View Full Version : Stephenville vs Lubbock Cooper THU.SEPT.18 on ESPN

Pages : 1 [2]

Razorback88
09-20-2014, 03:19 PM
Early season assessment but I think things will be upside down come playoff time. If Andrews beats Sweetwater and B'Spring the next 2 weeks they're the 4A D-1 favorite. It's all about match-ups. Honestly Big Spring looks like a better TEAM than Stephenville right now, and I've seen both teams play.

Razorback88
09-20-2014, 03:23 PM
Honestly--I still think S'ville is the best team in 3A. Think their defense got exposed a little by Cooper, I have no doubt that Coach Gillespie and staff will clean that up. Playing against (and sometimes getting beat by) strong competition makes you better--it shows you where your weaknesses are and what you need to work on. District play is what really matters--Jackets will be just fine. Stephenville, Big Spring and Wylie (and even Brownwood if their team comes together--they have the athletes) should make for an interesting race.

A little! LOL The bumblebees gave up a half a hundred!!!!!!! To a mediocre panhandle team!

Razorback88
09-20-2014, 03:26 PM
Good luck with your assessment. Maybe you'll get one right someday.

Ya'll are 3-1 and Andrews is 4-0-I'm just stating facts bubba! S'Ville is a great program but I've noticed ya'll are drinking the kool-aid.

slingshot
09-20-2014, 04:07 PM
Ya'll are 3-1 and Andrews is 4-0-I'm just stating facts bubba! S'Ville is a great program but I've noticed ya'll are drinking the kool-aid.You may be too... Andrews is probably not as good as you seem to think--maybe the 4th or 5th best R1D1 team. Still quite an improvement over recent years.

regaleagle
09-20-2014, 04:14 PM
From an outsider's view, here's what I think is going on. I think maybe the Grahamites made up a batch of whoopee juice one night late and dumped into the city water systems of Andrews and Stephenville, lol.

bearbear78
09-20-2014, 04:30 PM
From an outsider's view, here's what I think is going on. I think maybe the Grahamites made up a batch of whoopee juice one night late and dumped into the city water systems of Andrews and Stephenville, lol.

Youre not allowed a view.....you listen to games on the radio!!!!!!!

regaleagle
09-20-2014, 04:38 PM
How about "from an outsider's ear".....does that count???

bearbear78
09-20-2014, 04:42 PM
If.you would have actually been at the Graham Vs Argyle game you would have noticed how easyyyy this game could have.been a different outcome. Its over though so ill leave the ref subject alone. Argyle did not in any way dominate graham. It was a ball game all the way. That was with us missing a couple starters and as the season moves along.those positions will strengthen .... your legendary eagles have already watched #5 grraduate and 22 is next. So if Argyle doesnt repeat this year and.I say not a chance then its mannnnnny years before number two comes along. I bet gtown will tie u at 1 before you see 2.....love em or hate em the ville does have 5 and youre eagles wont have another ralston or sadler again soon after the stallion is graduated. So hold off on giving your birds the legendary elite status yet trigger

regaleagle
09-20-2014, 06:30 PM
Argyle is one of the smallest schools in D1, and have done better than just about any other team in the last 12 seasons....the record speaks for itself. You can say all you want about what Argyle may or may not be, but what they are and have been are WINNERS....in every sport and the UIL. Coach Rodgers as an AD has demonstrated his expertise with this small school...taking it from his first season with its first full class in 2A to a championship game in 3 yrs against an unbeaten Newton team, then up to the 3A level to Regional and State contenders almost on a yearly basis. I just don't see that stopping anytime soon...sorry. There may be a "down" year or two for Argyle just like any other small school experiences, but down years at Argyle usually include winning seasons and playoff games. The record over the past 13 seasons, yes 13 seasons, tells the story. What you may think about my posts personally is really not an issue here.

