PDA

View Full Version : Monahans (1-0) vs. Big Spring (1-0)

Sweetwater Red
09-02-2014, 10:43 AM
In my opinion this will be the best game Region I and West Texas have to offer this week and that
includes all classes and divisions.

Monahans is ranked #12 in 4A-D2 and Big Spring #10 in 4A-D1

Pigskin preps has Monahans favored by 2 points at home.

Here is a clip from the interview of Mickey Owens - Monahans HC after their blow out of 2A Alpine
last week 71-21.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4eGDV0uqhwc

As for what Big Spring did last week to beat Kerrville Tivy 58-56 see here

http://bbs.texasdownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?125968-Big-Spring-vs-Kerrville-Tivy-updates

Yoe_09
09-02-2014, 10:47 AM
Wall & Cisco might have something to say about that. This should be a good one though.

hollywood
09-02-2014, 10:54 AM
Big Spring but wouldn't be surprised to see a Monahans win. Lobos have a solid program year in and year out in Reg 1. That dang ground and pound just doesn't bold well to get out of Reg 1 anymore.

Sweetwater Red
09-02-2014, 10:54 AM
Wall & Cisco might have something to say about that. This should be a good one though.

Both are highly rated but I think those Lobos walk away with it. I'm actually torn between making the little over an hour drive to Wall,
the 2.5 hour drive to Monahans or 3 hour drive to Muleshoe to watch Sweetwater win by 30+ again.

Sweetwater Red
09-02-2014, 10:56 AM
Big Spring but wouldn't be surprised to see a Monahans win. Lobos have a solid program year in and year out in Reg 1. That dang ground and pound just doesn't bold well to get out of Reg 1 anymore.

Kent Jackson realized that and switched to the spread when he took over at Seminole earlier this year.

Yoe_09
09-02-2014, 10:57 AM
Both are highly rated but I think those Lobos walk away with it. I'm actually torn between making the little over an hour drive to Wall,
the 2.5 hour drive to Monahans or 3 hour drive to Muleshoe to watch Sweetwater win by 30+ again.

I think it might be close. I say you go to Wall and provide a report, ha.

Sweetwater Red
09-02-2014, 11:10 AM
I think it might be close. I say you go to Wall and provide a report, ha.

It just might happen. If I do then I'll update on the 3A forum.

EagleEye
09-02-2014, 12:15 PM
The radio guys from the Tivy game made it a point to say they need to come to Monahans next week and get revenge for the 31-0 defeat Big Spring got at home from the Loboes last year. Obviously that will be a momentum booster for them but our defense looked good in week one and we have our two running backs back from last year that I believe had over 150 yards each last week. Big Spring and Monahans is always a high drama game and I realy don't know how this will end up this year. I of course hope for a Monahans win but like the old saying goes, "It's why they play the game" is pretty accurate for this game I think. .

STUDMYSTRO
09-02-2014, 01:46 PM
This will be a hard fought football game, but BS will pull ahead and win the game by 10.

BS 27 Monahans 17

hollywood
09-02-2014, 02:05 PM
I can see the game being very close until the final seconds. Big Spring we'll likely have the ball and a chance at a last second Hail Mary for the win.

EagleEye
09-02-2014, 03:46 PM
Ain't that the truth. I'm gonna go Monahans 24 Big Spring 17.

LOL
I can see the game being very close until the final seconds. Big Spring we'll likely have the ball and a chance at a last second Hail Mary for the win.

WTF-82
09-02-2014, 09:56 PM
Loboes win this one... Green will play great defense again vs Steers and that will be difference Loboes do it in all phases offense ,Defense,special teams
The high powered offense will get there's but will get hit in mouth hard for 4qtrs Lobo Football will bring it in this game... No secret in Monahans we expect to make a serious run at the State title Region 1 better get ready...

Loboes 35-21 in this one...

hollywood
09-02-2014, 10:28 PM
Loboes win this one... Green will play great defense again vs Steers and that will be difference Loboes do it in all phases offense ,Defense,special teams
The high powered offense will get there's but will get hit in mouth hard for 4qtrs Lobo Football will bring it in this game... No secret in Monahans we expect to make a serious run at the State title Region 1 better get ready...

Loboes 35-21 in this one...

Love the optimism! Keep us posted on the game Friday night!

Snotbubbles
09-02-2014, 11:03 PM
Lobos win it on a real catch on last play, 35-34.

Sville
09-02-2014, 11:06 PM
I think this will be another high scoring affair. Monahans is damn good again and BS has a juggernaut of an offense.

EagleEye
09-02-2014, 11:19 PM
Man this is why I like this time of year. It is games like this that make the whole year worthwhile. Can't wait for friday night. Next big game for us will be the Sweetwater game. I honestly have that one a toss up as well. Whoever wants it the most will certainly win it. Love Friday Nights.

