09-15-2014, 11:44 PM
Well?

Eagleborn
09-16-2014, 11:23 AM
GW by 21.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waterboy
09-16-2014, 11:47 AM
If Carthage is going to turn their season around it needs to start this week, in my opinion. I think Gladewater is a formidable foe, and will be provide a good measure as to how much improvement they've made. I think this game will be relatively close, with Gladewater coming out on top by 7 to 13 points.

lostaussie
09-16-2014, 11:57 AM
gw by 21.

Sent from my iphone using tapatalknot!!

Eagleborn
09-16-2014, 12:11 PM
not!!

You may be right. GW did lose to the first "average or above" team they played this season.

I do know Carthage is another 2/3 years away from making another run.

lostaussie
09-16-2014, 12:15 PM
Surely gw is not 3 TDs better?

cowboyandchrist
09-16-2014, 06:22 PM
Surely gw is not 3 TDs better?
They maybe, it all depends on who will step up to catch the football and not be afraid of taking a hit. So far the Dawgs have dropped many would be touch downs. The Hallsville game is a prime example, inside the five yard line twice and do not score in the first quarter. The Nac game, several touch down passes dropped. This is a team full of Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors, and very few Seniors. The O line is good but are missing assignments. The defense is playing well but the offense has put them in bad situations. Coach S believes they can be a good football team if they remember what they are suppose to do on every play. The QB has a great arm and has the makings of another GOOD Carthage QB, but even he has turned the wrong way or wasn't on the same page as the receivers. I hope this game shows great improvement. The Dawgs can beat the Bears, but it will take a Dawg team focused on what the coaches are trying to get them to do.

Aesculus gilmus
09-16-2014, 06:41 PM
I think Carthage will upset Gladewater and then play Gilmer surprisingly close (and I hope it's not another upset) the following Saturday in Longview.

I've never seen a Surratt-coached team yet that is still struggling by the middle of the season.

Dawgs
09-16-2014, 07:05 PM
You may be right. GW did lose to the first "average or above" team they played this season.

I do know Carthage is another 2/3 years away from making another run.

No way Carthage loses by 21. We left prolly 20 points on the field, and Nac only beat us by 20. I am not saying we are going to win, but I expect a close game. We better learn to catch the ball. If not its going to be a long season. It is our goal to be balanced on offense, and we cannot be when you can't catch passes that hit you in the hands. Our defense is going to get better, and should be good enough by the end of the season to make a run. Our offense needs to catch up. We have alot of kids that are getting their first experience on varsity football. We don't have the depth as we have had the last couple of year, but we will still be a good football team by the end of the year. As for you comment we are 2-3 years away from making another run? Where are you getting your information? Carthage will back to a top 10 team next year. This year who knows. If we can beat GW, and hang with Gilmer we will be ok. If not, its going to be a long season.

regaleagle
09-16-2014, 08:51 PM
So how does Gladewater matchup to passing offenses? I would think they are better suited to defend against a predominately run offense, and may have trouble with teams that pass as much as they run. What's the skinny on that?

Aesculus gilmus
09-17-2014, 07:36 AM
2013: Gilmer 52, Gladewater 14

IOW, they seemed to have trouble matching up against a passing offense that night. And the legendary Daylon Mack was NOT a factor in that game - on either side of the ball.

waterboy
09-17-2014, 08:08 AM
Gladewater has a different coach this year than last. They seem to have found a passing game to go along with their running game. Their QB has a good arm, too. I think Gladewater is a lot better this year than last, but I don't think they're good enough to be a real contender. Heck, with Tatum and Atlanta in their district, there's a possibility they could get third in their district.

I'm going with Gladewater to win, but I definitely wouldn't be surprised if Carthage pulled off the upset..., if you could call it that.

Aesculus gilmus
09-17-2014, 05:41 PM
Coach Traylor likes to talk about the 'G' on his players' helmets and how much it's worth.

It's similarly true that the 'C' on the Carthage helmets is worth a lot. I think it'll overcome the Bears' home field advantage.

As I understand it, Coach Berry of Gladewater is not only from the former staff, but is a close friend of the previous coach. That previous coach may even be back at the helm in a couple of years, I heard. This is all hearsay, I must emphasize.

JacketSwarm
09-17-2014, 08:03 PM
what's the deal with carthage this season?

Fire Away

lostaussie
09-17-2014, 08:22 PM

Fire Awayso far....... They just not very good. They probably gonna figure it out.

Dawgs
09-17-2014, 09:18 PM
so far....... They just not very good. They probably gonna figure it out.

Not much else to say...That sums it up. One excuse would be we are starting about 19 new guys with very little to no varsity experience. Can't execute on offense is the biggest problem. I said it before, but Carthage was in no way top 10 team to begin the season. This is what happens when you start the same 17 or 18 kids 3 years in a row. This is Carthage. These are not valid excuses. Plain and simple we ain't getting it done as a team. We have the right coaches, and personnel to build around. We should be fine.

