View Full Version : Cowboys vs 49ers

Roughneck93
09-07-2014, 10:48 AM
It's game day...:cheerl:

Thoughts and predictions?

Dallas by 1...;)

Cam
09-07-2014, 11:06 AM
The Boys will surprise today....especially the defense...who is playing defense anyways?...:vrycnfsd:....Cowboys win by 6!

Rabid Cougar
09-07-2014, 11:18 AM
mediocrity continues. :flaming:

zebrablue2
09-07-2014, 11:30 AM
Niners by 10.

bobcat1
09-07-2014, 01:24 PM
My head says 27-10 49'ers but my heart is with Dallas. Keep the Defibrillators handy.

Roughneck93
09-07-2014, 01:55 PM
Eagles and Redskins both losing...:2thumbsup

:eek:...

http://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/688416/karatesteeler.0.gif

eagleqb_14
09-07-2014, 02:13 PM
praying

SintonFan_inAustin
09-07-2014, 03:27 PM
yay start out 2014 with a false start! lol

nice pass by Romo

Roughneck93
09-07-2014, 03:29 PM
Oh boy...:doh:

SintonFan_inAustin
09-07-2014, 03:29 PM
and a fumble. Somehow somebody will say its Romo fault

SintonFan_inAustin
09-07-2014, 03:43 PM
:dispntd:2nd and 1 from the 2, nice call by the off. coord

eagleqb_14
09-07-2014, 03:59 PM

Roughneck93
09-07-2014, 04:00 PM
Wow....

SintonFan_inAustin
09-07-2014, 04:12 PM
Wow....
Is there still a chance for a comeback?

Roughneck93
09-07-2014, 04:17 PM
Is there still a chance for a comeback?

Lol, not a chance.

Gobbler Fan
09-07-2014, 04:19 PM
Why oh why are we stuck with The Romo 'choke' show another year... Jerry Jones is why :dispntd:

Saggy Aggie
Lol he just threw another pick.

Maybe those 2 INTs are his fault tho?

SintonFan_inAustin
Lol, not a chance.

now its over. Well guess time get some work done for the morning. Atleast Cowboys are letting us know early its going to be a long season.

Saggy Aggie
09-07-2014, 04:20 PM
Can't wait to hear FF's analysis

Roughneck93
09-07-2014, 04:37 PM
:foul:

Gobbler Fan
09-07-2014, 04:37 PM
just wow :dispntd:

SintonFan_inAustin
09-07-2014, 04:43 PM
Can Aikman still qb? atleast he might throw the ball away and we get to punt

Cam
09-07-2014, 04:44 PM
http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j347/burnet2/finger-vomiting-spewing-puppet-green-1275579860t.jpg (http://s1081.photobucket.com/user/burnet2/media/finger-vomiting-spewing-puppet-green-1275579860t.jpg.html)

....this is all Greendawg's fault!......

Scoop27
09-07-2014, 04:48 PM
Cowboys digging themselves in a deep hole

SintonFan_inAustin
09-07-2014, 04:48 PM
couple of 0-16 seasons and draft for defense and look towards 2016 for a chance of a playoff team. Trade Romo while he may still have some value for young NFL defensive players.

Gobbler Fan
09-07-2014, 04:49 PM
Why do we even have a punter all we have to do is give it to Romo and let him throw interceptions and we can save Jones some money.

Cam
09-07-2014, 04:52 PM
.....maybe now this goose, a die hard Cowboys fan, will go back to Canada!!...:doh:

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j347/burnet2/ILUTGzY.jpg (http://s1081.photobucket.com/user/burnet2/media/ILUTGzY.jpg.html)

Cam
09-07-2014, 04:57 PM
....what's with all this negativity???......are we ready to witness one of the greatest comebacks in Cowboys history??.......

bobcat1
09-07-2014, 04:59 PM
My head says 27-10 49'ers but my heart is with Dallas. Keep the Defibrillators handy.
Scratch that. I say 60-6 49ers. What a sloppy team. Romo looks as bad as ever if not worse. That last pick was on 2nd down from the 2 right?

I'd keep Murray, the O-Line, Witten, Bryant, T. Williams. fire Garrett and everyone on defense including Claiborne and Carr. The rest on defense are just JV players anyway.

Saggy Aggie
09-07-2014, 05:02 PM
Lol I'm loving this

What about that romo contract extension?

SintonFan_inAustin
09-07-2014, 05:05 PM
Lol I'm loving this

What about that romo contract extension?pay most of it if it brings back some young or atleast one young defensive talent. Bring back Jimmy! lol

JJWalker
09-07-2014, 06:25 PM
I bet Jerry is wishing he had turned in that draft card right about now.

bobcat1
09-07-2014, 06:50 PM

Scratch that. I say 60-6 49ers. What a sloppy team. Romo looks as bad as ever if not worse. That last pick was on 2nd down from the 2 right?

I'd keep Murray, the O-Line, Witten, Bryant, T. Williams. fire Garrett and everyone on defense including Claiborne and Carr. The rest on defense are just JV players anyway.
Close with my first prediction of 27-10. Last TD was in cleanup. Pitifully coached team. Horrible QB/Decision maker today.... just like his whole career. Brain just falls out. Defense did okay when Sa Fran wasn't desperate to score. They kinda coasted in the 2nd half.

On a bright note I did see a player play his guts out today. Unfortunately it was JJ Watt playing for Houston. AND he did this after he got paid. :2thumbsup

hollywood
09-07-2014, 08:01 PM
I'm a life long Cowboy's fan. I've never been a Romo fan. Not even in his miraculous above his talent season. I didn't buy into the hype. Jerry sure did and now here we are. Laughing stock of the NFL. Everyone knows it, even JJ! He'll never admit though. I'll still wear my blue and silver. I'll just focus on patience for the future. :dispntd:

cougartino
09-07-2014, 09:31 PM
This was the first time ever stopped watching a Cowboys game at the half. I couldn't stomach any more.

Eagle 1
09-07-2014, 10:36 PM
I'm waiting on Mac's excuse this time.

http://i62.tinypic.com/qqyer7.jpg

Macarthur
09-08-2014, 06:26 AM
No excuses. He was bad.

D'Highlander
09-08-2014, 07:32 AM
This is what happens when your qb has had 2 back surgeries and you set him out half of the practices during training camp...

BB BULLS
09-08-2014, 07:45 AM
This is what happens when your qb has had 2 back surgeries and you set him out half of the practices during training camp...

D, i will have to disagree with you here it has nothing to do with the surgeries, it has to do with Romo he was bad before them. he will never get it done he just plain sucks. i am like cougar i had quit watching.

Macarthur
09-08-2014, 07:55 AM
D, i will have to disagree with you here it has nothing to do with the surgeries, it has to do with Romo he was bad before them. he will never get it done he just plain sucks. i am like cougar i had quit watching.

