas/Louisiana All-Star Game. It will be played in Baytown's Stalworth Stadium and will consist of the premier players from all classifications in SE Texas against Louisiana's finest. It is to be played on June 21st. It should be a good one.

VWG
02-15-2003, 02:26 PM
Another great game that has been played for years and years is the Oil Bowl in Wichita Falls, TX.
It is Texas All-Stars vs. Oklahoma All-Stars and there is always some good talent on both sides of the field. A lot of people from Texas underestimate the talent pool from places like Ada, Moore, Lawton, Union High School(Tulsa), and other powerhouse Oklahoma schools.
I also think that some of these all star games have been tarnished by top recruits being told to sit out due to the injury factor.

Jacket2000
02-15-2003, 10:16 PM
The problem with all the all-star games is that most states only have one, while Texas has many. So, the Texas talent is deluted while the other states are at full strength. But, I guess it's Texas Spirit to take on all comers.
J2K

Phil C
02-16-2003, 09:11 PM
Jacket is right. I remember in the 1960s the Texas all Stars were playing Oklahoma all stars at the same time and also we sent some second stringers so to speak (our key star Texas players played in the OK - TX game)to an all star game against Pennsylvania and I think we lost by 6 - 0. Penn was proud because they had I think about five all star games against all stars from other states and had won 3 times to 2 ties and bragged on beating Texas and didn't buy the fact most of the star players played against OK. Anyway the next year the games was changed so it didn't conflict with the OK game and with Bill Bradley of Palestine leading the Texans we completely whipped Penn by a score of 27 to 10 I think. The next year Texas beat Penn I think by 34 to 2. The following year Penn wanted to even the series but the Texans won again in a one sided game. After that the game was quietly dropped. :)