PDA

View Full Version : Region 4 GOTW: La Vernia @ La Grange

Pudlugger
09-05-2014, 11:32 PM
The Leopards host the Bears in a big match up of two good football teams hoping to go 3-0. La Vernia comes in off a convincing win against 5A Port La Vaca Calhoun while La Grange frustrated a determined Columbus Cardinals, both now sporting 2-0 records. The Bears like to run the ball and so far the Leps have been able to handle two good running teams in Liberty Hill and now Columbus. This will be a real slobberknocker and will be close one way or the other. Who do you got?

iFootball
09-05-2014, 11:34 PM
GAME OF THE WEEK Region 4

Pudlugger
09-06-2014, 08:57 AM
This will be a defensive struggle as both first team defenses go into the game giving up only a single td. I'll go with the Leps on their "explosive score from anywhere on the field offense" and home field advantage by 7.

21-14 Leps.

buff4ever
09-06-2014, 09:37 AM
I think that la vernia is going to prove that they are that good this week. Should be a good game though.

Snotbubbles
09-06-2014, 10:59 AM
Bo's Boy's big. LaVernia by 28. They for real.

Pudlugger
09-06-2014, 11:11 AM

Not so fast snot. Strength of schedules and comparable scores suggest a very close game.

Snotbubbles
09-06-2014, 11:15 AM
Not so fast snot. Strength of schedules and comparable scores suggest a very close game.

You got that right. LV BIG.

Pudlugger
09-06-2014, 01:02 PM
You got that right. LV BIG.

Size wise LG and LV are about equal on the O line. Speed wise LG>LV. Strength of schedule pretty much equal(LG>LH>Brenham; LV>Calhoun; LG>Columbus LV>Wimberley). Home field advantage =LG. LV has more size in backfield with Montgomery 210 lbs and has big LBs. Special teams LG>LV.

Both teams are pretty much equal imo, at least on paper. But you still must play the game. Which team makes fewer penalties and turnovers wins.

LV_Bearfan
09-06-2014, 06:53 PM
Size wise LG and LV are about equal on the O line. Speed wise LG>LV. Strength of schedule pretty much equal(LG>LH>Brenham; LV>Calhoun; LG>Columbus LV>Wimberley). Home field advantage =LG. LV has more size in backfield with Montgomery 210 lbs and has big LBs. Special teams LG>LV.

Both teams are pretty much equal imo, at least on paper. But you still must play the game. Which team makes fewer penalties and turnovers wins.

I can't argue too much with that reasoning. I thought these teams would have matched up well last year with an edge to LG. I hope that has flipped just a bit. I expect a great game.

Pudlugger
09-06-2014, 08:30 PM
I was going over the new roster for LG. I was mistaken, this is not a young team. They have several new starters, yes, but 31 0f the 43 players on the team are seniors. That translates into leadership and poise. This may be a very special year for the Leopards. In 2001 when the Leps went to state they had 26 seniors out of 36. When 75% of your team has 4 years of hs football experience plus playoff time it can't be a bad thing.

the genious
09-06-2014, 11:50 PM
LG has the lightning and thunder going for them! #5 runs hard gets the tough yards and lays the wood on defense while #22 is one of if not the most electrifying player you will see in person and he makes tacklers look silly and is the center fielder of their defense.. I think LG is going to have a special season I just have that feeling.. From what everybody is saying above it should be a great game!

WOS87
09-07-2014, 01:21 AM
IMO this is the only game LG could possibly lose until the playoffs against the likes of LM or WOS

Snotbubbles
09-07-2014, 01:24 AM
LG has the lightning and thunder going for them! #5 runs hard gets the tough yards and lays the wood on defense while #22 is one of if not the most electrifying player you will see in person and he makes tacklers look silly and is the center fielder of their defense.. I think LG is going to have a special season I just have that feeling.. From what everybody is saying above it should be a great game!

LV has no super stars. Not the fastest, quickest, strongest, biggest. They just play awesome ball together.

WOS87
09-07-2014, 01:29 AM
LV has no super stars. Not the fastest, quickest, strongest, biggest. They just play awesome ball together.

That's not a bad thing. One-man teams are glass houses.

tango
09-07-2014, 02:38 AM
This should be a great game. Wish I could watch it.

Pudlugger
09-07-2014, 08:06 AM
That's not a bad thing. One-man teams are glass houses.

WOS87 please don't think the Leopards are a one man team. Thirty one seniors playing together since 7th grade plus loads of talent on both sides of the LOS makes for a very cohesive and confident football team. The genious (sp) is correct in his assessment of #5 and #22 but we do have the talent where it is needed to win games. #10 Rigden (6' 3" 210 lbs) our WR and kicker (47 yard FG week 1) is one of the most gifted athletes I have seen play for the Leps in a long time. We in LG are very excited about this team and our prospects this year. I agree that La Vernia is the best we will face in the regular season but Giddings has to be considered right up there too as the rivalry is so intense.

BTW expect to see #22 over center and in the wildcat Friday.

Pudlugger
09-07-2014, 07:26 PM
Perhaps an LV poster would discuss what LV brings to this match. Particularly their offense. Is it balanced or does it favor the run? Do they mostly run out of the I formation, shotgun or wing t? I understand they have an excellent WR and a fine Qb with a strong arm. Tell us more please.

LV_Bearfan
09-07-2014, 10:51 PM
Perhaps an LV poster would discuss what LV brings to this match. Particularly their offense. Is it balanced or does it favor the run? Do they mostly run out of the I formation, shotgun or wing t? I understand they have an excellent WR and a fine Qb with a strong arm. Tell us more please.

