PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Seals-Jones

lostaussie
09-06-2014, 09:16 PM
I'm glad he's an Aggie:D

44INAROW
09-06-2014, 09:52 PM
🏈he's fun to watch. I didn't get home until 9:00 tonight, thinking the game would be nearly over. Was happy there was a two hour delay. 😋

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

1st and goal
09-06-2014, 10:34 PM
I'm glad he's an Aggie:D

Why the thumbs down?

tango
09-07-2014, 02:37 AM
Just got home from the game. What a game! Even after over two hour weather delay the stands were still full and loud?

lostaussie
09-07-2014, 06:27 AM
Why the thumbs down?
That not thumbs down.........I'm really glad he's at Aggieland. Kid is a beast!!

Rabid Cougar
09-07-2014, 09:18 AM
I am glad Swoops is at tu...:rolleyes:

pirate4state
09-08-2014, 03:02 PM
That not thumbs down.........I'm really glad he's at Aggieland. Kid is a beast!!

it looks like you used a "thumbs down" in your subject line LOL

1st and goal
09-08-2014, 05:05 PM
it looks like you used a "thumbs down" in your subject line LOL

If that isn't a "thumbs down" what was it supposed to be? :)

I get it your a fan. I watched him a few times at Sealy too and he could possibly be the Lebron of football.

I love it he's healthy and getting a chance to show off his skills. Especially since he's an Aggie.

I've said online here (in the past) that he and Brandon Williams could carpool home to mama's cooking for supper if they want to.

caleb_mccaig
09-08-2014, 05:37 PM
I'm still pretty butthurt he chose A&M over LSU, especially with the WR's LSU has put into the NFL recently, but he's a hoss.

I know the reason he recommitted from Texas was that he wanted to play basketball too, is he doing that?

stxtiger
09-08-2014, 07:58 PM
I'm still pretty butthurt he chose A&M over LSU, especially with the WR's LSU has put into the NFL recently, but he's a hoss.

I know the reason he recommitted from Texas was that he wanted to play basketball too, is he doing that?

That's a lie. He decommitted from Texas because they kept telling him he would be a D End not a WR and he loves Coach Sumlin.

lostaussie
09-08-2014, 08:27 PM
The thumbsdown in the title line.......which I just now saw.......was evidently a result by accident of too many Coors lights. Let me assure all Aggie fan......the rest don't matter....I am VERY GLAD Ricky is an Aggie. Maybe a mod can help:D

maestro
09-08-2014, 08:38 PM
That's a lie. He decommitted from Texas because they kept telling him he would be a D End not a WR and he loves Coach Sumlin.

If this is true, it is par for Texas recruiters lately.

Coach Sumlin is the genuine deal. Heard him speak at a convention before he was at UH. I was very impressed.

44INAROW
09-09-2014, 09:41 AM
The thumbsdown in the title line... Maybe a mod can help:D

I fixed it :)

44INAROW
09-09-2014, 09:42 AM
The thumbsdown in the title line... Maybe a mod can help:D

It's fixed :)

caleb_mccaig
09-09-2014, 09:50 AM

Of course when I google him all that comes up is his arrest.

You can find any article that came out about his de-commitment and they all mention it's because he wanted to play both sports. Here is the first one I saw.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/texas-longhorns/20120605-report-five-star-wr-ricky-seals-jones-decommits-from-texas-lists-texas-am-baylor-as-options.ece

OLE'BULL
09-09-2014, 11:10 AM
He will be playing TE or a hybrid type (think Jimmy Graham) before he is done at aTm, or when/if he gets to the NFL. He is just too big (and growing by the minute!), and I am not sure he has the blazing speed that everyone thinks, or that is required for an NFL WR. He is freakishly fast for a kid that size, but not for an NFL WR.

Saggy Aggie
09-09-2014, 12:17 PM
Doesn't he run a 4.4? And he's got mean open field moves...

I think Calvin when I look at RSJ?

caleb_mccaig
09-09-2014, 12:26 PM

I definitely agree. Jimmy Graham is 6'7, that's a big difference from 6'5.

RSJ is way more comparable to Calvin, Brandon Marshall and Vincent Jackson.

OLE'BULL
09-09-2014, 03:58 PM

Most of what I have seen is 4.5's (which I would guess high 4.5's at best), and 4.6's. He even has self reported in one article that he runs a 4.65. I don't know what to believe, but I dont think he is running a 4.4. I have seen him play in high school and he is faster than most kids, but not 4.4 fast. Please don't misinterpret any of my comments, he is TALENTED and a freak of nature. Read the article where Sumlin talks about him when he got to campus. He said he reported at 225 and after a few weeks of summer weights and the training table he was 245 or 250. The strength staff told Sumlin the only way to keep him from gaining weight was to not allow him to lift, which would be rediculous. He also said he has an insanely low body fat percentage, which doesn't surprise me. Sumlin is quoted as saying "he is just a big dude". He will be 260-265 before he is done (and that could be in a year or two) unless they figure out something quick. At 265 he will be a TE/Hybrid. He could be one NOW.

