PDA

View Full Version : Region 2 Week 5 GOTW: Carthage (1-3) vs Gilmer (4-0)

buckeyebob
09-21-2014, 07:58 AM
Saturday night, 7PM, Lobo Stadium, Longview

The Gilmer Buckeyes will be Home team to the Carthage Bulldogs Saturday for the KYKX Game of the Week...there are a lot of questions.

Pups seem to be down this year, suffering an embarrassing defeat to the Gladewater Bears this past week. The Buckeyes are poised & ready to continue the education. Coming off a resounding defeat of the Daingerfield Tigers, the 4-0 Bux have the weapons to send the Pups (1-3) back to Rusk county licking their wounds from the thrashing the Bux will put on them.

Does Carthage have the tenacity to hang with the Bux or will they fold, crying like a bunch of Baby Girls. I say that all need to bring the tissues 'cause it will be ugly...the Bux have suffered under the strong arm of the Pups before & it is payback time with a triple dose of Shock & Awe...some say that Sarratt will have 'em ready for District Play...site back & relax Scotty my boy...we will do it for you.

There is always next year pups.

Pudlugger
09-21-2014, 08:09 AM

The Gilmer Buckeyes will be Home team to the Carthage Bulldogs Saturday for the KYKX Game of the Week...there are a lot of questions.

Pups seem to be down this year, suffering an embarrassing defeat to the Gladewater Bears this past week. The Buckeyes are poised & ready to continue the education. Coming off a resounding defeat of the Daingerfield Tigers, the 4-0 Bux have the weapons to send the Pups (1-3) back to Rusk county licking their wounds from the thrashing the Bux will put on them.

Does Carthage have the tenacity to hang with the Bux or will they fold, crying like a bunch of Baby Girls. I say that all need to bring the tissues 'cause it will be ugly...the Bux have suffered under the strong arm of the Pups before & it is payback time with a triple dose of Shock & Awe...some say that Sarratt will have 'em ready for District Play...site back & relax Scotty my boy...we will do it for you.

Wow this is an elegant mixture of wit sarcasm and a fairly large pinch of hubrus. Carthage gets another L but will leave some wounds on the Buckeye backside like all cornered and desperate dogs do. Gilmer by 14.

Eagle8
09-21-2014, 11:08 AM
Pudlugger, you are way off. Carthage is so far down it isn't even funny. Gilmer will win by 40. It's that bad in Carthage right now, trust me.

Eagle8
09-21-2014, 11:10 AM

Carthage is in Panola county.

Celina8
09-21-2014, 11:20 AM

Ok , correcting him on the county is made me laugh!

lostaussie
09-21-2014, 04:58 PM
Ok , correcting him on the county is made me laugh!If u are gonna post stupid crap......at least know of what you speak.

Gilmer may win by 40........but I will have to see it to believe it.

lostaussie
09-21-2014, 05:00 PM
A little humility is sometimes good.....just saying

buckeyebob
09-21-2014, 07:19 PM
Yep...Humility is my middle name...the dogs are down...I say, let's jump on 'em...a dish of humility for 'em. 40 on Carthage...I don't predict numbers.

buckeyebob
09-21-2014, 07:20 PM

Once you get south of Gregg, it is Wild Frontier

regaleagle
09-21-2014, 08:58 PM
Gilmer is Good....that's all that needs to be said.

Dawgs
09-22-2014, 12:08 AM
I'll be at the game cheering for the Dawgs win, lose, or draw.

Dawgs
09-22-2014, 01:04 AM
Pudlugger, you are way off. Carthage is so far down it isn't even funny. Gilmer will win by 40. It's that bad in Carthage right now, trust me.

I've had a little time to digest everything. Carthage is obviously "down" from the state championship contender we were from 2007 - 2013. We got a young group of guys, and the senior class just doesn't have the type of athletes most classes that come thru have. Take away a senior who was all state we a sophomore, and a junior that was a D1 recruit and we are even further behind the 8 ball. While we have major problems catching the ball there are other problems that can be fixed with hard work and coaching. I have no doubt this coaching staff is doing everything in there power to improve this team. We are not winning the state championship this year, and might very well struggle to make the playoffs. Time will tell.

But with all that said for people to comment we are "so far down it isn't even funny" is pretty funny. Things are not that bad in Carthage. We have a great tradition, an awesome coaching staff, an the best facilities oil an gas money can buy. We have a freshman class that has never lost a game, a strong sophomore class, and a junior class that's improving every day. The future is bright in Carthage. It's easy of outsiders to look at Carthage and say we are down and things are bad, but the fact is it's not possible for things to be that bad. We could go 1-9, and next year be right back contending for Championships. So yes we are down, we have problems, at this point we are not a very good team. But we are a awesome program! This is uncharted waters for Surratt's program. I'm excited to see how we respond.

