PDA

View Full Version : University of Texas vs. UCLA in Arlington

Scoop27
09-10-2014, 12:33 PM
Wonder if Longhorn and UCLA fans fill AT&T Texas Stadium up on Saturday.
As big as Longhorn fan that I am, this game will get ugly early.
The offense was almost non existent last Saturday against BYU.
Need to throw the ball down field more and run outside.

Saggy Aggie
09-10-2014, 12:40 PM
56-7 ucla

1st and goal
09-10-2014, 01:48 PM
I predict the fans leaving at the half. UT fans anyway.

coach
09-10-2014, 01:50 PM
I predict the fans leaving at the half. UT fans anyway.

UCLA has struggled this season too. I think it will be a good game. Coach Strong will have his guys ready to play after last weeks embarrassment.

New Taiton
09-10-2014, 04:40 PM
Agree with Coach.

UCLA has not been as good as they were supposed to be.

Swoopes did not look terrible last week.

Game will be closer than a lot of people think, I think.

Saggy Aggie
09-10-2014, 04:50 PM
Closer is a relative term.

A lot of oeople think it'll be 65-0. I think it'll be closer, 56-7 ish....

Scoop27
09-11-2014, 01:03 PM
Ill go with 45-10-Horn defense isn't that bad

Rabid Cougar
09-11-2014, 03:33 PM
UCLA runs the ball.....Comparable to the BYU score last week.

hookandladder
09-11-2014, 07:52 PM
Yes judging by last weeks game this could end up the same however a team with a new coaching staff and a very young OL you just never know, hoping the OL starts to get better game by game. My son made the travel team , so no matter what I am going and will enjoy it no matter the outcome. How many parents have that opportunity to see their son on a major D 1 team, it is just a dream come true no matter which university . Hookem

FB-fanatic
09-11-2014, 10:11 PM
Yes judging by last weeks game this could end up the same however a team with a new coaching staff and a very young OL you just never know, hoping the OL starts to get better game by game. My son made the travel team , so no matter what I am going and will enjoy it no matter the outcome. How many parents have that opportunity to see their son on a major D 1 team, it is just a dream come true no matter which university . Hookem

Very cool and congrats Hookandladder! Good luck!

Scoop27
09-11-2014, 10:20 PM
The Eyes Of Texas Are Upon you and your son and family

Macarthur
09-12-2014, 08:38 AM
Houston playing BYU within 8 on the road in Provo does not bode well for UT. This could get ugly.

Saggy Aggie
09-12-2014, 08:44 AM
Houston playing BYU within 8 on the road in Provo does not bode well for UT. This could get ugly.

Well they did hit a Hail Mary before half....

Rabid Cougar
09-12-2014, 10:36 AM

It is a very heady experience. Followed my oldest all over the county for 4 years even when he was only on special teams his freshman year. You will, however, you start watching games and being critical of play calling and such just like you did in high school. Bad football is hard to watch. No matter if you son is on the sidelines or not. I had plenty of good and bad at UNT.

OldBison75
09-12-2014, 01:17 PM
Don't be surprised if this game is a one score game. Last week was a fluke game for Texas and this week they will be better. Mark my words, Texas will play much better this week. My prediction is 24-17 UCLA.

New Taiton
09-12-2014, 01:52 PM
Mark my words, Texas will play much better this week

Don't go out on a limb or anything......how much worse could it get?

OldBison75
09-12-2014, 04:40 PM
Don't go out on a limb or anything......how much worse could it get?

Okay, you understood what I was saying!!!!!!!!! Better than last week would almost be just showing up - lol.

hookandladder
09-12-2014, 05:01 PM
It is a very heady experience. Followed my oldest all over the county for 4 years even when he was only on special teams his freshman year. You will, however, you start watching games and being critical of play calling and such just like you did in high school. Bad football is hard to watch. No matter if you son is on the sidelines or not. I had plenty of good and bad at UNT.

I truly understand where you are coming from however after watching my wife coach for close to 20 years I have learned to just sit back and let the coaches coach, not saying I agree all the time however I have learned over the years every coach has his own coaching style. I do not ever want to be that ignorant fan in the stands talking **** about a coach, there is nothing worse than sitting next or close to that crap.

Roughneck93
09-13-2014, 07:15 PM
Here we go...http://emoticoner.com/files/emoticons/smileys/scared-smiley.gif

Roughneck93
09-13-2014, 07:53 PM
:doh:....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OMYxh8QozY&sns=em

regaleagle
09-13-2014, 07:58 PM
Swoopes is S-L-O-W as Matilda...is NOT a starting type D1 qb, imo. Need to put Heard in asap, if at all possible. He probably don't know the playbook yet, though.

Saggy Aggie
09-13-2014, 08:08 PM
LMAO... Seriously?

Roughneck93
09-13-2014, 08:26 PM
Nice....

http://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/695732/texas2.0.gif

Roughneck93
09-13-2014, 08:27 PM
:clap:

Roughneck93
09-13-2014, 08:32 PM
Stupid penalty.

Saggy Aggie
09-13-2014, 08:39 PM
Good first half for Texas. If they can come out and score quick, they will really take it out of UCLA. Who gets the ball to start the 2nd half? LOL

Roughneck93
09-13-2014, 09:03 PM
Damn....

Saggy Aggie
09-13-2014, 09:09 PM
UCLA backup qb just threw a TD... Lol

Neuheisel vs swoopes... Qb matchup we've all dreamed of

Roughneck93
09-13-2014, 10:09 PM
Texas answers...

Roughneck93
09-13-2014, 10:12 PM
Lol...

Gus Johnson: “Tyrone Swoopes! Vince Young 2.0!....maybe!”

:eek:

Roughneck93
09-13-2014, 10:14 PM
Fumble!!

Roughneck93
09-13-2014, 10:18 PM
Wow, great return by UCLA.

Saggy Aggie
09-13-2014, 10:19 PM
And NEUHEISEL answers.... LOL

Roughneck93
TD on the very next play...:dispntd:

Saggy Aggie
Wow, great return by UCLA.

That boy got laid the TF out....

Saggy Aggie
09-13-2014, 10:23 PM
Lol, swoopes played well all game long and then threw one into the turf on 4th down in the biggest moment of his career...

Scoop27
09-13-2014, 10:31 PM
Close but no cigar-Poor clock management and bad pass defense proved costly for the Horns

Roughneck93
09-13-2014, 10:31 PM
Lol, swoopes played well all game long and then threw one into the turf on 4th down in the biggest moment of his career...

Terrible throw.

Roughneck93
09-13-2014, 10:32 PM
:foul:

http://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/695780/uclatd.0.gif

Rabid Cougar
09-14-2014, 08:50 AM
:foul:

http://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/695780/uclatd.0.gif

I approve of this highlight video! :cheerl:

Macarthur
09-14-2014, 10:50 AM
Close but no cigar-Poor clock management and bad pass defense proved costly for the Horns

Why did they go hurry up there at he end ?

Saggy Aggie
09-14-2014, 11:24 AM
Why did they go hurry up there at he end ?

My guess is because the up tempo offense had worked the drive before when they scored a TD and was the only time their offense had showed any signs of life in the game...

Even though they burned 40 secs with three plays, i dont blame the offensive staff. If they had tried to milk the clock and still lost, people would complain about that too... so meh.

OldBison75
09-14-2014, 11:59 AM
There is a ton of positives from this game. Swoopes played pretty darned well for his second game. Also, the defense showed signs of actually stopping someone. The running game looked decent. I told you this would be a better game and Strong and staff brought this team a very long stride from last week.

Saggy Aggie
09-14-2014, 12:22 PM
There is a ton of positives from this game. Swoopes played pretty darned well for his second game. Also, the defense showed signs of actually stopping someone. The running game looked decent. I told you this would be a better game and Strong and staff brought this team a very long stride from last week.

Also, Hundley went out injured... So that helped....

OldBison75
09-14-2014, 03:54 PM
Also, Hundley went out injured... So that helped....

Texas was playing with their second team QB too so that is a wash, LOL. I am not sure Ash would have made any difference though.

Scoop27
09-14-2014, 09:19 PM
Longhorns couldn't covert after they got their fumble recovery

Saggy Aggie
09-14-2014, 10:20 PM
Texas was playing with their second team QB too so that is a wash, LOL. I am not sure Ash would have made any difference though.

I wouldn't call losing a heisman contender and future 1st round draft pick in the first qtr a wash... Especially since swoopes has been practicing with the first team the last 2 weeks...

Macarthur
09-15-2014, 02:27 PM
Okay, I'm just going to throw this out there.

Is anyone else perplexed by Hundley not going back in the game? It sounds like he's not going to miss sig time. It was even tweeted that UCLA listed him as 'probable' at halftime. Sounds like the dude make a 'business decision' and I don't like that. It's not your throwing arm. If he lines up first play this weekend, I'm pretty ticked if I'm a UCLA fan. I would be really ticked if Texas had won that game.

http://www.ocregister.com/ucla/hundley-635061-left-injury.html

Scoop27
09-15-2014, 03:55 PM
What exactly happened during the bizarre Texas-UCLA coin toss?
Sep 14, 4:35 AM

ARLINGTON – One of the strangest things that happened in the Texas Longhorns' 20-17 loss to No. 12-ranked UCLA Saturday night at AT&T Stadium took place even before the game started.

UCLA won the coin toss and the Bruins deferred to the second half. With the option to take the ball or kick off, the Longhorns chose to kick the ball off and play defense. The referee insinuated to both Texas captains – senior defensive tackle Desmond Jackson and senior running back Malcolm Brown – playing defense would mean they'd have to kick the ball off to open the game and likely after halftime.

Jackson appeared to confirm with Brown that playing defense is what they wanted to do, so Jackson told the referee the Longhorns wanted to be on defense first. The move cost the Longhorns a possession since UCLA wisely chose to receive the ball to start the third quarter.

After the game, Texas head coach Charlie Strong discussed the snafu.

“You know, I think that what happened, one of our guys got nervous,” Strong said. “I said to him, I said, 'What happened?' He said, 'I don't know, Coach. I was just so hyped up and I just' – they looked at me, and they said, 'You want to receive the ball or do you guys want to play defense?' And he was like,
'Oh, we want to play defense.'”

Strong didn't take the choice of the captains very well.

“I said, 'We lost the toss,'” Strong said.

Brown was made available to the media after the game, but he he declined to discuss what happened during the coin toss.

1st and goal
09-15-2014, 05:40 PM
I heard you can get tickets pretty cheap these days...

hookandladder
09-16-2014, 06:17 AM
I heard you can get tickets pretty cheap these days...

Great, if you come across some cheap that are good seat make sure you let me know.

Txbroadcaster
09-16-2014, 06:58 AM
Okay, I'm just going to throw this out there.

Is anyone else perplexed by Hundley not going back in the game? It sounds like he's not going to miss sig time. It was even tweeted that UCLA listed him as 'probable' at halftime. Sounds like the dude make a 'business decision' and I don't like that. It's not your throwing arm. If he lines up first play this weekend, I'm pretty ticked if I'm a UCLA fan. I would be really ticked if Texas had won that game.

http://www.ocregister.com/ucla/hundley-635061-left-injury.html

Your making the assumption HE made the call. I would bet that it was the coaches that held him out.

Macarthur
09-16-2014, 07:52 AM
Your making the assumption HE made the call. I would bet that it was the coaches that held him out.

That's certainly possible, but the official tweet from UCLA said his return was probable.

Txbroadcaster
09-16-2014, 10:27 AM
That's certainly possible, but the official tweet from UCLA said his return was probable.

What most likely happened was as the game went along his elbow got stiff and they decided to play it safe.

Macarthur
09-16-2014, 12:41 PM
You could be right, but if I'm a UCLA fan and they lost that game, I would be pissed. You think guys like Baugh, Staubach, Aikman, Stabler, etc. would have left a big game with a 'minor' hyperextension of their non-throwing arm?

BwdLions
09-16-2014, 04:52 PM
The Horns are struggling on offense because there have been nine offensive players dismissed or suspended. I think that makes a big difference (not only in this game, but for the year). At least Strong is getting this thing turned around. I don't mean with wins at this point, but the overall character and toughness of the team is slowly changing. Mack Brown's laziness the past three years hasn't made it easy for Strong to come in and be successful. It will pay off if folks are patient with Charlie.

Scoop27
09-16-2014, 09:42 PM
Might take 3-4 years for the program to be real successful

BwdLions
09-17-2014, 09:03 AM
That's very true Scoop.

Macarthur
09-17-2014, 09:33 AM
Might take 3-4 years for the program to be real successful

Yep. You can be happy all you want about discipline, etc. But college football is about recruiting. That's what will make him or break him.

BwdLions
09-17-2014, 10:41 AM
Yep. You can be happy all you want about discipline, etc. But college football is about recruiting. That's what will make him or break him.

That's very true Mac. It all starts with recruiting (as far as I'm concerned). After you get 'em on campus, you hope they're coachable and you have right coaches to get the most out of them. Of course keeping them out of trouble is a big concern these days too.

Rabid Cougar
09-17-2014, 10:46 AM
What exactly happened during the bizarre Texas-UCLA coin toss?
Sep 14, 4:35 AM

ARLINGTON – One of the strangest things that happened in the Texas Longhorns' 20-17 loss to No. 12-ranked UCLA Saturday night at AT&T Stadium took place even before the game started.

UCLA won the coin toss and the Bruins deferred to the second half. With the option to take the ball or kick off, the Longhorns chose to kick the ball off and play defense. The referee insinuated to both Texas captains – senior defensive tackle Desmond Jackson and senior running back Malcolm Brown – playing defense would mean they'd have to kick the ball off to open the game and likely after halftime.

Jackson appeared to confirm with Brown that playing defense is what they wanted to do, so Jackson told the referee the Longhorns wanted to be on defense first. The move cost the Longhorns a possession since UCLA wisely chose to receive the ball to start the third quarter.

After the game, Texas head coach Charlie Strong discussed the snafu.

“You know, I think that what happened, one of our guys got nervous,” Strong said. “I said to him, I said, 'What happened?' He said, 'I don't know, Coach. I was just so hyped up and I just' – they looked at me, and they said, 'You want to receive the ball or do you guys want to play defense?' And he was like,
'Oh, we want to play defense.'”

Strong didn't take the choice of the captains very well.

“I said, 'We lost the toss,'” Strong said.

Brown was made available to the media after the game, but he he declined to discuss what happened during the coin toss.

And these are SENIORS with the ref telling them what they wanted to do.! They have been playing since they were 6 years old. IDIOTS!

My PEEWEE TEAMS knew they wanted the ball on coin flips.

1st and goal
09-17-2014, 01:27 PM
I'm all for Coach Strong's attempt to instill discipline.

I actually wonder if any recruits may have been "turned off" by some of the shenanigans that some of the players brought to the team? Some boy'z mamas wouldn't look to kindly seeing their kids go into a locker room environment that had a shady element.

Macarthur
09-17-2014, 02:42 PM

I actually wonder if any recruits may have been "turned off" by some of the shenanigans that some of the players brought to the team? Some boy'z mamas wouldn't look to kindly seeing their kids go into a locker room environment that had a shady element.

I think that's wishful thinking. Look, it's been born out for years and year. You don't win big in the NCAA with recruiting guys that are choir boys. It's a sad truth, but a truth nonetheless. The trick, as Sumlin is finding out, is how to balance bringing in the top talent and keeping them out of the police blotter.

Rabid Cougar
09-17-2014, 03:10 PM

They don't want to play D1 football then because that element is everywhere.

New Taiton
09-17-2014, 03:45 PM
You don't win big in the NCAA with recruiting guys that are choir boys.

100% correct.

You want to win a NC? Sign top 5 recruiting classes year in and year out.

No team has won the NC with a bunch of "coached up" "diamonds in the rough".

Recruiting the sole reason why I think Coach Strong is going to need 5-7 years to turn the program around. He has 0 recruiting momentum and is recruiting against Briles and Sumlin who both showcase skill players and have a more "relaxed" atmosphere which is an exact 180 from his bootcamp mentality.

Time will tell...

Emerson1
09-18-2014, 10:32 AM
100% correct.

You want to win a NC? Sign top 5 recruiting classes year in and year out.

No team has won the NC with a bunch of "coached up" "diamonds in the rough".

Recruiting the sole reason why I think Coach Strong is going to need 5-7 years to turn the program around. He has 0 recruiting momentum and is recruiting against Briles and Sumlin who both showcase skill players and have a more "relaxed" atmosphere which is an exact 180 from his bootcamp mentality.

Time will tell...

Eh. Texas currently has the 17th ranked class. Baylor despite their success is still barely cracking the top 50. OU is still behind Texas. A&M is the only team that Strong has to really worry about. Texas coaches are meeting with every top player in the state over the course of this week. Could see some stuff happening as far as verbals go soon. This years class will be swayed by where Malik Jefferson ends up.

Parents have a lot of influence too. I would bet there are a good number who would rather them go to a place where there is actually some sort of discipline.

Rabid Cougar
09-18-2014, 12:52 PM
Parents will overlook a lot if the right school comes knocking.....

Rabid Cougar
09-18-2014, 03:15 PM
This just came in and illustrates another aspect of prospect's decision making no matter who the school is....playing time.

"June 19th was a big day for the Cedar Hill duo of Damarkus Lodge and linebacker Richard Moore as both chose A&M after a recent College Station visit. Fast forward three months, and only one of those pledges remains as Lodge made the decision Friday morning to reopen his recruitment.

Lodge may have reservations about a depth chart that currently contains a number of freshmen in the 2-deep, including Speedy Noil, Ricky Seals-Jones, and Frank Iheanacho. Even with wide receivers coach David Beaty's willingness to rotate players at the position, Lodge apparently couldn't be convinced that A&M was the best spot for him."

http://www.goodbullhunting.com/2014/9/18/6416933/damarkus-lodge-decommits-texas-am-aggies-wide-receiver-recruiting

Saggy Aggie
09-19-2014, 01:47 PM
This just came in and illustrates another aspect of prospect's decision making no matter who the school is....playing time.

"June 19th was a big day for the Cedar Hill duo of Damarkus Lodge and linebacker Richard Moore as both chose A&M after a recent College Station visit. Fast forward three months, and only one of those pledges remains as Lodge made the decision Friday morning to reopen his recruitment.

Lodge may have reservations about a depth chart that currently contains a number of freshmen in the 2-deep, including Speedy Noil, Ricky Seals-Jones, and Frank Iheanacho. Even with wide receivers coach David Beaty's willingness to rotate players at the position, Lodge apparently couldn't be convinced that A&M was the best spot for him."

http://www.goodbullhunting.com/2014/9/18/6416933/damarkus-lodge-decommits-texas-am-aggies-wide-receiver-recruiting

Sumlin now going after Tyron johnson who's ranked higher than lodge nationally anyways.

1st and goal
09-19-2014, 02:20 PM

Yes, there's problems when you have depth. But, if the top guys move on after their sophomore year, it opens things up. If you are good enough, you'll start or get playing time. Look how many frosh are getting snaps right now.

Interested to see how this Tyron Johnson thang goes.

BwdLions
09-19-2014, 03:13 PM
Sumlin now going after Tyron johnson who's ranked higher than lodge nationally anyways.

I guess that's the next stop for the Sumlin and his Swag Copter.

New Taiton
09-19-2014, 03:29 PM
I guess that's the next stop for the Sumlin and his Swag Copter.

I hop so. The swagcopter is still undefeated.....

Gen.Pat
09-20-2014, 09:59 AM
Charlie Strong got a ruff row to hoe at Texas.