PDA

View Full Version : How bad is Texas?

Weebe
09-11-2014, 11:33 PM
After watching UH give BYU a tough game this evening, i didn't think it could be much worse.

But this is hilarious.

http://www.burntorangenation.com/2014/9/11/6136441/did-ut-reach-out-to-former-high-school-qb-and-regular-college-kid

Weebe
09-11-2014, 11:36 PM
Sorry, this link is even better:

http://totalfratmove.com/you-know-the-texas-qb-situation-is-grim-when-a-fraternity-intramural-star-is-added-to-the-roster/

movethechain
09-11-2014, 11:53 PM
Some of these are recycled, but still funny.

Charlie Strong on one of his players:
"He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear.
In fact, I just saw his grades and he doesn't know the meaning
of a lot of words."

Why do Texas fans wear orange?
So they can dress that way for the game on Saturday
go hunting on Sunday,
and pick up trash on Monday.

What does the average Texas player get on his SATs?
Drool.

How many Longhorn freshmen football players does it take to change a light bulb?
None. That's a sophomore course.

A Texas football player was almost killed
yesterday in a tragic horseback-riding accident.
He fell from a horse and was nearly trampled to death.
Luckily, the manager of the Wal-Mart came out and unplugged the horse.

What do you say to a Texas
football player dressed in a three-piece suit? "
"Will the defendant please rise."

How can you tell if a Longhorn football player has a girlfriend?
There's tobacco juice on both sides of the pickup truck.

University of Texas Coach Charlie Strong is only going
to dress half of his players for the game this week;
The other half will have to dress themselves.

Why did the Texas linebacker steal a police car?
He saw "911" on the side and thought it was a Porsche.

How do you get a former Longhorn football player off your porch?
Pay him for the pizza.

Gen.Pat
09-12-2014, 06:34 AM
Cold but since I detest UT I enjoyed it.

orange machine
09-12-2014, 08:38 AM
It's going to take Strong a few recruiting classes to fix what is broken. I don't think Texas will be a big player for 3 or 4 years.

movethechain
09-12-2014, 08:42 AM
So, you are sayin he ain't no Sumlin?

lv2937
09-12-2014, 08:49 AM
Sumlin had good players all ready there when he came. Strong didn't.

orange machine
09-12-2014, 08:53 AM
This

movethechain
09-12-2014, 08:57 AM

How is that possible? Mack always had the best pick of the litter for recruiting commitments every year.
I saw many of the players on Texas roster when they were in High School and they were the best of the best.

Sville
09-12-2014, 09:06 AM
How is that possible? Mack always had the best pick of the litter for recruiting commitments every year.
I saw many of the players on Texas roster when they were in High School and they were the best of the best.

Mack & Co. were great at recruiting but terrible at developing players. Sumlin inherited player s from Mike Sherman who did a much better job of developing players.

movethechain
09-12-2014, 09:20 AM
Mack & Co. were great at recruiting but terrible at developing players. Sumlin inherited player s from Mike Sherman who did a much better job of developing players.

I believe this is accurate.

orange machine
09-12-2014, 09:41 AM
I think Strong if given time will turn the program around.

Caprocker
09-12-2014, 09:45 AM
there were butt loads of top recruits there when he arrived..i guarantee sumlin had/has less.. and im a UT fan..just not a very happy one right now..

caleb_mccaig
09-12-2014, 09:47 AM
I think Strong if given time will turn the program around.

I don't think so. I think his "no tolerance" approach is a big turn off. It's one thing if you inherit an already winning team and put that mentality in there, but when you're a team that sucks big time, no one wants to go there and not even be able to have any fun off of the field.

Is an athlete going to go to Texas where winning probably won't happen for 4-5 years and be under a microscope 24/7, or would he rather go to A&M or another SEC school where he is competing for a National Championship and can get arrested for a PI and maybe not miss any playing time at all? It's really a no brainer.

Gobbler Fan
09-12-2014, 10:08 AM
The funniest thing is Texas A&M or Sumlin for that matter has NEVER won anything of relevance in Football. They are winning the recruiting battle so crown them for that :rolleyes:. They were owned in the Big 12 and now that they moved to a 'stronger' Conference they're all that and a bag of chips. Enjoy riding the coattails of the SEC Aggies. Maybe if Alabama wins another Championship they'll let you borrow the Trophy after all they are in your Conference. Right?

Macarthur
09-12-2014, 10:09 AM
I think Strong is in a really bad spot. I think he's a good coach but he's stuck in a situation now because Sumlin is just killing it. If Sumlin moves at some point, he could turn the tide, but given the choice right now, there is no question who the HS kids in Texas seem to favor. Then you couple that with Baylor having some momentum, it's a tough time.