Aggie98
09-17-2014, 09:53 PM

Fire Away

Graduated a ton. They lost the best player on their team to off-the-field issues. Heard the other day another great player (D-1 prospect) quit because he wasn't happy with the position he was playing. They have a loaded freshman class and a pretty good sophomore class... They won't be down for long.

Ville-D
09-17-2014, 10:05 PM
Graduated a ton. They lost the best player on their team to off-the-field issues. Heard the other day another great player (D-1 prospect) quit because he wasn't happy with the position he was playing. They have a loaded freshman class and a pretty good sophomore class... They won't be down for long.

That sucks

buckeyebob
09-18-2014, 06:35 AM
They maybe, it all depends on who will step up to catch the football and not be afraid of taking a hit. So far the Dawgs have dropped many would be touch downs. The Hallsville game is a prime example, inside the five yard line twice and do not score in the first quarter. The Nac game, several touch down passes dropped. This is a team full of Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors, and very few Seniors. The O line is good but are missing assignments. The defense is playing well but the offense has put them in bad situations. Coach S believes they can be a good football team if they remember what they are suppose to do on every play. The QB has a great arm and has the makings of another GOOD Carthage QB, but even he has turned the wrong way or wasn't on the same page as the receivers. I hope this game shows great improvement. The Dawgs can beat the Bears, but it will take a Dawg team focused on what the coaches are trying to get them to do.

We are up to taking up where G'water leaves off in their education. Now that will be fun.

buckeyebob
09-18-2014, 06:37 AM
No way Carthage loses by 21. We left prolly 20 points on the field, and Nac only beat us by 20. I am not saying we are going to win, but I expect a close game. We better learn to catch the ball. If not its going to be a long season. It is our goal to be balanced on offense, and we cannot be when you can't catch passes that hit you in the hands. Our defense is going to get better, and should be good enough by the end of the season to make a run. Our offense needs to catch up. We have alot of kids that are getting their first experience on varsity football. We don't have the depth as we have had the last couple of year, but we will still be a good football team by the end of the year. As for you comment we are 2-3 years away from making another run? Where are you getting your information? Carthage will back to a top 10 team next year. This year who knows. If we can beat GW, and hang with Gilmer we will be ok. If not, its going to be a long season.

Negatory...a short season...Round Ball

buckeyebob
09-18-2014, 06:40 AM

Yep...he has signed to move to Gilmer

Aggie98
09-18-2014, 07:41 AM
Yep...he has signed to move to Gilmer

That wouldn't surprise me at all.

waterboy
09-18-2014, 08:46 AM
that wouldn't surprise me at all.

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk

:spitlol:

:foul:...Wait! Which player we talkin' 'bout? The one who was arrested is done. The other would have to pass some "tests" first to get into our program.:D

cowboyandchrist
09-18-2014, 11:54 AM

Fire Away
18 new starters at this level, coach S will have this group ready by district. No matter what you see in non district. There are 7 or more players still moving around to different positions. Just wait, the Dawgs are going to be a very tuff out.

Dawgs
09-19-2014, 08:47 PM
If Carthage ever learns how to catch we will be ok. Halftime 15-13 GW. Gladewater isn't very good. We should prolly be ahead by one score. Future is bright, but idk about this season. GW way over hyped.

Dawgs
09-19-2014, 09:52 PM
Strange watching Carthage this year as a fan who has seen these Dawgs many times over the last 20 years or so. It's almost comical all the TD passes that are dropped. It's difficult to watch. Carthage has more coaches on the sidelines than players. Just something is different this year. Gladewater is up 30-13, but they aren't very good. 2 min left in the 3rd. We are definitely a spoiled fan base. Nobody is cheering, lots of negativity. Like I said strange year. Good news is future looks bright, but I'm afraid this is going to be the longest (shortest) season in Surratts tenure at Carthage.

movethechain
09-19-2014, 11:41 PM
Unbelievable that Carthage cannot complete passes. One Hail Mary at the end of the half to the endzone for a TD and another pass across the middle for a TD late in the 4th and other than that, the only passes Carthage could complete were 7-yard out routes where the receiver stops and stands still to catch the ball. It's like they can't walk and talk at the same time, only they can't run and catch at the same time. Comical is an accurate description as the game went on. It was just really unbelievable. Carthage has a good QB that can put the ball in the receivers hands, but they can't catch a cold. Really weird watching the Dawgs not execute. Gladewater is decent, but not impressive. Other than D.Mack, they are an average team and he will not be able to overcome teams with more talent that can execute.

Dawgs
09-20-2014, 12:06 AM
Unbelievable that Carthage cannot complete passes. One Hail Mary at the end of the half to the endzone for a TD and another pass across the middle for a TD late in the 4th and other than that, the only passes Carthage could complete were 7-yard out routes where the receiver stops and stands still to catch the ball. It's like they can't walk and talk at the same time, only they can't run and catch at the same time. Comical is an accurate description as the game went on. It was just really unbelievable. Carthage has a good QB that can put the ball in the receivers hands, but they can't catch a cold. Really weird watching the Dawgs not execute. Gladewater is decent, but not impressive. Other than D.Mack, they are an average team and he will not be able to overcome teams with more talent that can execute.