This is just silly. To say romo has ALWAYS been this bad is just nonsense. The guy has been a very good qb in his career. It's clear his body is breaking down. Back issues are what ended aikmans career.

Txbroadcaster
09-08-2014, 08:13 AM
I did not like it when he was sitting so much during camp and pre season games. It showed because he looked just like he has rust to knock off..more to be worried about is he still looks very stiff. He tried his vaunted spin move at one point and had no agility whatsoever. His arm strength on deep balls was not good at all.

Farmersfan
09-08-2014, 08:29 AM
I have been the sqeaky wheel on here for probably 5 years about Romo and ya'll keep hoarding the grease! (Except for Cam! I think he gets good use out of it)

It is a verifiable FACT that Romo will have two to three of these kinds of giveaway games every season. I don't think this year will be any different. But the interceptions are simply the tip of the iceberg. His decision making on OTHER plays is very questionable and always has been. I've said 1000 times that normally Romo doesn't see the whole field very well and a lot of the time doesn't read defenses very well. It was all on display yesterday. And not playing in pre-season is not an acceptable excuse. His be-gillion dollar contract doesn't start slow and escalate upwards as his play improves. He's a high paid professional and most have himself ready to play. Tony Romo was the 2nd worst rated starting QB in the entire league yesterday. And that includes a lot of rookies and very young players with far less talent on their offenses....... His QB rating was 60.8! And for what it's worth, Tom Brady was barely better than Romo with a 69 rating in their loss. Anyone wanna bet which of these two will bounce back better?

buff4ever
09-08-2014, 08:33 AM
I have been the sqeaky wheel on here for probably 5 years about Romo and ya'll keep hoarding the grease! (Except for Cam! I think he gets good use out of it)

It is a verifiable FACT that Romo will have two to three of these kinds of giveaway games every season. I don't think this year will be any different. But the interceptions are simply the tip of the iceberg. His decision making on OTHER plays is very questionable and always has been. I've said 1000 times that normally Romo doesn't see the whole field very well and a lot of the time doesn't read defenses very well. It was all on display yesterday. And not playing in pre-season is not an acceptable excuse. His be-gillion dollar contract doesn't start slow and escalate upwards as his play improves. He's a high paid professional and most have himself ready to play. Tony Romo was the 2nd worst rated starting QB in the entire league yesterday. And that includes a lot of rookies and very young players with far less talent on their offenses....... His QB rating was 60.8! And for what it's worth, Tom Brady was barely better than Romo with a 69 rating in their loss. Anyone wanna bet which of these two will bounce back better?

Brady

Farmersfan
09-08-2014, 08:44 AM
This is just silly. To say romo has ALWAYS been this bad is just nonsense. The guy has been a very good qb in his career. It's clear his body is breaking down. Back issues are what ended aikmans career.

Yea, it's his body breaking down! LOL

BB BULLS
09-08-2014, 08:48 AM

Slliy you say! ok well very good QB win playoff games. how many has Romo won for us? but i know that is just another silly remark. i know there is one QB out there that is older and has had two neck operations and seems to be doing just fine.
ROMO JUST SUCKS HE ALWAYS HAS AND ALWAYS WILL. the Boys will not be a contender until they get a good QB. i know its hard to take Mac but it is the truth deal with.

Macarthur
09-08-2014, 08:49 AM

I don't want to go around the tree again with some of your post. We disagree about much of his career.

I will say this. I think your comment about him not even needing work is kinda silly. Everyone needs practice regardless. Why do professional pitchers need spring training? If what you say is true, Tom Brady should never have to practice.

Txbroadcaster
09-08-2014, 08:59 AM
I hope FF it is just one of his 2-3 bad games...History says that is probably just it and nothing else. I still think he does not look physically right.

Farmersfan
09-08-2014, 09:06 AM
I don't want to go around the tree again with some of your post. We disagree about much of his career.

I will say this. I think your comment about him not even needing work is kinda silly. Everyone needs practice regardless. Why do professional pitchers need spring training? If what you say is true, Tom Brady should never have to practice.

I didn't say he didn't need work Mac. It's obvious he needed more work. What I said was that not getting work isn't a good enough excuse for this kind of performance. Not getting enough work should mean the difference in being average and being good or great! And I don't agree that this was a case of not enough work for Tony Romo. He actually came out really, really good and didn't fall apart until he started making mistakes. Once he threw that 1st interception he was DONE for the day. After that he couldn't even throw a decent ball. That's a mental breakdown 100% and no amount of "Work" will fix that.

Macarthur
09-08-2014, 09:07 AM
Yea, it's his body breaking down! LOL

So you think he looks right physically?

I completely agree that it was more than just physical yesterday, but to say it has nothing to do with him not being right physically is crazy, IMO.

Farmersfan
09-08-2014, 09:10 AM
I hope FF it is just one of his 2-3 bad games...History says that is probably just it and nothing else. I still think he does not look physically right.

I think so too! The problem is this team isn't strong enough to be successful if he has 2 or 3 of these kinds of games. I hope with all my being that we don't see another .500 season. Jerry Jones needs to see just how bad things are and as long as we win 8 games a year he can always latch on to some ridiculous dream about how if the ball had just bounced a little more in our favor we are playing in the Superbowl! If this team doesn't win 10 games I would prefer they not win 4 games.......................

Macarthur
09-08-2014, 09:11 AM
I didn't say he didn't need work Mac. It's obvious he needed more work. What I said was that not getting work isn't a good enough excuse for this kind of performance. Not getting enough work should mean the difference in being average and being good or great! And I don't agree that this was a case of not enough work for Tony Romo. He actually came out really, really good and didn't fall apart until he started making mistakes. Once he threw that 1st interception he was DONE for the day. After that he couldn't even throw a decent ball. That's a mental breakdown 100% and no amount of "Work" will fix that.

And I'm not saying he was good otherwise without the back issues. He made poor decisions in addition to him not looking right physically.

I'm not sure about your comment about him looking okay early. I only saw highlights from the first part of the game (was working), but on the radio, babe said he got up slowly after he got knocked down trying to make a play on the Murray fumble.

Txbroadcaster
09-08-2014, 09:11 AM

Actually FF his passes getting worse is exactly what I mean..he has no stamina built up in that back right now..the longer the game went, the worse his throwing form got. And I am not talking about the INTS..those were bad reads...I mean how his throws got higher and higher, meaning he lost his form.

Macarthur
09-08-2014, 09:13 AM
Slliy you say! ok well very good QB win playoff games. how many has Romo won for us? but i know that is just another silly remark. i know there is one QB out there that is older and has had two neck operations and seems to be doing just fine.
ROMO JUST SUCKS HE ALWAYS HAS AND ALWAYS WILL. the Boys will not be a contender until they get a good QB. i know its hard to take Mac but it is the truth deal with.

You're right he's always sucked.