OLE'BULL
09-09-2014, 04:14 PM
I definitely agree. Jimmy Graham is 6'7, that's a big difference from 6'5.

RSJ is way more comparable to Calvin, Brandon Marshall and Vincent Jackson.

Is it really though when I would guess the average NFL corner is 5'10"-5'11"? I don't think so. RSJ is long. I bet he plays taller than Graham because he probably has longer arms and jumps higher. Calvin Johnson runs a 4.35 forty, RSJ is nowhere close to Megatrons speed or ability. Vincent Jackson is a mid 4.4 guy. MAYBE RSJ compares to Brandon Marshall, but already weighs more than him and is not quite as fast. All I am saying is that RSJ just needs to watch his weight, work on his speed, and go out and prove himself THIS YEAR. Which he very well could, and probably will do. Until then, he is just another prospect with potential. He was injured most of his Senior year of high school and when he came back, was basically a non-factor. I am sure his injury had a lot to do with it, but a hyped up 4-5 star guy should be embarrassing 3A high school teams even at 75%. Bellville shut him completely down, minus one big run, his Junior and Senior year. He has yet to really prove himself, IMO. He played OK against South Carolina and pretty well against LAMAAR. He is very raw, but with the right coaching and training staff (which he has at A&M) he can be a star. I am rooting for him.

1st and goal
09-09-2014, 04:22 PM
When you can run down the field fast enough and literally steal the ball out of the air from opponents (think godzilla), he might just be the protege of a new style of muscular WR.

Think Dez, but even stronger when he get a couple more years on him.

OLE'BULL
09-09-2014, 04:31 PM
When you can run down the field fast enough and literally steal the ball out of the air from opponents (think godzilla), he might just be the protege of a new style of muscular WR.

Think Dez, but even stronger when he get a couple more years on him.

Dez Bryant is 6'2" and 225ish. RSJ is already bigger and stronger. Dez is faster. Not really a good comparison. Dez is a more prototypical WR. I don't see RSJ shedding enough weight to run a 4.4 or low to mid 4.5. Again, I hope he proves me wrong.

OLE'BULL
09-09-2014, 04:37 PM
Think Julius Thomas but better...

lostaussie
09-09-2014, 04:44 PM
All charges against RSJ have been dropped according to Bleacher Report

Saggy Aggie
09-09-2014, 05:52 PM
He played OK against South Carolina and pretty well against LAMAAR. OK vs SC?

Hill threw the ball to 12 different receivers, yet RSJ had 67 yards and TD (and another TD taken away by review and placed at the one yd line)... Dude was unstoppable everytime he touched the rock...

OldBison75
09-09-2014, 08:59 PM
To all those folks that are questioning RSJ's abilities, take off your jaded glasses and remember some facts that had a lot to do with what we saw his last two years of high school. First, he had numerous injuries over that time span because he was playing out of position and having to tuck and run from scrimmage a lot. Teams were focused on him all the time and he took a lot of shots to the legs and knees. Second, playing as a QB took away a huge portion of his ability to shine in the Sealy system they designed around him. He was a below average passing QB and they tried to make him a running and scrambling sensation. It did not take teams long to learn that the key to stopping Sealy was to control the running game because they were not gonna win many games with passing. Third, his senior year, he played nearly the entire season with the same knee injury that ended up with surgery last year.

As for the comment that as a 4 or 5 star recruit he should have been running all over 3A competition, he did quite often. Yes, there were some bad nights, but it had nothing to do with the skills and athletic abilities the young man possessed. Defenses designed specifically to contain him and injuries were his downfall.

Navasota beat RSJ and the Sealy team regularly and I can assure you that every time they met, Fedora was making a plan designed to keep him under control. This was a kid that could literally take over a game if the defense was not prepared for him. As for speed, he may not be the fastest, but he is sneaky fast. He has that long stride that eats up yards while he looks like he is cruising along. I watched more times than I can count that a defender took a bad angle and he was by them before they knew what was happening. When you are the size he is now, even with mid 4.5 speed, you don't have to outrun every defender to be successful. Give him two years under Sumlin and company at A & M, and he will be a very highly recruited WR in the NFL.

OLE'BULL
09-09-2014, 09:32 PM
OK vs SC?

Hill threw the ball to 12 different receivers, yet RSJ had 67 yards and TD (and another TD taken away by review and placed at the one yd line)... Dude was unstoppable everytime he touched the rock...

Yes, OK. One reception was 40ish yards. And that TD wasn't "taken away", it wasn't a TD and was corrected.

