PDA

View Full Version : Mouthpiece and gag reflex

Cam
09-10-2014, 12:58 PM
Anybody ever have to deal with gagging due to mouthpiece?....If so, how did you stop it or minimize it?
My freshman has been dealing with it since two-a-days. Didn't have this problem last year...He's just been sucking it up as best he can...We've tried different mouthpieces and even trimmed them down.....Just bought him a Shock Doctor & a Nike mouthpiece. He will try them tonight....His dentist said they could make him a custom mouthpiece to the tune of $278.00 with no guarantees it will work......I can tell how it's affected him during the games. Was watching his video of last game...on one play while playing DB, he started to gag while running, kept reaching for his mouthpiece, and got so distracted the receiver took advantage and clocked him!....Anyways, any advice would be appreciated....

buff4ever
09-10-2014, 01:01 PM
Have him come help me paint. He can paint with mouthpiece in until he quits gagging

oldtownag
09-10-2014, 01:11 PM
Boil it in strong cherry kool aid or another flavor of his liking.

cboycansurvive
09-10-2014, 01:12 PM
Have him come help me paint. He can paint with mouthpiece in until he quits gagging

Look up a custmbite mouthpiece. They run around $15 but mold completely to the teeth and you don't even know it is in there. You have to pull it off of your teeth. Follow the directions closely and make sure to suck in on the mouthpiece while biting down after of course you have boiled it. Guarantee you it will work.

greendawg84
09-10-2014, 01:12 PM

That right there is funny !

Trim a little bit off the back so its not hitting the ole gag button thats what I had to do for CTF .

Cam
09-10-2014, 01:21 PM
Look up a custmbite mouthpiece. They run around $15 but mold completely to the teeth and you don't even know it is in there. You have to pull it off of your teeth. Follow the directions closely and make sure to suck in on the mouthpiece while biting down after of course you have boiled it. Guarantee you it will work.

Is that what you used? Sounds like it's worth a try! Thanks!

Cam
09-10-2014, 01:22 PM
That right there is funny !

Trim a little bit off the back so its not hitting the ole gag button thats what I had to do for CTF .

Done tried the trimming idea...no work!....this is all your fault Greendawg!!....

Cam
09-10-2014, 01:23 PM

...I thought you were finished with that buffalo??.....now I'm gonna have to start pickin' on ya again!!!.......:D

Cam
09-10-2014, 01:26 PM
Boil it in strong cherry kool aid or another flavor of his liking.

I have heard mouthwash helps too...worth a shot as well......we'll experiment tonight....I may have to go with cboycansurvive's advice and order one of them custmbites!....

Cam
09-10-2014, 05:31 PM

Hey cboy, just wanted to thank you again! I sent this company an email with questions. In less than 10 minutes I received a phone call from the owner/inventor himself! Guys name is Dr. Monroe Elkin. We talked for almost an hour. Dude is a sports nut. Really interesting fellow. Knows a whole bunch of folks in the sports world. One of his best friends in former Giant LB Harry Carson!...In fact, he told me that Harry told him he will not allow his grandsons to play football. Apparently, Harry has had his issues with memory loss, etc. and blames it on the game he played for so long. Dr. Elkin and his company will be introducing a crazy mouthpiece onto the market next year. It's been under testing for over a year now. Some of ya'll may have seen this in TV. This mouthpiece will be "wired" to monitor all the vital statistics every time contact is made with the player wearing it. This will allow trainers to keep a closer eye on possible head injuries....this technology is getting crazy!!.....He told me the price is still being negotiated...but will probably run around $150.00. It took him and his chemist sidekick 18 years to develop the current mouthpiece. He thinks the reason my son gags so much is because very few mouthpieces will stay in place in the mouth. Such as Shock Doctor. Their mouthpiece conforms to the mouth and stays in place. Another cool thing about it is you can reform it if you wish and use it for several years. Anyways, he stuck one in the mail for me. Hopefully, it solves a big problem. If anybody else is interested: www.custmbite.com

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-11-2014, 01:08 AM
I had this issue during my playing days at Port Isabel. The best thing you can do to remedy it is cut off about a 1/2 inch from each end of the mouthpiece. After I did that, no gag reflex.

It took me up until my Freshman year to figure it out. Gagging to the point of barfing in front of a Mission Sharyland linemen (and him going "eew!") on the field was the turning point for me. At least he was so grossed out it led to me sacking the QB on a pass attempt. But still, gagging to the point of barfing NO ES BUENO! "Is no good" for you non-Spanglish speakin' folks.

pancho villa
09-11-2014, 07:57 AM
Ask a woman from Ingleside they don't gag on anything.

coach
09-11-2014, 10:36 AM
My wife has the same issue with the gag reflex, albeit its not when she sticks a mouthpiece in her mouth. :crazy1:

Cam
09-11-2014, 12:48 PM
Ask a woman from Ingleside they don't gag on anything.

