PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Question: Using JV Players

Bullaholic
09-18-2014, 09:07 AM
What are your thoughts on how heavily coaches should borrow from the JV to help the varsity out, if needed? What are the pros and cons?

pancho villa
09-18-2014, 10:22 AM
What are your thoughts on how heavily coaches should borrow from the JV to help the varsity out, if needed? What are the pros and cons?

As needed. But only bring a kid up to play (not sit on bench) or leave him down. That simple.

Rabid Cougar
09-18-2014, 10:39 AM
As needed. But only bring a kid up to play (not sit on bench) or leave him down. That simple.

This^^^^^^^

and on the flip side, if you have a underclassman varsity player that is not getting any PT, send him down. Let him keep his helmet stickers.

Gone Fishing
09-18-2014, 10:39 AM
Next best player needed plays.

OLE'BULL
09-18-2014, 11:17 AM
Agreed with almost all of you. Do not move him up during the year to sit the bench. If you need a warm body just to fill a #2 spot, have a couple current Varsity guys ready to bounce around and fill in at a position that they maybe aren't quite as comfortable in. If he is filling a #1 spot due to injury or something, he still needs to stay up. If he is good enough to start, he is good enough to stay. If you do move him up, you better keep him there.

As far as sending an underclassmen already on the Varsity back down to JV because he isn't getting any PT, I think I disagree. If he earned a spot on the Varsity, he needs to stay. The practice time is crucial and getting the exposure to way the Varsity does everything is invaluable. A lot of JV teams dont spend the time in the film room that the Varsity does. The extra practice each week is important. Going against better more experienced players every day is important. The pre-game routines are different. Everything is different. If an underclassmen starts the year on the Varsity, you are probably expecting him to be a contributor that year, but definitely a major one next year. Some kids take a year to adjust, no matter what grade they are in.

Rabid Cougar
09-18-2014, 12:45 PM
As far as sending an underclassmen already on the Varsity back down to JV because he isn't getting any PT, I think I disagree. If he earned a spot on the Varsity, he needs to stay. The practice time is crucial and getting the exposure to way the Varsity does everything is invaluable. A lot of JV teams dont spend the time in the film room that the Varsity does. The extra practice each week is important. Going against better more experienced players every day is important. The pre-game routines are different. Everything is different. If an underclassmen starts the year on the Varsity, you are probably expecting him to be a contributor that year, but definitely a major one next year. Some kids take a year to adjust, no matter what grade they are in.

I totally disagree with this. My youngest son was on varsity his sophomore year starting with two-a-days. Never played a down. He asked to be sent down so that he could play, which he would have gone both ways.
Exact same thing happened with baseball the same year with a senior laden team, yet they wouldn't send him down to the JV where he could played.

I have never been so mad at coaches. Most assinine bunch of crap I have ever witnessed. Was continuously having to talk him out of quiting. What good did that do for his confidence much less his skills? All the kid wanted to do was play. He wasn't hung up on the "varsity" label.

toddg
09-18-2014, 02:32 PM
i agree with RC, REPS are more important and beneficial than just being on Varsity

OLE'BULL
09-18-2014, 03:06 PM
I totally disagree with this. My youngest son was on varsity his sophomore year starting with two-a-days. Never played a down. He asked to be sent down so that he could play, which he would have gone both ways.
Exact same thing happened with baseball the same year with a senior laden team, yet they wouldn't send him down to the JV where he could played.

I have never been so mad at coaches. Most assinine bunch of crap I have ever witnessed. Was continuously having to talk him out of quiting. What good did that do for his confidence much less his skills? All the kid wanted to do was play. He wasn't hung up on the "varsity" label.

He never played a single down? No special teams? Nothing? If that is the case, then it was a bad move by the coach and that is not the norm. Where was he on the depth chart? If he was a #2 guy that just never got to play, I can understand keeping him up. Still they should have played him occasionally. That being said, I would venture to say he was a starter his junior year coming in to two a days? And was probably more prepared and more advanced than the kids who came up from the JV? Unfortunately, the coaches have to do whats best for the team, the players should want to as well. The head coaches job is his priority and probably has a family to feed as well. He is going to make sure he goes in to the game with a team full of guys that he thinks can contribute if their number is called. Instead of losing confidence in himself, it should have given him motivation. I guess I need a few more details about the situation before I can make my decision on it...

