PDA

View Full Version : Region I Week 1 GotW: Abilene Wylie Vs. Argyle

slingshot
08-25-2014, 09:37 AM
Should be a very interesting game... I'm sure Argyle is loaded and well coached (as always) and are the defending DII state champs. Don't really know any specifics about them except they have a great running back returning. Wylie is interesting. D-line and O-line return nearly intact (one new offensive lineman), outstanding middle linebacker (committed to Baylor), completely new skill players--QB, backs and receivers. Suspect the offense will take a few weeks to gel, defense should be salty from the start.

Bosqueville
08-25-2014, 09:58 AM
I'm taking Wylie in the this one. 27-24.

lostaussie
08-25-2014, 10:23 AM
I'm taking Wylie in the this one. 27-24.That would be an eye opener!!

waterboy
08-25-2014, 10:58 AM
No kidding! I think Argyle takes this one by at least a couple of TDs.

bobcat1
08-25-2014, 11:00 AM
Argyle will roll Whylie without so much as a :kiss:

Aesculus gilmus
08-25-2014, 11:00 AM
Argyle by as many as they want.

hollywood
08-25-2014, 11:27 AM
Funny how all the sudden we have the Gilmerites picking Argyle by as many as they want. Maybe because they got beat by them last season? lol

Wylie by 7 this year, easily.

hollywood
08-25-2014, 11:28 AM
That would be an eye opener!!

Last year, yes. This year, no.

waterboy
08-25-2014, 11:34 AM
Come on, Hollywood. It has nothing to do with last year. I just think Argyle won't have much drop off this year from last. They are well-coached, have the best trainers money can buy, and plenty of horse in the stable. They have a very good program, and, yes, there is respect there, but that doesn't automatically make me think they will win. Argyle has lost how many games over the past 4 years?

lostaussie
08-25-2014, 12:04 PM
I would like to see Wylie loaded for a good run. Played those guys twice and they got a classy program.

waterboy
08-25-2014, 12:15 PM
True dat, aussie. Wylie has a class program, and I would love to see them back in the thick of a state title hunt.

Aguilafanatico
08-25-2014, 12:59 PM
I would like to see Wylie loaded for a good run. Played those guys twice and they got a classy program.

And it begins.......

The Eagles lost a ton from last years SC team, no doubt. 30 seniors - 14 starters - 7 of which are now D1 athletes. An awesome group that played in two state championship games. That said, what most are forgetting is that 1/3 of the starters are returning, all with All-District and/or All State recognition and a state championship skin on their wall. Most of the new, "inexperienced" starters played 1/2 or more in almost every game last year as the Eagles had pretty much put most games away by half. The remainder come from a loaded and undefeated JV team. Their are athletes all over the field. They are bigger and I believe stronger than they were last year with a ton of speed on both sides of the ball. The challenge for the staff is putting the right pieces in the right places and pushing new leaders to step up. There will definitely be more mistakes, it comes with youth.
I expect Abilene Wylie to come into Argyle fired up, and wanting blood. They are a well-coached and always very talented group. It should be a great, early test for both and I don't believe a loss in this game precludes either from making a deep run.

Last year was 38-0 Argyle @ Wylie. My prediction this year is much closer but same result, Argyle 27-14.

ccmom
08-25-2014, 01:03 PM
Argyle has lost how many games over the past 4 years? I have no idea how many they have lost in last 4 years (only a few I'm sure) but I do know they are 1-1 against Wylie in the last two seasons. :) Either way it goes, I think this is a good matchup for both programs.

I'm ready for the season to start!!! :2thumbsup

Bullaholic
08-25-2014, 01:07 PM
Wylie and Argyle are two of the best programs in 4A---both schools win in nearly every sport. I don't think Argyle has lost too much to lose to Wylie---I think they win by 7-10.

buckeyebob
08-25-2014, 01:34 PM
Come on, Hollywood. It has nothing to do with last year. I just think Argyle won't have much drop off this year from last. They are well-coached, have the best trainers money can buy, and plenty of horse in the stable. They have a very good program, and, yes, there is respect there, but that doesn't automatically make me think they will win. Argyle has lost how many games over the past 4 years?

