PDA

View Full Version : Region III Week 1 GotW: La Grange Vs. Liberty Hill

Pudlugger
08-22-2014, 08:01 AM
This will be a great match up for both teams. The Panthers are favored by 1 in the AP. The Leps have faced two slot-t teams in their scrimmages (4A DI El Campo and 5A Lockhart) and have adjusted their D accordingly. The Panthers have home field advantage and have a stout defense. Will the Leopard speed and athleticism in the backfield be enough to get the win or will the Panther slot-t pound out a ball control victory?

panfan
08-22-2014, 08:12 AM
This will be a great match up for both teams. The Panthers are favored by 1 in the AP. The Leps have faced two slot-t teams in their scrimmages (4A DI El Campo and 5A Lockhart) and have adjusted their D accordingly. The Panthers have home field advantage and have a stout defense. Will the Leopard speed and athleticism in the backfield be enough to get the win or will the Panther slot-t pound out a ball control victory?

Why so many questions Pud? Let me get back to you this evening after the scrimmage!

Pudlugger
08-22-2014, 08:29 AM
Why so many questions Pud? Let me get back to you this evening after the scrimmage!

Lots of questions this early in the season Panfan. It's going to come down to preparation. The team that makes the fewest errors usually wins when all else is equal. Our coaches have a good record of getting the team ready for the opener and so do the Panther coaches so it will be interesting to watch this play out. I'm watching out for the LH-Alverado scrimmage report as well.

speedbump
08-22-2014, 09:07 AM
EC doesn't run the slot T.

panfan
08-22-2014, 09:13 AM
Lots of questions this early in the season Panfan. It's going to come down to preparation. The team that makes the fewest errors usually wins when all else is equal. Our coaches have a good record of getting the team ready for the opener and so do the Panther coaches so it will be interesting to watch this play out. I'm watching out for the LH-Alverado scrimmage report as well.

Sure there are lots of questions. Which kids are gonna step up, are they ready physically and mentally, do they know their assignments. Can't argue that. But, scrimmage doesn't equal game day - excitement, prep, anticipation. I expect that both teams, come game day will be far from what has been observed in scrimmages.

speedbump
08-22-2014, 12:05 PM

Special teams and defense = a short field Pud. That's what the Leps will need until the O line comes together. We were in a similar situation last year and that's what carried us early on and then again when the injuries started to pile up. The return game should be way more than good enough and if your kicking game is good the Leps should weather the storm nicely. Avoid the injury bug and my guess is a pretty strong team come playoff time.

Pudlugger
08-22-2014, 12:52 PM
Special teams and defense = a short field Pud. That's what the Leps will need until the O line comes together. We were in a similar situation last year and that's what carried us early on and then again when the injuries started to pile up. The return game should be way more than good enough and if your kicking game is good the Leps should weather the storm nicely. Avoid the injury bug and my guess is a pretty strong team come playoff time.

Thanks speedbump. I agree the kicking game should be a big strength for the Leps. #5 Hutchison is a huge threat to take it to the house on the kickoff returns. He had a beauty on the opening KO against Ingleside in round three last season when Rigden our deep man lateraled the ball back to him. Most teams kick away from #5. Then there is soph #22 Dobbins who looks even better than last year and is one of the best athletes to wear the Lep uniform since his father set records back in 1997. WR #19 Rigden is also our kicker/punter and he gets a the ball high and well down field. He is also strong on PATs. He hit a 37 yard fg last night with ease. I don't know how good our KO and punt return coverage is though so we shall see. Things naturally improve from week to week but it is always good to get out of the gate quickly with that first win.

I stand corrected, EC does not run the slot t but they sure can run the ball. That big tailback is a hoss. Where was he last year?

speedbump
08-22-2014, 06:31 PM
Thanks speedbump.That big tailback is a hoss. Where was he last year?

Kevin Dove #30. Dove was busy being the districts newcomer of the year at D tackle. When BJ Flagg (all state honorable mention while only playing 6 games) went down for the season Dove was to get his shot at running back,but he too went out for the season when injured in practice three days later. Before his sophomore season last year, Gillis who doesn't praise a ton when it comes to individuals was quoted by TFB magazine as saying "Kevin Dove could be a special player down the road" I think down the road is here. When I read that it was like somebody saying Jack Benny just loaned a guy 20 bucks. LOL Alonte Harris #2 is also a Jr. this year. Gonna be fun for Bird fans the next two years.

