PDA

View Full Version : Region 3 GOTW: EL CAMPO (3-0) AT WHARTON (2-1) - THE RIVER BATTLE

Scoop27
09-13-2014, 10:36 AM
EC will be favored in this year's Wharton County River Battle-Think the Birds have won 10 plus years in a row-Don't have the series game by game which I used to on my computer
www.kulpradio.com
www.96country.com

Pudlugger
09-13-2014, 10:55 AM
El Campo will grind down the Tigers in a 20 point win for the Ricebirds.

bird_fan
09-13-2014, 02:59 PM
the tigers last win vs El Campo was in 2001.. Im a homer 6the Birds get 13th straight win over the tigers

Scoop27
09-13-2014, 04:57 PM
I'll go with 35-7.

speedbump
09-15-2014, 04:51 PM
Kevin Dove, 6'1 - 230 (4.6) and Alontae Harris, 5'10 - 175 (4.45) is the best tandem they will see this year. They won't have an answer,nor will their offense get outside often enough to make it close. Birds by 20+.

Scoop27
09-15-2014, 05:14 PM
Doubt Gillis will let his team run up the score

Weebe
09-15-2014, 08:28 PM
Doubt Gillis will let his team run up the score

Unless he and the Needville coach are friends.

Corn Cob
09-15-2014, 10:34 PM
Wharton wins this game. El Campo's reign will end in 2014. El Campo is very average (as they were last year), and Wharton's athletes will exploit that. Gillis' plain vanilla (boring) offense will go down. Just saying.

Weebe
09-15-2014, 11:44 PM
This year's El Campo team is far better than last year's team. It's honestly closer to the 2012 El Campo team than the 2013 team.

You obviously haven't seen El Campo play.

And El Campo has run a boring offense for the last 12 years vs Wharton.

speedbump
09-15-2014, 11:53 PM
Gillis nuns that vanilla offense at Wharton every year to keep the score under 100.

SHSBulldog00
09-16-2014, 12:00 AM
The cream will rise to the top. I expect A high probability of RICE SHOWERS Friday night.

bird_fan
09-16-2014, 11:01 AM
Bob Gillis and his boring offense has never lost to Wharton. He even beat Wharton when he was head coach at Columbus. That boring offense took the Bird to a state championship game. His boring offense has gotten the job done a lot better thaan any of Whartons spread teams.. boring but sucessfulfrom the way I see it.

Scoop27
09-16-2014, 11:46 AM
Hate to miss game but I will be covering Louise-Houston KIPP Generations game for the El Campo newspaper. Hornets try to go to 4-0

speedbump
09-17-2014, 10:45 PM
Corn pone must be the only one with internet service over there in Wharton.

sk1
09-19-2014, 07:23 AM
Heard thru the rumor mill that Wharton's RB Toney Rogers is out with a non football injury and that QB Joseph Krenek is out with broken ribs. Anyone else hear this?

WhartonTigers
09-19-2014, 10:26 AM
Heard thru the rumor mill that Wharton's RB Toney Rogers is out with a non football injury and that QB Joseph Krenek is out with broken ribs. Anyone else hear this?

It's true, Krenek has some rib injuries he will be out for 10 days, Toney Rogers is out for the season he had a 4 wheeler accident that was pretty bad.... Chris Green will get the start at QB, and Elliott will be the one headed monster with some help from soph. BJ Baylor...

Rogers had a full ride to SMU for Football and Track....hate to see the kid go down...

Scoop27
09-19-2014, 01:14 PM
With them out, it probably won't affect who wins the game but the margin will surely make it lopsided in favor of the Birds

speedbump
09-19-2014, 02:39 PM
El Campo will also play without two starters. Line em up and kickoff.

Scoop27
09-19-2014, 08:47 PM
El Campo 24, Wharton 7-Halftime

Scoop27
09-19-2014, 10:25 PM
Tigers pull the 28-24 upset with three unanswered touchdowns in the second half.

Weebe
09-19-2014, 10:30 PM
Embarrassing.

speedbump
09-19-2014, 10:31 PM
Embarrassing.

Very

Dub-C
09-19-2014, 10:43 PM
Really

Saggy Aggie
09-19-2014, 10:46 PM
Wow.... Krenek and Rogers out and Wharton still pulls the upset? ***...

hookandladder
09-19-2014, 10:47 PM
EC just not much better than last year, no real big surprise here.

speedbump
09-19-2014, 10:54 PM

LOL Try again.

Corn Cob
09-19-2014, 11:00 PM
Corn pone must be the only one with internet service over there in Wharton.
Hello speedbump, remember me? FYI, I'm not from Wharton. In fact I'm not from anywhere close to Wharton. I just knew that Wharton was pretty good and that y'all were pretty average. Sorry for the loss but y'all will bounce back. Great win for Wharton. Good luck to both Wharton and El Campo from here on out.

speedbump
09-19-2014, 11:08 PM
Hello speedbump, remember me? FYI, I'm not from Wharton. In fact I'm not from anywhere close to Wharton. I just knew that Wharton was pretty good and that y'all were pretty average. Sorry for the loss but y'all will bounce back. Great win for Wharton. Good luck to both Wharton and El Campo from here on out.

Wharton is pretty good but EC is hardly "pretty average" Not sure about your team though. (pick a goodun)

speedbump
09-19-2014, 11:13 PM
Wow.... Krenek and Rogers out and Wharton still pulls the upset? ***...

Looked more like El Campo was out. The Tigers wanted this win more than the Birds and they went out and got it.

Weebe
09-19-2014, 11:21 PM

How's the Texas QB situation going? Still trying to work the frat guy into the starting lineup?