Sweetwater Red
09-03-2014, 08:15 AM
Man this is why I like this time of year. It is games like this that make the whole year worthwhile. Can't wait for friday night. Next big game for us will be the Sweetwater game. I honestly have that one a toss up as well. Whoever wants it the most will certainly win it. Love Friday Nights.

I don't want to jinx anything and it's a long way off but seeing two 7-0 teams playing at Mustang Bowl
Oct. 24th would be pretty damn awesome. Y'all have to get by these guys first and then Lubbock
Cooper in week 6.

If Big Spring wants to go into their game against Stephenville undefeated then Graham is their biggest obstacle
with a week 5 game in Graham where they are currently 19 point underdogs.

hollywood
09-03-2014, 08:41 AM
I don't want to jinx anything and it's a long way off but seeing two 7-0 teams playing at Mustang Bowl
Oct. 24th would be pretty damn awesome. Y'all have to get by these guys first and then Lubbock
Cooper in week 6.

If Big Spring wants to go into their game against Stephenville undefeated then Graham is their biggest obstacle
with a week 5 game in Graham where they are currently 19 point underdogs.

4A Reg 1 will have some of the best match ups this season that it's had in a while! Big Spring @ Graham will be a high scoring affair. With Big Spring, Brownwood, Graham, Stephenville and Wylie all being strong this year in D1, we've got Celina, Monahans and Sweetwater in D2. East Texas, lookout, SC goes through Reg 1 this year! :wave:

:1popcorn:

STANG RED
09-03-2014, 02:45 PM
How you boys doing? Haven't been on here in a coons age. Didn't even recognize the site anymore.
I'll take BS by a td. And I have no idea why.
I'm working out in Bakersfield CA right now, and have been way out of the loop on Texas HS football for the last couple of years.

regaleagle
09-03-2014, 05:14 PM
4A Reg 1 will have some of the best match ups this season that it's had in a while! Big Spring @ Graham will be a high scoring affair. With Big Spring, Brownwood, Graham, Stephenville and Wylie all being strong this year in D1, we've got Celina, Monahans and Sweetwater in D2. East Texas, lookout, SC goes through Reg 1 this year! :wave:

:1popcorn:

Yep, it'll be a popcorn eatin' time in Region 1 this year, for sure. About this BS/Monahans game....this one has me befuddled. You've got a prolific BS offense with a questionable defense against a very balanced well-coached Monahans team that could play some "keep away" from the BS offense. I tend to favor good qb's that are seniors in this type of affair, but I just don't know how to gauge BS's defense against the Tivy team they played.

db8coach
09-03-2014, 10:44 PM
Whoever wins, I have a feeling that it will be close.

Sweetwater Red
09-05-2014, 07:47 AM
Big Spring Steers at Monahans Loboes

>> Time, Date, Place: 7:30 tonight, Estes Memorial Stadium.

>> Records: Big Spring 1-0; Monahans 1-0.

>> Last Week: Big Spring 58, Kerryville Tivy 56; Monahans 71, Alpine 21.

>> Radio: FM-98.3 (Monahans).

>> Internet: 98xfm.com (Monahans).

>> Last Season: Monahans 31, Big Spring 0.

>> Notes: The Loboes will be playing a division up in their home opener Friday, as Class 4A Division I Big Spring visits Estes Memorial Stadium. After last week’s dominating 71-21 win over Alpine, Monahans head coach Mickey Owens couldn’t be too disappointed. The Loboes offense rolled up 588 total yards on offense, spearheaded by tailbacks Nicko Jasso, Marquez Marillo and Jacob Lair, who finished with 150, 152 and 90 yards on the ground, respectively — and with two touchdowns apiece. “I thought offensively we were pretty sharp for the first game of the year,” Owens said Tuesday. “I thought we really looked good … I thought defensively we got better as the game went, so that’s encouraging going into this week. It’s a different type of animal this week than it was last, though.” … This week, the Loboes face Big Spring — an entirely new challenge, as the Monahans coaching staff was able to witness firsthand, scouting the Steers last Saturday during their 58-56 win over Class 5A Kerryville Tivy. “They’re very talented,” Owens said. “Great quarterback (Tobyn Tannehill) — good leader there… You’ve got to be able to contain him and not let him make those big 70- or-80-yard runs or big pass plays. He’s got a real good offensive line. Most of those guys are coming back. We’re going to try to play keep-away. We need to keep the ball away from them as much as we can, because if you keep their offense on the field, it’s going to be a long night.”

http://oa.myteamscoop.com/news/12941/Sept--5-Permian-Basin-preview-capsules/

Sville
09-05-2014, 08:33 AM
I think this is going to be a high scoring game, I set the o/u at 80. What you got?

hollywood
09-05-2014, 08:39 AM
Contain Tannehill will be tough but if anyone has proven they could, it's Monahans. 31-zip win last season, I think they know how.

