PDA

View Full Version : TSWA 3A All-State ?

Old Dog
01-28-2004, 09:28 AM
The 1A and 2A have been in last two days newspapers......I assume the 3A will come out Thursday???????????

As usual the Austin American Statesman had no article, just a listing tucked away on the stats page! Both teams included central Texas youngsters.

<small>[ January 28, 2004, 08:37 AM: Message edited by: Old Dog ]</small>

Old Dog
01-29-2004, 09:13 AM
3A team made the Austin paper this morning. As earlier predicted, it was heavily laden with players from play-off teams. Hopefully someone will post it on here later (I'm late to work already)! Of course there was lots of room for discussion about who earned what!

Gainesville had Purvey on 1st team, but McBath was only 2nd team......is that questionable?

<small>[ January 29, 2004, 08:17 AM: Message edited by: Old Dog ]</small>

Cat22
01-29-2004, 09:43 AM
TSWA Class 3A 2003 All-State Team

FIRST TEAM:

Offense:

Linemen - Eddie Rollman, Burnet, 6-4, 297, sr.; Nick Willson, Atlanta, 6-1, 290, sr.; Jermany Griffin, Marlin, 6-3, 288, sr.; and Kellen Heard, Wharton, 6-6, 380, sr.

Center - Eric Wilson, Abilene Wylie, 6-3, 250, sr.

Tight end - Tim Jackson, Everman, 6-3, 170, jr.

Wide receivers - Brian Christian, Decatur, 6-2, 175, jr. and Jordan Shipley, Burnet, 6-0, 180, sr.

Quarterback - Stephen McGee, Burnet, 6-4, 205, sr.

Running backs - Terrius Purvey, Gainesville, 6-1, 185; jr.; Lashon Thayer, Gatesville, 6-0, 195, sr.; and Baylen Laury, Forney, 5-9, 165, sr.

Placekicker - Brandt Goeke Bellville, 6-2, 165, sr.

Defense:

Linemen - Brian Jones, Everman, 6-1, 270, sr.; Jeremiah Chapman, China Spring, 6-4, 235, sr.; Giles Montgomery, Sweetwater, 6-4, 238, sr.; and (tie) Kelley Taylor, Burnet, 6-3, 225, jr. and Stryker Sulak, Rockdale, 6-5, 225, sr.

Linebackers - Ty Kuhn, Burnet, 6-2, 210, sr.; John Sadler, Marlin, 5-9, 215, sr.; Trey Bennett, Newton, 6-1, 215, sr.; and Andy Rickerson, Forney, 6-0, 190, sr.

Secondary - Chris Briggs, New Boston, 5-10, 175, sr.; Brian Penn, Barbers Hill, 6-1, 170, sr.; Matterial Richardson, Marlin, 6-0, 195, sr.; and Dallas Washington, Atlanta, 6-1, 195, sr.

Punter - Orlando Ochoa, Port Isabel, 6-2, 170, jr.

Kick-returner - Dallas Washington, Atlanta, 6-0, 190, sr.

Offensive Player of the Year - Jordan Shipley, Burnet.

Defensive Player of the Year - John Sadler, Marlin.

Coach of the Year - Ben Scharnberg, Atlanta.

SECOND TEAM:

Offense:

Linemen - David Chatterton, Longview Spring Hill, 6-5, 300, sr.; Kevin Shimek, Rice Consolidated, 6-1, 295, sr.; Fred Walker, Gilmer, 6-4, 330, sr.; and Rigoberto Rodela, CC West Oso, 6-3, 330, sr.

Center - Cory Ramirez, Hillsboro, 6-2, 280, sr.

Tight end - Damas Reed, Pilot Point, 6-5, 220, sr.

Wide receivers - Austin Farias, Orangefield High School, 6-1, 170, sr. and Manuel Johnson, Gilmer, 6-0, 190, jr.

Quarterback - Stephen Hodge, Tatum, 6-0, 180, jr.