Txbroadcaster
09-08-2014, 09:15 AM
I think so too! The problem is this team isn't strong enough to be successful if he has 2 or 3 of these kinds of games. I hope with all my being that we don't see another .500 season. Jerry Jones needs to see just how bad things are and as long as we win 8 games a year he can always latch on to some ridiculous dream about how if the ball had just bounced a little more in our favor we are playing in the Superbowl! If this team doesn't win 10 games I would prefer they not win 4 games.......................

And that has been the problem for awhile now..it relies on Romo to be perfect.

Cam
09-08-2014, 09:17 AM
....did the Cowboys lose??....:vrycnfsd:

Farmersfan
09-08-2014, 09:20 AM
So you think he looks right physically?

I completely agree that it was more than just physical yesterday, but to say it has nothing to do with him not being right physically is crazy, IMO.

Need a bigger sample Mac! Yesterday Romo had a 60.8 QB rating. In his career he has had a <70 QB rating 21 times and many of those were early on. I've seen problems with Romo from the beginning and have been pointing them out since 07' while you denied them. NOW you want to admit them and blame them on a "break down of his body". No way do I accept that.

Macarthur
09-08-2014, 09:25 AM
Need a bigger sample Mac! Yesterday Romo had a 60.8 QB rating. In his career he has had a <70 QB rating 21 times and many of those were early on. I've seen problems with Romo from the beginning and have been pointing them out since 07' while you denied them. NOW you want to admit them and blame them on a "break down of his body". No way do I accept that.

If you want to use stats, I can use stats too when looking at his career. I think we've both emptied our holdster. Guess what, all QBs have bad games.

But ultimately, you are right. We will need to see more than one game.

Macarthur
09-08-2014, 09:26 AM
Ultimately, the bigger problem for JJ is that lifelong fans like me have become apathetic. As evidenced by all the Cowboys' fans that gave/sold their tickets to 49er fans yesterday.

Txbroadcaster
09-08-2014, 09:29 AM

This is where FF goes off track..You always act like anyone who defends Romo claims he never has bad games..that has never been the issue..he has bad games..every QB does in a season. Brady last year had 7 games with a rating under 80..The difference is when he has a bad game you jump all over it and dismiss the good games which Romo has had far more.

Like I said I hope your right that this was just a Romo getting behind and forcing things, because of that is the only issue then he and the offense will be fine.

Macarthur
09-08-2014, 09:32 AM
This is where FF goes off track..You always act like anyone who defends Romo claims he never has bad games..that has never been the issue..he has bad games..every QB does in a season. Brady last year had 7 games with a rating under 80..The difference is when he has a bad game you jump all over it and dismiss the good games which Romo has had far more.

Like I said I hope your right that this was just a Romo getting behind and forcing things, because of that is the only issue then he and the offense will be fine.

What?! You mean a QB had that many bad games and the defense and sepcial teams actually helped them win games?! That can't happen in the NFL. Are you f'ing nuts?!

Farmersfan
09-08-2014, 09:34 AM
And that has been the problem for awhile now..it relies on Romo to be perfect.

I think Romo doesn't have to be perfect for this team to win. All he needs to be is above average which he is PAID to be. He probably would have to be near perfect for them to win a Superbowl but that could be said for just about every team.

Question TX. In your opinion do the Cowboys win that game yesterday with Brandon Weeden at QB?

Txbroadcaster
09-08-2014, 09:36 AM
What?! You mean a QB had that many bad games and the defense and sepcial teams actually helped them win games?! That can't happen in the NFL. Are you f'ing nuts?!

yea I know..Pats were 5-2 in those games

Txbroadcaster
09-08-2014, 09:37 AM
I think Romo doesn't have to be perfect for this team to win. All he needs to be is above average which he is PAID to be. He probably would have to be near perfect for them to win a Superbowl but that could be said for just about every team.

Question TX. In your opinion do the Cowboys win that game yesterday with Brandon Weeden at QB?

No I do not.

Rabid Cougar
09-08-2014, 09:38 AM
Get this trash off a respectable football board that discusses decent football. "Cowboys" topic should be banned and the UIL should take the SC out of Jerry World. Freaking disgusting excuse for a football team and an owner.

Txbroadcaster
09-08-2014, 09:39 AM

Also..what is above average to you? Give me an above average Stat line for him for Dallas to win more times than not.

GrTigers6
09-08-2014, 09:51 AM
Wait A minute everyone! Those interceptions were not Romo's fault. How can he know where the defenders going to be? :D
He was definitely off yesterday whether it was his back or lack of preparation, reps whatever it was clear something wasn't right. Time will be the only factor to tell if things get better or worse. I think the defense played decent considering their talent level and had the offense scored on two of those drives with takeaways they would have won. So lets get the offense going and see what happens.

cougartino
09-08-2014, 09:59 AM
Jerry claims he's blind to enemy colors in AT&T. He's a fat liar! Go watch the footage of the 1992 game in LA. He's on the field saying, "Look at all that blue up there!" How does he see blue on the ground but can't see a whole sea of red from the top? And folks wonder why my team is a joke. SMDH

Farmersfan
09-08-2014, 10:03 AM

In 7 <80 QB rating games last season Tom Brady threw 6 interceptions. Not a single one of those games did Brady throw more than 1 int. and the Patriots went 5-2 in those games. Last season was an anomoly with the really bad defense so lets compare Romo's 2012 numbers when the defense was average at best. Romo had 6 games in 2012 with a <80 QB rating. Romo had 15 int in those 6 games and the Cowboys went 2-4. Romo had a 5 int game, a 4 int game and a 3 int game and the Cowboys went 0-3 in those games. In the single interception games the Cowboys went 2-1. Very few teams can overcome multiply interceptions from their QB..............

Macarthur
09-08-2014, 10:13 AM
Very few teams can overcome multiply interceptions from their QB..............

Agree 100%

Saggy Aggie
09-08-2014, 10:43 AM
In 7 <80 QB rating games last season Tom Brady threw 6 interceptions. Not a single one of those games did Brady throw more than 1 int. and the Patriots went 5-2 in those games. Last season was an anomoly with the really bad defense so lets compare Romo's 2012 numbers when the defense was average at best. Romo had 6 games in 2012 with a <80 QB rating. Romo had 15 int in those 6 games and the Cowboys went 2-4. Romo had a 5 int game, a 4 int game and a 3 int game and the Cowboys went 0-3 in those games. In the single interception games the Cowboys went 2-1. Very few teams can overcome multiply interceptions from their QB..............

Oooooh, FF GOT EM

YTBulldogs
09-08-2014, 10:47 AM
Jerry claims he's blind to enemy colors in AT&T. He's a fat liar! Go watch the footage of the 1992 game in LA. He's on the field saying, "Look at all that blue up there!" How does he see blue on the ground but can't see a whole sea of red from the top? And folks wonder why my team is a joke. SMDH

All Jerry see's is green.