regaleagle
09-20-2014, 06:39 PM
And BTW, I think I can speak openly when I say I've been involved with Argyle sports for a long time, even though I no longer live there. I attend at least 3-4 games per year every year nowadays, even living remote from Argyle, and at one time for about 8 yrs. straight attended just about every game played and every event in sports I could. I do have a historical background with which I reference my posts, even if I sometimes don't remember exactly right. When I'm doing the play-by-play from the Argyle broadcasts here on this site, it's from the reference point of the guys calling it from the Argyle booth. I do it for the rest of the viewers here that aren't listening in...so they can have a quick reference of what's happening. Sometimes what is written may not be really what took place on a play....I have no idea because I'm not there watching the game. I'm only inputting what I hear from the broadcast and transferring it on here for the viewers. So I guess that makes me the "turkey".....which I'm willing to be for the sake of this site and the game.

Bosqueville
09-20-2014, 09:38 PM
Ya'll are 3-1 and Andrews is 4-0-I'm just stating facts bubba! S'Ville is a great program but I've noticed ya'll are drinking the kool-aid.

5 state championships will do that to you..

Aguilafanatico
09-20-2014, 10:18 PM
If.you would have actually been at the Graham Vs Argyle game you would have noticed how easyyyy this game could have.been a different outcome. Its over though so ill leave the ref subject alone. Argyle did not in any way dominate graham. It was a ball game all the way. That was with us missing a couple starters and as the season moves along.those positions will strengthen .... your legendary eagles have already watched #5 grraduate and 22 is next. So if Argyle doesnt repeat this year and.I say not a chance then its mannnnnny years before number two comes along. I bet gtown will tie u at 1 before you see 2.....love em or hate em the ville does have 5 and youre eagles wont have another ralston or sadler again soon after the stallion is graduated. So hold off on giving your birds the legendary elite status yet trigger

Argyle was a bobbled snap at the 1/2 yd line and a missed tackle on 4th down of a 16 point win. Yes, Ralston was the workhorse but Eagle receivers were open ALL NIGHt LONG and had at least 7 big drops. The Argyle offense has 6 bonafide playmakers with Ralston and Markwardt being the only Seniors. We just didn't need them as the ground game was chewing up 4-5 yards per play. That's without the Eagle top O lineman and a hobbled starting Tight End. I came away wondering how Graham beat Wylie. Not a slap, just the truth.
As for Argyle's future, sorry to disappoint you but this program is LOADED. The Junior and Sophomore classes are two of the best Argyle has had, 2013 notwithstanding. Did you catch the JV game? That should be a good barometer as to the future for the two programs don't you think? It wasn't pretty for your Steers. Again, not boasting, Just calling it as it is. Do you know how young this eagle varsity team is that is 4-0 and just took down your legendary, state championship contender Steer team at home??? I think there are less than 10 seniors total. The bulk of this team is made up of Juniors and Sophomores with several playing out of their natural position. I will take your bet any day.

bearbear78
09-21-2014, 01:05 AM
Argyle was a bobbled snap at the 1/2 yd line and a missed tackle on 4th down of a 16 point win. Yes, Ralston was the workhorse but Eagle receivers were open ALL NIGHt LONG and had at least 7 big drops. The Argyle offense has 6 bonafide playmakers with Ralston and Markwardt being the only Seniors. We just didn't need them as the ground game was chewing up 4-5 yards per play. That's without the Eagle top O lineman and a hobbled starting Tight End. I came away wondering how Graham beat Wylie. Not a slap, just the truth.
As for Argyle's future, sorry to disappoint you but this program is LOADED. The Junior and Sophomore classes are two of the best Argyle has had, 2013 notwithstanding. Did you catch the JV game? That should be a good barometer as to the future for the two programs don't you think? It wasn't pretty for your Steers. Again, not boasting, Just calling it as it is. Do you know how young this eagle varsity team is that is 4-0 and just took down your legendary, state championship contender Steer team at home??? I think there are less than 10 seniors total. The bulk of this team is made up of Juniors and Sophomores with several playing out of their natural position. I will take your bet any day.
You guys shouldnt have ANY rebuild years..I mean how many of your players were raised in Argyle? I dont expect an honest answer btw. Feels weird even saying argyle in sports ....Ar/flower/lews/mound/gyle is more fitting. We dont have that luxury yet we stay a top contender. Argyle doesnt repeat this year. Bet on it. Ralston is the Eagles

