PDA

View Full Version : Columbine (NOT FOOTBALL)

sinton66
09-16-2003, 09:05 AM
Subject: Columbine

Guess our national leaders didn't expect this, hmm? On Thursday, Darrell Scott, the father of Rachel Scott, a victim of the Columbine High School shootings in Littleton, Colorado, was invited to address the House Judiciary Committee's subcommittee. What he said to our national leaders during this special session of Congress was painfully truthful. They were not prepared for what he was to say, nor was it received well. It needs to be heard by every parent, every teacher, every politician, every sociologist, every psychologist, and every so-called expert! These courageous words spoken by Darrell Scott are powerful, penetrating, and deeply personal. There is no doubt that God sent this man as a voice crying in the wilderness. The following is a portion of the transcript:

"Since the dawn of creation there has been both good & evil in the hearts of men and women. We all contain the seeds of kindness or the seeds of violence. The death of my wonderful daughter, Rachel Joy Scott, and the deaths of that heroic teacher, and the other eleven children who died must not be in vain.
Their blood cries out for answers."

"The first recorded act of violence was when Cain slew his brother Abel
out in the field. The villain was not the club he used. Neither was it the NCA, the National Club Association. The true killer was Cain, and the reason for the murder could only be found in Cain's heart."
"In the days that followed the Columbine tragedy, I was amazed at how
quickly fingers began to be pointed at groups such as the NRA. I am not a member of the NRA. I am not a hunter. I do not even own a gun I am not here to represent or defend the NRA - because I don't believe that they are responsible for my daughter's death. Therefore I do not believe that they need to be defended. If I believed they had anything to do with Rachel's murder I would be their strongest opponent."

"I am here today to declare that Columbine was not just a tragedy-it was a spiritual event that should be forcing us to look at where the real blame lies! Much of the blame lies here in this room. Much of the blame lies behind the pointing fingers of the accusers themselves. "I wrote a poem just four nights ago
that expresses my feelings best. This was written way before I knew I would be speaking here today":

Your laws ignore our deepest needs, Your words are empty air.
You've stripped away our heritage, You've outlawed simple prayer.
Now gunshots fill our classrooms, And precious children die.
You seek for answers everywhere, And ask the question "Why?"
You regulate restrictive laws, Through legislative creed.
And yet you fail to understand, That God is what we need!

"Men and women are three-part beings. We all consist of body, soul, and
spirit. When we refuse to acknowledge a third part of our make-up, we
create a void that allows evil, prejudice, and hatred to rush in and wreak havoc. Spiritual presences were present within our educational systems for most of our nation's history. Many of our major colleges began as theological seminaries. This is a historical fact. What has happened to us as a nation? We have refused to honor God, and in so doing, we open the doors to hatred and violence.
And when something as terrible as Columbine's tragedy occurs - politicians immediately look for a scapegoat such as the NRA. They immediately seek to pass more restrictive laws that contribute to erode away our personal and private liberties. We do not need more restrictive laws.

"Eric and Dylan would not have been stopped by metal detectors. No amount of gun laws can stop someone who spends months planning this type of massacre. The real villain lies within our own hearts. Political posturing and restrictive legislation are not the answers. The young people of our nation hold the key. There is a spiritual awakening taking place that will not be squelched! We do not need more religion. We do not need more gaudy television evangelists spewing out verbal religious garbage. We do not need more million dollar church buildings built while people with basic needs are being ignored. We do need a change of heart and a humble acknowledgment that this nation was founded on the principle of simple trust in God!"

"As my son Craig lay under that table in the school library and saw his
two friends murdered before his very eyes-He did not hesitate to pray in school. I defy any law or politician to deny him that right! I challenge every young person in America, and around the world, to realize that on April 20, 1999, at Columbine High School! lo prayer was brought back to our schools. Do not let the many prayers offered by those students be in vain. Dare to move into the new millennium with a sacred disregard for legislation that violates your God-given right to communicate with Him. To those of you who would point your finger at the NRA - I give to you a sincere challenge. Dare to examine your own heart before casting the first stone!

My daughter's death will not be in vain! The young people of this
country will not allow that to happen!"

Do what the media did not - - let the nation hear this man's speech.
Please send this out to everyone you can!!!

<small>[ September 16, 2003, 09:05 AM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

Chris Hart
09-16-2003, 02:59 PM
I agree with the man 100%!

whtfbplaya
09-16-2003, 03:10 PM
Great post.

cubs
09-16-2003, 04:34 PM
He's right - I'm not a big fan of guns - but the guns didn't fo it by themselves. May I add - we must have parents who will step up and take resposibility for and an active partin raising their children and teach those same children there are consequences for their actions. I am still having a hard time believing that these parents ha no clue that their children were up to such evil. Talk about uninvolved. I know what's in my son's room - if it's in my house - it is surely my business. I am still stunned at the ignorance some parents plead.

spiveyrat
09-17-2003, 06:45 AM
Interesting how I had to see this on a football chat site instead of on the news.

Thanks for sharing.

Jimbotex40
09-17-2003, 07:55 AM
i dont get how he blames government people.

the only blame belongs to the kids who did it, and theyre no longer with us so theres no one still alive to blame.

JKLL
09-17-2003, 05:49 PM
If my memory serves me right the reason you did not hear this on the recent news is because it happened soon after the Columbine tragedy. It DID make the national news at that time.