Cam
09-08-2014, 11:09 AM
All Jerry see's is green.:eek:

....and nicely tanned breasts of beautiful young women!....:eek:.........:doh:

cougartino
09-08-2014, 11:49 AM
All Jerry see's is green.

:iagree:

Bullaholic
09-08-2014, 12:56 PM
Cowboys still look like a sandlot team on offense. Every downfield pass play looks like a scramble-drill jump ball. Defense looks like---"I got him---no, you got him" way too much. They're still a long ways from being among the NFL good teams---and the bad part is they don't appear to have a plan to change that other than Garrett's standard mantra of - "We made some mistakes and we're working hard to correct them".

Farmersfan
09-08-2014, 01:03 PM
Also..what is above average to you? Give me an above average Stat line for him for Dallas to win more times than not.

Let's simply take yesterday as a sample size TX! The "Average" QB rating yesterday was 94.7. There were 5 QBs in the league that threw multiple interceptions. They were Romo, Smith, McGown, Cutler and Luck. Can you guess what all 5 of them have in common? There were 10 QBs in the league that had a single interception yesterday and 6 of them won their games........................ So the question is does Dallas win yesterday with a 94.7 rating and only 1 interception from Romo? I suspect they win handily.

Farmersfan
09-08-2014, 01:18 PM
Let's simply take yesterday as a sample size TX! The "Average" QB rating yesterday was 94.7. There were 5 QBs in the league that threw multiple interceptions. They were Romo, Smith, McGown, Cutler and Luck. Can you guess what all 5 of them have in common? There were 10 QBs in the league that had a single interception yesterday and 6 of them won their games........................ So the question is does Dallas win yesterday with a 94.7 rating and only 1 interception from Romo? I suspect they win handily.

Also only 5 out of the top 10 QBs in completion percentage won yesterday. Only 5 out of the top 10 in passing yardage won yesterday! 4 of the top 10 most sacked QBs won yesterday! every single stat kept suggests that it's about 50/50 for a team to win EXCEPT for QB rating. The top 10 QBs in QB rating all won their game yesterday. Only 4 of the next 18 QBs in QB rating won their games. A team lives and dies by it's QB play. No other position in the game has a bigger impact on win/loss than the QB.

caleb_mccaig
09-08-2014, 01:19 PM
Coming in a little late here......

I was obviously not happy with the result as a Cowboys fan but I saw a lot of good things.

The defense didn't look near as bad up front as I was thinking they would. Kaepernick had to scramble pretty often and I was satisfied with the pressure that we got on him. The one thing I didn't like on defense was that the secondary was constantly in zone on passing downs. Carr and Claiborne are both way better man-to-man guys and I didn't understand why there playing so much zone on obvious passing downs.

The offensive line is going to be stellar again this year. If Demarco can stay healthy he should be able to run for more than 1,400 yards this year.

Sville
09-08-2014, 02:24 PM
4-12 for the Cowboys this year. They will beat the Rams, Jags, and split with Giants and Redskins.

Macarthur
09-08-2014, 03:02 PM
Also only 5 out of the top 10 QBs in completion percentage won yesterday. Only 5 out of the top 10 in passing yardage won yesterday! 4 of the top 10 most sacked QBs won yesterday! every single stat kept suggests that it's about 50/50 for a team to win EXCEPT for QB rating. The top 10 QBs in QB rating all won their game yesterday. Only 4 of the next 18 QBs in QB rating won their games. A team lives and dies by it's QB play. No other position in the game has a bigger impact on win/loss than the QB.

I don't think you can say w any certainty that they would have won.

For one thing, SF clearly went very conservative w their offense.

Secondly , in ine of our previous romo discussions, I posted a stat that they were one of the worst teams record wise when their qb was over 90 something qb rating.

I'm on my phone so I can't find it but I think you're making a big jump to conclude a good game by romo = win. History tells us otherwise.

caleb_mccaig
09-08-2014, 03:22 PM
It's worth noting that yesterday was the first time Dallas has lost a game where Demarco Murray has 20 or more carries.....

GrTigers6
09-08-2014, 03:41 PM
It's worth noting that yesterday was the first time Dallas has lost a game where Demarco Murray has 20 or more carries.....
And 100+ yards

Saggy Aggie
09-08-2014, 06:10 PM
I don't think you can say w any certainty that they would have won.

For one thing, SF clearly went very conservative w their offense.

Secondly , in ine of our previous romo discussions, I posted a stat that they were one of the worst teams record wise when their qb was over 90 something qb rating.

I'm on my phone so I can't find it but I think you're making a big jump to conclude a good game by romo = win. History tells us otherwise.

Wait, what? A good romo game =\= a win, but a bad romo game doesn't equal a win either?

Macarthur
09-08-2014, 08:36 PM
Wait, what? A good romo game =\= a win, but a bad romo game doesn't equal a win either?

This goes back to an old conversation. Over the last several years, Dallas has one of, if not the worst, winning percentage when a QB has a passer rating over 95, I think the number was.

The takeaway was that even when Romo is good, the team around him, namely the defense, is sometime not capable of winning.

Saggy Aggie
09-08-2014, 08:40 PM
This goes back to an old conversation. Over the last several years, Dallas has one of, if not the worst, winning percentage when a QB has a passer rating over 95, I think the number was.

The takeaway was that even when Romo is good, the team around him, namely the defense, is sometime not capable of winning.

Gotcha. I personally just think the whole team sucks :)

Macarthur
09-08-2014, 08:46 PM
I found it.

When QB Has Pass Rating Between 95-110 (W-L, 2010-13)
•Brady 13-2 (.867)
•Brees 12-2 (.857)
•Roethbrgr 8-2 (.800)
•Rodgers 9-3 (.750)
•Ryan 10-4 (.714)
•PManning 11-5 (.688)
•EManning 8-5 (.615)
•Stafford 9-8 (.529)
•Rivers 6-7 (.462)
• Romo 4-10 (.286)

Since 2010, when Romo has a 95-110 rating in a game, the Cowboys are 4-10 (.286). When these other QB have a 95-110 rating in a game, their teams are 86-38 (.694). And that winning percentage is not what makes those quarterbacks special. When any other QB in the league besides Romo has a 95-110 rating in a game, those teams are 243-120-2 (.669).

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2014/7/22/5927151/loss-forensics-romo-vs-the-leagues-top-qb

Saggy Aggie
09-08-2014, 08:55 PM
So the cowboys situationally suck? If romo doesn't, the D will. If he sucks, no need for the D to suck that day.

End result, team figures out how to suck.

Txbroadcaster
09-08-2014, 08:56 PM
So the cowboys situationally suck? If romo doesn't, the D will. If he sucks, no need for the D to suck that day.

End result, team figures out how to suck.

They figure out how to be average some how.