Aesculus gilmus
09-22-2014, 06:29 AM
Your description of this year's Bulldogs reminds me of the 2010 Buckeyes, who started out 1-2 and had to win the final regular season game here against Pittsburg to make the playoffs, but then went three rounds deep and wound up 9-4.

The coaches, I've always thought, worked a miracle with that team to get them that far. And credit goes to the players as well for not giving up when they could have. That was the year Carthage donkey-stomped us in Carthage, 38-21. That score doesn't reflect how thoroughly the Dawgs dominated the Bux that night.

buckeyebob
09-22-2014, 07:26 AM
I'll be at the game cheering for the Dawgs win, lose, or draw.

As it should be...real fans are there when it ain't pleasant...Struggling Team, terrible weather, wife reminds you what the doctor said...merely a suggestion

waterboy
09-22-2014, 07:39 AM
Your description of this year's Bulldogs reminds me of the 2010 Buckeyes, who started out 1-2 and had to win the final regular season game here against Pittsburg to make the playoffs, but then went three rounds deep and wound up 9-4.

The coaches, I've always thought, worked a miracle with that team to get them that far. And credit goes to the players as well for not giving up when they could have. That was the year Carthage donkey-stomped us in Carthage, 38-21. That score doesn't reflect how thoroughly the Dawgs dominated the Bux that night.

2010 was a bad year for the Buckeyes in that they were plagued by injuries and had the turnover bug they couldn't shake. That was also the only season since '02 that we haven't had double-digits in the win column. I think if the injuries hadn't have hit, and the turnover bug could've been shaken, we could had double-digit wins that year as well. We had eight starters out against Carthage that season, and the Dawgs commenced to whoop up pretty good.

This is a different year. The Buckeyes have stayed relatively healthy, and the turnovers (except against Tatum) have been limited. If the Buckeyes continue to cut out a bunch of the penalties and execute the way they know they can, this game will be won going away. If the Buckeyes are crisp in all three aspects of the game: offense, defense, and special teams, this team will be one tough team to beat. If they continue with the mistakes, it's only a matter of time before a good team out there will push them to the brink (like Tatum), or maybe even beat them. I was encouraged by the crispness of the Buckeyes against Daingerfield starting that game. They executed very well, cut penalties, and did what a good Buckeye team does...execute. I honestly don't know that much about Carthage this year, except that they haven't played like the Dawg teams of the past thus far. I know Carthage has one of the best coaching staffs in the state, and this team hasn't found themselves yet. If Carthage doesn't magically pull it together this week, and the Buckeyes execute the way they're capable, this "could" get ugly. I can't believe I'm saying that in a matchup between these teams. I'm anxious to see how this matchup goes.

waterboy
09-22-2014, 11:06 AM
I'd like to see a little more input from Carthage fans on this matchup. What's going on with this year's team? I know they're young, and the receivers have had trouble catching the ball, but what else is going on?

Eagleborn
09-22-2014, 12:14 PM
Carthage by a bunch.

Lolz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldtownag
09-22-2014, 12:39 PM
This game has all the ingredients for a major upset:

1. Overconfident team that has not really played anyone tough
2. Beat up team that has played a very tough schedule
3. Rivalry
4. GOTW
5. Saturday game

Don't corner a wounded dawg!

or.....

Maybe the bucs roll.

Dawgs
09-22-2014, 01:28 PM
I've said what was going on with this years team after last weeks loss to GW. The main problem is we can't catch the ball. I'm dead serious more than 10 for sure TD have been dropped this season in 3 games. We have plenty of other problems, but that is the dagger. GW had an ok team, But if we catch the ball I'm not sure we don't win by a couple of scores. They won't admit that. Carthage has always had a bend but don't break defense, and we had a couple of stops. Catch all those passes and it's a different game on the scoreboard, and field position wise. Another problem is depth. I think I counted 31 kids in the sidelines. Add the 11 that's in the field and that's 42 kids on the varsity. That's not enough to have the kind of depth that's needed at the championship contention level. Add that with basically 2 or 3 contributing seniors and that's a major problem. We will be fine on defense, we are just not any good in offense. Our freshman RB is awesome, but he is still 14 years old. You can't expect him to play every snap with 17-18 year olds. The main problem is for Surratts offense to work you have to be able to be balanced, and make vertical plays in the passing game. We don't have a Joe Jones, Jalyn Claiborne, Courtlyn Ware, Ed Pope, Tee Goree, and Okerion Rutherford on the team this year. We have had a true #1 big time reciever on the team since 2008. We just ain't got it this year. IMO this is the biggest problem and would fix a lot if the other problems itself.

waterboy
09-22-2014, 01:40 PM

1. Overconfident team that has not really played anyone tough I certainly hope they're not overconfident. This is CARTHAGE, the defending state champion they're playing. I don't care how the Dawgs' season has gone thus far. They are still well-coached, and will play hard. I'm pretty sure Traylor will keep them grounded. They are on a mission this year.