LV has solid athletes at the skill positions, but it is line play that sets this team apart. The quick LBs stay clean and make plays all over the field because the line does its job very well. The line does an excellent job of shedding blocks and disrupting plays before they can develop.
QB play is very good with a senior who came into his own during last year's run. A year of continued growth in the position has been huge for an already good player. He is a very efficient passer and is most valuable on the critical occasions when he takes off and runs. He is an accurate passer when on the move. La Vernia does little that is flashy on offense. There is very little misdirection. They will line up and run it right at opponents and depend on their execution to be successful. They use multiple backs and get the receivers involved in the run game. They have a very balanced attack with several dependable receivers who have produced explosive plays the first two weeks. Special teams are a strength.

buff4ever
09-08-2014, 08:38 AM
LV has solid athletes at the skill positions, but it is line play that sets this team apart. The quick LBs stay clean and make plays all over the field because the line does its job very well. The line does an excellent job of shedding blocks and disrupting plays before they can develop.
QB play is very good with a senior who came into his own during last year's run. A year of continued growth in the position has been huge for an already good player. He is a very efficient passer and is most valuable on the critical occasions when he takes off and runs. He is an accurate passer when on the move. La Vernia does little that is flashy on offense. There is very little misdirection. They will line up and run it right at opponents and depend on their execution to be successful. They use multiple backs and get the receivers involved in the run game. They have a very balanced attack with several dependable receivers who have produced explosive plays the first two weeks. Special teams are a strength.

What lvbearfan just said was that they have no weaknesses and they are going to kick leopard butt.

I do think it appears that lv has a really good team, because Wimberley had some good talent and didn't fare too well against them in week 0.

Pudlugger
09-08-2014, 09:52 AM
What lvbearfan just said was that they have no weaknesses and they are going to kick leopard butt.

I do think it appears that lv has a really good team, because Wimberley had some good talent and didn't fare too well against them in week 0.

Buff that's what most folks said about our game with Liberty Hill. It would appear that the majority opinion on this board is that La Grange is somehow over rated. We shall see how this plays out.:cool:

YTBulldogs
09-08-2014, 10:27 AM
majority opinion on this board is that La Grange is somehow over rated.
Could be, most had under rated LaVernia prior. Not sure it's the other way around. LG is for real with those talented backs. Should be a great game.

Snotbubbles
09-08-2014, 10:35 AM
After Friday, you'll be in the majority Pud.

Like I said, you'll be faster, stronger, quicker then the Bears. And, scratching your head, how this game came out like it did. The lefty QB will not hurt himself. He just makes plays. Not flashy at all. "D" swarms the ball better than any HS team I ever seen. That's the Bo in them.

LV_Bearfan
09-08-2014, 11:15 AM
Buff that's what most folks said about our game with Liberty Hill. It would appear that the majority opinion on this board is that La Grange is somehow over rated. We shall see how this plays out.:cool:

Pud, I don't think anyone discounts the Leopards. I think folks (outside of La Vernia) are just really surprised by what LV has put on the field this year. It's not such a surprise that LG has another excellent team. The win this past week got a lot of folks excited, but we don't really know how good Calhoun is this year. Wimberley seems like they have a pretty good team after all, but the jury is still out. We know for sure La Grange is very good, so the Bears will have earned the praise if they can pull this one out. Snotty likes to make bold predictions, but he's also pretty good about eating crow if he's wrong. He's adopted LV as his team to follow, and we're glad to have another fan, but I think most LV people know this will be one very tough contest.

Pudlugger
09-08-2014, 11:25 AM
After Friday, you'll be in the majority Pud.

Like I said, you'll be faster, stronger, quicker then the Bears. And, scratching your head, how this game came out like it did. The lefty QB will not hurt himself. He just makes plays. Not flashy at all. "D" swarms the ball better than any HS team I ever seen. That's the Bo in them.

Well they better be able to stop the Leps around the corners. LH and Columbus could not without the speed of LG even though both these teams had really strong DEs in #3 for LH and #49 for Columbus. We have two legit 4.3-4.4 backs in #5 Hutchison and #22 Dobbins that play both ways. Also, #22 Dobbins will be playing Qb a good part of the time and he can not only run but he can pass as well. Both these players are being heavily recruited. Dobbins is only a sophomore. I heard that Duke is recruiting Hutchison.

hookandladder
09-08-2014, 11:25 AM
Bo could have been coaching the Leps this week against LV had things worked out, with that being said I know Bo does a great job at LV year in and year out. This game will tell a lot about this years Lep team. Yes LG has a number of senior players however with a huge senior class last year also a number of them seniors this year are starting for the first time, this game will be won down in the trenches. LH had a hard time of running right at LG and it sounds as if LV will try to do the same, the Leps will be run heavy also and expect to see #22 at QB more this week. When the ball is in his hands something exciting normally happens, with him and #5 in the backfield if the OL gives them any little seam Look out. Should be a great game , Leps by 10.

Snotbubbles
09-08-2014, 11:44 AM
Snotty likes to make bold predictions, but he's also pretty good about eating crow if he's wrong. He's adopted LV as his team to follow, and we're glad to have another fan, but I think most LV people know this will be one very tough contest.