2muchOffense
09-21-2014, 08:40 AM
It funny how people love to dog pile the Ville. I personally felt the Jackets played a bad game the other night. Now Cooper had alot to do with that. However everyone better remember one thing, since we droppped to 3a/4a, only 1 team has been able to beat the Jackets. A very stout Kilgore team......that's it. Not only that but most contest haven't even been close. Other than a scrappy Alvarado team in 2012 and a talented Big Spring team in 2013, region 1 has not been a problem for the Jackets. Now every year changes as new players emerge, but the Ville is a top notch program and has been so for quite a while. Yes we lose a game here and there, and sometimes we get our arse kicked (Kilgore), but you better do your homework before you count us out. I'm not gonna sit here and bash the likes of Graham, Big Spring, and Wylie. I'm not saying we are gonna win state, district will be tough enough, but please keep underestimating this team. You can sit here and think we are soft and slow but the doubters better ponder this a few things. These Jackets have grown up playing Aledo. They have faced real speed in the likes of Kilgore, Everman, and Dillard (Fla). They have had to deal with the pressures of representing our state against teams from Mexico and Alaska. They have had to deal with the pressure of playing on national television. Their signal caller didn't spend his summer riding jet skis at the lake, he was competing with the best athletes in the country. To beat us you will have to play one of the beat games in your program's history, and that might not be enough. So everyone can talk their teams up, but come playoff time last team you want to see in region 1 is Stephenville.

jason
09-21-2014, 09:02 AM
Early season assessment but I think things will be upside down come playoff time. If Andrews beats Sweetwater and B'Spring the next 2 weeks they're the 4A D-1 favorite. It's all about match-ups. Honestly Big Spring looks like a better TEAM than Stephenville right now, and I've seen both teams play.
Seeing both teams is fine and dandy but if the one sville game you saw was vs cooper then your judgment is clouded.

If you want a true image of Stephenville then need to get your hands on the everman game.

Aguilafanatico
09-21-2014, 09:32 AM
You guys shouldnt have ANY rebuild years..I mean how many of your players were raised in Argyle? I dont expect an honest answer btw. Feels weird even saying argyle in sports ....Ar/flower/lews/mound/gyle is more fitting. We dont have that luxury yet we stay a top contender. Argyle doesnt repeat this year. Bet on it. Ralston is the Eagles

Ok I get it now. Your just have a severe case of Butthurt due to the loss to Argyle......again. Cure= ask your coach to stop scheduling us. Good luck the remainder of the year

bearbear78
09-21-2014, 02:18 PM
Ok I get it now. Your just have a severe case of Butthurt due to the loss to Argyle......again. Cure= ask your coach to stop scheduling us. Good luck the remainder of the year
Without Ralston the eagles are Average..everyone knows it including you and Ralston!!! Hes a machine but still dont see it being enough to win the SC this year..your dual threat is now a single.

bearbear78
09-21-2014, 02:20 PM
And you guys that know Ralstons a beast may wanna look at that sophmore in Stephenville. Scary good as bad as I hate to admit it.

slingshot
09-21-2014, 03:56 PM
And you guys that know Ralstons a beast may wanna look at that sophmore in Stephenville. Scary good as bad as I hate to admit it.I say this in all seriousness and not to insult or degrade anyone--He may be the best player on the team... if they would run him 25-30 times per game they would likely not lose again. He's that good. Not fair to the rest of us to have a top 5 QB and a RB with that talent. Fortunately the defense is down a little from the last couple of years. Shades of Brownwood '08???

Smitty
09-21-2014, 05:58 PM
And you guys that know Ralstons a beast may wanna look at that sophmore in Stephenville. Scary good as bad as I hate to admit it.

Scarier than that, Williams backup (Chapman) will lite you up also.