2. Beat up team that has played a very tough schedule Yes, Carthage has played a tougher schedule for sure, but if you would've looked at their schedules before the season began, I think their schedules would've been considered comparable.

3. Rivalry This should've been an annual game since '08 in my opinion. This is a budding rivalry that never really took wing. We're ready to make this an annual thing now.

4. GOTW It sure looked like GOTW material before the season started. It's kinda lost its luster with the Dawgs struggling, but you never know what'll happen when you put 14 to 18-year-olds in a game situation. Definitely two of the best programs in the state. Could be a good game.

5. Saturday game Will the extra day of rest make a big difference? I'm not sure.

or.....

Maybe the bucs roll.

I just hope to see improvements for the Buckeyes, and I hope the Dawgs struggle just one more week, LOL!

Dawgs
09-22-2014, 01:46 PM
I don't like Gilmer. Never have never will. I respect what the do on the field, and I respect their program, but name one team I would like to beat and it's Gilmer. IMO the Dawgs would take the Gilmer Darlings to the woodshed more often than not. This is not one of those years. I just hate that we don't get to meet very often, and now that we do it's a mismatch. Gilmer set this up!! It's a conspiracy!! They couldn't beat us fair and square now they have put some of that juju on our receivers so that they can't catch the ball! I've figured it out, now I hate Gilmer even more!!

waterboy
09-22-2014, 02:11 PM
I don't like Gilmer. Never have never will. I respect what the do on the field, and I respect their program, but name one team I would like to beat and it's Gilmer. IMO the Dawgs would take the Gilmer Darlings to the woodshed more often than not. This is not one of those years. I just hate that we don't get to meet very often, and now that we do it's a mismatch. Gilmer set this up!! It's a conspiracy!! They couldn't beat us fair and square now they have put some of that juju on our receivers so that they can't catch the ball! I've figured it out, now I hate Gilmer even more!!

Bwahahaha..., believe me, the feelings are mutual. There ain't nothing I'd like more than to beat the crap out of Carthage. Don't like Carthage, never have, but I do have a healthy respect for their coaching, their program, and what they do on the field. I'd love nothing more than to tan that hide and send dem little pups back to Panola County with their little tails between their legs. How's that?

buckeyebob
09-22-2014, 02:14 PM

1. Overconfident team that has not really played anyone tough
2. Beat up team that has played a very tough schedule
3. Rivalry
4. GOTW
5. Saturday game

or.....

Maybe the bucs roll.

All right...now that's I'm talking about...I knew somebody from Carthage would raise their ugly head & speak for the Bulldogs.

Overconfident...nope...maybe me but that is my job...we are depending on a gob of teenagers...they have it together...they look better every week...Saturday ag...7PM...so ready for 'ya

buckeyebob
09-22-2014, 02:26 PM

#2 Ugly Head
#2 on your head...I have suffered through other times...You are in the majority...People from Carthage & their Farm Team Tatum, hate the Buckeyes...sticks & stones

Dawgs
09-22-2014, 03:42 PM
We are about to beat the breaks off Gilmer! We been setting this up all season!

waterboy
09-22-2014, 04:56 PM
We are about to beat the breaks off Gilmer! We been setting this up all season!

WOW! Y'all been sandbagging, huh? Letting other teams beat y'all so we would think we have a chance, huh? That's a heck of a strategy if it works.

Seriously, though, unless turnovers play a huge part I think Gilmer wins going away. I've been wrong before, and I wouldn't be surprised if Carthage stayed in the game and kept it close. I just don't "think" it'll happen.

Aesculus gilmus
09-22-2014, 06:55 PM
I was shocked that Gladewater beat Carthage. Frankly, I was hoping Carthage would be 2-2 going into this game rather than 1-3 with their backs against the wall. They have nothing to lose.

The other side of that argument would be that they would've gained confidence by beating Gladewater.

I don't really hate Carthage or Tatum. I DO hate Gladewater, though. I'm only human.

bearbear78
09-22-2014, 08:03 PM
Gilmer is Gilmer, loaded with talent and playing good football. Carthage , I have to admit I am shocked but I do think they wake up and come alive this week and make it a shootout but probably not gonna be enough to top Gilmer. 42-34 Gilmer

Eagle8
09-22-2014, 08:19 PM
Again, Gilmer by 40.

