PDA

View Full Version : The Marlin Syndrome or Coach Malone Syndrome?

wjkamp85
06-10-2003, 03:57 PM
I have been a fan of the Marlin football team for some time now. Untill just recently, I believed that Coach Malone had the team headed in the right directions. Yes, there have been times that my team has fallen completely on our faces, but I believed in them, and the direction that Coach M. was taking us.
However, It has come to my attention; as well as, many other fans of the Marlin Bulldogs' that Coach M. is not the coach for us. I have heard through my sources that the offensive cordinator has been reassigned as the o-line coach. The old offensive cordinator is brilliant young coach, who has a great future in front of him. How can you explain this move, to a lower coaching position, when they had one of the best O's in 3A last year. If you have watched the games you would see when Coach M. would take controle of the offense. This is when you would start to see all the trick plays come out ie.( double option pitch to the week side in a playoff game. What a joke.) Does he understand anything about how to run an offense? He should also understand that developing an offensive skim does not happen over night. Going to a bunch of clincs is not going to help him any.
So I have come to an educated conclusion. There is no Marlin Syndrome as some would think on this board, but a Coach Malone Syndrome.
Coach Malone it is time for you to take a seat and allow a real coach to take over the program. Changing jobs ie.( El Campo, that you applied for, but they would not give you the time of day. so you pulled your name out to save face.) will not help you in the least. The game has passed you by. Time to head out to the pasture.
By not using your resources, ( your young coaching staff) you have lost a real opportunity to be a great coach.

Chopblock
06-10-2003, 04:12 PM
Whos is he bringing in as O Coordinator?
If it is a new one coming in from Conroe, he is a good one

Jacket2000
06-10-2003, 06:25 PM
Guess the old saying is true:"No matter how good you are, there's always a few hundred people who can do it better. Just no one can get'em to put down their popcorn and come outta the stands".
Luckily, one of the perks of being a head coach is that you get to call the shots and don't have to answer to the "bleacher coaches". So, my suggestion to you is to get yourself some popcorn, have a seat in the stands, watch the game, have a coke and a smile and shut the hell up! Or,if you feel you can do a better job, then go get a degree, get certified to teach, be an assisstant coach for 10 years or so, work 80 hour weeks for three to four months outta the year, and then apply for a head coaching job.
FYI, we do not tolerate the bashing of coaching on the 3a Down Low(especially when they're not here to defend themselves). So, another post of this nature will result in you being banned. Have a nice day.
J2K

PPHSfan
06-10-2003, 07:52 PM
What is an offensive skim? :D

cunbed10
06-11-2003, 08:42 AM
I think that coach Malone is a gambler at heart like myself, I don't think there is a bigger bulldog fan than myself, and a former bulldog also; Over the years we've had state championship caliber teams that for whatever reason didn't get the job done be it either coach or player we just didn't get it done, beware this young group of men for the 2003-2004 football season has put in some work and their hungry, now to win a state championship your have to have will,determination,discipline, and injury free kids barring all the above we should have another shot at a state title, but as we bulldogs fans know it's not going to be easy, because Marlin is not the only team with this so call syndrome everyone has the same aspirations, so to the 3A Downlow family keep an eye on the Marlin Bulldogs, it will be a very interestin season first five games are probably the toughest preseason games in 3A Waco University 4A, Waco Midway 4A, Mart 2A, Ennis 4A, and last but definitely not least Div 1 Runner-up Burnett 3A powerhouse, so keep and eye on ole Marlin High, and if you get a chance to see the team play please come and join us you won't be disappointed, could be history in the making.

shellman54
06-11-2003, 08:52 AM
believe it or not, coaching is one of the most difficult things to be able to do and to do well. did some intern coaching at my old school about 4 years ago, and although you try not to, you hear the parents in the background, telling you what you need to do, and what you are doing wrong, and it does weigh on your mind a little. it is a lot different coaching a middle school team, because your first goal is to make sure everyone plays, unlike varsity sports. however, you still have to balance that with trying to win, because if you don't win, then you lose the interest of your kids. i admire any coach who is willing to spend those extra 6 or 7 hours after practice looking at game film, working on a strategy, trying to make his team better.

Amos Moses
06-11-2003, 06:41 PM
wjKamp85
You sound like the O coor. that got reassigned.
What qualifcation do you need to be a good young coach. In my book the Head Man (head coach) makes the calls when he feels like it.You work for him!!!!!!!!!!! I think young coaches think they know everything and actually know very little.For all of you that don't understand the situtation in Marlin you need not comment.Take a look back at Marlin 10 years ago when they had way more talent and couldn't win 5 games. Malone has done a great job there. Talk to any coach that has won a championship they will tell it takes good athletics,stay injury free,and have a little luck. Half of the coaches on this board including(wjKamp85) couldn't walk in his shoes for a day.So wjKamp if your the O coor. pack your bags and get the HELL Out, we don't need you.The last thing I have to say "I bet you anything, you won't say what you have wrote to Malone's face".You are on here trying to stir the pot.

VWG
06-11-2003, 10:52 PM
Coaches are always gonna be criticized, and also praised for winning or losing. That's part of their job, although unfortunate. I agree that the coaching profession is a very demanding profession as far as time, dedication, etc....
If you were to take a poll of head coaches across the state, and look at the average "lifespan" of a head coach at one school it would probably be less than 5 years.
I will say this, if a guy has the talent to put together a strong run throughout the season, and if it is evident that a lack of preparation and/or logical coaching moves prevent that team from advancing.... then anybody has the right to be disgruntled. Usually the school board will also see to it that this type of failure doesn't happen too often and too long. One or two bad seasons with talented players shouldn't give the right to hang a guy, but consistent failure will usually cause a change at the top.

Amos Moses
06-11-2003, 11:37 PM
Explain consistent failure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Malone has lost one district game in SIX years.He's been the AD for the past 10 years and they have done nothing but get better each year.There's not a handful of coaches that could get what he gets out of those kids.As far as work no one studies as much film as he does.If you want to know anything about Malone just talk to the coaches that have to play him year in and year out.If I figured this right Malone is 54-20 in the last six years.I believe Marlin has made the playoffs 7 out of the last 10 years.wjKamp85 is either the OC or his a friend of the OC. Doesn't matter he has a mouth full of sour grapes because he couldn't cut it.He gave some offensive stats, hell Marlin offense has been tought to stop the past six years.His stats won't make the top 4 the past six years.OC PACK YOUR BAGS!!!!!!!!!GET OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!FIND ANOTHER JOB YOUR GOD'S GIFT TO COACHING!!!!!!!!!!

MARLINFAN
06-12-2003, 01:21 PM
Well to me the only decision that i could understand was in the last 2 minutes of the bellville game he told the offensive cordinator to take out his starting quarterback and move the rb/ob to qb. you probaly dont understand but the running back # 4 that was in the game is the second string qb. the offensive cordinator told him no that he would do it and coach malone got mad.other than that coach malone is a great coach and even great coaches make mistakes.

theirs rumors going around on this board that marlin will have a soph starting at qb its false. # 4 wrighter will star at qb. he will be a senior this year