I call them as I see them. Kinda like Hook does. And yes, I'll eat crow when I'm wrong. Like last year when Sinton put it on us. Can't wait for that rematch. Since moving to the big city of Sutherland Springs (oil boom) 3 years ago (we need a Whataburger) I have become a big Bear backer. Floresville and Stockdale didn't excite me. Plus, Bo played DE for the best college in Texas (Hook'em) didn't hurt in determining who to follow. He is one amazing coach, and the kid's are fearless of opponents. Chip off the old Bo I say. Even when often out sized, slower than their opponents, who has these star studded athletes all over the field. They buy into what he prepares them for each Friday night. Love watching them execute the game plan. It's not flashy, but in the end, it's a W more times than not.

Snotbubbles
09-08-2014, 11:48 AM
Bo could have been coaching the Leps this week against LV had things worked out,

Glad LaVernia made a Sup change to help in this Hook. She seems like a great lady and they work well together it appears. Glad he stayed put. His son could be the next Bears signal caller too. Kid as a 8th grader could chunk the ball 60 yards in the air.

LV_Bearfan
09-08-2014, 12:22 PM
Well they better be able to stop the Leps around the corners. LH and Columbus could not without the speed of LG even though both these teams had really strong DEs in #3 for LH and #49 for Columbus. We have two legit 4.3-4.4 backs in #5 Hutchison and #22 Dobbins that play both ways. Also, #22 Dobbins will be playing Qb a good part of the time and he can not only run but he can pass as well. Both these players are being heavily recruited. Dobbins is only a sophomore. I heard that Duke is recruiting Hutchison.

Pudlugger, I'm also interested to see if those speed guys get the corners against LV. PL Calhoun killed us early in the season last year to the tune of 50+ points by getting the third option outside pitch to daylight. This year, they scored 7 points. What that means exactly, I'm not sure just yet. They always seem to have 4.5 guys aplenty over there in Crabbyville. I know Wharton planned to do that in the playoffs last year also. They watched LV's game tape from the Calhoun game and planned to get outside with their speed. They also scored 7 points with their 4.4-4.5 guys. LV brings back the same defense. If LG does it, they will be the first to do it in a while. I am not saying they won't, but I'd be surprised if they do. That being said, LG's D also has the potential to slow LV's offense. I see a 24-21 type of game. I'd be happy with 28-27 in favor of La Vernia this time. ;)

Papá Oso
09-08-2014, 01:12 PM
LV Fan nailed with the Wharton speed pre game talk from last year. The LV DL is pretty quick sideline to sideline and their main job isn't really to get the tackle, It's to take up blockers and string things out so the athletic LB's and quick safety's stay clean and make the plays. LV is use to be being the slower team and the coaches know how to game plan accordingly, last team that I can remember a team actually beating us with pure speed was probably West Columbia 4 years ago in the regional final. Offense about 80% of the time is we're going line up and count on our line being better than your line and taking what we get and then lining up and doing it again lol. The other 20% will be taking shots with the 3 yr starter at qb, good strong accurate arm and even better at making the right decisions and not turning the ball over. Been a pleasure watching him mature as all around qb and leader from where he stated when thrown into the fire as a soph. Going to be a close game imo, turnovers will be big. Home field will be worth 3 points so I'll only take LV by 4 :)

LV -28
LG -24

Snotbubbles
09-08-2014, 01:47 PM
LV Fan nailed with the Wharton speed pre game talk from last year. The LV DL is pretty quick sideline to sideline and their main job isn't really to get the tackle, It's to take up blockers and string things out so the athletic LB's and quick safety's stay clean and make the plays. LV is use to be being the slower team and the coaches know how to game plan accordingly, last team that I can remember a team actually beating us with pure speed was probably West Columbia 4 years ago in the regional final. Offense about 80% of the time is we're going line up and count on our line being better than your line and taking what we get and then lining up and doing it again lol. The other 20% will be taking shots with the 3 yr starter at qb, good strong accurate arm and even better at making the right decisions and not turning the ball over. Been a pleasure watching him mature as all around qb and leader from where he stated when thrown into the fire as a soph. Going to be a close game imo, turnovers will be big. Home field will be worth 3 points so I'll only take LV by 4 :)

LV -28
LG -24

:thumbsup: Just put a 2 in front of your predicted 4. Go Bears!!!!!!! No way this "D" gives up 24.

Pudlugger
09-08-2014, 02:08 PM
FWIW not everyone sees things the way folks here do. I realize ratings don't mean that much just like the opinions here but MaxPreps using strictly an objective formula has La Grange #1 in 4A DII and La Vernia #5 in 4A DI. They have LG #45 overall classifications in state and LV #48. This will be an epic battle. Go Leps!

http://www.maxpreps.com/list/rankings.aspx?gendersport=boys,football&ranktype=statedivision&schoolid=731ae8c9-8f26-4a66-ba4a-fedd9aab4a5f&statedivisionid=7916da6d-48e0-4699-8bb5-d1743c4641dd

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/la-vernia-bears-%28la-vernia,tx%29/football/rankings.htm#state_division_rankings

speedbump
09-08-2014, 03:21 PM
FWIW not everyone sees things the way folks here do. I realize ratings don't mean that much just like the opinions here but MaxPreps using strictly an objective formula has La Grange #1 in 4A DII and La Vernia #5 in 4A DI. They have LG #45 overall classifications in state and LV #48. This will be an epic battle. Go Leps!

http://www.maxpreps.com/list/rankings.aspx?gendersport=boys,football&ranktype=statedivision&schoolid=731ae8c9-8f26-4a66-ba4a-fedd9aab4a5f&statedivisionid=7916da6d-48e0-4699-8bb5-d1743c4641dd

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/la-vernia-bears-%28la-vernia,tx%29/football/rankings.htm#state_division_rankings

MaxPreps - LOL Even worse than AP.