Running backs - Curtis Crew, Huffman-Hargrave, 6-0, 210, sr.; Rex Harper, Kennedale, 5-8, 160, sr.; and Fred Washington, Atlanta, 5-11, 190, sr.

Placekicker - Steven Arenas, Gainesville, 5-10, 150, soph.

Defense:

Linemen - Justin Head, Merkel, 6-3, 240, sr.; Gus Horne, Giddings, 6-4, 210, sr.; Brandon Head, Merkel, 6-3, 250, sr.; and Cody McCasland, Atlanta, 5-9, 190, sr.

Linebackers - Todd Pennington, Van, 6-0, 205, sr.; Billy Henly, Dalhart, 6-0, 190, sr.; David Garcia, Hidalgo, 5-10, 185, jr.; and Scott Andrews, Graham, 6-3, 220, sr.

Secondary - D'nerian Wrighter, Marlin, 6-2, 205, sr.; Darcel McBath, Gainesville, 6-0, 165, sr.; Jordan Shipley, Burnet, 6-0, 180, sr.; and Michael Spears, Rice Consolidated, 5-9, 170, sr.

Punter - Chris Cobb, Merkel, 5-11, 170, sr.

Kick-returner - Randy Butterfield, Kermit, 5-9, 165, sr.

THIRD TEAM:

Offense:

Linemen - Cody Anderson, Waco Connally, 5-10, 212, sr.; Pat Bowen, Atlanta, 6-4, 300, sr.; SirVincent Rogers, Jasper, 6-4, 290, sr.; and Blake Woodard, Decatur, 6-1, 220, sr.

Center - (tie) Steven Blazek, Bellville, 6-3, 240, sr. and Bryson Oliver, Sweetwater, 5-10, 190, sr.

Tight end - Jamie Garcia, Diboll, 6-1, 185, sr.

Wide receivers - Cary Keys, Childress, 6-3, 180, jr. and Brandt Goeke, Bellville, 6-2, 165, sr.

Quarterback - (tie) Derek McKenzie, Gilmer, 5-11, 190, sr. and Chandler Dane, Decatur, 6-0, 190, jr.

Running backs - JoJo Rawls, Jefferson, 5-9, 180, sr.; Chris Eiland, Quinlan Ford, 5-9, 190, sr. and Cody Glenn, Rusk, 6-1, 220, jr.

Placekicker - Lance Loftin, Waco Connally, 6-1, 185, sr.

Defense:

Linemen - Kellen Head, Wharton, 6-6, 360, sr.; Corey Jones, Diboll, 6-2, 210, sr.; Jesse Ramirez, Falfurrias, 6-3, 250, sr.; and Johnathan Wilde, Decatur, 6-1, 195, sr.

Linebackers - Matthew Bussamames, Littlefield, 6-0, 200, sr.; Jeremy Frankin, Gainesville, 6-1, 190, soph.; Isaac Ramon, Snyder, 5-7, 165, sr.; and (tie) Justin Robinson, Cuero, 6-1, 215, sr. and Bryan Tarvin, Manor, 5-11, 210, sr.

Secondary - Walter Hudson, Wilmer-Hutchins, 6-1, 195, sr.; Brandon Clawson, Liberty, 6-2, 187 sr.; Johnny Lee Nieto, Port Isabel, 5-9, 160, jr.; and Riley Lambert, Merkel, 5-11, 175, jr.

Punter - Justin Brantly, Sealy, 6-4, 215, jr.

Kick-returner - Jordan Shipley, Burnet, 6-0, 180, sr.

:) Congrats Orangefield's Austin Farias for making second team receiver and to all on this list.

<small>[ January 29, 2004, 09:51 AM: Message edited by: Cat22 ]</small>

Z motion 10 out on 2
01-29-2004, 09:44 AM
I haven't been able to find the list on any websites yet, but on the local news one area player (north west texas) made the list--Scott Andrews from Graham. That means that not one Vernon player made it. They did say that my son (Matthew Gonzales of Vernon) was Honorable Mention. Which I'm proud if they at least nominated him, but if I had a vote I would have voted for Eric Favors DB, Nick Lee TE, Antonio Shelton FB, Seth Beam OL, and Brady Shiplet DL. But I'm sure these boys wouldn't trade their memories of all those victories and trophies for an All State mention.