Pudlugger
08-22-2014, 06:45 PM
Kevin Dove #30. Dove was busy being the districts newcomer of the year at D tackle. When BJ Flagg (all state honorable mention while only playing 6 games) went down for the season Dove was to get his shot at running back,but he too went out for the season when injured in practice three days later. Before his sophomore season last year, Gillis who doesn't praise a ton when it comes to individuals was quoted by TFB magazine as saying "Kevin Dove could be a special player down the road" I think down the road is here. When I read that it was like somebody saying Jack Benny just loaned a guy 20 bucks. LOL Alonte Harris #2 is also a Jr. this year. Gonna be fun for Bird fans the next two years.

I agree El Campo will go very deep this year. I was impressed with the size and speed of the Ricebirds and with Gillis coaching... well yall better look out for the Ricebirds.

zebrablue2
08-22-2014, 09:57 PM
LH gonna be back this yr, but going with the Leps by 6...

Pudlugger
08-24-2014, 05:45 PM

The Leps appreciate your support zebrablue2. Our defense is smaller this year but they swarm to the ball real good. Our offense has some real speed in the back field with #5 (4.3) and #22 (4.4). If we can get some stops from our D we should be able to put enough points on the board to get the win. Turnovers will be a big factor especially this early in the year. Our current new starters got plenty of playing time in the 14 game season last year, so they should be comfortable in their starting roles this year.

I look forward to hearing from the regular Panther posters on the board about their outlook for this game. Most folks favor LH which is good. Leps play harder as the underdog.

panfan
08-25-2014, 07:06 AM
[QUOTE= I look forward to hearing from the regular Panther posters on the board about their outlook for this game. Most folks favor LH which is good. Leps play harder as the underdog.[/QUOTE]

We lost our home opener last season by one point due to stupid mistakes (i.e., can you say 5-8 turnovers). Coaches and players were not happy about this, and we didn't loose another one until we came up against Vernon in the playoffs. LH does what it does, Pound the rock. Now we have a new twist, with tossing it in the air some. Gone are the days of stacking everyone in the box because no one is worried about a pass. La Grange will be tough, they are each and every year. We certainly are not taking them lightly. I've been encourage by the scrimmages. Few penalties, few fumbles or turnovers, just move the ball down the field and in. Defense has done their job and held when it mattered most. Ought to be a great opening night game. I voted that LH would take this one, I'll say by one score because I think La Grange will be tough and it will be a close game throughout.

YTBulldogs
08-25-2014, 09:49 AM
If LH contains the corner, they can win. If LG controls between tackles, they can win. Great opener here.

Cam
08-25-2014, 12:31 PM
We lost our home opener last season by one point due to stupid mistakes (i.e., can you say 5-8 turnovers). Coaches and players were not happy about this, and we didn't loose another one until we came up against Vernon in the playoffs. LH does what it does, Pound the rock. Now we have a new twist, with tossing it in the air some. Gone are the days of stacking everyone in the box because no one is worried about a pass. La Grange will be tough, they are each and every year. We certainly are not taking them lightly. I've been encourage by the scrimmages. Few penalties, few fumbles or turnovers, just move the ball down the field and in. Defense has done their job and held when it mattered most. Ought to be a great opening night game. I voted that LH would take this one, I'll say by one score because I think La Grange will be tough and it will be a close game throughout.

is this a hill country thang or what???....why does 97% of the population in this area spell "lose" with two "o's"???...L-O-O-S-E......even a newspaper reporter from a local paper does this....or have I been wrong all this time due to my own lack of quality edu-macation?....:crazy1:
I say the Hill wins...nobody will stop their offense until Burnet does in the playoffs!!...we owe ya'll!...dang Barneys!!......:stirpot::foul:

bd62
08-25-2014, 02:17 PM
2 outstanding and class programs going at it on first game of yr. Both teams will benefit from this game win or lose. Probably the best match up in 4A this week.LH in a very close game . Home field will be the difference early in season.There ball control offense is amazing when it's clicking. LG just reloads each yr. allways very displine and well coached as is LH. LG has more speed than they had in yrs. Saw those 2 kids Pud talked about last yr. and if they break they are gone.

Pudlugger
08-26-2014, 08:08 AM
Rain is predicted for Friday night. May have a game delay and a wet field. A wet football might be a problem especially for the slot -t hand offs. Turnovers might be the difference in a close game like this. Leps should practice with a wet ball this week LOL.

panfan
08-26-2014, 08:20 AM
Rain is predicted for Friday night. May have a game delay and a wet field. A wet football might be a problem especially for the slot -t hand offs. Turnovers might be the difference in a close game like this. Leps should practice with a wet ball this week LOL.