The Bull #40
09-18-2014, 03:08 PM

I have never been so mad at coaches. Most assinine bunch of crap I have ever witnessed. Was continuously having to talk him out of quitting. What good did that do for his confidence much less his skills? All the kid wanted to do was play. He wasn't hung up on the "varsity" label.

Not every player can play on the varsity, but it's an honor to be called up as a sophomore because it means the coaches think you are good enough to be there and will be an asset in the future. As far as asking to get moved down to JV for playing time, I strongly disagree with that decision. That shows coaches selfishness, of course every kid wants to be playing but it's called paying your dues being a scout team player or a special teams guy and helping out the team. If you had to talk your kid out of quitting multiple times just because he wasn't getting to play then he most likely should just quit and save the coaches some trouble, IMO. To call coaches assinine for doing what was best for the varsity team by having him as a backup, special teams, or scout team guy is pretty assinine and selfish if you ask me.

GodleyEast
09-18-2014, 10:52 PM
great topic!

If he can help, bring him up.

Godley has a guy on the jv that would be a difference maker on the defense right now. losing two non district games by a few inches, he would have made enough plays to influence the final score. They were non district games which are just that. But again, if the player can fill one of a few holes, bring him up!!maybe for district.

Rabid Cougar
09-18-2014, 11:51 PM
Not every player can play on the varsity, but it's an honor to be called up as a sophomore because it means the coaches think you are good enough to be there and will be an asset in the future. As far as asking to get moved down to JV for playing time, I strongly disagree with that decision. That shows coaches selfishness, of course every kid wants to be playing but it's called paying your dues being a scout team player or a special teams guy and helping out the team. If you had to talk your kid out of quitting multiple times just because he wasn't getting to play then he most likely should just quit and save the coaches some trouble, IMO. To call coaches assinine for doing what was best for the varsity team by having him as a backup, special teams, or scout team guy is pretty assinine and selfish if you ask me.

Okay you got my riled up so now you get to hear all about it. :foul:

It was assinine coaches that blew smoke up the kids ass, telling him that he was going to get in and then not doing it. How many times would you bust your ass in practice with the oline coach telling you "you're going to get in" and still not get in? How many time would you put up with that? The kids was anything but selfish. He played scout team. He did everything that was asked of him. Never complained, always good natured. But you dont know the pressure that he was under to perform. How any of you followed your borther that was a three year starter, a two time All-State Defensive end and Super Centex Defensive Player of the year and then went on to play at the D1 Level? Basically a God in the eyes of the coaches. How many times did a coach approach you and ask how was your brother doing, never asking about how you were doing? The kid was living in his brothers shadow and he wasn't his brother in his ability. The coaches never could get that through their thick skulls. If he was so needed then why did they run another No. 2 olineman in at the position that he was No.2 on the depth chart? That is what I had to fight every friday night after the games.....

You have no idea what he went through. He played both ways through jr high school. PLayed with a torn labrum his freshman year, an injury most players are shelved for the season. His coach publically said that was the gutsiest thing he had ever witnessed. Had the surgery and went through rehab. Did everything he had to do to get back in shape for the sophmore season. Coach called him out in front of the rest of the team and made the statement that this is how the rest of them should be working. ALL of this, and then they pulled the crap they pulled on him. Yes it was assinine.

The baseball coach actually realized that he had too many kids on the varsity and did send him down. The problem was that that the JV coach and the Varsity coach were having a pissing contest and the kid got caught in the middle. He stuck it out and was on the team when it came one game from going to the state tournement.

And no, he wasn't a starter on oline his junior year. The defensive line coach, who didn't coach or know his brother, took him instead and made him him a defensive lineman and them he did start about three games into the season.