I would like to see the list because we played against some great players.

Z motion 10 out on 2
01-29-2004, 09:45 AM
Ok well there is the list above!

JasperDog94
01-29-2004, 09:55 AM
I have a difficult time with a guy that was a finalist for 3A player of the year for Dave Cambell only making the third team.

SirVincent Rogers, Jasper, 6-4, 290

You are now entering the Twilight Zone...(cue errie music) eek! eek!

Z motion 10 out on 2
01-29-2004, 10:05 AM
There are so many good players here in Texas that it is hard to give them all their proper credit. I know that the Vernon players could play with many of these all state players because they did.

3afan2K3
01-29-2004, 11:54 AM
Congrats to Baylen Laury, Andy Rickerson and everyone else who made the list

Keith7
01-29-2004, 11:56 AM
3afan2K3:
Congrats to Baylen Laury, Andy Rickerson and everyone else who made the listyou need to go to school

CatsDen
01-29-2004, 12:46 PM
While I agree that there are many deserving players and the players that were listed may be deserving...they have guys getting credit for positions that they haven't even played! Tim Jackson from Everman getting 1st team TE is completely ridiculous!!! He didn't even play tight end AND Everman never had any tight do anything for them! Tim Jackson is definitely a talented player AT WR! He's got good hands, good speed, good size...this is no knock on Tim Jackson, but the TSWA are idiots like all the others. How did they come to the conclusion that Tim Jackson deserves credit as the state's best 3A tight end? Everman does not list him as a tight end, and he does not play TE. I would not argue if they had given him credit as one of the state's best WRs. I don't know much about Damas Reed so I cannot argue for or against his 2nd team status at TE. I expected to see Jamie Garcia's name listed, although he played more as a receiver in Diboll's spread offense. I have accepted that the All-State and All-Area awards are terrible for acknowledging the players that deserve it most. Once again...frsutrated with the selections for post season awards.

Keith7
01-29-2004, 12:58 PM
CatsDen:
While I agree that there are many deserving players and the players that were listed may be deserving...they have guys getting credit for positions that they haven't even played! Tim Jackson from Everman getting 1st team TE is completely ridiculous!!! He didn't even play tight end AND Everman never had any tight do anything for them! Tim Jackson is definitely a talented player AT WR! He's got good hands, good speed, good size...this is no knock on Tim Jackson, but the TSWA are idiots like all the others. How did they come to the conclusion that Tim Jackson deserves credit as the state's best 3A tight end? Everman does not list him as a tight end, and he does not play TE. I would not argue if they had given him credit as one of the state's best WRs. I don't know much about Damas Reed so I cannot argue for or against his 2nd team status at TE. I expected to see Jamie Garcia's name listed, although he played more as a receiver in Diboll's spread offense. I have accepted that the All-State and All-Area awards are terrible for acknowledging the players that deserve it most. Once again...frsutrated with the selections for post season awards.PPHSFan will have a cow if i am wrong, but i coulda sworn Damas Reed played Running back.. and wasnt even that great of one at that

Z motion 10 out on 2
01-29-2004, 12:59 PM
CatsDen:

I knew going in that Rex Harper was a good running back and he showed it against Vernon, but who I was most impressed with was #15 the corner. He was all over my son (split end) and played better than any other corner on my boy all year and that includes Dallas Washington of Atlanta who was also very good. If he is a senior I hope he gets a chance to play at the next level.

CatsDen
01-29-2004, 01:03 PM
Z...that would be Marcos Ramirez and he did have a good season. He had one game with 4 interceptions and a touchdown return. Rex was an outstanding RB and deserves all of the accolades rewarded to him.