Macarthur
09-08-2014, 09:04 PM
They figure out how to be average some how.

correct.

tango
09-08-2014, 09:18 PM
In order for Dallas to right the ship they need to "draft" a new GM/Owner.

hollywood
09-09-2014, 02:18 AM
I found it.

•Brady 13-2 (.867)
•Brees 12-2 (.857)
•Roethbrgr 8-2 (.800)
•Rodgers 9-3 (.750)
•Ryan 10-4 (.714)
•PManning 11-5 (.688)
•EManning 8-5 (.615)
•Stafford 9-8 (.529)
•Rivers 6-7 (.462)
• Romo 4-10 (.286)

Since 2010, when Romo has a 95-110 rating in a game, the Cowboys are 4-10 (.286). When these other QB have a 95-110 rating in a game, their teams are 86-38 (.694). And that winning percentage is not what makes those quarterbacks special. When any other QB in the league besides Romo has a 95-110 rating in a game, those teams are 243-120-2 (.669).

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2014/7/22/5927151/loss-forensics-romo-vs-the-leagues-top-qb

When Romo is on and has a high passer rating, he generally freaks out and throws a game losing INT. That's why his stats are good but can't lead a team to win. He'll play great 95% of the game, then lose it. Head case

:wave:

Macarthur
09-09-2014, 06:35 AM
When Romo is on and has a high passer rating, he generally freaks out and throws a game losing INT. That's why his stats are good but can't lead a team to win. He'll play great 95% of the game, then lose it. Head case

:wave:

Did you not read the article? The whole point of the article is based on your comment.

cougartino
09-09-2014, 09:23 AM
4-12 for the Cowboys this year. They will beat the Rams, Jags, and split with Giants and Redskins.

I will say this, don't sleep on those Jags. They had the Eagles on their hills. Once they learn how to win, they'll be a thorn in folks' sides.

Farmersfan
09-09-2014, 10:26 AM
I found it.

•Brady 13-2 (.867)
•Brees 12-2 (.857)
•Roethbrgr 8-2 (.800)
•Rodgers 9-3 (.750)
•Ryan 10-4 (.714)
•PManning 11-5 (.688)
•EManning 8-5 (.615)
•Stafford 9-8 (.529)
•Rivers 6-7 (.462)
• Romo 4-10 (.286)

Question Mac: Why does this stat stop at the 110 QB rating instead of simply saying a QB rating higher than 95? and why does it only go back to 2010? And what is the winning percentage of all those teams with a QB rating UNDER 95? To randomly use the rating of 95-110 and to only use a sample of the past 3 years seems to be a bit too arbitrary to me therefore indicates it probably somehow "FITS" the point the author was wanting to make. So let me point out some things. In the first place Tony Romo has had 22 interceptions in games where he ended up with a rating over 95 since 07'. The Cowboys went 16-6 in those games. But here is the real facts. 12 of those interceptions for Romo were in 07' and 08' and the 'boys went 12-0 in those games. Since then he has had 10 interceptions when his rating was higher than 95 and the Cowboys went 4-6 in those games. Also I think it is worth stating that the Cowboys are 21-24 in games where he had a QB rating UNDER 95 since 07'. What does all this mean? How the hell would I know???? :vrycnfsd:

Farmersfan
09-09-2014, 10:33 AM
Question Mac: Why does this stat stop at the 110 QB rating instead of simply saying a QB rating higher than 95? and why does it only go back to 2010? And what is the winning percentage of all those teams with a QB rating UNDER 95? To randomly use the rating of 95-110 and to only use a sample of the past 3 years seems to be a bit too arbitrary to me therefore indicates it probably somehow "FITS" the point the author was wanting to make. So let me point out some things. In the first place Tony Romo has had 22 interceptions in games where he ended up with a rating over 95 since 07'. The Cowboys went 16-6 in those games. But here is the real facts. 12 of those interceptions for Romo were in 07' and 08' and the 'boys went 12-0 in those games. Since then he has had 10 interceptions when his rating was higher than 95 and the Cowboys went 4-6 in those games. Also I think it is worth stating that the Cowboys are 21-24 in games where he had a QB rating UNDER 95 since 07'. What does all this mean? How the hell would I know???? :vrycnfsd:

As a comparison, Tom Brady has had 12 interceptions in games where he ended up with a 95 or better QB rating over that same time frame. And the Patriots are 11-1 in those games.

Farmersfan
09-09-2014, 10:44 AM
As a comparison, Tom Brady has had 12 interceptions in games where he ended up with a 95 or better QB rating over that same time frame. And the Patriots are 11-1 in those games.

And the last one: When Tony Romo has no interceptions and has a QB rating higher than 95 the Cowboys are 23-11. 7 of those losses are in the past 2 years...................

Macarthur
09-09-2014, 10:55 AM

It would take diving into the numbers more to know for sure, but I we do know for a FACT that the defenses the Cowboys had in those years were better than what they've had the last several years. So it does stand to reason that the Cowboys were able to better absorb QB mistakes.

I also think if you don't ackowlege a couple of things, you are being disingenuous. First, Romo had outstanding yards per attempt numbers the first several years of his career. The reason was that JG was running his offense that uses longer route trees. That also requires that the OL be able to hold blocks longer, which early in his career, they were pretty good there. That type of offense can also be very feast or famine. You get lots of big plays, but also open yourself up to more risk.

After that 09 season, the OL started going downhill quickly. The longer route trees couldn't work. You couple that with the less effective OL and running game, and they had the adjust the way they play. In the last several years, Romo's yards per attempt have been going down because they are trying to get the ball out due to OL and still not having a running game.

Now, what is interesting is now that the OL has gotten better recently and they have a quality RB now, the coaching staff hasn't done a very good job of making adjustments because they are still throwing the ball too much, IMO.

While it's true that you can take certain numbers and create any sort of narrative you want, you simply can't deny that over the last 4 years or so, Romo has had a rediculously poor defense and the further the franchise gets from Parcells, they have had no clue on the personnel side. They basically had a year, 2009, where they have ZERO contributors from that draft. They got nothing from an entire draft. Now, I do think they have done a little better since JG, you have a huge hole on the roster where 5 to 8 year vets are just missing. I looked at the roster and when you look at guys from 5 to 8 years, they have exactly 3 guys that this team drafted and contribute - Dez, Spencer & Free. That's it!! That is crazy. It's kinda funny that the Cowboys have been praised the last few years for finding guys in rookie FA that make the team. Is that a sign that they are good at that or is it a sign that the f'ing roster sucks and they have so many holes to fill?

This franchise is a joke.

Macarthur
09-09-2014, 10:58 AM
And the last one: When Tony Romo has no interceptions and has a QB rating higher than 95 the Cowboys are 23-11. 7 of those losses are in the past 2 years...................

Again, I think this shows me that this team is so mediocre, they have virtually no margin for error. I can think of two games right off the top of my head that JG literally lost the game because of how poorly he managed time.