I think it'll be a lower scoring affair. 49 o/u

db8coach
09-05-2014, 08:45 AM
Contain Tannehill will be tough but if anyone has proven they could, it's Monahans. 31-zip win last season, I think they know how.

I think it'll be a lower scoring affair. 49 o/u

And the running back/tight end Hill...Also think it will be low scoring. May be rain as well.

slingshot
09-05-2014, 09:56 AM
And the running back/tight end Hill...Also think it will be low scoring. May be rain as well.

Rain? What is that?

YTBulldogs
09-05-2014, 10:19 AM
Lobos win it on a real catch on last play, 35-34.

:redxpoke: On a "real" catch.

EagleEye
09-05-2014, 01:09 PM
Monahans 28 Big Spring 13 last night (JV)
Thunderstorms in the area this evening with 50% chance of rain. . Winds are to be 17 mph with gusts to 21. One good thing for visitors is that in Monahans the Visitors sit facing east and home faces west so the visitor always gets the sun behind them. Nice gesture I think. Overall record between these two schools is 9-8-1 so couldn't be much tighter then that. Should be a great game. Hope both teams come out of it healthy.

WTF-82
09-05-2014, 11:16 PM
33-32 Big Spring with the win over Loboes ... Officiating was ugly loboes score on a brilliant play to go ahead late in game 61yd TD pass and was called back with late flag holding in a game like this hek Refs what is up with that .... But great games us fans will complain but kids will move on and get better from this.
No score in 4rth

EagleEye
09-05-2014, 11:18 PM
Monahans lost 32 to 33 but had about a 65 yard td pass called back towards the end of the game. This was two pretty evenly matched teams. I am proud of our boys

WTF-82
09-05-2014, 11:18 PM
Proud of the
loboes they will be a force again this year.

jason
09-05-2014, 11:25 PM
Big spring saved by the refs again.

db8coach
I said it was going to be close...can't get any closer than that. Apparently, the reffing was bad on both sides. And extra points are what doomed Monahans.

db8coach

WoW...What is WITH your hatred for Big Spring?

WTF-82
09-05-2014, 11:54 PM
I just realized Sweetwater from our district there schedule in non Dist is weak... Wow things have changed ...

WTF-82
09-06-2014, 01:12 PM
http://oavarsity.com/news/12984/Steers-hold-on-for-one-point-road-win-against-Loboes/

Snotbubbles
09-06-2014, 01:18 PM

Don't know what's going on, but--I heard it was the same crew as last week vs. Tivy.

YTBulldogs
09-06-2014, 02:07 PM
Don't know what's going on, but--I heard it was the same crew as last week vs. Tivy.

Good grief. Not again. What TASO chapter does Big Spring use? PB or Lubbock?

db8coach
09-07-2014, 01:53 AM
Good grief. Not again. What TASO chapter does Big Spring use? PB or Lubbock?

Yes the Refs were out to help Big Spring (sarcasm) Big Spring 13 penalties -121 yards Monahans: 9 penalties 82 yards...REALLY trying to help.

Caprocker
09-08-2014, 10:33 AM
hey maybe the refs will save big spring when we play the yellow jackets..i guess you guys have had all calls against you up hill both directions on the field and basically scraping by tooth and nail to just make a few hard nosed players win vs. those top class teams you've been playing. Please ask the allmighty for our forgiveness while he's on your sideline and in your locker room. jason, your busch league hate is very un ville.

Snotbubbles
09-08-2014, 10:41 AM
Yes the Refs were out to help Big Spring (sarcasm) Big Spring 13 penalties -121 yards Monahans: 9 penalties 82 yards...REALLY trying to help.

It's not the one's called, but---the one's they didn't call. Was this really the same crew that called the Tivy win, oppps loss?

Caprocker
09-08-2014, 11:32 AM
It's not the one's called, but---the one's they didn't call. Was this really the same crew that called the Tivy win, oppps loss?

no it wasnt

jason
09-08-2014, 11:38 AM
WoW...What is WITH your hatred for Big Spring?
I don't hate big spring. Just making a statement that most seem to agree with.
Now, I do hate the fact that I'm going to have to miss the Big Spring vs Stephenville game.

db8coach
09-08-2014, 12:22 PM

I'm sure there were missed calls, both directions, in EVERY GAME LAST WEEK...and yes, that includes the calls not made against YOUR team in the game that they played.

db8coach
09-08-2014, 12:27 PM
Just making a statement that most seem to agree with.

Problem is, MOST people don't agree with. Some do, some don't. You can relate to this, being from Stephenville, sometimes the calls seem to go your way. (And when you are a winning program, the calls seem to always go your way. Ask some people's opinion about the New England Patriots on that)

Snotbubbles
09-08-2014, 12:40 PM
that includes the calls not made against YOUR team in the game that they played.

When ya blow the opponent out, them call's missed are not an issue.

db8coach
09-08-2014, 01:20 PM
When ya blow the opponent out, them call's missed are not an issue.

But, calls WERE missed.