In agreement with ya...Argyle is a team that reloads with high quality stuff...Argyle has taken their area over from Celina

bobcat1
08-25-2014, 01:45 PM
In agreement with ya...Argyle is a team that reloads with high quality stuff...Argyle has taken their area over from CelinaI don't know about taking over but they sure are on a great run now.

hollywood
08-25-2014, 01:49 PM
Was Ian Sadler a senior last year?

orange machine
08-25-2014, 01:57 PM
Argyle by 14

Aguilafanatico
08-25-2014, 02:04 PM

Yes, competing for punt returner and a receiver spot for TTU. No redshirt.

refereedoc
08-25-2014, 02:04 PM

Yes, he went to Texas Tech.

hollywood
08-25-2014, 03:08 PM
Then Wylie by as many as they want if Sadler isn't there.

lostaussie
08-25-2014, 03:17 PM
Then Wylie by as many as they want if Sadler isn't there.somebody the other day asked if Argyle was better this year. Told them I didn't have a clue..........but I knew damn well TT was better. That kid was something else!!

Cam
08-25-2014, 03:30 PM
I'm just excited that THE one and only Abilene Wylie Bulldogs will be coming to Burnet next week!....what an honor!.....and ccmom will ignore me there too!!......man! ya'll are a glutton for punishment with them long road trips!!....it'll be Bulldogs on Bulldogs....there won't be enough fire hydrants to piss on!....Heck, Greendawg and I might even mark a territory or two!!!....:doh:

Aguilafanatico
08-25-2014, 03:43 PM
Then Wylie by as many as they want if Sadler isn't there.

I drove through Stephenville yesterday coming back from Austin. I didn't see any marijuana plants but sounds like Hollywood may know where to find them.

hollywood
08-25-2014, 03:58 PM
I'm just excited that THE one and only Abilene Wylie Bulldogs will be coming to Burnet next week!....what an honor!.....and ccmom will ignore me there too!!......man! ya'll are a glutton for punishment with them long road trips!!....it'll be Bulldogs on Bulldogs....there won't be enough fire hydrants to piss on!....Heck, Greendawg and I might even mark a territory or two!!!....:doh:

Cam, that should be a good game!

Crickets are worse in Burnet ccmom... trust me! :eek:

Cam
08-25-2014, 04:01 PM
Cam, that should be a good game!

Crickets are worse in Burnet ccmom... trust me! :eek:

hollywood's right ccmom.....and our crickets have mange!!!....

hollywood
08-25-2014, 04:04 PM
hollywood's right ccmom.....and our crickets have mange!!!....

lol!!!

nobogey72
08-25-2014, 04:55 PM
Watched them scrimmage Thursday night and I can say that this Wylie team will suit up as well as any Wylie team I've seen. Bunch of big, tall, good looking kids. Whether or not that translates into wins remains to be seen, but they will definitely pass the eye test.

hollywood
08-25-2014, 05:09 PM
I drove through Stephenville yesterday coming back from Austin. I didn't see any marijuana plants but sounds like Hollywood may know where to find them.

LOL.. yeah, those Alaskan's said they needed an extra day when they traveled through Colorado. For the life of me I couldn't understand why!

All joking aside, Wylie will give Argyle a much better game this year than last. I know Argyle wasn't a one man team the past 2 years BUT not having Sadler there will be a difference.

regaleagle
08-25-2014, 07:56 PM
I'm considering a drive up to watch this game....and why not??? It's time to RUUUUMBLE!!! Besides, it's always an honor to host a team like Abilene Wylie, and as a longtime Eagle faithful it would be almost a sin to miss this game at home against such a worthy opponent. I'll say that this one will be very close, being that none of us knows exactly how ready each team will be this early and how many mistakes may be made be either team. One thing we do know is that it will not be a blowout, but a very physical game with some good players on the field. Good luck to the Bulldogs, and bring your best effort. That's what our Eagles need right now.

bobcat1
08-25-2014, 07:59 PM
:fnypost:

buckeyebob
08-25-2014, 08:10 PM
Funny how all the sudden we have the Gilmerites picking Argyle by as many as they want. Maybe because they got beat by them last season? lol

Wylie by 7 this year, easily.