Farmersfan
09-09-2014, 11:24 AM
Again, I think this shows me that this team is so mediocre, they have virtually no margin for error. I can think of two games right off the top of my head that JG literally lost the game because of how poorly he managed time.

All any of this proves is that it takes a couple of years of having the worst defense in the NFL to manipulate the stats in such a way as to make none of it Romo's fault. And once again the stats are manipulated to show what the author wants to show. For example Romo has a good 4th quarter stat line but i think last year someone showed on here that in the last 4 minutes of the game when within a single score Romo was one of the worst in the league. Quote: "Romo has thrown 8 INT in final 5 minutes of 4th quarter when game is within 7 points, most in @nfl last 3 years." http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/12/tony-romo-clutch-dallas-cowboys

Try going back to 06' thru 09' and compare those years to all those other QBs............. The only real difference you will find is the number of playoff appearances, wins and Superbowls! Of course it's not all Romo's fault but he is a big, big, big reason for it....

Macarthur
09-09-2014, 11:44 AM
All any of this proves is that it takes a couple of years of having the worst defense in the NFL to manipulate the stats in such a way as to make none of it Romo's fault.

Please don't do this anymore. I have never taken Romo out of the blame equation.

Try going back to 06' thru 09' and compare those years to all those other QBs............. The only real difference you will find is the number of playoff appearances, wins and Superbowls! Of course it's not all Romo's fault but he is a big, big, big reason for it....

It is interesting when you look at basically 06-09 and 10-13 since he's basically been the QB for 8 seasons. He had better talent around him those first 4 years. They went to the playoffs 3 of the 4. They won a game and lost two. One of the games they lost was to the SB champ, and if you remember that game, there were a couple of critical drops that could have very easily turned that game for DAllas. In Seattle, he played an okay game and put them in a position to win, then the fumble snap happened. 08 was a so so year. It's interesting that you could argue that was Romo's worst year with a 91 passer rating. They were 9-7 and missed the playoffs. They were terrible in Philly, but if you remember, they could have clinched a playoff spot the week before at TExas Stadiums' last game where Balt ran all over the defense and made them look pitiful. Something like back to back 70+ yard runs - one by a fullback!

I think you certainly could make the point that Romo was more of a gunslinger early in his career and maybe that cost him a few more victories. However, the irony is that as his career went along, he's gotten better at taking care of the ball, yet the team around him has continued to decline.

Here's your INTs since he was injured in 10:
2011-2013
Brady - 31
Ben R. - 36
Romo - 39
Peyton - 38
Ryan - 43
Brees - 45
Rivers - 46
Eli - 58

Farmersfan
09-09-2014, 12:11 PM
It would take diving into the numbers more to know for sure, but I we do know for a FACT that the defenses the Cowboys had in those years were better than what they've had the last several years. So it does stand to reason that the Cowboys were able to better absorb QB mistakes.

Most of Romo's mistakes were during those periods when the team had good defenses. The first 3 season Romo had 46 interceptions and 35 fumbles. (81 turnovers in 3 years) when the team was really good. In the 6 seasons since when the team has gotten progressively worse Romo has 55 interceptions and 23 fumbles. (78 turnovers in 6 years). So doesn't this play right into what everybody has been saying about Romo from the beginning? The Cowboys were Superbowl caliber for several years but couldn't overcome Romo's mistakes enough to get there. So it's not a surprise when a bad team still can't overcome his mistakes even though his mistakes are fewer.

I also think if you don't ackowlege a couple of things, you are being disingenuous. First, Romo had outstanding yards per attempt numbers the first several years of his career. The reason was that JG was running his offense that uses longer route trees. That also requires that the OL be able to hold blocks longer, which early in his career, they were pretty good there. That type of offense can also be very feast or famine. You get lots of big plays, but also open yourself up to more risk.

07'. 8.10 ypa
08'. 7.66 ypa
09'. 8.15 ypa
10' 7.54 ypa
11' 8.02 ypa
12' 7.57 ypa
13' 7.16 ypa

Seems to me only last year was down any significant amount.

While it's true that you can take certain numbers and create any sort of narrative you want, you simply can't deny that over the last 4 years or so, Romo has had a rediculously poor defense and the further the franchise gets from Parcells, they have had no clue on the personnel side.

2013: Cowboys D ranked #32. Also in the bottom 10. Philly, Chicago, Green Bay, New England, Kansas City and San Diego. All but Dallas made the playoffs.
2012: Cowboys D ranked #19. Also ranked worse than Dallas on defense: Saints, Giants, Patriots, Colts, Falcons and Chargers. All but Dallas made the playoffs.
2011: Cowboys D ranked #14. Also ranked worse than Dallas on defense: Packers, Patriots, Panthers, Giants, Colts, Broncos, Saints, Bears and Chargers. All but Dallas made the playoffs and one even won the Superbowl..

I think you get the point. Most of the consistent playoff teams in the NFL make the playoffs year after year after year despite having a bad defense or a bad offenses. In Dallas we blame the lack of success on all the weak parts of the team when most of the other QBs in the league that Romo is compared to still manages to win despite having very low ranked defenses, or O-lines, or D-lines or bad coaches.

Farmersfan
09-09-2014, 12:25 PM
Please don't do this anymore. I have never taken Romo out of the blame equation.

I didn't say you Mac. I meant the people who are manipulating the stats to show Romo wasn't at fault.

It is interesting when you look at basically 06-09 and 10-13 since he's basically been the QB for 8 seasons. He had better talent around him those first 4 years.

Mac, the whole point of looking at the first several years was to compare Romo's stats to those other QBs when Dallas had the good defense.

I think you certainly could make the point that Romo was more of a gunslinger early in his career and maybe that cost him a few more victories. However, the irony is that as his career went along, he's gotten better at taking care of the ball, yet the team around him has continued to decline.

Right! So if the Cowboys put a #1 defense around Romo again does he revert back to "gunslinger" and start throwing all the interceptions and fumbles that takes his team out of contention again? Or do we also need a great o-line and Hall of Fame receivers and Runningbacks so Romo doesn't NEED to make plays for them to win? It's ridiculous to minimize what a NFL QB has to accomplish to put his team in contention. Romo hasn't accomplished it.

Farmersfan
09-09-2014, 12:30 PM
Here's your INTs since he was injured in 10:
2011-2013
Brady - 31
Ben R. - 36
Romo - 39
Peyton - 38
Ryan - 43
Brees - 45
Rivers - 46
Eli - 58

One more point and I'll let it rest. I don't care if Romo throws 1000 interceptions and has 500 fumbles in a season as long as he wins and gets his team in contention for a Superbowl. A great QB gets the job done even if the team around him isn't tops in the league in every single category......