Having said that, there are enough good football players in the State of Texas that UT should not be getting their ass handed to them at home by BYU. That's really troublesome.

Saggy Aggie
09-12-2014, 10:30 AM
The funniest thing is Texas A&M or Sumlin for that matter has NEVER won anything of relevance in Football. They are winning the recruiting battle so crown them for that :rolleyes:. They were owned in the Big 12 and now that they moved to a 'stronger' Conference they're all that and a bag of chips. Enjoy riding the coattails of the SEC Aggies. Maybe if Alabama wins another Championship they'll let you borrow the Trophy after all they are in your Conference. Right?
Lol A&M is just scratching the surface bud

Future looks bright though...

Sville
09-12-2014, 10:52 AM
Unfortunately for TAMU fans like myself Sumlin we prolly be gone to the NFL in next 2-3 years.

OldBison75
09-12-2014, 10:55 AM
Take off the Aggie/Longhorn glasses and look at some real thoughts about the situations at both schools.
Charlie Strong came into a program that was filled with recruits that had underachieved under Mack and company and were very undisciplined.
Texas athletes were given rules to live and play by and many revolted and were either released from the program or punished in other ways.
Strong had to install a system filled with athletes that were not his style of players and many of them did not want to play in a system they did not fit.
Texas has had a recent history of being out of control and that is a tough mentality for anyone to change overnight.
Now, two games into the season, Strong is faced with several projected starters that have been released from the program or have been injured including his starting QB.

As for A & M:
Sumlin inherited a group of quality athletes that were suited to a style of offense that fit his program.
A & M was changing conferences and because of the controversy that caused, players in the program were challenges to prove they belonged in that spotlight.
Sumlin was a coach that was already familiar to the athletes in Texas high schools and ran a system that was exciting.
At TAMU, the athletes immediately bought into the Sumlin system and there was no revolt.

Results:
Charlie Strong is a very good coach and will turn the program at Texas around in time. They will be a disciplined program that will be consistent winners when he has the athletes that fit his scheme. I, for one, appreciate the fact that he demands that his players be good role models and good students first.

Sumlin and TAMU will be winners for a long time. They may not be champions every year and may not win a National Championship, but they will be very competitive every year. If the defense continues to improve at the pace they have between the first game with Sumlin and now, they have a chance to be in the NC picture very soon.

Let's all forget the petty hatred between the two schools and remember that the only competition that exist now is for the NC and recruits and it is time to be football fans and forget about the rivalry that does not exist anymore.

My 2cents!!!!

slpybear the bullfan
09-12-2014, 11:13 AM
Take off the Aggie/Longhorn glasses and look at some real thoughts about the situations at both schools...

Let's all forget the petty hatred between the two schools and remember that the only competition that exist now is for the NC and recruits and it is time to be football fans and forget about the rivalry that does not exist anymore.

My 2cents!!!!

ROFL... Good Luck!

YTBulldogs
09-12-2014, 11:26 AM

Some difference between HS and college. Look at Swoopes. Like it is from college to pros. RG3, JF.

coach
09-12-2014, 11:32 AM

Who pissed in your cherrios this morning? You are right, winning 20 games in 2 years, a heisman trophy winner, and stomping a mudhole in the Big whatever's "best" team is irrelevant.

LV_Bearfan
09-12-2014, 11:37 AM

Conclusion: You are really sore about A&M doing well.

Saggy Aggie
09-12-2014, 11:52 AM
Some difference between HS and college. Look at Swoopes. Like it is from college to pros. RG3, JF.

Lol Johnny hasn't even played a regular season game yet and you're already suggesting he'll be a bust? C'mon...

Saggy Aggie
09-12-2014, 12:13 PM
I remember when they moved my A&M thread to the college sports forum....

coach
09-12-2014, 12:34 PM
i remember when they moved my a&m thread to the college sports forum....

lmao

Saggy Aggie
09-12-2014, 01:07 PM
I could see Texas winning at least 2, probably 3/4 but maybe as many as 5 games this year if things really go their way.

:-)

Any bowl game should earn chuck coach of the year.

Weebe
09-12-2014, 01:38 PM

You mad, bro?

Face it, you guys have been Franned.

New Taiton
09-12-2014, 01:49 PM
It's going to take Strong a few recruiting classes to fix what is broken. I don't think Texas will be a big player for 3 or 4 years.

Unfortunately for Coach Strong, this is not his area of expertise. When he was hired, instead of getting a small uptick in recruiting, Texas' class fell apart. The currently committed 2015 class of Texas is very average and most of the top recruits in the state are giving Texas the time of day.

The funniest thing is Texas A&M or Sumlin for that matter has NEVER won anything of relevance in Football. They are winning the recruiting battle so crown them for that . They were owned in the Big 12 and now that they moved to a 'stronger' Conference they're all that and a bag of chips. Enjoy riding the coattails of the SEC Aggies. Maybe if Alabama wins another Championship they'll let you borrow the Trophy after all they are in your Conference. Right?