Tejastrue
09-21-2014, 09:23 PM
Just watched the DVR of this game..

I've picked Cooper to beat the Yellowjackets in recent past and was laughed at...who's laughing now.

Sorry...was tired ad nauseam with the GQ shots of the Texas Tech HC..lol

Ehlers clearly out performed Stidham. Not on style points but determination and grit. Not unlike the old school players from the past when ESPN was not a factor in College or NFL draft selection.

Ehlers looked to be a 4.2 - 4 4 40 runner amongst the Jacket secondary. Most likely not...

Loved the game..love Texas HS football!!!

jason
09-21-2014, 09:58 PM
I say this in all seriousness and not to insult or degrade anyone--He may be the best player on the team... if they would run him 25-30 times per game they would likely not lose again. He's that good. Not fair to the rest of us to have a top 5 QB and a RB with that talent. Fortunately the defense is down a little from the last couple of years. Shades of Brownwood '08???the defense is better than last year - all of you judging them based on one bad game are loony!!

bearbear78
09-22-2014, 09:25 AM
the defense is better than last year - all of you judging them based on one bad game are loony!!

Its a regional thing....no respect.

Sville
09-22-2014, 10:27 AM
Yes and 2012 we through a stinker out there against the Mexico team that by all accounts we should of beat by 30 or 40. It happens. We went on to win the next 14. This Jacket team is better overall than the 2012 Champs IMHO. Time will tell if they can stay healthy and bring home #6.

Sville
09-22-2014, 10:42 AM
I say this in all seriousness and not to insult or degrade anyone--He may be the best player on the team... if they would run him 25-30 times per game they would likely not lose again. He's that good.

He actually did touch the ball 30 times against Cooper, 20 rushes 10 receptions. Stidham over threw him for a walk in touchdown late in the 3rd where we had to settle for a FG. Williams backup is a junior, Matthew Chapman and this kid is really good as well. TBH I would like to see him spell Williams more and get about 10 touches a game.

Funky stat of the game, Stidham completed 28 passes the 3rd most in a single game for Stephenville. Jevan Snead completed 30 in 2004 against WF Rider and Kevin Kolb completed 29 in 2002 against Highland Park, all 3 were losses.

2muchOffense
09-22-2014, 11:01 AM
While I agree that bad games happen to good teams, I will never say this team is as good as the 2012 version. No way! On defense you had two all state defensive ends and a nose guard in Hook tht was every bit as good as Reynolds. Plus you had Mookie back there as an enforcer. Now to the offense, the offensive line is close to a push. Both were and are good. Jones was every bit the playmaker as Stidham. This year's Jackets have a top notch back in Williams, there is no denyin that. However, the biggest difference lies in the receivers. I like this year's bunch but none of them would start on that 2012 team. Sanchez was better in the slot plus you had two 6'3 recievers on the edge. Brice was flat out unstoppable, and Stidham was pretty salty too. Throw in Morrison and its not even close.

Sville
09-22-2014, 11:13 AM
While I agree that bad games happen to good teams, I will never say this team is as good as the 2012 version. No way! On defense you had two all state defensive ends and a nose guard in Hook tht was every bit as good as Reynolds. Plus you had Mookie back there as an enforcer. Now to the offense, the offensive line is close to a push. Both were and are good. Jones was every bit the playmaker as Stidham. This year's Jackets have a top notch back in Williams, there is no denyin that. However, the biggest difference lies in the receivers. I like this year's bunch but none of them would start on that 2012 team. Sanchez was better in the slot plus you had two 6'3 recievers on the edge. Brice was flat out unstoppable, and Stidham was pretty salty too. Throw in Morrison and its not even close.

Offensively I think it is a push, the offenses are/were good just in different ways. Statistically the 2012 defense and 2013 defense were the same, 313 yds and 23 pts a game vs 329 yds and 24 pts a game. I will say with conviction even after giving up 50 to Cooper that this years defense is more talented and better than the last 2 years.