Keith, I thought the same thing about Damas, but I can't say for certain.

Brian Jones (DL, Everman) definitely deserves the recognition! That guy looks like solid muscle and full of aggression (the perfect DL).

BigW
01-29-2004, 01:57 PM
Congratulations Eric Wilson for All state center and to the rest of the players.
If you really want to see politics look at the 6-3a all district selections. Eric is listed as 2nd team. He is probably the best lineman in the district, offense and defense and is deserving of the All state. So, how can you be all-state and not All district?

booger1
01-29-2004, 02:02 PM
CatsDen:
I expected to see Jamie Garcia's name listed, although he played more as a receiver in Diboll's spread offense. He was on the 3rd team with DL Corey Jones. We also had 3 more on the HM team!

CatsDen
01-29-2004, 02:02 PM
BigW...check out the 8-3A All District selections and you will see the same situation. How does Jackson qualify as All-State TE, but Giorgio Bositce was the best TE (All District) in the district? The least these Sportswriters could do is confirm the players positions. If they want to reward a WR, but can't find room to fit him in at that position...maybe they should re-evaluate their picks. If they want to make a "Top 50 3A Players", then they should just eliminate the positions all together and make a "Top 50" list.

<small>[ January 29, 2004, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: CatsDen ]</small>

BigW
01-29-2004, 02:07 PM
I agree, all of these selections are excellent for the players but they are only a small groups "opinion" or at the district level just a group of coaches that give "one for you, one for me"

Z motion 10 out on 2
01-29-2004, 02:12 PM
Absolutley correct. I will tell you who is all state-- The Atltana Rabbs and Gainsville Leops. The entire team will get rings! What an honor that would be.

Keith7
01-29-2004, 02:17 PM
CatsDen:
Z...that would be Marcos Ramirez and he did have a good season. He had one game with 4 interceptions and a touchdown return. Rex was an outstanding RB and deserves all of the accolades rewarded to him.

Keith, I thought the same thing about Damas, but I can't say for certain.

Brian Jones (DL, Everman) definitely deserves the recognition! That guy looks like solid muscle and full of aggression (the perfect DL).AFter doin some Research, Damas was Primarly a Wide Reciever, he did share some time at running back too.. But not tight end..
he was 1st All-District Wide Receiver

CatsDen
01-29-2004, 02:48 PM
So 2 of the 3 Tight Ends honored never even played tight end! And this only took a few message posts and less than 2 hours to "research"! It is outrageous to find that so little is done to reward the right players that deserve recognition as the best at THEIR POSITION! This is just at the Tight End position and 2 out of the 3 definitely do not belong...how many other position players are getting robbed at their position?!

letsgo
01-29-2004, 03:59 PM
What i dont understand is how Ty Kuhn from Burnet could get Ap defensive player of the year which he deserved but not thswa defensive player of the year. John Sadler was nowhere near Kuhn when it came to stats or he wouldnt have been honorable mention behind Kuhn. Kuhn finshed the year with 222 tackels if someone knows Sadlers please tell me. Sadler even has an extra game to catch Kuhn.

Old Dog
01-29-2004, 04:50 PM
All this just shows how different opinions can turn out to be!

OMHO, I would trade being all-state in a minute to wear a championship ring.

Bottom line, both are nice but one is opinion and the other is fact!

Atl_Rabb_Fan
01-29-2004, 08:18 PM
Congrats to all the Players who made the list. But even bigger congrats to all the ATL Rabbs that made it. Plus a big congrats to Coach Shurnburg for making coach of the year.

Gilmer Buckeye
01-29-2004, 08:35 PM
Gilmer QB Derek McKenzie was a finalist for Dave Campbell's 3A offensive player of the year. I think he should have been at least on the second team rather than tied for third team QB.

Congrats also to Manuel Johnson and Fred Walker who made the second team. Manuel is coming back.

I don't envy those who had to pick this team. There are a lot of good players who were deserving of these high honors.