BB BULLS
09-09-2014, 12:53 PM
OK now that Mac & Farmer has given us all these numbers and stuff. this is for all the simple people like me, what it all means is ROMO SUCKS. now we can all move on from this thread and talk about high school football.

Cam
09-09-2014, 12:53 PM
I will say this, don't sleep on those Jags. They had the Eagles on their hills. Once they learn how to win, they'll be a thorn in folks' sides.

ahh crap cougartino....so then it's 3-13?!?.....

Cam
09-09-2014, 01:30 PM
I've tried to like Romo over the years....but I'm ready to see change already...problem is, there's nobody waiting in the wings right now.....we all complain about Romo...but he's laughing all the way to the bank! Even his press conferences seem rehearsed and he seems uninterested and completely bored.....he just says the same things over and over with this glassy-eyed stare and his little lip/cheek smacking noises he habitually makes...almost like he's thinking about his next tee time.....at least he's settled down a bit...I always remember my nephew's Romo story during his Longhorn days...he, Colt McCoy, another fella, and Romo all went out to dinner here in Austin......Everyone was talkin' football except for Romo.....Romo kept asking my nephew, "Where can we get some girls around here?".....For some reason, Romo was insistent that my nephew take care of getting him a girl!...I remember my nephew saying all he could think of was, "Get your own damn woman!"......Anyways, my point is, my nephew became completely annoyed with Romo.....JUST LIKE ALL THE REST OF YA'LL!....:spitlol:.....I got some really good Vince Young stories if anybody wants to hear em'!....dang!...I'm worse than a woman!!....:doh:

cougartino
09-09-2014, 02:03 PM
ahh crap cougartino....so then it's 3-13?!?.....

Oops. I meant "heels." Cowboys should win but J'ville will not be an easy out this year.

Macarthur
09-09-2014, 02:06 PM
Most of Romo's mistakes were during those periods when the team had good defenses. The first 3 season Romo had 46 interceptions and 35 fumbles. (81 turnovers in 3 years) when the team was really good. In the 6 seasons since when the team has gotten progressively worse Romo has 55 interceptions and 23 fumbles. (78 turnovers in 6 years). So doesn't this play right into what everybody has been saying about Romo from the beginning? The Cowboys were Superbowl caliber for several years but couldn't overcome Romo's mistakes enough to get there. So it's not a surprise when a bad team still can't overcome his mistakes even though his mistakes are fewer.

Dude, he has 23 LOST fumbles for his careeer. By comparison, Eli and Ben have 34 and 35 in their career. BTW, what error could they not overcome in the divisional playoff game they lost to the Giants?

http://www.nfl.com/player/tonyromo/2505354/profile

Here are turnovers per game played for their career:

Romo 1.16
Ben 1.10
Brees 1.11
Rivers 1.06
Eli 1.36

2013: Cowboys D ranked #32. Also in the bottom 10. Philly, Chicago, Green Bay, New England, Kansas City and San Diego. All but Dallas made the playoffs.

You're using yards/game, which is what the league uses for their rankings, but many many folks think that is a very poor way to judge the effectiveness of a defense.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef2013

Sure, there are teams that make the playoffs with a bad defense, but that is the exception; not the rule. SD and Chicago are really the only teams that you could say had defenses even close to Dallas.

2012: Cowboys D ranked #19. Also ranked worse than Dallas on defense: Saints, Giants, Patriots, Colts, Falcons and Chargers. All but Dallas made the playoffs.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef2012

Only the Saints and Colts were close to Dallas

2011: Cowboys D ranked #14. Also ranked worse than Dallas on defense: Packers, Patriots, Panthers, Giants, Colts, Broncos, Saints, Bears and Chargers. All but Dallas made the playoffs and one even won the Superbowl..

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef2011

2011 is the only year where your point makes some sense. Dallas defense was not quite as bad as several of these teams.

I think you get the point. Most of the consistent playoff teams in the NFL make the playoffs year after year after year despite having a bad defense or a bad offenses. In Dallas we blame the lack of success on all the weak parts of the team when most of the other QBs in the league that Romo is compared to still manages to win despite having very low ranked defenses, or O-lines, or D-lines or bad coaches.

Sure, there's always going to be a few teams that slide in. The biggest issue with your point above is that you use yards per game as the measure for defensive rankings (which the NFL does too), but if you read around, there are lots of folks that say that is a really poor way to rank defenses.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-yards-per-play-differential/2013/

Yards are bogus, IMO. If you look at the various advanced metrics used by diff sites to measure offensive and defensive EFFICIENCY, you will see consistently that those teams are the ones that are in the mix for the playoffs.

Macarthur
09-09-2014, 03:05 PM
And I think this fumble thing with you is weird. Even if you want to use that total number instead of fumbles lost, here's some others to ponder:
Romo 54 fumbles
Ben 70
Brees 78
Eli 79
Cutler 63
Flacco 56 - In almost a full season fewer games.

The fact of the matter is, Romo is just not a turnover machine that public perception wants to paint him. Now, if you want to discuss the killer timing of some of those, that's probably a more appropriate discussion.

coach
09-09-2014, 03:11 PM
once again ff putting up false numbers to make him look credible...

Farmersfan
09-10-2014, 07:35 AM
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/12/tony-romo-clutch-dallas-cowboys

buff4ever
09-10-2014, 08:09 AM
Bottom line is that I still don't think Romo gets buy in from his teammates that he is a leader. Yet they all know he is suppose to be either because he is the QB or by his way over compensated salary. You say we shouldn't look at yards to determine a good defense or not, which I can understand. I say all the romosexuals need to stop living and dieing by his stats. You judge a good QB by his wins, his play in CRUCIAL moments, the degree of his leadership, and his willingness to do what it takes to make sure his offense is on one same page at all times. There are lots of others I am too lazy to list.

I don't give him many compliments, and don't know if this is one. But statistically he looks like a good qb. The problem is you can't Tell by looking at the stats what the timing of the good and bad are in real time. That is a Stat that either realistically or perception wise sucks for him.

Macarthur
09-10-2014, 08:32 AM
Bottom line is that I still don't think Romo gets buy in from his teammates that he is a leader. Yet they all know he is suppose to be either because he is the QB or by his way over compensated salary. You say we shouldn't look at yards to determine a good defense or not, which I can understand. I say all the romosexuals need to stop living and dieing by his stats. You judge a good QB by his wins, his play in CRUCIAL moments, the degree of his leadership, and his willingness to do what it takes to make sure his offense is on one same page at all times. There are lots of others I am too lazy to list.

I certainly agree with this. However, you simply can't dismiss stats. I mean something like TD/INT ration is a stat that gives you a very real picture of how good a QB is. It doesn't tell the whole story, no doubt.

I think judging QBs on wins is also a slippery slope. It's certainly part of the picture, but if you take that point to an extreme, that means Trent Dilfer is a better QB than Dan Marino because he won the ultimate. But I agree with you that there is no one thing you have to look at.