If you are going to develop your younger talent, they have to have reps. If they are not getting it at the varsity level, they need to be sent down. I see it every thurdays night. there are JV kids with Varsity team's stickers on their helmets and are playing both ways on the JV.

toddg
09-19-2014, 12:06 AM

It was assinine coaches that blew smoke up the kids ass, telling him that he was going to get in and then not doing it. How many times would you bust your ass in practice with the oline coach telling you "you're going to get in" and still not get in? How many time would you put up with that? The kids was anything but selfish. He played scout team. He did everything that was asked of him. Never complained, always good natured. But you dont know the pressure that he was under to perform. How any of you followed your borther that was a three year starter, a two time All-State Defensive end and Super Centex Defensive Player of the year and then went on to play at the D1 Level? Basically a God in the eyes of the coaches. How many times did a coach approach you and ask how was your brother doing, never asking about how you were doing? The kid was living in his brothers shadow and he wasn't his brother in his ability. The coaches never could get that through their thick skulls. If he was so needed then why did they run another No. 2 olineman in at the position that he was No.2 on the depth chart? That is what I had to fight every friday night after the games.....

You have no idea what he went through. He played both ways through jr high school. PLayed with a torn labrum his freshman year, an injury most players are shelved for the season. His coach publically said that was the gutsiest thing he had ever witnessed. Had the surgery and went through rehab. Did everything he had to do to get back in shape for the sophmore season. Coach called him out in front of the rest of the team and made the statement that this is how the rest of them should be working. ALL of this, and then they pulled the crap they pulled on him. Yes it was assinine.

The baseball coach actually realized that he had too many kids on the varsity and did send him down. The problem was that that the JV coach and the Varsity coach were having a pissing contest and the kid got caught in the middle. He stuck it out and was on the team when it came one game from going to the state tournement.

And no, he wasn't a starter on oline his junior year. The defensive line coach, who didn't coach or know his brother, took him instead and made him him a defensive lineman and them he did start about three games into the season.

If you are going to develop your younger talent, they have to have reps. If they are not getting it at the varsity level, they need to be sent down. I see it every thurdays night. there are JV kids with Varsity team's stickers on their helmets and are playing both ways on the JV.
Right there with ya on this!!

The Bull #40
09-19-2014, 10:36 AM

Once again, I'm sorry that he didn't get the PT till later on, but you're not gonna get much sympathy from me. That story basically describes my high school career - was great as a freshman but tore my labrum (like your kid) halfway through the season. Got it fixed, rehabbed hard to be ready for sophomore year, but I didn't have my strength back yet so guess what -- I just played special teams and scout team. It sucks but it's called paying your dues if you're not good enough to start yet. I had an older brother who was a star at my hs that the coaches always compared to me - he went and played D1 football, I was never that good but I played more my junior year and then was a captain and started my senior year (both ways for a few games). My point is, I wasn't trying to rile you up but you can't get mad at the coaches for doing what's best for the team.

Rabid Cougar
09-19-2014, 01:59 PM
Once again, I'm sorry that he didn't get the PT till later on, but you're not gonna get much sympathy from me. That story basically describes my high school career - was great as a freshman but tore my labrum (like your kid) halfway through the season. Got it fixed, rehabbed hard to be ready for sophomore year, but I didn't have my strength back yet so guess what -- I just played special teams and scout team. It sucks but it's called paying your dues if you're not good enough to start yet. I had an older brother who was a star at my hs that the coaches always compared to me - he went and played D1 football, I was never that good but I played more my junior year and then was a captain and started my senior year (both ways for a few games). My point is, I wasn't trying to rile you up but you can't get mad at the coaches for doing what's best for the team.

When your son gets mind "screwed" by his football coach, you telling me that your not going to get mad at the coach?

Gone Fishing
09-19-2014, 02:52 PM
You gotta get Reps!!! Game Reps!!! I don't care if its freshman, JV, varstiy, or college. Practice is practice and games are games and to get better ya gotta have game reps.

Sweetwater Red
09-19-2014, 03:04 PM
Our current QB who is a senior is a three year starter. Our next three year starter at QB is a freshmen
who the coaches have starting on the JV team to get valuable experience at a speed a little faster then
at the frosh level. I heard things were going well until he broke his collarbone yesterday at Snyder.

He'll miss 4-6 weeks but should be ready between week 8-10 and will either start the last couple of
games on the JV schedule or be called up to varsity then.