JasperDog94
09-17-2003, 06:02 PM
Jimbotex40:
i dont get how he blames government people.

the only blame belongs to the kids who did it, and theyre no longer with us so theres no one still alive to blame.The point he was trying to make was that the government has taken God out of the schools with all the restrictions and rules. Had God been prayed to on a more regular basis in the school, maybe (and I stress maybe) those guys would have had the chance to hear God's Word and the good news it proclaims. True prayer to God comes from the heart. Unfortunately, heart is something those guys didn't have. frown

Jimbotex40
09-17-2003, 07:21 PM
yeah, that makes more sense, i kinda thought he was pointing the finger solely at the govt.

now i kinda understand where hes coming from.

Vrabird
09-17-2003, 07:57 PM
Amen,Amen,Amen. May I say I'm a member of the NRA and finally someone has the guts to say the truth! You can have all the laws in the world to abolish guns, but if the wrongdoers want to commit an act of violence they will find a way to accomplish it. The only people that will suffer from the abolishment of firearms is the law abiding citizens(and hunters). The criminals cherish such a law!!!

Bandera YaYa
09-17-2003, 08:12 PM
My heart goes out to Mr. Scott...he had the faith to say the truth...God Bless him.

Our school tried to install a dress code that prohibited long t-shirts and loose pants. The reasoning was that someone could hide a knife or gun under the shirt. A parent came in, had his shirt tucked in, belted jeans and the committee said yes, he was fine, students could dress like that....only to have him lift up his jeans leg and remove a six inch knive from inside his sock. It"s this kind of ignorance that will get our kids killed.

Peace and Ya Ya.

BrahmaMom
09-17-2003, 08:39 PM
Amen. Mr. Scott said it all. Too bad his daughter had to die for these words to be spoken. I pray they are not in vain.

CentralTxFan
09-17-2003, 08:49 PM
This is for anyone who grew up in a small town. I didn't but my husband did and so this is really his story.

Do you remember the days when everyone had gun racks in the back window of their pick-up trucks? Do you remember a time when there was NOT a gun of some sort in that gun rack? My husband said the best part of going back to school after Christmas vacation, yes called Christmas vacation, was to show everyone at lunch your new gun. For days on end the boys would gather at each others pick-ups to see who had the best new gun at school.

Did they take those guns out of those gun racks, go into the school, and start shooting everyone in sight? I don't think so! When did everything in this country change? Why did everything change?

I grew up with guns all around me and never once did the thought even cross my mind to shoot anyone, not even my parents, with any of them. As a matter of fact, my dad had EVERY single one of his guns loaded, in an UNLOCKED gun cabinet, in the living room! I shudder to think what would happen to him today if he were still alive and child protective services were to come to our house for a visit! What a shame the direction of this country has taken!

All of this said, I want to add that I am not a particular fan of guns but I see the need for them. No matter what is done to gun control laws, the guns will find their way into the hands of the criminals. This is a fact. Guns do not kill people, people USING guns kill people. How many of us have sub machine guns sitting in our homes? Not many decent law abiding citizens do, I would bet!

Okay everyone..sorry for the soapbox. I just had to get that off my chest!

aamove
09-17-2003, 10:45 PM
Thank You Sinton66 for starting this thread. It is amazing to think that this brave man had the guts to tell his family's story. When we put God aside we put aside hope. Thanks again

spiveyrat
09-18-2003, 06:48 AM
JKLL:
If my memory serves me right the reason you did not hear this on the recent news is because it happened soon after the Columbine tragedy. It DID make the national news at that time.You're probably right. It was just written in a way that had me believe it was a recent event.

sinton66
09-18-2003, 08:32 AM
Here's another that goes hand in hand with what this man was saying. The human author of this one is unknown.

You say you will never forget where you were when you heard the news On September 11, 2001. Neither will I.
I was on the 110th floor in a smoke filled room with a man who called his wife to say "Good-bye".
I held his fingers steady as he dialed.
I gave him the peace to say, "Honey, I am not going to make it, but it is OK... I am ready to go."

I was with his wife when he called as she fed breakfast to their children.
I held her up as she tried to understand his words and as she realized he really wasn't coming home that night.

I was in the stairwell of the 23rd floor when a woman cried out to Me for help, for the very first time in her life.
"I have been knocking on the door of your heart for 50 years!" I said.
"Of course I will show you the way home - only believe in Me now."

I was at the base of the building with the Priest ministering to the injured and devastated souls.
I took him home to tend to his Flock in Heaven.
He heard my voice and answered.

I was on all four of those planes, in every seat, with every prayer.
I was with the crew as they were overtaken.
I was in the very hearts of the believers there, comforting and assuring them that their faith has saved them.

I was in Texas, Kansas, London... I was everywhere..
I was standing next to you when you heard the terrible news.
Did you sense Me?

I want you to know that I saw every face.
I knew every name - though not all know Me.
Some met Me for the first time on the 86th floor.
Some sought Me with their very last breath.
Some couldn't hear Me calling to them through the smoke and flames;
"Come to Me... this way ... take my hand." Some had never heard my voice before.
And a few chose, for the final time, to ignore Me.

But, I was there.

I did not place you in the Tower that day.
You may not know why, but I do.
However, if you were there in that explosive moment in time, would you have reached for Me?

September 11, 2001 was not the end of the journey for you.
But someday your journey will end.
And I will be there for you as well.
Seek Me now while I may be found.
Then, at any moment, you know you are "ready to go"

...I will be in the stairwell of your final moments.

Love,
God

<small>[ September 18, 2003, 08:45 AM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>