Dawgs
09-22-2014, 08:27 PM
Again, Gilmer by 40.

Go away. We know that Tatum loves that Carthage is down. Sorry you guys won't get a chance to avenge those 50 point losses you have suffered from the Dawgs last couple of times we played. Man I remember in 2008 when we could have beat y'all by 100. We would have beat Tatum by 50 every year since 2008, except this year. Get it out of your system this year, cause this will be the last time for awhile. We can take our lumps like men over here. No excuses.

buckeyebob
09-23-2014, 05:28 AM
Go away. We know that Tatum loves that Carthage is down. Sorry you guys won't get a chance to avenge those 50 point losses you have suffered from the Dawgs last couple of times we played. Man I remember in 2008 when we could have beat y'all by 100. We would have beat Tatum by 50 every year since 2008, except this year. Get it out of your system this year, cause this will be the last time for awhile. We can take our lumps like men over here. No excuses.

We lost to Carthage in 2008 by a score of 31-28...long way from a 100 pts...2010 38-21...that might be the beatdown you are thinking about...2011 39-36 in favor of the Bux...perhaps you are thinking about some other system, not the Bux...2 out of 3 ain't bad but looks as if the Bux will be your Daddy for awhile...gonna be fun tanning that arrogant hide y'all got

bansheefan03
09-23-2014, 06:30 AM
I think he was talking bout Tatum in 08

lostaussie
09-23-2014, 08:14 AM
I think he was talking bout Tatum in 08
:doh:

Dawgs
09-23-2014, 10:51 AM
We lost to Carthage in 2008 by a score of 31-28...long way from a 100 pts...2010 38-21...that might be the beatdown you are thinking about...2011 39-36 in favor of the Bux...perhaps you are thinking about some other system, not the Bux...2 out of 3 ain't bad but looks as if the Bux will be your Daddy for awhile...gonna be fun tanning that arrogant hide y'all got

You probably wouldn't think we were so arrogant if you had any comprehension skills. I would be dumb to have directed that post at Gilmer. I don't even understand how you took that as anything to do with Gilmer. Bob, your the man haha.

movethechain
09-23-2014, 11:12 AM
You probably wouldn't think we were so arrogant if you had any comprehension skills. I would be dumb to have directed that post at Gilmer. I don't even understand how you took that as anything to do with Gilmer. Bob, your the man haha.

Be very careful getting into a discussion with Bob. His perception, recollection, regurgitation and prognostication will result in you warping your brain trying to make sense of it all. You have been warned.

Dawgs
09-23-2014, 12:00 PM
Be very careful getting into a discussion with Bob. His perception, recollection, regurgitation and prognostication will result in you warping your brain trying to make sense of it all. You have been warned.

Hahaha. I know your right. I will heed the warning and cease this activity at once. You Gilmer fans are ok with the exception of Bob. You guys are actually taking it easy on our young Dawgs on the message board. Let's hope your Buckeyes follow suite.

Back to the game. Our outside run pusuit has been pretty poor this season. This could spell disaster against the Buckeyes. I'll bet Surratt has put a great deal of emphasis on this in practice this week. If Carthage can somehow contain the outside run and create 3 or more turnovers we might have a chance. But all means nothing if we can't catch the ball. It sure would be sweet for everything to come together on Sarurday night!

lostaussie
09-23-2014, 12:15 PM
Most us know that worm will one day by turned!!

Dawgs
09-23-2014, 02:28 PM
Most us know that worm will one day by turned!!

Idk. As long as Traylor stays there it won't. Gilmer has such an awesome system even the "down" years they are still able to be a well oiled machine. Look at the 2011 Bucks. Supposed to be down, but played in the Championship game. Those are my favorite teams the ones that are over achievers. Like 2011 Buckeyes, and the 2010 Dawgs. Years where there is pressure to win a championship it can be nerve racking with all the expectations. Like Gilmer and Carthage there is that expectation to win state every year. It's really not fair, but that's the way it is. With the kind of numbers both shcools have it's just hard to field a championship contender ever season. The Buckeyes have it a little easier since they are the biggest school in DII, but that only started this year. I sure hope the Dawgs turn into an overachieving team this year. If we can play the Bucks close I think it will build confidence going into district. It will could possibly be the last close game the Buckeyes play before the postseason. I hope for a good one!

lostaussie
09-23-2014, 02:33 PM
Thought that about y'all to........but as you see at some point you run out of "jimmies and joes" . One of the days it will happen to us........and when it does there will be lots of folks lined up to get them some payback. Let's hope its not anytime soon:D

Aesculus gilmus
09-24-2014, 06:24 AM
It was the 2012 team that made it to the championship game against Navasota. The 2011 team (sans Luke Turner, although I'm not saying his presence would've won that game) lost to Argyle in the quarterfinals.