Pudlugger
09-08-2014, 03:41 PM
MaxPreps - LOL Even worse than AP.

Actually as the season progresses they tend to be pretty accurate. That is because they rely solely on objective criteria so the more data the more refined the rankings become. AP is just based on sportswriters bias and we all know how trustworthy journalists are LOL.

speedbump
09-08-2014, 04:09 PM
Actually as the season progresses they tend to be pretty accurate. That is because they rely solely on objective criteria so the more data the more refined the rankings become. AP is just based on sportswriters bias and we all know how trustworthy journalists are LOL.

Objective criteria in this case is simply hindsight. Even at that I'll bet they get at least four of the final eight in their top 20. They are a joke.

Sville
09-08-2014, 04:18 PM
Fun game here, Padilla Poll has La Vernia as the #2 team in D1 and La Grange as the #2 team in D2 with LV picked to win the game by 7.

LV_Bearfan
09-08-2014, 04:32 PM
Another perspective below from Calhoun folks.......

http://www.texas4asports.com/thread/4120/calhoun-10-4a-la-vernia?page=7

Pudlugger
09-08-2014, 06:35 PM
Another perspective below from Calhoun folks.......

http://www.texas4asports.com/thread/4120/calhoun-10-4a-la-vernia?page=7

Thanks for the link LV Bearfan. I read the thread and what i got out of it is:
1. Calhoun fans were way overconfident.
2. La Vernia is a very good football team that plays hard, is well coached and with has great discipline.
3. Calhoun will be a 5-5 team or 4-6 team this year and if they advance to the playoffs will lose in Bidistrict.
4. Texasdownlow is the best board for 4A football and has the greatest posters!
5. This game is going to be epic.

LV_Bearfan
09-08-2014, 07:03 PM
Good summary.

tango
09-08-2014, 09:20 PM
I would like for LG to win this one however this could very well be LV's year! LV in a close one.

speedbump
09-09-2014, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the link LV Bearfan. I read the thread and what i got out of it is:
1. Calhoun fans were way overconfident.
2. La Vernia is a very good football team that plays hard, is well coached and with has great discipline.
3. Calhoun will be a 5-5 team or 4-6 team this year and if they advance to the playoffs will lose in Bidistrict.
4. Texasdownlow is the best board for 4A football and has the greatest posters!
5. This game is going to be epic.

My concern for your health causes me to suggest you stay home and let folks give you the results a little at a time.

Pudlugger
09-09-2014, 08:59 AM
My concern for your health causes me to suggest you stay home and let folks give you the results a little at a time.

Thanks for your concern Speedy but I prefer to watch the game from my 50 yard line reserved seats and celebrate LG's victory.:D

speedbump
09-09-2014, 09:04 AM
Thanks for your concern Speedy but I prefer to watch the game from my 50 yard line reserved seats and celebrate LG's victory.:D

Well ... at least take portable oxygen. Should be a good un. I've been under estimating LV so far. This one should give me a better idea.

gobbla4life
09-09-2014, 09:46 AM
Man , this is gonna be a good one. I don't have a dog in the fight , but wow what a matchup. Good luck to both.
LG IN A CLOSE ONE!!

Pudlugger
09-09-2014, 09:47 AM
Speedy I understand how you feel about LG after the poor showing we had against the run with El Campo in our first scrimmage. Our defense is much improved now against the run after holding LH scoreless until midway into the last quarter when LH scored against our second D on a long pass. Against Columbus the defense only gave up 6 points on a short field due to a fumble and that was on a pass play to their TE(one of two passes that the Cards threw iirc). My concern is how good will our secondary be against LV's passing attack. I expect the Bears will throw the ball quite a bit Friday and the Leps need to be prepared to defend the pass. Our secondary is very fast with Hutchison and Dobbins and we have a tall and athletic DB in #10 Rigden. Yes it will be an exciting game.

PappaFeelGood
09-09-2014, 10:22 AM
This game will be "GREAT". I am picking LaGrange by the toe of Rigden (24-21). LaGrange will have to execute better than they did in the first half last week, if not it will be a long night. I feel Kats et. al. will have them prepared. GO LEPS!!!!!

1st and goal
09-09-2014, 11:25 AM
This has the makings for a real slobberknocker. I think it is a toss up and the winner will be decided by turnovers.

Pudlugger
09-09-2014, 12:28 PM
This game will be "GREAT". I am picking LaGrange by the toe of Rigden (24-21). LaGrange will have to execute better than they did in the first half last week, if not it will be a long night. I feel Kats et. al. will have them prepared. GO LEPS!!!!!

PapaFeelGood that 1st Quarter was very ugly. Credit the Cards Defense some but the Leps shot themselves in the foot on their firs and second possessions. It wasn't until the Cards scored after the fumble on the Leopard 12 that the offense settled down. They were out of sync early on perhaps getting used to a new signal caller(off sidesx2) and an odd mixture of play calls on the initial possession. That being said they will have had this week to accustom themselves to the new dynamic of Dobbins rotating at QB. Our Defense played a solid game and should be ready for the Bears. The Lep secondary will be tested Friday. Carthage saw a weakness in our secondary and took advantage of their two fine tall receivers. This year we are bigger and taller in the secondary and should be able to cover the Bear receivers with our speed.

I expect the Bears to run between tackles two or three times then hit their wideout over the middle or go vertical when the safeties come up for the run. The Leps will need to defense that.

Snotbubbles
09-09-2014, 12:48 PM
This year we are bigger and taller in the secondary and should be able to cover the Bear receivers with our speed.