Good, I'm glad you were there to witness. Hey, I want to congratulate GW. They beat us, that's all there is to say. Mack is pretty fun to watch on offense. I look forward to seeing him on Saturdays. I don't want to get on here and act like GW is no good or whatever, but as you said they are average, and that's good enough to beat a below average team. Carthage is way below average. Idk how much more I'll post this season. Not because I'm sulled up or won't take my crow. I have said from the very beginning we had alot to prove and were noway the team preseason polls had us tagged as. I don't want to be the guy that's running his team down after 1 down year in 7, but that's exactly what it is. A down year. That's not a knock on anybody it's the plain and simple truth. Now with that said there was absolutely no way anybody could've predicted what is taking place on the field. I have never seen anything like it. We absolutely cannot catch anything. It's like a football movie where the guys just can't get right. It's pure comedy. We are a laughing stock of offensive mistakes right now. This is not Carthage football we homers are accustomed too. 1 thing is for sure, I appreciate everything we have won 100 times more after seeing what's taking place this year. Gilmer is going to beat us by 100. One of the main things I'm disappointed in is the fan base. We are the most spoiled fan bases ever. It was sad how quite we were tonight. Ok seriously rant over. I don't want to run down this team, community, or staff. Hey stuff happens. Some years things just don't ever seem to click. We have just been fortunate that it's been so long we forgot how it feels it what it looks like.

cowboyandchrist
09-20-2014, 08:19 AM
Good, I'm glad you were there to witness. Hey, I want to congratulate GW. They beat us, that's all there is to say. Mack is pretty fun to watch on offense. I look forward to seeing him on Saturdays. I don't want to get on here and act like GW is no good or whatever, but as you said they are average, and that's good enough to beat a below average team. Carthage is way below average. Idk how much more I'll post this season. Not because I'm sulled up or won't take my crow. I have said from the very beginning we had alot to prove and were noway the team preseason polls had us tagged as. I don't want to be the guy that's running his team down after 1 down year in 7, but that's exactly what it is. A down year. That's not a knock on anybody it's the plain and simple truth. Now with that said there was absolutely no way anybody could've predicted what is taking place on the field. I have never seen anything like it. We absolutely cannot catch anything. It's like a football movie where the guys just can't get right. It's pure comedy. We are a laughing stock of offensive mistakes right now. This is not Carthage football we homers are accustomed too. 1 thing is for sure, I appreciate everything we have won 100 times more after seeing what's taking place this year. Gilmer is going to beat us by 100. One of the main things I'm disappointed in is the fan base. We are the most spoiled fan bases ever. It was sad how quite we were tonight. Ok seriously rant over. I don't want to run down this team, community, or staff. Hey stuff happens. Some years things just don't ever seem to click. We have just been fortunate that it's been so long we forgot how it feels it what it looks like.
I could not have said it any better, it is what it is. I will pull for my Dawgs as always, but not on here. This is the best site to talk football with people who really understand high school football. The Dawgs will learn this year from their mistakes and get better. They will be back where they belong and that is competing championships, just not this year. The Dawgs have given me so much to bragg about for a long time. It just goes to show you, it is hard to stay on top every year. Congats to Gladewater on the win, The mack truck is a gamer.

Dawgs
09-20-2014, 10:29 AM
I could not have said it any better, it is what it is. I will pull for my Dawgs as always, but not on here. This is the best site to talk football with people who really understand high school football. The Dawgs will learn this year from their mistakes and get better. They will be back where they belong and that is competing championships, just not this year. The Dawgs have given me so much to bragg about for a long time. It just goes to show you, it is hard to stay on top every year. Congats to Gladewater on the win, The mack truck is a gamer.

I don't like the Cowboys, really have no ties to UT or A&M. Only team I whole heartedly root for is Carthage. It's hard to see a dynasty end like this. We might not have the talent to win state this year, but we have the talent to beat teams like GW. Like Cowboy said the Dawgs have given me plenty of bragging rights over the past 7 years. We owned a lot of teams, and have been pretty much unstoppable in the playoffs. We lost 3 playoffs games in 7 years. Got to see our kids on Saturdays playing big time football. Players of the year, coaches of the year, everything. Man that was fun. If people only knew what happened. It was an A&M type transformation. It's crazy what winning will do. If somebody would've seen our facilities just 10 years ago, and see them now you wouldn't believe it. Now it's time to go back to work and build another dynasty. Everybody has gotten a little spoiled. I'm not close enough to the team to know, but I would imagine that the players have gotten pretty spoiled too. Time to dig in, take our lumps and get our program back on top. It won't be this year, but I have no doubt we will be back where we belong, and that's competing for championships on a year in year out basis. That is the goal now in Carthage. As long as we have Surratt that will never change.

buckeyebob
09-21-2014, 07:39 AM

Typical Carthage