The only place this years team is weaker IMO than the 2012 version is special teams.

toddg
09-22-2014, 11:55 AM
Offensively I think it is a push, the offenses are/were good just in different ways. Statistically the 2012 defense and 2013 defense were the same, 313 yds and 23 pts a game vs 329 yds and 24 pts a game. I will say with conviction even after giving up 50 to Cooper that this years defense is more talented and better than the last 2 years.

The only place this years team is weaker IMO than the 2012 version is special teams.
though, i will always concur to your opinions on anything concerning the Jackets, very few know them as well as you do...but, the 2012 offense wouldnt have spit the bit in that 4th qtr. thurs. night.

hollywood
09-22-2014, 12:02 PM

though, i will always concur to your opinions on anything concerning the Jackets, very few know them as well as you do...but, the 2012 offense wouldnt have spit the bit in that 4th qtr. thurs. night.

All valid points. Look, it's still early and this years team is still somewhat figuring out their identity. Compare as you may, this years team is every bit as talented as the 2012 team. Remember that the 2012 team didn't truly figure it all out until after the Glen Rose game where they were pushed and had the fans biting their fingers nails. Remember that? It wasn't until the Venus and Hillsboro games that TJ proved to be the player and leader we all knew he could be. So many comparisons are made to the 2012 team but it seems that the memories are coming from their playoff run after paying their dues in the regular season. Remember? Give this year's team a little more time and a little more credit. They will find their way. Just imagine if Morrison was playing this season? Too bad, maybe he'll come back after his arm heels.

2muchOffense
09-22-2014, 12:42 PM
I still believe in this team. I think there are only a handle full of teams in 4a that can play with this bunch. Even then it will take a real strong effort. I do like how one bad game against a tough opponent, one that happens to be a 5A school, and everyone is writing us off. Since we are talking about the 2012 bunch, I can remember a matchup against Wylie and everyone was saying we were overrated back then. Did we even punt in that game?

Razorback88
09-22-2014, 01:00 PM

That's pretty funny! Probably right. Andrews folks just excited to be back in the mix after a decade longrun of mediocrity. S'ville folks could lose 77-0 to Dublin and say they were still the best team in the state!:cheerl:

2muchOffense
09-22-2014, 02:14 PM
Yeah well at least we are relevant every year.

Sville
09-22-2014, 02:33 PM
After thinking about it I should re-word my statement. This team has just as much talent and potential as the 2012 team IMHO. The 2012 team finished the deal this one has not. But we can compare where the 2 teams are/were at the same point in the season.

Per game avg's thru the first 4 games.

2012 (3-1)- Offense: Rush 151 Pass 314 Total 465 Pts 33. Defense: Rush 176 Pass 129 Total 305 Pts 21

2014 (3-1)- Offense: Rush 222 Pass 305 Total 527 Pts 42. Defense: Rush 205 Pass 106 Total 312 Pts 19

The dynamic duo of Stidham and Williams mixed with more than capable receivers makes this offense just as difficult to stop IMO. Defensively the 2012 group had an outstanding DL. I think this group has a very good LB core with the right mix at the other positions. The biggest difference is special teams, the 2012 team had an all-state kicker and legit 4.3 guy returning KO's. I believe that by the time this is all said and done the 2014 defense will be the deciding factor on how this team is compared to Sville teams of the past.

Back to the game, Cooper hired HC Max Kattwinkel in Jan. 2013. He led them to their longest playoff run last year when Sville beat them in the Qtr Finals. I think he is building something good there at Cooper and will be interested to keep an eye on them the rest of the year. Every program that has been mired in mediocrity needs that signature win from where they go to thinking they can to believing they can. Ours was Brownwood in 1990. We hadn't beat the Lions in 27 years and had made the playoffs the year before for the first time since 1952. Once we beat the Wood all things were possible. Confidence is a funny thing especially in 16-18 y/o. Beating the #1 ranked team that knocked you out the year before, with one of the best QBs in the nation on national TV can be that type of game.

