PDA

View Full Version : Brazsoport-Calhoun preview game story

Scoop27
09-25-2014, 11:28 AM
By BUTCH McREYNOLDS sports@thefacts.com

FREEPORT — When Brazosport travels Friday to face the Calhoun Sandcrabs for a 7:30 p.m. kickoff, there will more feet on the ground and fewer aerial bombs.

At least that is the way it looks on paper.

Brazosport goes into the nondistrict tilt having completed a total of eight passes in 12 attempts, good for 82 yards, during its 1-3 start to the season. Junior quarterback Na’vonte Darthard was 4-for-5 for 38 yards in last week’s 42-21 home loss to La Marque.

While the passing game has yet to take off for the Ships, it’s prolific compared to the Sandcrabs, who have completed one of two attempts for a 52-yard touchdown in four games. Calhoun (2-2) rallied from behind to win at Cuero last week, scoring a late touchdown to pull out an exciting 21-17 victory.

What Calhoun does well is run the ball, averaging more than 450 yards per game thanks to a well-balanced running attack. Better news for the Exporters, however, is that the Sandcrabs have been giving up 481 yards of offense per game to their opening four opponents.

Brazosport is on a three-game losing streak, but coach Rudolph remains optimistic when it comes to the upcoming bout.

“I have to hand it to our kids,” he said. “Our practices have been very upbeat this week. In fact, the last three practice days have been as good as we have had since I have been here. The kids are wanting to learn and get better, and I think we will.”

Despite the drubbing to La Marque, Rudolph said he thought the Exporters made strides in the right direction.

“Our defense kind of stubbed its toe Friday night, and that is not a good thing to do when you are playing a team as good as La Marque,” Rudolph said. “Still, I liked the way our defense hung in there and played hard and they made them earn every yard.”

Offensively, the Exporters held their own, at least on several drives.

“I thought our offensive line did a good job against La Marque,” he said. “La Marque has an outstanding defense, especially their defensive line. But our offensive line held its own most of the game. We just need to be consistent.”

After an opening-game, overtime victory over Fort Bend Willowridge, the Exporters have lost to Sweeny, Baytown Sterling and La Marque.

“We have had a pretty tough schedule, and it will not get any easier in Port Lavaca Friday night,” Rudolph said. “This is our last nondistrict game, so we want to continue to work on things like holding on to the football and cut down on our mental mistakes. We want to go into our first district game (Columbia at Hopper Field) with some confidence that we can compete. I think these kids will continue to battle.”

Calhoun will certainly be another tough test for the Exporters.

“We need to cut out most of our mistakes, both mental and physical; that would be a good start,” Rudolph said. “Calhoun probably has the best offensive line we will see this year, so our defense has to be ready to get after it.”

The Sandcrabs run a different kind of spread offense. Instead of throwing passes all over the field, Calhoun has a stable of runners and a system that can give any defense fits. Backs JC Garcia (32-916 yards, 28.63 per carry, five TDs), quarterback Raheem Jones (80-506 yards, 6.33 per carry, five TDs) and Mark Camacho (51-348 yards, 6.82 per carry, seven TDs) all complement each other in the flex offense.

“Their quarterback runs their offense so well,” Rudolph says. “And they have other runners who can flat scamper down the field.”

Calhoun, which has victories over Somerset (60-14) and Cuero, also has losses to LaVernia (35-7) and Corpus Christi Carroll (58-55).

Brazosport hopes to counter with a solid bunch of runners of its own. Darthard has amassed 257 yards on the ground in four games, while two other juniors, Jeremiah Credit and Nathan Lewis, are close behind.

Credit not only has galloped for 187 yards in the first four games, but he has also brought back two kickoffs for touchdowns, including an 88-yarder. Freshman Ameer King teams with Credit to put the pressure on opposing kickoff teams. King has a 90-yard touchdown return to his credit.

“No doubt those two made La Marque change its kicking game a little,” Rudolph said.

This will mark Brazosport’s 23rd meeting with Calhoun, with the Exporters holding a 15-7 advantage