If the overall Gilmer facilities (outside of the athletic facilities, which are good to go for many years - unless you absolutely have to have a video board and indoor practice facility) continue to crumble because of an inability to win any more bond elections (and this is a real possibility, IMO, considering the angry mood of the district electorate), I could make the case that we'd run out of "jimmies and joes."

However, there is a significant segment of the parent population that might still enroll their sons in the Gilmer district just to get to play under the Traylor system. There is no doubt he and his staff have established themselves as an elite program in Texas.

Dawgs
09-24-2014, 05:36 PM
It was the 2012 team that made it to the championship game against Navasota. The 2011 team (sans Luke Turner, although I'm not saying his presence would've won that game) lost to Argyle in the quarterfinals.

If the overall Gilmer facilities (outside of the athletic facilities, which are good to go for many years - unless you absolutely have to have a video board and indoor practice facility) continue to crumble because of an inability to win any more bond elections (and this is a real possibility, IMO, considering the angry mood of the district electorate), I could make the case that we'd run out of "jimmies and joes."

However, there is a significant segment of the parent population that might still enroll their sons in the Gilmer district just to get to play under the Traylor system. There is no doubt he and his staff have established themselves as an elite program in Texas.

Yes 2012 team I was referring to. That 2011 team was good too. But they were expected to be good. That was a heck of a game that year. Traylors son drove them down for the game winning drive after Turner was knocked out. Dang Ed Pope was a beast that year! I remember in that Gilmer game he put a spin move on one of the Buckeyes for the ages and housed it! I might have to find that on youtube and watch it. Other thing I remember about that game was Turner getting 5 yards a pop when we thought he was tackled for a lose everytime. That was a fun year.

Eagle8
09-24-2014, 07:07 PM

We were horrible in 08 and it was only a 42 point loss, lol. But when was the other 50 point loss? Before that we went back and forth trading wins....we might even lead the series against you...or its either tied or ya'll got us by one. You beat us 49-45 or something like that in 03.....we beat you 17-0 in 04, we beat you 21-20 in 05. Don't act like we don't belong on the field with you, history is calling you a liar. And I'm not poking fun....it is what it is, I actually think Gilmer wins by 40. Making a prediction is all.

Dawgs
09-24-2014, 07:59 PM
We were horrible in 08 and it was only a 42 point loss, lol. But when was the other 50 point loss? Before that we went back and forth trading wins....we might even lead the series against you...or its either tied or ya'll got us by one. You beat us 49-45 or something like that in 03.....we beat you 17-0 in 04, we beat you 21-20 in 05. Don't act like we don't belong on the field with you, history is calling you a liar. And I'm not poking fun....it is what it is, I actually think Gilmer wins by 40. Making a prediction is all.

With Surratt as the coach Tatum don't belong on the same field with Carthage. Maybe once out of every 10 seasons when y'all have a special bunch and we are down. Bout like Tatum and Gilmer. 03 - 05 Carthage had some very poor coaching and any games they won was in spite of coaching. Anyway it doesn't matter. You getting on here predicting 40 point blow outs makes you feel good, go ahead and predict.

Eagle8
09-25-2014, 06:40 AM
With Surratt as the coach Tatum don't belong on the same field with Carthage. Maybe once out of every 10 seasons when y'all have a special bunch and we are down. Bout like Tatum and Gilmer. 03 - 05 Carthage had some very poor coaching and any games they won was in spite of coaching. Anyway it doesn't matter. You getting on here predicting 40 point blow outs makes you feel good, go ahead and predict.
Its not about feeling good, lol. I have no hard feelings towards carthage. I just think that the margin of victory will be that big this year. Its happens people rebuild from time to time. I'm sure they'll be back to themselves real soon.

Dawgs
09-25-2014, 09:23 AM
Its not about feeling good, lol. I have no hard feelings towards carthage. I just think that the margin of victory will be that big this year. Its happens people rebuild from time to time. I'm sure they'll be back to themselves real soon.

I guess I'm just a little riled up and touchy with the Bulldawgs losing. Some of us around here don't know how to act.

BB BULLS
09-25-2014, 09:36 AM
everyone just keep in mind there are upsets every year.

waterboy
09-25-2014, 10:32 AM
everyone just keep in mind there are upsets every year.

