PDA

View Full Version : Does Celina have a realistic chance of winning another State Championship ???

jason
11-11-2002, 12:24 AM
Seriously?? Can they do it?? They aren't THAT good are they ??? I don't think anybody dares bet against them?? But don't you have to ??

and by bet I dont mean betting money on high school games

ElMeroMero
11-11-2002, 12:45 AM
I dont know I think they could? I see most of the powerhouse teams in Div 1 like Jasper, Sinton, Everman etc.

spaniard
11-11-2002, 01:23 AM
well, if celina was in div 1 they would definitley not win state. but since theyre in div 2, no offense to any d2 schoos, not sure, maybe, maybe not.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-11-2002, 01:30 AM
I think if Celina can beat Commerce, then the sky's the limit.

PPHSfan
11-11-2002, 03:02 AM
YES :p

sinfan75
11-11-2002, 05:53 AM
Since they've proved everybody wrong so far I ain't pickin against em.GO CELINA!!!

aamove
11-11-2002, 06:33 AM
I don't think so. They may go two rounds deep, if they make it that far.

sinton66
11-11-2002, 08:00 AM
There are some very good teams in Div2 this year. Marlin, Bellville, Greenwood, Ballinger, Port Isabel, and Rice consolidated. Celina can win it all, but it won't be a cakewalk for anyone.

The One
11-11-2002, 08:25 AM
If they can make it past these first two rounds then look out but I dont expect that to happen.

jason
11-11-2002, 11:00 AM
So I'm not the only one to give up on trying to figure them out ??

nigelmer
11-11-2002, 02:08 PM
Let me echo the thoughts of aamove........2nd or 3rd round should be about it

Titans
11-11-2002, 02:16 PM
:confused: NO :confused:

Tiny
11-11-2002, 04:19 PM
Who has beat Celina this year? Who beat them last year? The year before? And before that? Get my point? They may not win it this year but no one has proved to me they wont win. I doubt there is a lot of teams that would realy want to play them in the first round.
2002 DivII 3A State Finals
Celina vs ?

eye of the tiger
11-11-2002, 05:06 PM
I dont think they will win state, but then again I didnt think they would make it through the regular season undefeated either. I thought Pilot Point and Gainsville both would beat them. I hope Commerce has the oportunity to play them. I havent seen them since the 99 state game.

CelinaFan
11-11-2002, 05:17 PM
I think the Commerce Celina match up would be the key and a great one to watch. Hard to bet against Celina. Seasoned in the playoffs. Most of the kids have been on the field for several state games. Experience can only carry them so far in the big games. But it does not hurt to have it. If Celina makes it to round three I have to pick em to win it again.

OldSchoolBulldog
11-12-2002, 12:13 AM
This is good High School football. Sinton and Celina must be great programs.

2001GiddingsLB
11-12-2002, 12:27 AM
I don't really know what to say about this but I 'm gonna have to say Celina will get beat. Sure is hard to bet against em though.

Bulldog92
11-12-2002, 01:50 AM
Has a team with a 60-some odd game winning streak ever been considered an underdog for anything? I've never seen it. Have any of you? I doubt it.

pirate4state
11-12-2002, 10:57 AM
Tiny:
Who has beat Celina this year? Who beat them last year? The year before? And before that? Get my point? They may not win it this year but no one has proved to me they wont win. I doubt there is a lot of teams that would realy want to play them in the first round.
2002 DivII 3A State Finals
Celina vs ?I get your point, Tiny. Celina has yet to disappoint. They will be tested in the 3rd round, but who won't? Go Celina, continue the tradition.

Owen B
11-12-2002, 12:06 PM
I think that Celina has a more realistic chance of losing to Quinlan Ford than of winning a State championship. There are at least four teams in region 2 that I would pick over Celina. There are the same number in region 3. The other two regions look a little weaker to me but they also have teams that I think could beat Celina.

3ABirdMan
11-13-2002, 12:32 AM
"...there ain't a horse that can't be rode, and there ain't a cowboy that can't be throwed..."