Like I said, all are faster, taller, bigger than us. Keep pulling the rope together Bears.

YTBulldogs
09-09-2014, 12:53 PM
Like I said, all are faster, taller, bigger than us. Keep pulling the rope together Bears.
I think I read somewhere or seen a old interview of Gordon Wood speaking about his teams. They were not the fastest, quickest, strongest, tallest. They dern sure played great as a team though. This one should be fun as a fan.

Pudlugger
09-09-2014, 05:59 PM
I think I read somewhere or seen a old interview of Gordon Wood speaking about his teams. They were not the fastest, quickest, strongest, tallest. They dern sure played great as a team though. This one should be fun as a fan.

That is true in more than just sports. You may not be the smartest kid, or the best looking kid or the richest kid but if you work hard and do not give up you can achieve a great deal in this great country. Sports, especially the game of football, teaches a kid that. It makes the sweat and pain and bruises worth it in the long run when you take those lessons into the game of life.

This La Grange football team is special group of young men three quarters of them are seniors playing their last season of football. Perhaps two or three will go on to play on Saturdays, the rest will go on with life as fans of the game. Each game is the big game to this team and I know they will respect the Bears and meet them on the field not as a ragtag group of eleven boys but, as King Harry said, "we few, we happy few, we band of brothers".*

*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-yZNMWFqvM

LGfrog
09-10-2014, 06:57 AM
First post of this season, I think that LG will be able to pull of a win against LV and be just fine for many weeks to come, after the liberty hill game and then liberty hill beating Brenham I think it will be a good game no doubt but it's going to be a LG win, good luck to them (36-28)

Snotbubbles
09-10-2014, 11:15 AM
First post of this season, I think that LG will be able to pull of a win against LV and be just fine for many weeks to come, after the liberty hill game and then liberty hill beating Brenham I think it will be a good game no doubt but it's going to be a LG win, good luck to them (36-28)

Welcome back frog. One thing I'm certain of, Bears will not come close to giving up 36. Should be a good snotbubbles type game. Feeling froggy, jump. ribit, ribit!!!

YTBulldogs
09-10-2014, 11:23 AM
I agree. Classic game here. I can see it being low scoring (winner under 20) and being played between the 30's. Something odd like a fake punt (LG always uses one of these against us) or a block punt/FG/Xtra point returned for a score to determine the winner.

LGfrog
09-10-2014, 11:23 AM
Welcome back frog. One thing I'm certain of, Bears will not come close to giving up 36. Should be a good snotbubbles type game. Feeling froggy, jump. ribit, ribit!!!
well if you put two guys one you left the other guy wide open, I've seen a lot of great duo's before... but you cannot say you have seen a better duo than #5 & #22. i'm feeling froggy and i'm going to stay with (36-28)

Snotbubbles
09-10-2014, 11:28 AM
but you cannot say you have seen a better duo than #5 & #22.

They are studs and best duo. Have you seen the other 11 on the other side of the ball?

LGfrog
09-10-2014, 11:34 AM
They are studs and best duo. Have you seen the other 11 on the other side of the ball?

sure have watched him many of times, great kid great athlete but i honestly don't think he has what #5 and #22 bring to the field. much anticipated game this weekend. #speedkillsX2

LV_Bearfan
09-10-2014, 11:57 AM
sure have watched him many of times, great kid great athlete but i honestly don't think he has what #5 and #22 bring to the field. much anticipated game this weekend. #speedkillsX2

I think he meant the 11 guys on the Bear defense....

LGfrog
09-10-2014, 12:00 PM
Ha thank you for clearing that up, and yes I have seen the defense also..

LV_Bearfan
09-10-2014, 12:05 PM
well if you put two guys one you left the other guy wide open, I've seen a lot of great duo's before... but you cannot say you have seen a better duo than #5 & #22. i'm feeling froggy and i'm going to stay with (36-28)

I always love the speed kills talk....Please see Port Lavaca Calhoun and Wharton. Speed got killed. Pretty sure speed will not kill this week. That being said, I do expect a good game.

LGfrog
09-10-2014, 12:07 PM
I'm pretty sure that Calhoun has speed and Wharton also, but you cannot say they have a #5 and # 22 on the same team.. With that being said we wait till Friday and truth will be told

Pudlugger
09-10-2014, 12:14 PM
I always love the speed kills talk....Please see Port Lavaca Calhoun and Wharton. Speed got killed. Pretty sure speed will not kill this week. That being said, I do expect a good game.

From what I can glean from DCTF Calhoun's fastest rb is J.C. Garcia who clocked 4.6. #22 and #5 run a 4.3-4.4. Those two are the fastest I've seen since DaBryan Blanton from Forney 2000. That kid could flat out fly.

LV_Bearfan
09-10-2014, 12:56 PM
From what I can glean from DCTF Calhoun's fastest rb is J.C. Garcia who clocked 4.6. #22 and #5 run a 4.3-4.4. Those two are the fastest I've seen since DaBryan Blanton from Forney 2000. That kid could flat out fly.

You win. They are really fast and we haven't played two guys that are that fast this year. Aside from the speed of those two guys, what do you see as LG's advantages in this one? Do you guys have a good passing QB? Can he scramble to pass? How do you think your O line will match up with LV's D line and vice versa? Those speed guys need open space to do their thing. Your QB needs time to find them if they run a route. If they don't get it, they can be neutralized. What will LG do if those guys are taken away? Do you guys have a power running game? These are the questions that make this such an intriguing matchup for me.