I don't give him many compliments, and don't know if this is one. But statistically he looks like a good qb. The problem is you can't Tell by looking at the stats what the timing of the good and bad are in real time. That is a Stat that either realistically or perception wise sucks for him.

I agree to an extent. However, the article I posted attempts to address the late game issue.

Macarthur
09-10-2014, 08:52 AM
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/12/tony-romo-clutch-dallas-cowboys

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/77534/romo-gets-it-done-late-more-often-than-not

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/nfl-myth-busting-tony-romo-and-the-dallas-cowboys-are-americas-chokers/23434/

If memory serves, when this stat came out, we discussed this too. The raw number doesn't tell the whole story. The fact that he has 2nd most 4th quarter combacks since 2011 (link above) combined with the link you game, tells me the Cowboys are involved in a ton of close games that come down to the end. For the stat you linked to give a true picture, you need to look at the total number of opportunities these QBs have to win or lose in the 4th and give a % of the time they succeed or fail.

If Romo is involved in 15 and fails 8, a 53% success rate is actually pretty good when compared to others (my second link above).

The fact that Brooks acknowledged Romo’s 19 game-winning drives, but still put Rivers ahead of him for “outstanding performance in the clutch” just shows the anti-Romo bias many either willingly hold or have embedded into their brain.

We have yet to fully sink our teeth into the choking dog Rivers has become, but just consider these incredible facts:

Rivers has gone an unfathomable 2-19 (.095) at game-winning drive opportunities since losing in the 2009 playoffs to the Jets.
In those 19 losses, Rivers has turned the ball over 16 times (11 interceptions and five lost fumbles) in the fourth quarter or overtime with a 0-8 point deficit.
In his last 27 games (close or not), Rivers has 13 turnovers in clutch situations.
In Romo’s 27 losses with a failed game-winning drives in his career, he has a total of 10 turnovers (nine interceptions, one lost fumble) in clutch situations.

Even if we count the infamous botched snap on the field goal in Seattle, that’s 11, or two fewer for his career than Rivers has had since October 23, 2011. It has been uncanny how Rivers turns the ball over with such consistency in these situations the last few years.

Both quarterbacks made their first start in 2006. Rivers has a total of 22 turnovers (16 interceptions and six lost fumbles) in the clutch in 36 losses with a failed game-winning drive. So it’s 22 against 10. There is no comparison here.

Romo is the NFL’s best modern-day example of “damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t.”

Nothing short of a Super Bowl MVP season would make detractors realize this is a really good quarterback on a not so good team. The problem is Romo can never be a Super Bowl MVP without a better team around him.

That is no different for Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees, who only won a Super Bowl when their defense stepped up with several critical takeaways and stops in the postseason.

Since they did, the national media ignores the fact that Rodgers is 0-18 at fourth-quarter comebacks against teams .500 or better in his career. They ignore that Brees has made the playoffs five times in 12 years and has 20 turnovers in the clutch in losses.

Those quarterbacks get the pass because they have the “precious” ring. Why someone like Rivers gets a pass is a mystery.

No one’s trying to put Romo in the Hall of Fame or on the same pedestal as Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, but the facts remain that he’s very good and gets held to one of the more ridiculous standards in the league.

There are other quarterbacks blowing games more often than Romo, and there aren’t as many giving their team a chance to win so often.

At the Cold, Hard Football Facts, we will continue to pay attention to every game and not just the ones called by Al Michaels. If you do that, you will see how silly it is to continue bashing one of the top 10 quarterbacks in the league who annually is the biggest reason Dallas has a chance to be relevant late in the season.

As we have said all week: Don’t believe the hype. The truth comes from the facts.

For some reason, the facts in “Big D” have been awful small for others to find.

Farmersfan
09-10-2014, 10:21 AM
Really Mac? You quote a article that captions "Tony Romo and Jason Garrett have had plenty to celebrate the last three seasons."

The "Tony Romo is misunderstood" or "Romo is held to a higher standard" argument has been garbage for a couple of years now. You can link to all the COWBOY WEBSITES you want that supports Romo and it changes nothing. I repeat what I say every single time you attempt to nit pic the stats to make your point: People all over the world way, way, way smarter than you and I have a dislike for Tony Romo. Even the actual players on the field elected him TWICE as the most overrated player in the entire league. NFL defensive players have stated on TV several times that they love playing Tony Romo because he will always throw them the ball. All these people didn't just simply wake up one morning and decide as a collective group to hate Tony Romo. The bottom line in all this is that Tony Romo EARNED all this negative attention by his antics off the field and his play on the field. END OF DISCUSSION!

Macarthur
09-10-2014, 10:32 AM
Really Mac? You quote a article that captions "Tony Romo and Jason Garrett have had plenty to celebrate the last three seasons."

After all the stuff I posted, you gloom onto a headline that is dubious?

The "Tony Romo is misunderstood" or "Romo is held to a higher standard" argument has been garbage for a couple of years now.

That was a small part of the article and editorial by the author. You can dismiss if you choose, but by doing that, you are avoiding the other 99% of the substance of the article.

You can link to all the COWBOY WEBSITES you want that supports Romo and it changes nothing. I repeat what I say every single time you attempt to nit pic the stats to make your point: People all over the world way, way, way smarter than you and I have a dislike for Tony Romo. Even the actual players on the field elected him TWICE as the most overrated player in the entire league. NFL defensive players have stated on TV several times that they love playing Tony Romo because he will always throw them the ball. All these people didn't just simply wake up one morning and decide as a collective group to hate Tony Romo. The bottom line in all this is that Tony Romo EARNED all this negative attention by his antics off the field and his play on the field. END OF DISCUSSION!

Only ONE of those link was a fansite. You can dismiss soley based on that, but the numbers used are legit.

The perception issue is a whole other discussion. First, the QB of the Cowboys is going to get extreme reactions simply based on that fact. Did Tony bring some of it on himself with using poor wording at time, yes, but to say he deserves ALL the negative attention and then to say 'END OF DISCUSSION' is just silliness.

Farmersfan
09-10-2014, 10:35 AM

"Intangibles" are called intangibles because there is no real way to measure them. A awful lot of people believe Romo is lacking a lot of the intangibles that make a QB a winner but how do we argue that. I think the only way to show that is to show Romo wins LESS with more around him than other QBs do. There are quite a few QBs in the NFL who could have or would have had a better win% than Romo with the team Romo has had since 06'..................

Macarthur
09-10-2014, 10:43 AM
"Intangibles" are called intangibles because there is no real way to measure them. A awful lot of people believe Romo is lacking a lot of the intangibles that make a QB a winner but how do we argue that. I think the only way to show that is to show Romo wins LESS with more around him than other QBs do. There are quite a few QBs in the NFL who could have or would have had a better win% than Romo with the team Romo has had since 06'..................

You are correct that there are no ways to measure these things.