OLE'BULL
09-09-2014, 09:51 PM
To all those folks that are questioning RSJ's abilities, take off your jaded glasses and remember some facts that had a lot to do with what we saw his last two years of high school. First, he had numerous injuries over that time span because he was playing out of position and having to tuck and run from scrimmage a lot. Teams were focused on him all the time and he took a lot of shots to the legs and knees. Second, playing as a QB took away a huge portion of his ability to shine in the Sealy system they designed around him. He was a below average passing QB and they tried to make him a running and scrambling sensation. It did not take teams long to learn that the key to stopping Sealy was to control the running game because they were not gonna win many games with passing. Third, his senior year, he played nearly the entire season with the same knee injury that ended up with surgery last year.

As for the comment that as a 4 or 5 star recruit he should have been running all over 3A competition, he did quite often. Yes, there were some bad nights, but it had nothing to do with the skills and athletic abilities the young man possessed. Defenses designed specifically to contain him and injuries were his downfall.

Navasota beat RSJ and the Sealy team regularly and I can assure you that every time they met, Fedora was making a plan designed to keep him under control. This was a kid that could literally take over a game if the defense was not prepared for him. As for speed, he may not be the fastest, but he is sneaky fast. He has that long stride that eats up yards while he looks like he is cruising along. I watched more times than I can count that a defender took a bad angle and he was by them before they knew what was happening. When you are the size he is now, even with mid 4.5 speed, you don't have to outrun every defender to be successful. Give him two years under Sumlin and company at A & M, and he will be a very highly recruited WR in the NFL.

I will try to address as much of you post as possible:

His knee injury was caused by him making a tackle on Defense. Teams focused on Vince Young, Adrian Peterson, Johnny Manziel, etc in high school/college and they managed to succeed. That's what superstars do. If he was able to play on that knee his senior year, then make it through summer camp at A&M, it couldn't have bothered him too bad. It was obviously a new injury caused by prior damage in the Rice game last year.

Again, a highly touted athlete like him succeeds whether defenses key on him or not. Fedora and everyone else prepared for him. Agreed on the long stride, he is deceptive, all long striders are whether they run a 4.3 or a 6 flat. Going back to my earlier quote, he has the right coaches to become a star, he just isn't there yet. As I mentioned I am a RSJ fan and also root for the Ags. I hope he blows it out this year and has 1500 yds and 15 TDs. I just refuse to fall for the hype (see final years of Mack Brown and his recruiting efforts). Production is what I follow, consistent production. Those are the guys who get paid. RSJ should and probably will get paid, just probably not as a true NFL wide receiver. It's not like that is bad thing either. Somehow everyone has misconstrued my original comments into making me look like I think he sucks.

Saggy Aggie
09-09-2014, 10:55 PM

His knee injury was caused by him making a tackle on Defense. Teams focused on Vince Young, Adrian Peterson, Johnny Manziel, etc in high school/college and they managed to succeed. That's what superstars do. If he was able to play on that knee his senior year, then make it through summer camp at A&M, it couldn't have bothered him too bad. It was obviously a new injury caused by prior damage in the Rice game last year.

Again, a highly touted athlete like him succeeds whether defenses key on him or not. Fedora and everyone else prepared for him. Agreed on the long stride, he is deceptive, all long striders are whether they run a 4.3 or a 6 flat. Going back to my earlier quote, he has the right coaches to become a star, he just isn't there yet. As I mentioned I am a RSJ fan and also root for the Ags. I hope he blows it out this year and has 1500 yds and 15 TDs. I just refuse to fall for the hype (see final years of Mack Brown and his recruiting efforts). Production is what I follow, consistent production. Those are the guys who get paid. RSJ should and probably will get paid, just probably not as a true NFL wide receiver. It's not like that is bad thing either. Somehow everyone has misconstrued my original comments into making me look like I think he sucks.

Difference between RSJ and those others is that Ricky was playing a position that wasn't his natural position

OLE'BULL
09-10-2014, 06:16 AM
Difference between RSJ and those others is that Ricky was playing a position that wasn't his natural position

He played WR 50% of the game I saw against Bellville. When he was at QB they sure ran a lot of zone reads, QB draws, etc. He had plenty of opportunities with the ball in his hand. He was playing where his coach thought it gave his team the best chance to win. Unfortunately that's how it works in most, if not all high schools. He isn't the only star who has had to play out of position in high school, it happens all the time. I will continue to say it: I hope he has a great career at A&M and in the NFL, and probavly will. It just might not be as a true wide out, that was my original comment. I would imagine he doesn't care as long as he is successful. Not sure how y'all have spun this into me not thinking highly of him, oh well...

stxtiger
09-10-2014, 10:40 AM

You are a fool. He played the last games of his high school career with a high ankle sprain. Do you know how hard those are on on tall athletes? He could not cut or run like normal, it effected him all the way until district play of basketball season when he finally got healthy. He suffered the injury the 3rd series of his first game back from the knee injury against Columbus. Take off your Bellville glasses and get over he is from Sealy. He is a once in a lifetime athlete. He will be a NFL WR and will get paid. And he is such a good kid he will then give back to the community of Sealy which he loves.