HEMOTOXIC
09-10-2014, 01:18 PM
La Grange is not an easy place to play.

Leopards 21-14

Pudlugger
09-10-2014, 01:32 PM
You win. They are really fast and we haven't played two guys that are that fast this year. Aside from the speed of those two guys, what do you see as LG's advantages in this one? Do you guys have a good passing QB? Can he scramble to pass? How do you think your O line will match up with LV's D line and vice versa? Those speed guys need open space to do their thing. Your QB needs time to find them if they run a route. If they don't get it, they can be neutralized. What will LG do if those guys are taken away? Do you guys have a power running game? These are the questions that make this such an intriguing matchup for me.

LG will rotate Qbs between #22 Dobbins and #6 Janda. Both can throw the ball well and Janda is a shifty runner. Dobbins is a threat on the run especially around the corners and on play action. Our O line is somewhat smaller than last year averaging 245. They are quick and strong and have controlled the LOS against LH and Columbus well. LG will run the ball throwing about 25% of the time. Our defense is small up front but quick and they swarm to the ball much as LV. Our secondary is fast and should be able to cover whoever they run up against Friday. Our kicking game is excellent with KO into the endzone and fg range inside the 40. I doubt if LV kicks deep unless they put it in the endzone with Dobbins and Hutchison back to receive.

LV_Bearfan
09-10-2014, 01:41 PM
LG will rotate Qbs between #22 Dobbins and #6 Janda. Both can throw the ball well and Janda is a shifty runner. Dobbins is a threat on the run especially around the corners and on play action. Our O line is somewhat smaller than last year averaging 245. They are quick and strong and have controlled the LOS against LH and Columbus well. LG will run the ball throwing about 25% of the time. Our defense is small up front but quick and they swarm to the ball much as LV. Our secondary is fast and should be able to cover whoever they run up against Friday. Our kicking game is excellent with KO into the endzone and fg range inside the 40. I doubt if LV kicks deep unless they put it in the endzone with Dobbins and Hutchison back to receive.

Strength against strength in this one. IMO, the team that executes best in the passing game will win. LV will limit LG's touches on special teams. FG's might be huge in this one.

Pudlugger
09-10-2014, 01:48 PM
Strength against strength in this one. IMO, the team that executes best in the passing game will win. LV will limit LG's touches on special teams. FG's might be huge in this one.

I like the new rule to spot the ball on the 25. That way either a pooch kick or ez kick gives you decent field position. I expect LV will throw a lot right out of the gate testing our secondary. LV has a very fine Qb and plenty of good receivers so that will be job #1 for our defense.

Pudlugger
09-10-2014, 06:25 PM
67% chance of rain and thunderstorms Friday night according to Accuweather. Hope it doesn't result in a cancellation. Our principal is pretty quick to pull the plug imo. The Needville game was cancelled after only waiting an hour last year. Same thing a few years back with Lockhart. I say wait until 9:30 or 10PM if necessary and let the boys play ball.

A wet field probably effects both teams equally so that doesn't worry me much as long as we get to play.

Snotbubbles
09-10-2014, 06:32 PM
Wet grass don't bother slow teams.

LV_Bearfan
09-10-2014, 08:15 PM
Wet grass don't bother slow teams.

Raining and 25 degrees would be just fine!

Pudlugger
09-10-2014, 08:24 PM

You'll have to wait until 4th round in the playoffs for that.

Snotbubbles
09-10-2014, 09:55 PM

That game vs. Wharton last year in Victoria was the coldest I ever been at a game. Them LV players out there, loved it. Short sleeves, and a heard a few saying, "isn't this beach nice". Yes, uglier the weather, better they play.

Pudlugger
09-10-2014, 10:07 PM
That game vs. Wharton last year in Victoria was the coldest I ever been at a game. Them LV players out there, loved it. Short sleeves, and a heard a few saying, "isn't this beach nice". Yes, uglier the weather, better they play.

Yeah, LG played Fisher Canyon Lake in Georgetown in freezing rain and wind. Won 50-8. Rain and wind didn't slow down our offense much.
Players were in short sleeves too.

buff4ever
09-11-2014, 07:57 AM
I was going over the new roster for LG. I was mistaken, this is not a young team. They have several new starters, yes, but 31 0f the 43 players on the team are seniors. That translates into leadership and poise. This may be a very special year for the Leopards. In 2001 when the Leps went to state they had 26 seniors out of 36. When 75% of your team has 4 years of hs football experience plus playoff time it can't be a bad thing.

What did you do with the real pudlugger. When this is the closest post to pudlike in this thread, something is wrong.

Pudlugger
09-11-2014, 08:04 AM
What did you do with the real pudlugger. When this is the closest post to pudlike in this thread, something is wrong.

That is true in more than just sports. You may not be the smartest kid, or the best looking kid or the richest kid but if you work hard and do not give up you can achieve a great deal in this great country. Sports, especially the game of football, teaches a kid that. It makes the sweat and pain and bruises worth it in the long run when you take those lessons into the game of life.

This La Grange football team is special group of young men three quarters of them are seniors playing their last season of football. Perhaps two or three will go on to play on Saturdays, the rest will go on with life as fans of the game. Each game is the big game to this team and I know they will respect the Bears and meet them on the field not as a ragtag group of eleven boys but, as King Harry said, "we few, we happy few, we band of brothers".*

*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-yZNMWFqvM

Buff, this post I made earlier on this thread was just for you and apparently you missed it. I was in great Pudlike form. Go Leps!:D

HCKnight24
09-11-2014, 08:57 AM
La Vernia wins this one. Very talented group of kids, who have all been playing football together since they were all in pop warner. These group of boys went all the way to the national championship game in pop warner. They've been playing with each other for years. Defense flys to the ball, the offense has alot of weapons. Special teams is also very good. You'll see a great kicker from La Vernia on Friday. La Grange may have two real fast studs in the backfield, but Bo will have a game plan to contain that issue. La Vernia 31 La Grange 14.