we have been beat down by Carthrage a number of times...I sure don't pick them...no shame getting beaten by a better team...shameful to be beaten by a lesser team...2 losses last year...Kilgore & Argyle...we would get 'em this year in Div 1

regaleagle
08-25-2014, 08:19 PM
I haven't seen the team this year yet, but knowing how Coach Rodgers operates....I'm expecting his son Cooper will manage this year's offense with few mental mistakes. There's some speed in the backfield and then there's Ralston. Quality recievers at Argyle have never been a problem since these boys have been in the spread all their lives. Argyle has a couple of good linebackers in Sweatt and Ralston, and a pretty good front line on both sides of the ball. I'd say the secondary and kicker positions are the ones that will need the most work this season....just guessing from what was lost to graduation. You've got the Aune brother playing, the Boyzuick brother playing, 3 of the coaches son's playing, and a whole host of young talent that were either backups last season that saw lots of action, or JV'ers that went undefeated and now it's their time to shine. So that's what I don't know so far. And then there's this 6'4" 220 lb. D1 commit to Clemson that's only a junior named JC Chalk that will have to be considered. That player is also a basketball star....so I reckon he could play just about anywhere is my guess. Just so happens he's Gene Stallings grandson....a chip off the ol' block.

regaleagle
08-25-2014, 09:07 PM
I haven't seen the team this year yet, but knowing how Coach Rodgers operates....I'm expecting his son Cooper will manage this year's offense with few mental mistakes. There's some speed in the backfield and then there's Ralston. Quality recievers at Argyle have never been a problem since these boys have been in the spread all their lives. Argyle has a couple of good linebackers in Sweatt and Ralston, and a pretty good front line on both sides of the ball. I'd say the secondary and kicker positions are the ones that will need the most work this season....just guessing from what was lost to graduation. You've got the Aune brother playing, the Boyzuick brother playing, 3 of the coaches son's playing, and a whole host of young talent that were either backups last season that saw lots of action, or JV'ers that went undefeated and now it's their time to shine. So that's what I don't know so far. And then there's this 6'4" 220 lb. D1 commit to Clemson that's only a junior named JC Chalk that will have to be considered. That player is also a basketball star....so I reckon he could play just about anywhere is my guess. Just so happens he's Gene Stallings grandson....a chip off the ol' block.

And for all you airport junkies out there.....our center's real name is Austin Bergstrom, no joke.

SHSBulldog00
08-26-2014, 07:34 PM
We now have a poll.

slingshot
08-27-2014, 03:47 PM
Thanks! I'm not computer oriented enough to post a poll... anyway, I think Wylie pulls off the upset and wins by 7. Our 6'5" 225 lb and 6'4" 210 lb WR's and 6'4" 250 lb TE will give them fits in the short passing game. That will open up running lanes for our small, fast backs. Defense is ready and loaded. Should be a good one.

regaleagle
08-27-2014, 11:03 PM
Sounds just yummy. I'm sure Wylie will be equally impressed with the "new" speed on the Argyle side of the ball....not to mention some of the athletic ability that has been reloaded just in the nick of time for a team just like the Wylie Bulldogs. Yep, at Argyle we really care about the longterm needs of our opponents.

hollywood
08-27-2014, 11:08 PM
Sounds just yummy. I'm sure Wylie will be equally impressed with the "new" speed on the Argyle side of the ball....not to mention some of the athletic ability that has been reloaded just in the nick of time for a team just like the Wylie Bulldogs. Yep, at Argyle we really care about the longterm needs of our opponents.

:vrycnfsd:

hollywood
08-27-2014, 11:09 PM
Thanks! I'm not computer oriented enough to post a poll... anyway, I think Wylie pulls off the upset and wins by 7. Our 6'5" 225 lb and 6'4" 210 lb WR's and 6'4" 250 lb TE will give them fits in the short passing game. That will open up running lanes for our small, fast backs. Defense is ready and loaded. Should be a good one.