Sooner or later, it will happen, and I bet sooner. That they have a fantastic progran is not in question. But can they hang with the big boys from big schools for 4 consecutive weeks without losing any players to injury and still have the skill-depth to compete? I don't think so. Nothing personal, Celina. You've had a great run! Now, prove me wrong!

Fletch
11-13-2002, 11:24 AM
Injuries will be the key if Celina is to make a run at it. Their depth can't match most schools with 500 - 700 kids. Healthy, they have a chance.

U N R 8 D
11-13-2002, 09:08 PM
If there are 11 kids on the field playing their butts off, anything can happen. I personally would love to see Celina win State in 3A. I just don't get where some of you are saying if they make it through the first few games they've got it made. If they win the first two, i would guess they'll meet a very good Wilmur-Hutchins. Then if they beat WH they will meet the 3A dominators Commerce. If you ask me it just gets harder as the play-offs progress. Hope the Babcats make it all the way. You can bet I'll go see them play.

footballguy 22
11-13-2002, 11:22 PM
I THINK DANGERFIELD OR GILMER CAN BEAT CELINA IN THE SECOND ROUND.

2KDawg
11-13-2002, 11:40 PM
Well i think Celina have proven alot of people wrong this year. For their first year in 3A no one thought they would get through the regular season undefeated. I think they have an outstanding program and they will make alot of noise in the post season, but i really dont think they can go all the way and win it. Im not taking anything away from Celina but there are some outstanding teams in div. 2 for them to sweep it. I went to the marlin burnet game and i think marlin has if not the best one of the best programs in div. 2. I look for them to atleast make it to the title game. Good luck to Celina and all the div. 2 teams!

Matthew328
11-14-2002, 12:01 AM
I think in Round 2 Celina will run into a Daingerield team that has a ton of history and tradition behind it also...it'll be a classic high school matchup worth driving 200 miles for....I think Daingerfield will likely end the streak but ya never know...I have been wrong on Celina before!

jason
11-14-2002, 12:26 AM
everybody thought Gainesville would end the streak...ive given up trying to predict their games

AP_OLB_1
11-14-2002, 12:34 AM
i cant really remember but werent celina 2a last year? and i cant remember but it seams as if they were state champs in football and baseball... could someone fill me in please

DarkWing
11-14-2002, 04:11 PM
Yes!
Celina beat teams this season with better skills. Celina atheletes have a cult like will to win, junk yard dog toughness, and a great coaching staff. The program hosts a G.A. Moore foundation with Butch Ford polish. The young men on this team are serious and focussed. Injuries will decide the outcome. A healthy Celina team can go all the way to state.

Go Bobcats

BigRed01
11-14-2002, 04:14 PM
I think that celina's streak will end early in the playoffs, probably in round 2, but they definitely won't go down with out a fight. I think some kids will be bleeding and hobbling before Celina falls. I really think this will be one of these records that will last for at least 50 years. It sounds like to me of the kid from Sugarland, Kenneth Hall, in the early 1950's who ran for over 11,000 yards in his high school career. The record still stands 50 years strong, and doesn't look to be broke anytime soon. I think this will be one of those types of records.

CelinaFan
11-14-2002, 04:17 PM
DarkWing welcome to the forum. I agree a healthy Celina is going to be a tough team to beat no matter how it stacks up. Junkyard dog toughness is a good way to put it. Players who dont match up in the skill department always find a way to get it done. Every one thought Gainsville had too much to handle for Celina. What a 9 point underdog? I think the entire coaching staff took what G.A started and made it even better. Butch Ford may not have the name...but he has motivating skills I have not seen in a long long time. Celina healthy? time will tell. I am not going to bet against them. Go Bobcats.

DarkWing
11-14-2002, 04:33 PM
AP_OLB_1:
i cant really remember but werent celina 2a last year? and i cant remember but it seams as if they were state champs in football and baseball... could someone fill me in pleaseCelina was 2A before this season. They made 3A status with two students over the 2A max. Celina is the smallest 3A school in Texas.

This team won four consecutive state 2A football titles and the 2A baseball state championship last spring. I believe this was their third year with a baseball program.