Pudlugger
09-11-2014, 09:05 AM
La Vernia wins this one. Very talented group of kids, who have all been playing football together since they were all in pop warner. These group of boys went all the way to the national championship game in pop warner. They've been playing with each other for years. Defense flys to the ball, the offense has alot of weapons. Special teams is also very good. You'll see a great kicker from La Vernia on Friday. La Grange may have two real fast studs in the backfield, but Bo will have a game plan to contain that issue. La Vernia 31 La Grange 14.

Poor La Grange, they have no chance it seems. Just a bunch of ragtag players that wondered on the practice field early in August and asked coach Kates what he was doing and if they could play. Our seniors have spent their time taking quilting lessons and attending bake offs since the 7th grade and no one can bake a better kolache than them boys. Yes sir, LG will sure enough get pasted tomorrow night from what they tell me around here. Hope the band shows up. s/ :D:D

LV_Bearfan
09-11-2014, 09:31 AM
Poor La Grange, they have no chance it seems. Just a bunch of ragtag players that wondered on the practice field early in August and asked coach Kates what he was doing and if they could play. Our seniors have spent their time taking quilting lessons and attending bake offs since the 7th grade and no one can bake a better kolache than them boys. Yes sir, LG will sure enough get pasted tomorrow night from what they tell me around here. Hope the band shows up. s/ :D:D

You guys should just forfeit this one Pud. More time for quilting and such. Those boys will make some lucky ladies very happy with those domestic skills. They are definitely winning the game of life if not this game.

.....just kidding of course! This post is not meant for motivational purposes.

Pudlugger
09-11-2014, 10:05 AM
Some nice pics from MaxPreps:

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/la-grange-leopards-%28la-grange,tx%29/football/photos/full_size.htm?photogalleryid=5541f3f1-1fad-474a-a18e-7d0e7f3907ae#photoid=35d2ce36-a0d1-4b1f-2d85-501de936d137

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/la-grange-leopards-%28la-grange,tx%29/football/photos/full_size.htm?photogalleryid=5541f3f1-1fad-474a-a18e-7d0e7f3907ae#photoid=79b43d97-988e-00c6-df0c-e8201c6f0778

Pudlugger
09-11-2014, 11:12 AM
Another one:

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/la-grange-leopards-%28la-grange,tx%29/football/photos/full_size.htm?photogalleryid=5541f3f1-1fad-474a-a18e-7d0e7f3907ae#photoid=20c859a9-3214-76b7-b410-e1ed91929679

LGfrog
09-11-2014, 11:17 AM
Haven't been on the field in LG for a while but I would have to say we have one the fastest draining fields for grass atleast all around, seems to always rain around the 2nd or 3rd game of the season, needville? 2011 that was a late one

Papá Oso
09-11-2014, 11:31 PM
JV Score from LG
LV - 30
LG - 6

Pudlugger
09-12-2014, 08:23 AM
Gameday is finally upon us. As bad as we all need the rain I am praying it will hold off between 7 and 11PM tonight. LG is ready and the whole town is up for this game. It should be a full house barring a heavy rain. I'll be there with umbrella and ponchos anyway. This could be an old fashioned mud bowl slobberknocker pound and ground game. Go Leps!

LV_Bearfan
09-12-2014, 09:43 AM
I hope we have good field conditions. I want both teams to bring their A games. No excuses in this one. May the best team win.

Pudlugger
09-12-2014, 08:39 PM
LG 27
LV 10
Half

hookandladder
09-12-2014, 08:47 PM
Looks like LG speed making a difference, keep it up LG.

LGfrog
09-12-2014, 08:53 PM

It's getting pretty close to 36 lol 😬

LGfrog
09-12-2014, 09:58 PM
34-22 leopards win

hookandladder
09-12-2014, 10:19 PM
The game was not as close as the score may indicate , Leps pretty much shut down the offense after the 3rd quarter. When the coaches decide to turn Dobbins loose on offense , it could get scary for most teams to defend. Solid win for the Leps.

PappaFeelGood
09-12-2014, 10:28 PM
Great game by both teams. Best wishes to the LV Bears.
Please continue to watch the speed on your way home.
GO LEPS!!!!!!

Pudlugger
09-12-2014, 11:02 PM

Crow will be served all week Snot. This game was not as close as the score with a late LV Hail Mary td with 34 seconds left in the game against our 2nd D. After LV scored early in the 1st quarter and was held to a fg it was all LG going up 27-10 at the half. LV had several very talented players including #44 and #45 and Quarterback #7 who proved to be a great scrambler with an accurate arm. It came down to speed with Dobbins and Hutchison knifing downfield for several long gainers. The Lep D contained the Bear running game and the secondary bent but did not break. All in all a pretty good night for the Leopards. La Vernia will go far this year with all that talent, size and excellent coaching.

LV_Bearfan
09-13-2014, 12:04 AM
Great win by the Leps tonight. Hats off to them. Very impressive team. #22 is a difference maker. LG played an error free game for the most part. They are rounding into form and could have a very special year.