Good grief... what are y'all feeding those boys over there?!

nobogey72
08-28-2014, 08:12 AM

Not sure what that means, other than RegalE has moved to either Colorado or Washington.

slingshot
08-28-2014, 12:30 PM
Good grief... what are y'all feeding those boys over there?!The best that money can buy!

waterboy
08-28-2014, 12:37 PM

Sounds like that Bulldog feeding slush fund nobogey set up at his bank is paying dividends. Good grief! Dem some big boys!

regaleagle
08-29-2014, 01:35 PM
And I was happy having Chalk at 6'4'' 220 as a receiver for Argyle. At Wylie, I guess that's the "normal" size.....or you better be darn good if you're shorter, haha.

slingshot
08-29-2014, 02:51 PM
And I was happy having Chalk at 6'4'' 220 as a receiver for Argyle. At Wylie, I guess that's the "normal" size.....or you better be darn good if you're shorter, haha.Actually we rarely have big recievers--just lucked out this year... maybe we should move some of them to the line!

regaleagle
08-29-2014, 11:20 PM
Too many turnovers by Wylie tonite killed their chances. The junior qb #18(6'2" 195) is in my opinion Wylie's best qb. He took over duties in the 2nd half and I'ma thinkin' he won the job as the starter tonite. He just looked more polished as a passer and moves better. He's bigger and stronger than the Sr. starter, and has this year and next. Wylie will win lots of games this season and has potential out the kazoo. Man is that team BIG across the board....on both sides of the ball. Argyle played tough defense, hit 'em hard, and capitalized on some fumbles that Argyle caused to happen. Wylie and Argyle offenses both need work and fine tuning. Both defenses look pretty tough.

Sville
08-30-2014, 11:07 AM
Even in a loss Wylie makes a statement with this game against Argyle losing by 6 with 5 turnovers, 2 of which led to Eagle TDs. It is going to be a fun district with the top 3 teams in 3-4A, Wylie, Sville, & Big Spring.

slingshot
09-02-2014, 08:03 AM
After time to reflect on this one a few observations: Argyle is big, physical and well-coached... No surprise there. Their passing game needs work, look like they miss Sadler. Wylie is loaded with talent, esp on the defensive side--other than two plays they pretty well shut the Eagles down. Too many mistakes on the offensive side doomed them even they showed flashes of brilliance and explosiveness. Dominating the stats does not equal a 'W'. Once the mistakes get corrected this could be a fun team to watch...

Aguilafanatico
09-02-2014, 08:22 AM
After time to reflect on this one a few observations: Argyle is big, physical and well-coached... No surprise there. Their passing game needs work, look like they miss Sadler. Wylie is loaded with talent, esp on the defensive side--other than two plays they pretty well shut the Eagles down. Too many mistakes on the offensive side doomed them even they showed flashes of brilliance and explosiveness. Dominating the stats does not equal a 'W'. Once the mistakes get corrected this could be a fun team to watch...

I agree Slingshot. Wylie will be a team to contend with this year. They will give their opponents all they can handle. One item of note that I think is worth mentioning. I keep hearing about the mistakes Wylie's offense made but little about how well the Argyle Dline played. I can think of 3 of the turnovers that were either directly caused by Argyle dlinemen or was the result of extreme pressure, including both scoop and scores. The game Friday night was a war. Both are big, strong teams and it was a hot and humid night. Argyle's O certainly sputtered all night. Oline and QB didn't play particularly well though, credit should also go to the Wylie D. I think it is still going to take some time to determine how good both these teams are but based on what I saw, the future is bright...... if both work out a few kinks.

slingshot
09-02-2014, 01:29 PM
I agree Slingshot. Wylie will be a team to contend with this year. They will give their opponents all they can handle. One item of note that I think is worth mentioning. I keep hearing about the mistakes Wylie's offense made but little about how well the Argyle Dline played. I can think of 3 of the turnovers that were either directly caused by Argyle dlinemen or was the result of extreme pressure, including both scoop and scores. The game Friday night was a war. Both are big, strong teams and it was a hot and humid night. Argyle's O certainly sputtered all night. Oline and QB didn't play particularly well though, credit should also go to the Wylie D. I think it is still going to take some time to determine how good both these teams are but based on what I saw, the future is bright...... if both work out a few kinks.Argyle had a lot to do with it--they won the game and deserved to do so. Period. Just saying the mistakes Wylie made cost them dearly. Not going to win many when you turn the ball over 5 times...