SpanishCamp
09-20-2014, 04:53 AM
Wharton came out ready to play. The Birds did not. EC made mistakes I have never seen from a Ricebird team. Congrats to Wharton on a good win. Perhaps EC can learn from this loss and be better for it.

WhartonTigers
09-20-2014, 06:29 AM
Looks like corn hit it on the nail.... But great game for both teams el campo wasn't the same this year and you could see that from the first series... Wharton athletes just was too much that ec defense.....this el campo team is nowhere near the 2012 team... It was pretty one dimensional the Kevin dove show... I hope he wasn't injured too bad last night, he has a big future in football with his size and speed.. Good luck el campo in div I

hookandladder
09-20-2014, 06:46 AM
How's the Texas QB situation going? Still trying to work the frat guy into the starting lineup?

Poor Weebe, you have no clue. Its just a game. Corn cob hit the nail on the head,Congrats Wharton .

speedbump
09-20-2014, 08:05 AM
Wharton came out ready to play. The Birds did not. EC made mistakes I have never seen from a Ricebird team. Congrats to Wharton on a good win. Perhaps EC can learn from this loss and be better for it.

With a lot of young guys getting a lot of playing time,this may have been what the Birds needed. Seven or eight procedure penalties won't do it. They killed two or three drives like that. I'll bet Gillis had them out before the sun came up this AM. Talk about never having seen from a Ricebird team - how about 24 passes when your backs are averaging 7 or 8 on the ground.

This was big confidence boost for Wharton. If Finn can get that kind of effort from his guys the rest of the year they can make a deep run come playoff time.

speedbump
09-20-2014, 08:15 AM
Corn cob hit the nail on the head,Congrats Wharton .

I'll give him credit for a glancing blow and being big enough to swing at it before the house was built.

Pudlugger
09-20-2014, 10:41 AM
Well count me in with those folks who are surprised by this impressive comeback win over EC. Those spread offenses with athletes in the backfield and wr slots can do that. Gotta keep up the pressure on defense and be in top shape to run with the wideouts play after play. Sounds like EC suffered a breakdown or maybe a conditioning problem? Gillis is known for having his teams in tip top shape so I'm a somewhat uncertain. Perhaps Wharton is better than folks thought.

bird_fan
09-20-2014, 11:31 AM
Well count me in with those folks who are surprised by this impressive comeback win over EC. Those spread offenses with athletes in the backfield and wr slots can do that. Gotta keep up the pressure on defense and be in top shape to run with the wideouts play after play. Sounds like EC suffered a breakdown or maybe a conditioning problem? Gillis is known for having his teams in tip top shape so I'm a somewhat uncertain. Perhaps Wharton is better than folks thought.
In the second half the Ricebirds were their own worst enemy. most every positive gain in the second half was wiped out by penalities that usually a Ricebird team dosent commit. especially before Wharton last TD when a Ricebird fumble set the Tigers up at the Ricebird 21. Just before that a penility wiped out a Ricebird gain into Wharton terratory something the Ricebird dont do. Wharton plaayed a great game by taking advantage that what all good teams do.. Congradulations to the Tiger for ending a 12 year losing streak. The Birds will learn from tonight and be a better team for it.

bird_fan
09-20-2014, 11:43 AM
Looks like corn hit it on the nail.... But great game for both teams el campo wasn't the same this year and you could see that from the first series... Wharton athletes just was too much that ec defense.....this el campo team is nowhere near the 2012 team... It was pretty one dimensional the Kevin dove show... I hope he wasn't injured too bad last night, he has a big future in football with his size and speed.. Good luck el campo in div I

The Dove show and one dimensional maaybe you need look aat the fact 2 Ricebird TD came via the pass.. Enjoy your win but dont write off the Ricebirds just yet.. The Bird shot them selfs in the foot a lot last night with penalities... A first down here or there wiped out by penalities and it may have been a Ricebird win.
Coach Finn maaay be the best coach Wharton has had in a long time and he can possible put in a progarm at Wharton That could possibly be as sucessful as ElCampo has had

WhartonTigers
09-20-2014, 12:05 PM
Penalties are apart of the game young or old players, both teams were missing dominant starters...so the match up was even....no excuses just get better for next week. We face stafford in stafford and they are 3-0. Hopefully we can take out another undefeated team...

bird_fan
09-20-2014, 12:16 PM
Penalties are apart of the game young or old players, both teams were missing dominant starters...so the match up was even....no excuses just get better for next week. We face stafford in stafford and they are 3-0. Hopefully we can take out another undefeated team...

stating fact isnt making excuses and we will get better

Snotbubbles
09-20-2014, 03:21 PM
Birds hit a speedbump it appears. :doh: Too much speed for 'em WT? Nice win.

Snotbubbles
09-20-2014, 03:22 PM
Kevin Dove, 6'1 - 230 (4.6) and Alontae Harris, 5'10 - 175 (4.45) is the best tandem they will see this year. They won't have an answer,nor will their offense get outside often enough to make it close. Birds by 20+.

Bite of my crowburger speedbump? :spitlol:

speedbump
09-20-2014, 03:29 PM

No thanks, I'm full. I live down here ya know.

WhartonTigers
09-20-2014, 04:40 PM
I believe Dove and Harris goid rb...but Hopkins from Cuero is the best we have seen thus far ...we play Lamar Consolidated this year. Their RB is committed to Baylor......

Manso/V8
09-21-2014, 10:03 PM
I drove through Wharton on Saturday and it looked like they were having a parade with shined up convertibles.

cards4me
09-22-2014, 08:54 AM
I drove through Wharton on Saturday and it looked like they were having a parade with shined up convertibles.

It was a car show that they have been hosting in Wharton for several years. It is really a neat event. They had some very nice cars.