Yes, they do. I would be MIGHTILY upset if we lost to Carthrage. Haha!

If the Buckeyes concentrate on getting better every week, i.e. executing flawlessly, minimizing penalties, turnovers, alignment mistakes defensively, etc., they will be one tough nut to crack. They are already good. Just imagine how good they could be if they eliminated the mistakes. Carthage will get better as the season progresses, and you KNOW they will be UP for this matchup, but I think Gilmer will be too much, in my humble opinion.

Dawgs
09-25-2014, 10:45 AM
Yes, they do. I would be MIGHTILY upset if we lost to Carthrage. Haha!

If the Buckeyes concentrate on getting better every week, i.e. executing flawlessly, minimizing penalties, turnovers, alignment mistakes defensively, etc., they will be one tough nut to crack. They are already good. Just imagine how good they could be if they eliminated the mistakes. Carthage will get better as the season progresses, and you KNOW they will be UP for this matchup, but I think Gilmer will be too much, in my humble opinion.

I agree 100%. If the Buckeyes ever put it all together and eliminate mistakes they are going to be a heck of a team. Already a really good team with the potential to be one of the great teams. If the Buckeyes play mistake free I think it could get ugly. Carthage's only chance is to capitalize on every mistake. Alot has been made about Carthage not catching passes, and this is the biggest problem; but the outside run defense is my biggest worry in this game. We have not done a very good job stopping the outside run, and this is Gilmer's strong point offensively. We have to have a strong push up front, and DE an outside LB have to be disciplined and have perfect technique. A missed tackle and a blown assignment this team goes 80 yards in one play on a jet sweep. I hate to say this but if we can keep this game within 2 scores, and play with high intensity I'll feel good about our chances going into district. District of Doom is non existent this season. It was a good run, but I think that name is not fitting this season. Pains me to say it, but it looks like Ville district out in region 1 is the best district in the state, and as down as I have been on region 1 it looks like that might be the best region in D1.

bansheefan03
09-25-2014, 11:34 AM
Gilmer reminds me alot of Oregon good year in and year out but can't handle the big physical teams

cowboyandchrist
09-25-2014, 12:08 PM
Gilmer reminds me alot of Oregon good year in and year out but can't handle the big physical teams

Tatum is big time physical and gilmer beat us.

waterboy
09-25-2014, 12:14 PM

You're right. The Buckeyes have had problems with those kinds of teams in the past. The Buckeyes just haven't had much size on defense the last several years to handle those smash mouth running teams very well. They are fast, and do very well on the edges, but up the middle or off either tackle has been the achilles heel of the Black Flag defense. They are a little better this year, but still have a lot of room for improvement. Offense has never really been a problem 'cause they usually score a lot of points. There have been teams that have slowed us down, and some special teams that have almost stopped us completely, but it is rare. I would gladly give up scoring a few points if we could get more critical stops defensively. I love to score a lot of points, but I love me some SHUTDOWN DEFENSE even more. This year's team seems to have a good enough combination of both, but there's always room for improvement.

hollywood
09-25-2014, 12:18 PM
I agree 100%. If the Buckeyes ever put it all together and eliminate mistakes they are going to be a heck of a team. Already a really good team with the potential to be one of the great teams. If the Buckeyes play mistake free I think it could get ugly. Carthage's only chance is to capitalize on every mistake. Alot has been made about Carthage not catching passes, and this is the biggest problem; but the outside run defense is my biggest worry in this game. We have not done a very good job stopping the outside run, and this is Gilmer's strong point offensively. We have to have a strong push up front, and DE an outside LB have to be disciplined and have perfect technique. A missed tackle and a blown assignment this team goes 80 yards in one play on a jet sweep. I hate to say this but if we can keep this game within 2 scores, and play with high intensity I'll feel good about our chances going into district. District of Doom is non existent this season. It was a good run, but I think that name is not fitting this season. Pains me to say it, but it looks like Ville district out in region 1 is the best district in the state, and as down as I have been on region 1 it looks like that might be the best region in D1.

Carthage will be improved this week. Gilmer is very good. Will be a heck of a ball game! Good luck to both!