He has played unbelievable for A&M this year. There was a receiver with 13 catches against South Carolina but all of the talking heads talked about how unstoppable Ricky will be as the year goes on. Don't forget he is basically playing the first 2 full games of his college career. The knee injury was on the opposite knee as the one in high school so stop talking about things you do not know.

Weebe
09-10-2014, 11:44 AM
If RSJ can stay healthy he will be a first round pick. Think Eric Ebron from last year's draft.

OLE'BULL
09-10-2014, 12:18 PM
You are a fool. He played the last games of his high school career with a high ankle sprain. Do you know how hard those are on on tall athletes? He could not cut or run like normal, it effected him all the way until district play of basketball season when he finally got healthy. He suffered the injury the 3rd series of his first game back from the knee injury against Columbus. Take off your Bellville glasses and get over he is from Sealy. He is a once in a lifetime athlete. He will be a NFL WR and will get paid. And he is such a good kid he will then give back to the community of Sealy which he loves.

He has played unbelievable for A&M this year. There was a receiver with 13 catches against South Carolina but all of the talking heads talked about how unstoppable Ricky will be as the year goes on. Don't forget he is basically playing the first 2 full games of his college career. The knee injury was on the opposite knee as the one in high school so stop talking about things you do not know.

The knee was the topic, that's why I addressed it. I don't know what position he was playing when he sprained his ankle, doesn't matter. Someone mentioned getting hit at the knees all the time at QB and inferred that was how he hurt it. Bellville glasses? Really? I AM ROOTING FOR HIM. I HOPE AND THINK HE WILL MAKE IT TO THE NFL AFTER BEING SUCCESSFUL AT A&M. I HOPE HE GETS PAID. How much clearer do I have to be?!?!?! I only mention it in every post that I am a fan of his. I just don't think he has played "unbelievable" this year. Sorry, I just don't. That's not to say he won't come out against Rice and have a breakout game. He just hasn't done it to date. As the year goes on HE PROBABLY WILL be unstoppable. Y'all are unbelievable. Please read my posts, or I can recap them all for you: He doesn't run a 4.4, he is so big and strong that my guess is he will be in some sort of TE/Hybrid role before he is done at A&M (thats not a bad thing), I have not been overly impressed to date (but what do I know, that doesn't mean anything), I do not think he has had a breakout performance YET, I hope and think that he will, I hope he is successful, I am rooting for him, I am sure he will be a star, I know he has the ability to be a star, he is a rare athlete. I don't really know how else to explain myself. I feel like I have been pretty clear.

caleb_mccaig
09-10-2014, 12:30 PM

I think it's a bit of a stretch saying that a sophomore (or did he get a medical last year?) WR will get paid in the NFL when there are so many things that can happen still. The 1st round pick salaries aren't at all what they were five or so years ago and only about 1/3 of the 1st round picks actually end up getting a second contract with high figures.

He has the body, but as WR's go, there have been some that have had issues with big bodies and staying in playing shape, like Mike Williams, USC, and Alshon Jeffrey, his entire first year in the NFL.

Not doubting at all, he's impressed, but there are still too many intangibles out there to guarantee that he is a 1st round draft pick.

The Bull #40
09-10-2014, 12:59 PM
If RSJ can stay healthy he will be a first round pick. Think Eric Ebron from last year's draft.

Eric Ebron is the comparison I was thinking of. Big and strong like RSJ, BUT PLAYS TE not WR in the NFL.

The Bull #40
09-10-2014, 01:07 PM

Idk about Bellville glasses, I think you need to take off your SEALY glasses and realize he is a great athlete and receiver but not a "once in a lifetime" athlete. RSJ will be a great player for the Aggies but I think he'll be a TE/WR hybrid in the NFL.

coach
09-10-2014, 02:54 PM

According to Eric Dickerson, he is aleady getting paid lol... Oh yea, and I heard somewhere that they were cousins lol

OLE'BULL
09-10-2014, 03:30 PM
According to Eric Dickerson, he is aleady getting paid lol... Oh yea, and I heard somewhere that they were cousins lol

Be careful coach, some of the Sealy faithful might misinterpret your comments/jokes!

Saggy Aggie
09-13-2014, 09:01 PM
Just caught another TD...

OLE'BULL
09-14-2014, 07:50 AM
I saw it. He will be hard to stop near the end zone. Just throw it up to him and he will come down with it, though he just made a good football play and got open on the one last night. What were his stats last night?

Saggy Aggie
09-14-2014, 09:40 AM
5/42/1