Razorback88
09-22-2014, 02:37 PM
After thinking about it I should re-word my statement. This team has just as much talent and potential as the 2012 team IMHO. The 2012 team finished the deal this one has not. But we can compare where the 2 teams are/were at the same point in the season.

Per game avg's thru the first 4 games.

2012 (3-1)- Offense: Rush 151 Pass 314 Total 465 Pts 33. Defense: Rush 176 Pass 129 Total 305 Pts 21

2014 (3-1)- Offense: Rush 222 Pass 305 Total 527 Pts 42. Defense: Rush 205 Pass 106 Total 312 Pts 19

The dynamic duo of Stidham and Williams mixed with more than capable receivers makes this offense just as difficult to stop IMO. Defensively the 2012 group had an outstanding DL. I think this group has a very good LB core with the right mix at the other positions. The biggest difference is special teams, the 2012 team had an all-state kicker and legit 4.3 guy returning KO's. I believe that by the time this is all said and done the 2014 defense will be the deciding factor on how this team is compared to Sville teams of the past.

Back to the game, Cooper hired HC Max Kattwinkel in Jan. 2013. He led them to their longest playoff run last year when Sville beat them in the Qtr Finals. I think he is building something good there at Cooper and will be interested to keep an eye on them the rest of the year. Every program that has been mired in mediocrity needs that signature win from where they go to thinking they can to believing they can. Ours was Brownwood in 1990. We hadn't beat the Lions in 27 years and had made the playoffs the year before for the first time since 1952. Once we beat the Wood all things were possible. Confidence is a funny thing especially in 16-18 y/o. Beating the #1 ranked team that knocked you out the year before, with one of the best QBs in the nation on national TV can be that type of game.
So true-I remember when I was at Angelo St in 1992-1995 I had some B-wood buddies who never gave S'ville any respect, always saying they cheated LOL!!!

hollywood
09-23-2014, 08:31 AM
In HS football, there is always someone awaiting to have a breakout game. Unfortunately against our Jackets, Ehlers for the Pirates had his breakout game. Kuddos to this young man! Cooper had some big ole boys. Better than a lot of people are giving them credit for.

http://www.everythinglubbock.com/media/lib/197/1/d/0/1d005ac2-7945-4a0b-b2b0-1c6c212b5142/Story.jpg

hollywood
09-23-2014, 08:33 AM
Jackets RB Williams gets swarmed by Cooper Pirates.

www.yourstephenvilletx.com

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/yourstephenvilletx.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/1/29/1299b436-bf38-59de-98d2-a752b65b3bdd/541be14e5978b.image.jpg?resize=300%2C300

caleb_mccaig
09-23-2014, 08:40 AM
Jackets RB Williams gets swarmed by Cooper Pirates.

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/yourstephenvilletx.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/1/29/1299b436-bf38-59de-98d2-a752b65b3bdd/541be14e5978b.image.jpg?resize=300%2C300

Photo credit!!! Whooo whoooooo haha. Unless someone took a pic of the same play, completely possible. There was like 30 photographers on the field.

hollywood
09-23-2014, 08:48 AM
Photo credit!!! Whooo whoooooo haha. Unless someone took a pic of the same play, completely possible. There was like 30 photographers on the field.

Lol.. sorry. www.yourstephenvilletx.com

:D

caleb_mccaig
09-23-2014, 08:49 AM
Lol.. sorry. www.yourstephenvilletx.com

:D

Hahahaha well at least someone appreciated the pic! :cool:

I really don't care, I always used pics of me that the newspaper took when I was playing in high school, now corporate....that's a whole other story lol.

toddg
09-23-2014, 09:46 AM
Hahahaha well at least someone appreciated the pic! :cool:

I really don't care, I always used pics of me that the newspaper took when I was playing in high school, now corporate....that's a whole other story lol.which one is you in your sig pic?

caleb_mccaig
09-24-2014, 08:36 AM
which one is you in your sig pic?

I'm barely in the background, you can see like half of me, the one on the left, but I did start on the defense from the 06-08 seasons.