Dawgs, I agree that Dist 3 in Reg 1 is probably the toughest this season. It's normally not that way over the past several years, but this year, yes. Stephenville, Big Spring, Abilene Wylie, Brownwood are all solid teams this year. Then you add Andrews, Sweetwater, Monahans, Graham from the other districts, I think Reg 1 is the strongest Reg this season in DI.

waterboy
09-25-2014, 02:54 PM
It looks like I won't get to attend this game. My daughter has a softball tournament in Carthage of all places that day. Is there a radio station that carries Carthage games, or does KYKX carry them? I'd like to listen to the game at least, but updates would be appreciated if I can't. I can keep up with the score on the Red Zone, but I prefer real time.

lostaussie
09-25-2014, 03:04 PM
It looks like I won't get to attend this game. My daughter has a softball tournament in Carthage of all places that day. Is there a radio station that carries Carthage games, or does KYKX carry them? I'd like to listen to the game at least, but updates would be appreciated if I can't. I can keep up with the score on the Red Zone, but I prefer real time.Maybe it will be on kykx.......since its the "kykx game of the week" :D

oldtownag
09-25-2014, 03:06 PM
KGAS in Carthage
104.3 / 1590

waterboy
09-25-2014, 03:16 PM
Maybe it will be on kykx.......since its the "kykx game of the week" :D

Are you sure about that? I thought they just broke in for live updates during regular programming... I don't know for sure 'cause I ain't never missed attending the KYKX GOTW with Gilmer involved.

lostaussie
09-25-2014, 03:55 PM
Are you sure about that? I thought they just broke in for live updates during regular programming... I don't know for sure 'cause I ain't never missed attending the KYKX GOTW with Gilmer involved.no I'm not sure.....I just thought it was an insiteful observation:D

lostaussie
09-25-2014, 03:56 PM
I think I just made that word up:thumbsup:

waterboy
09-25-2014, 04:11 PM
I think I just made that word up:thumbsup:

Yep, it's definitely not in the dictionary. Like I said, I don't think they carry the actual game live. I think they just break in for live updates. Are you going to the game, or are you heading west?

lostaussie
09-25-2014, 04:56 PM
Yep, it's definitely not in the dictionary. Like I said, I don't think they carry the actual game live. I think they just break in for live updates. Are you going to the game, or are you heading west?going to the game

waterboy
09-25-2014, 05:05 PM
going to the game

Good. Text me updates.

Pudlugger
09-25-2014, 06:30 PM
Gilmer's only quality opponent was Tatum the rest are 1-10. Overall records for Gilmer opponents 3-11. Carthage has had a tougher schedule with overall record of opponents 9-4. Gilmer showed strength in their win over Tatum but otherwise their schedule is weak up to now. If Carthage ambushes the Buckeyes tomorrow night and gets a win I will not be greatly surprised, only mildly surprised. I see this a great opportunity for the Dawgs as they have nothing to lose and everything to gain. The pressure is on Gilmer in this game. I do not agree with BuckeyeBob that Gilmer will win by 40. It will be a close game maybe <14 points either way.

movethechain
09-25-2014, 08:13 PM
Gilmer's only quality opponent was Tatum the rest are 1-10. Overall records for Gilmer opponents 3-11. Carthage has had a tougher schedule with overall record of opponents 9-4. Gilmer showed strength in their win over Tatum but otherwise their schedule is weak up to now. If Carthage ambushes the Buckeyes tomorrow night and gets a win I will not be greatly surprised, only mildly surprised. I see this a great opportunity for the Dawgs as they have nothing to lose and everything to gain. The pressure is on Gilmer in this game. I do not agree with BuckeyeBob that Gilmer will win by 40. It will be a close game maybe <14 points either way.

Carthage will not be able to hang with the Bux this time around. Mistakes by Gilmer could keep the Dawgs in the game, but it would take a heaping boatload of them. But strange things sometimes happen and that's why we play the game. If Carthage is not able to catch passes this week, it could be a blowout. Carthage has a decent running game, but nothing like Tatum. Carthage will need to execute plays flawlessly and have near zero mistakes with penalties and turnovers. It will be interesting to see how the game unfolds.

buckeyebob
09-26-2014, 07:55 AM
It looks like I won't get to attend this game. My daughter has a softball tournament in Carthage of all places that day. Is there a radio station that carries Carthage games, or does KYKX carry them? I'd like to listen to the game at least, but updates would be appreciated if I can't. I can keep up with the score on the Red Zone, but I prefer real time.

http://www.easttexastoday.com/kgas.php

They broadcast live...have a bucket handy for puke...they are soooooo Homer

buckeyebob
09-26-2014, 08:02 AM

Mistake...I do not have point spreads in my predictions...I think it will be close...Carthage always plays us tight...& Surratt does not want Traylor to have a win on him

Dawgs
09-27-2014, 07:05 PM
Bout to kickoff. Gilmer's on home side an are packed! Carthage folks are still rolling in. Gilmer set to receive.

lostaussie
09-27-2014, 07:08 PM
13 seconds later its Gilmer 7-0

Dawgs
09-27-2014, 07:09 PM
1st play from scrimmage Boyd almost tackled for a loss, reverses field for a 50 yard TD.

lostaussie
09-27-2014, 07:20 PM
One offensive play from scrimmage. 20-0 Gilmer

lostaussie
09-27-2014, 07:31 PM
Still one play on offense. 27-0 gilmer has about 300 return yards. Incredible.