....:eek:...I ain't touchin' that one!!....I could....but I ain't!!....

Cam
09-11-2014, 12:51 PM
My wife has the same issue with the gag reflex, albeit its not when she sticks a mouthpiece in her mouth. :crazy1:

oh wow....her toothbrush makes her gag?....it could just be the toothpaste and not the brush itself......:crazy1:

....and if you were referrin' to something different....well, let's just say I'm feelin' a little jealous!....:eek:

Cam
09-11-2014, 01:09 PM
I had this issue during my playing days at Port Isabel. The best thing you can do to remedy it is cut off about a 1/2 inch from each end of the mouthpiece. After I did that, no gag reflex.

It took me up until my Freshman year to figure it out. Gagging to the point of barfing in front of a Mission Sharyland linemen (and him going "eew!") on the field was the turning point for me. At least he was so grossed out it led to me sacking the QB on a pass attempt. But still, gagging to the point of barfing NO ES BUENO! "Is no good" for you non-Spanglish speakin' folks.

Cutting off part of the mouthpiece is done by many...but it's usually not recommended to alter the mouthpiece.....if you barfed in front of a Sharyland player, GOOD!!...them Sharyland folks are just a bunch of prima-donna's anyways!!...it's also the only place white folks live down there cause the Mexicans ran em' off everywhere else!!...."Oh Harold honey, we seriously need to consider moving! That new neighbor of ours, Pedro, was watering his trees and starting licking his thick mustache when he saw me pull up the driveway! Let's move to Sharyland! I'm skeered!"..........:D........just kiddin' folks, just kiddin'....I got a cousin who lives in Sharyland...He's a Texas Ranger...he and his family were recently in the hill country....thinking about moving here......I was like, "please move here cuz, we need that boy of yours!!!..and you and I can go fishing all the time!".........His soph. son is a stud QB!.....:doh:

coach
09-11-2014, 01:33 PM
oh wow....her toothbrush makes her gag?....it could just be the toothpaste and not the brush itself......:crazy1:

....and if you were referrin' to something different....well, let's just say I'm feelin' a little jealous!....:eek:

I guess I will switch from Colgate to Crest

greendawg84
09-11-2014, 02:58 PM
....:eek:...I ain't touchin' that one!!....I could....but I ain't!!....

Nope , I aint touching that one either .....

Cam
09-11-2014, 03:29 PM
Nope , I aint touching that one either .....

....why do all my threads take a turn for the worse??.....:doh:

Txbroadcaster
09-11-2014, 03:53 PM
Grant has the same problem when he is using Intern Nohe's mouthpiece

cboycansurvive
10-01-2014, 11:09 AM
Hey cboy, just wanted to thank you again! I sent this company an email with questions. In less than 10 minutes I received a phone call from the owner/inventor himself! Guys name is Dr. Monroe Elkin. We talked for almost an hour. Dude is a sports nut. Really interesting fellow. Knows a whole bunch of folks in the sports world. One of his best friends in former Giant LB Harry Carson!...In fact, he told me that Harry told him he will not allow his grandsons to play football. Apparently, Harry has had his issues with memory loss, etc. and blames it on the game he played for so long. Dr. Elkin and his company will be introducing a crazy mouthpiece onto the market next year. It's been under testing for over a year now. Some of ya'll may have seen this in TV. This mouthpiece will be "wired" to monitor all the vital statistics every time contact is made with the player wearing it. This will allow trainers to keep a closer eye on possible head injuries....this technology is getting crazy!!.....He told me the price is still being negotiated...but will probably run around $150.00. It took him and his chemist sidekick 18 years to develop the current mouthpiece. He thinks the reason my son gags so much is because very few mouthpieces will stay in place in the mouth. Such as Shock Doctor. Their mouthpiece conforms to the mouth and stays in place. Another cool thing about it is you can reform it if you wish and use it for several years. Anyways, he stuck one in the mail for me. Hopefully, it solves a big problem. If anybody else is interested: www.custmbite.com

Did you ever get the mouthpiece issue resolved?

Cam
10-01-2014, 11:53 AM
Did you ever get the mouthpiece issue resolved?

YES!...ordered the mouthpiece made by CustoMbite!...he loves it.....and, you can reshape it if you need to...part of the problem with the other mouthpieces is they don't stay in place....this one sticks to the top of his mouth...fits like a custom tray...The inventor of this mouthpiece, Dr. Elkin, saw my email to the company and called me. He was most helpful. If I'm not mistaken, he is now a member of the Downlow all the way from Florida....guess he wants to know what crazy people in Texas are like!!...:crazy1: