PDA

View Full Version : Tony Romo should be IRRELEVANT this season....

slpybear the bullfan
09-10-2014, 10:09 AM
...because we should be RUNNING THE BALL.

Sorry, but when you have assembled a line that awesome and a back like Murray to carry the rock, we should not even be forced to read the traditional FF-Mac-TR debates. Run the ball. And when you get done running the ball, run it again. And when you are tired of running the ball, run it again.

IMHO Tony's interceptions weren't even his biggest issue on Sunday. It was that audible off the run on 2 and 1 from the 2. He said they brought an extra man up. Guess what... run it anyway. They weren't stopping you. And if you think you cant squeak out a yard on the ground, then all that big talk about how this team was built to run the ball is for naught. In that situation, Tony should be handcuffed and told to run it.

*grr*

Bullaholic
09-10-2014, 10:32 AM

Sorry, but when you have assembled a line that awesome and a back like Murray to carry the rock, we should not even be forced to read the traditional FF-Mac-TR debates. Run the ball. And when you get done running the ball, run it again. And when you are tired of running the ball, run it again.

IMHO Tony's interceptions weren't even his biggest issue on Sunday. It was that audible off the run on 2 and 1 from the 2. He said they brought an extra man up. Guess what... run it anyway. They weren't stopping you. And if you think you cant squeak out a yard on the ground, then all that big talk about how this team was built to run the ball is for naught. In that situation, Tony should be handcuffed and told to run it.

*grr*

Agree, Slpy--but as long as Garrett and JJ continue to stroke his fur and pay him the big bucks, he could paint himself blue and play naked with a feather in his butt plus throw 5 picks, and they would find a way to put a positive "spin" on it.

Macarthur
09-10-2014, 10:40 AM

There is no doubt they should be running more. It's a real mystery why they are not.

*grr*

I would not say MORE of a mistake; the picks were awful, but yes, checking out of a run play there was a mistake. But more than that, I think it shows the flaw in the JG philosophy. Romo has had JG for virtually all his career. It is very clear that JG is clearly a pass first offensive mind and if the defense even hints at bringing an extra guy close to the LOS, you must pass. It is frustrating. We've been told all along that they typically call run/pass options and how the defense aligns dictates how Romo is supposed to go. I agree with your point in situations like that, they should have run/run options. If they creep a guy close to the LOS, run to the other side. It almost like you hear baseball managers talk about having to always use lefties against RH hitters. Some managers live and die by those old baseball axioms.

Macarthur
09-10-2014, 10:42 AM
And the other point about running the ball is that it requires fewer drop backs by Romo. I truly believe his back is not good. I don't know how someone could see how he threw the ball Sunday and not think his back is right. His mechanics got progressively worse as the game went on and he clearly has no endurance in the back.

Farmersfan
09-10-2014, 10:44 AM

*grr*

You only say this because of the lack of success they have had running the ball in the past. In today's NFL you aren't going to win if you can't throw the ball any more than you can win if you can't run the ball. Teams can shut down the run way easier than they can shut down the pass. Also if the NFL addresses the holding and illegal contact by the defense like they claim they are it should open up a whole new level of success for passing teams. I do think the Cowboys must show they can run when they need to but this isn't 1993 when Emmitt Smith could RUN you into a Superbowl....

Farmersfan
09-10-2014, 10:48 AM
There is no doubt they should be running more. It's a real mystery why they are not.

I would not say MORE of a mistake; the picks were awful, but yes, checking out of a run play there was a mistake. But more than that, I think it shows the flaw in the JG philosophy. Romo has had JG for virtually all his career. It is very clear that JG is clearly a pass first offensive mind and if the defense even hints at bringing an extra guy close to the LOS, you must pass. It is frustrating. We've been told all along that they typically call run/pass options and how the defense aligns dictates how Romo is supposed to go. I agree with your point in situations like that, they should have run/run options. If they creep a guy close to the LOS, run to the other side. It almost like you hear baseball managers talk about having to always use lefties against RH hitters. Some managers live and die by those old baseball axioms.

The irony is optioning out of the run on the goal line is only a problem if the pass play they option to fails. It's more about execution than it is play selection. If I remember correctly Williams was running wide open on the slant right before Romo threw the interception....

slpybear the bullfan
09-10-2014, 11:09 AM
I hear ya. But there is no way you should thow that ball on 2 and 1 from the 2. Check off to another run option. Or go up under center and gain the yard. Your OLINE will do that for you. No one, credible or not, has done anything but criticize that decision on that play. Except JG and TR. That should tell you all you need to know. And yes, Mac, probably agree with you that it speaks to the Pass-minded mentality of JG and TR. They need to break themselves of that a bit. They told us all off-season that they would.

And I get it... you cannot win in the NFL without throwing the ball. Key point though is that forcing the D to move 8 men in the box to stop the run does nothing but good things for this passing game. Dez in man coverage? Whitten chipping off and getting open on a play action? Yes. Good things happen when you make the D respect the run.

Macarthur
09-10-2014, 11:12 AM
The irony is optioning out of the run on the goal line is only a problem if the pass play they option to fails. It's more about execution than it is play selection. If I remember correctly Williams was running wide open on the slant right before Romo threw the interception....

Sure, Romo made a poor read in addition to a poor throw. And good execution would have most likely resulted in a TD.

My problem is more of establishing an identity. SF is one of the most physical teams in the league and you have been punching them in the mouth on the drive. All of the sudden, you get cute and try to outsmart. I agree completely with your point about this being a passing league, but I do think there is something to establishing a mentality of being physical. That was a perfect opportunity to support the lip service paid all off season about being more physical and running the ball.

Farmersfan
09-10-2014, 01:49 PM
Sure, Romo made a poor read in addition to a poor throw. And good execution would have most likely resulted in a TD.

My problem is more of establishing an identity. SF is one of the most physical teams in the league and you have been punching them in the mouth on the drive. All of the sudden, you get cute and try to outsmart. I agree completely with your point about this being a passing league, but I do think there is something to establishing a mentality of being physical. That was a perfect opportunity to support the lip service paid all off season about being more physical and running the ball.

agreed

EagleEye
09-11-2014, 02:52 PM
Go Eagles!!!!

cougartino
09-11-2014, 04:25 PM
Tony Throw-mo is what head coach Jones wants.

LH Panther Mom
09-11-2014, 07:52 PM
Agree, Slpy--but as long as Garrett and JJ continue to stroke his fur and pay him the big bucks, he could paint himself blue and play naked with a feather in his butt plus throw 5 picks, and they would find a way to put a positive "spin" on it.
Maybe he should try that. :D Okay...maybe not the naked part. :p

slpybear the bullfan
09-12-2014, 11:18 AM
Lol!

maybe he should try that. :d okay...maybe not the naked part. :p