WOS1
09-27-2014, 07:58 PM
Score?

Pudlugger
09-27-2014, 07:59 PM
Yikes! Carthage is just getting hammered here. 34-7 in the second quarter.

WOS1
09-27-2014, 08:00 PM
Yikes! Carthage is just getting hammered here. 37-0 in the second quarter.

Wow!

mrgreenblood
09-27-2014, 08:00 PM
Carthage 0
Gilmer 34
2qtr

mrgreenblood
09-27-2014, 08:01 PM

mrgreenblood
09-27-2014, 08:02 PM
Sorry for reposting the score. My app hadn't refreshed.

poisoned10
09-27-2014, 08:12 PM
Gilmer up 41-7 with 1:45 left to halftime.

lostaussie
09-27-2014, 08:22 PM
41-14 half

Dawgs
09-27-2014, 08:24 PM
Carthage by no means should be winning or anything like that, but this game should be a lot closer. Carthage has the talent, just the most undisciplined team we have had in a long time. You can't spot a good team like this 21 points and expect to keep it close. Carthage dropped a for sure TD pass on the 10 an turned it over on downs, and fumbled a 1st down run on the 5 that was returned 95 yards for a TD. 41-14 at the half. Carthage receives the ball to start the 3rd QT. I'll be happy to see Carthage clean up the mistakes and keep it respectable.

lostaussie
09-27-2014, 08:39 PM
You got no problem moving it.......you got a heck of a problem holding on to it. Defens also not very good. But I've seen flashes of talent on offensive side of the ball

Dawgs
09-27-2014, 09:25 PM
Embarrassing display

poisoned10
09-27-2014, 10:31 PM
Final:

Gilmer - 58
Carthage - 21

Aggie98
09-27-2014, 10:56 PM
Embarrassing display

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. You guys have earned the right to catch your breath this year.

lostaussie
09-27-2014, 11:03 PM
Very disappointed in the Carthage crowd. You can tell they have been spoiled. If they had been unbeaten there would have been a sea of red. Tonight it was more like a small pond.

Dawgs
09-27-2014, 11:18 PM
Very disappointed in the Carthage crowd. You can tell they have been spoiled. If they had been unbeaten there would have been a sea of red. Tonight it was more like a small pond.

I know that's what I was saying last week at the Gladewater game. It makes me sick. Most spoiled fan base in HSFB. Winning ships everybody is at the games. Having a tough season and nobody shows up. The ones that do show have a bout as much spirit as Jacksonville Jaguar fan. Nobody cheers, and everybody is running the team down.

With that said that was hard to watch tonight. Very undisciplined. Not what we are used to seeing out of a Surratt coached ball club. Little to no improvement from the 1st game of the season. Gilmer is good. Lots of speed. Too many athletes. Still small in the trenches, but enough athletes to make up for it. They know how to capitalize and cease the moment. Bring the Championship back to ETX. No matter how much I dislike Gilmer, I would rather them represent our area more than any other team besides Carthage. We will live to fight another day. I'm ready for next year to see who comes out in top in the best of 5! We are all knotted up at 2 now!

buckeyebob
09-27-2014, 11:46 PM
Strangest game I have ever seen...not casting a stone...1st qtr...Bux had possession for 23 sec. total

waterboy
09-29-2014, 11:21 AM
I don't remember ever seeing a game where one team runs one offensive play in a quarter (:23 seconds of possession time) and leads 27-0. I've just never seen it before. That is all.

hollywood
09-29-2014, 11:31 AM
I don't remember ever seeing a game where one team runs one offensive play in a quarter (:23 seconds of possession time) and leads 27-0. I've just never seen it before. That is all.

There's a first time for everything.

waterboy
09-29-2014, 11:53 AM
There's a first time for everything.

I guess so.

lostaussie
09-29-2014, 12:49 PM
To be honest with you.....I still think they may win their district. They have some talent, but my oh my they make a bunch of mistakes!!

BB BULLS
09-29-2014, 01:15 PM
well i guess my (anything can happen) didn't happen. that was a smack down

buckeyebob
09-29-2014, 06:21 PM
Raw Data:
My Buckeye reported their offensive line was by far the biggest & most physical of any they have seen this year. He was banged up & sore...& they are Carthage...may not be SC quality this year but they will be in the mix.