Fire up the Delorean, take us for a ride, and tell us how good Texas used to be. Keep thinking that our team is the same as 2008 team that lost to Arkansas State at home.

Unfortunately for TAMU fans like myself Sumlin we prolly be gone to the NFL in next 2-3 years.

Maybe. Coach Sumlin has pledged $500,000 towards the Kyle Field/Bright Complex rennovations. He understands what he can do in College Station and I think he will stay around long enough to do good things.

Macarthur
09-12-2014, 01:55 PM
UT is going to have a hell of a time with TCU and Tech

Remaining Schedule:
UCLA - Loss
Kansas - Win
Baylor - Loss
Oklahoma - Loss
Iowa State - win
KSU - toss up
TT - toss up
WV - Toss up
OSU - Loss
TCU - Toss up

I think the absolute BEST they could do would be 7-5 and that would mean they would have to win 3 or 4 games in a row at some point in the season. And Take it from GP and TCU who lead the Big 12 in defense last year, if you don't have good QB play, you are just not going to reel off 4 wins in a row. I think they're staring at 6-6 and that would probably be a pretty good coaching job by Strong.

YTBulldogs
09-12-2014, 02:17 PM
Lol Johnny hasn't even played a regular season game yet

My point to original post, about Texas getting some good HS players. Just cause a kid is good in HS don't translate into a stud college player. And, same for a college stud into the pro's. I didn't write no one off. Just saying, it's no automatic a kid will do well at next level up.

orange machine
09-12-2014, 02:18 PM
UT is going to have a hell of a time with TCU and Tech

Remaining Schedule:
UCLA - Loss
Kansas - Win
Baylor - Loss
Oklahoma - Loss
Iowa State - win
KSU - toss up
TT - toss up
WV - Toss up
OSU - Loss
TCU - Toss up

I think the absolute BEST they could do would be 7-5 and that would mean they would have to win 3 or 4 games in a row at some point in the season. And Take it from GP and TCU who lead the Big 12 in defense last year, if you don't have good QB play, you are just not going to reel off 4 wins in a row. I think they're staring at 6-6 and that would probably be a pretty good coaching job by Strong.

If Swoops is the Qb the only 2 teams I see the beating is Iowa State and Kansas. Not a knock on him, but he is not a qb at this level. Although I'm doing everything I can to keep Heard out of the lineup this year.

Saggy Aggie
09-12-2014, 02:22 PM
Like I said, probably 3-4 wins.

YTBulldogs
09-12-2014, 02:33 PM
Like I said, probably 3-4 wins.

At best, 4 wins. And, I'm a Longhorn fan. Long year and Swoopes can't do it, even if we had all the starters in there from OL, and now Shipley.

YTBulldogs
09-12-2014, 02:35 PM
Put Hookandladders boy in there.:thumbsup:

Weebe
09-12-2014, 03:10 PM
I'm honestly hoping the intramural kid gets to play.

1st and goal
09-12-2014, 06:55 PM

Another butthurt UT fan...He's mad because his season tickets are worthless....

Gen.Pat
10-11-2014, 02:28 PM
Boomer Sooner Big Red wins the Red River Shootout .

Saggy Aggie
10-11-2014, 02:54 PM
Oklahoma severely overrated

regaleagle
10-11-2014, 03:37 PM
OU has no offense, but special teams and a speedy receiver. Texas has a very good defense, but the offensive staff seems to be disorganized. That doesn't help the UT offense.

cougartino
10-11-2014, 07:20 PM
Mistakes by the Strong (lack of clock management) coupled with turnovers and lousy special teams play killed the Horns. But they are not far away from being a factor again.

hollywood
10-11-2014, 07:35 PM
Mistakes by the Strong (lack of clock management) coupled with turnovers and lousy special teams play killed the Horns. But they are not far away from being a factor again.

Agree with you cougartino

Scoop27
10-11-2014, 09:24 PM
Next Saturday's game will be on Longhorn Network, so have to listen to Craig Way on the internet

Celina8
10-12-2014, 08:43 AM
Here is what I am seeing from the Longhorns, a team that is very very young, but is getting better each game. They are still making mistakes but trust me if they continue to progress as they are doing now, Texas will be powere house. The offensive line continues to get better along with Swoops and no team can play Texas and think it will be an easy win. This year is about progression and getting this huge Tanker turned in the right direction. As a Longhorn fan I am pretty pleased today.

BB BULLS
10-12-2014, 08:54 AM

you are right on coug the clock management was really really bad, cant win games like that.

Gen.Pat
10-12-2014, 05:23 PM
Charlie a great coach and he will have the Longhorns back next year or two.