44INAROW
09-13-2014, 12:56 AM
👍congrats La Grange. Sounds like a good game

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

zebrablue2
09-13-2014, 07:23 AM
Congrats to the LEPS and coach Kates, quality win...

1st and goal
09-13-2014, 07:55 AM
Great win against a good foe Leps. Guess we'll see you in district.

duckhunter
09-13-2014, 08:06 AM
LG looking good so far.

Pudlugger
09-13-2014, 08:31 AM
This game started out with La Vernia returning a low punt from the LG 35 back to the 35. After a series of running plays the Bears punched it in from the 2. PAT good for 7-0 Bears. The Leps responded with a td of their own after a long run by Dobbins to the 1 tying it up 7-7. In the second quarter the Leps threw deep over the middle and the ball was just a little too far ahead for Rigden to catch and a heads up LV db bobbled it and caught it and returned it deep into LG territory. The LG defense held and forced a 29 yard FG to give LV 10-7 edge. This was the turning point in the game for LG. That defensive stop gave them momentum to go up 27-10 at the half after 20 unanswered points. LG only had the one turnover and only a couple of 5 yard penalties playing a very smart and disciplined game. La Vernia lived up to their reputation as a skilled and physical team with multiple offensive sets and a bruising defense. This was the best showing so far for the Leopards. They are playing near the top of their game after 3 non-district outings. Having 26 seniors is starting to pay dividends. On a down note after playing almost 4 quarters of injury free football #24 Daniels injured his ankle on the final LV PAT with 34 seconds left in the game. Prayers out that it is not a serious injury.

Snotbubbles
09-13-2014, 08:54 AM
Congrats Pud and your LG team. Too much for us to handle. Call it like I see it, those are some special backs. Now, give me that crow w/cheese, large fry and Dr. Pepper.

Pudlugger
09-13-2014, 09:02 AM
Congrats Pud and your LG team. Too much for us to handle. Call it like I see it, those are some special backs. Now, give me that crow w/cheese, large fry and Dr. Pepper.

Thanks snotbubbles, LV will go far in their division. They have the horses to get the job done. We had some big breaks last night and our offense capitalized on them. Our defense really stepped up to get the needed stops against a big physical quality offense.

You make that crow sound almost tasty. :)

LV_Bearfan
09-13-2014, 09:11 AM
Thanks snotbubbles, LV will go far in their division. They have the horses to get the job done. We had some big breaks last night and our offense capitalized on them. Our defense really stepped up to get the needed stops against a big physical quality offense.

You make that crow sound almost tasty. :)

LV's game is to play solid ball with no turnovers. Last night, we were beaten at our own game. The Bears gave the ball to LG inside our own 10 once on a fumbled kickoff and again on a fumble in the backfield later. Those were just the ones inside our own 20. I am not sure how many times LV turned it over, but I don't remember any of them being forced. The offense looked a lot like it did against Wimberley. Way too many mistakes to beat a team that is more talented.

Snotbubbles
09-13-2014, 09:51 AM
LV's game is to play solid ball with no turnovers. Last night, we were beaten at our own game. The Bears gave the ball to LG inside our own 10 once on a fumbled kickoff and again on a fumble in the backfield later. Those were just the ones inside our own 20. I am not sure how many times LV turned it over, but I don't remember any of them being forced. The offense looked a lot like it did against Wimberley. Way too many mistakes to beat a team that is more talented.

:thumbsup: Agree LVB. Can't give freebe's away. Non-forced TO's is a lack of focus. We don't have many performances like this. Take the week off, prepare for the tough rematch with Sinton, followed by a solid Navarro club before district starts. Hate going into the bye with a "L". But, might do good to show the boy's we have to focus and not shoot ourselves in the foot against a quality opponent that will make you pay for those miscues.

YTBulldogs
09-13-2014, 09:57 AM
Nice win LaGrange. Yes, this Lep's team can truly make a deep run at the title. Regards to LaVernia, Bo will have them back on track. Also agree with previous two post's. Unlike a Bears team, to give up un-forced TO's.

Love to see the stat's on this one. Hook us up with those Pud. Congrats my friend.

Not sure what we will field against ya'll when you travel here with Cuero and Sinton (district games) following. Just don't switch to the slot-T on us.:vrycnfsd:

hookandladder
09-13-2014, 11:21 AM
The speed and running power of Dobbins and Hutchinson is the best I have ever seen in LG, both guys are legit D 1 players . This team can make a decent run in the playoffs however we still must contend with the ETS , those teams have overall speed accross the board. We will need better play at the QB position, our QB's will need to get better each week to be a complete team. Both are young so each game they should get better , gotta hand it to Coach Kate's because a lot people doubted his ability to make LG a force in football again. Great job.

Pudlugger
09-13-2014, 12:20 PM
The speed and running power of Dobbins and Hutchinson is the best I have ever seen in LG, both guys are legit D 1 players . This team can make a decent run in the playoffs however we still must contend with the ETS , those teams have overall speed accross the board. We will need better play at the QB position, our QB's will need to get better each week to be a complete team. Both are young so each game they should get better , gotta hand it to Coach Kate's because a lot people doubted his ability to make LG a force in football again. Great job.

I'd like to see more of those swing passes to Dobbins like the one last night. Also, with dobbins at Qb it would be effective to run the option pitching out to Hutchison. I thought Dobbins would pitch it out last night but he turned into traffic and got stopped for short yardage. Hutchison was clear and would have taken it to the house. The Leps need to work on their passing game to keep some balance. We have the receivers but need to get the ball to them quickly and accurately. The wet conditions last night were a factor here.