We played some of our best games in the rain. Usually is a problem for those teams relying on the pass, not the other way around. Agree though, turnovers will be a key factor.

SHSBulldog00
08-26-2014, 07:36 PM
LH running the Slot T on a wet field will shorten the game for LG's Spread Attack.

I see LH winning by 14

Pudlugger
08-26-2014, 07:47 PM
LH running the Slot T on a wet field will shorten the game for LG's Spread Attack.

I see LH winning by 14

Actually LG hasn't run the Spread since Coach Walker left for Sequin in 2009. The Leps run out of the I formation, Pistol and Shotgun with 1 or 2 backs. I would think a wet football would complicate the exchanges in the slot-t which already is a problem for fumbles. As for the Leps it will be on the qb and center to control the snaps. Probably a toss up as to wet field advantages when all is said and done.

SHSBulldog00
08-26-2014, 07:54 PM
Actually LG hasn't run the Spread since Coach Walker left for Sequin in 2009. The Leps run out of the I formation, Pistol and Shotgun with 1 or 2 backs. I would think a wet football would complicate the exchanges in the slot-t which already is a problem for fumbles. As for the Leps it will be on the qb and center to control the snaps. Probably a toss up as to wet field advantages when all is said and done.

2009 was the last time I saw a LG game. Guess I'm due for a return trip.

hookandladder
08-27-2014, 06:27 AM

Actually it was 2010 the last year we ran the spread, that was Kates first year here at La Grange. I feel this will be a very close game however I think LG speed ( Dobbins-4.3 and Hutchinson-4.5) in the backfield will be to much for LH to contain all night, also I doubt LH will kick it deep to those to either but if they do it could be bad for them. I will be listening on the radio, Good Luck to the Leps this year.

panfan
08-27-2014, 09:51 AM
Actually it was 2010 the last year we ran the spread, that was Kates first year here at La Grange. I feel this will be a very close game however I think LG speed ( Dobbins-4.3 and Hutchinson-4.5) in the backfield will be to much for LH to contain all night, also I doubt LH will kick it deep to those to either but if they do it could be bad for them. I will be listening on the radio, Good Luck to the Leps this year.

I showed this to my son. He chuckled and said "it only matters what they run with pads on" ! Smart kid. Tell them to run around the corner where #3 will be waiting for either one - he won't care which one, just wants to take someone's head off. Agree on kicking deep, why do that and allow the coverage to break down. Pooch kick all night - is my bet. Latest forecast is 60% chance of rain. We are breakin' out the stickem'.

hookandladder
08-27-2014, 10:03 AM
I showed this to my son. He chuckled and said "it only matters what they run with pads on" ! Smart kid. Tell them to run around the corner where #3 will be waiting for either one - he won't care which one, just wants to take someone's head off. Agree on kicking deep, why do that and allow the coverage to break down. Pooch kick all night - is my bet. Latest forecast is 60% chance of rain. We are breakin' out the stickem'.

He better be packing a D1 punch if he wants to take Dobbins head off, he is built like a train that runs like a deer. LOL.

panfan
08-27-2014, 10:13 AM
He better be packing a D1 punch if he wants to take Dobbins head off, he is built like a train that runs like a deer. LOL.

He is!

hookandladder
08-27-2014, 11:03 AM
He is!

Great, will have to check him out. Any offers yet, what schools is he looking at and what year is he. The Dobbins kid is only a sophomore but many D-1 schools are all over him, I would bet by the end of this year he will have offers on the table.He will most likely be the most heavily recruited kid out of LG in many years as long as he stays somewhat heathy, kid is just that talented and Dad was a stud also.

panfan
08-27-2014, 11:26 AM
Great, will have to check him out. Any offers yet, what schools is he looking at and what year is he. The Dobbins kid is only a sophomore but many D-1 schools are all over him, I would bet by the end of this year he will have offers on the table.He will most likely be the most heavily recruited kid out of LG in many years as long as he stays somewhat heathy, kid is just that talented and Dad was a stud also.

I watched some video on Dobbins - fast, quick, elusive runner with some top end speed. #3 is a Senior, looked at several schools, several schools came out and looked at him this spring - West point offered - he accepted.

Pudlugger
08-27-2014, 12:51 PM
I watched some video on Dobbins - fast, quick, elusive runner with some top end speed. #3 is a Senior, looked at several schools, several schools came out and looked at him this spring - West point offered - he accepted.

Obviously #3 is an exceptional young man beyond athletics if he was accepted to West Point. Best wishes from La Grange and congratulations!

hookandladder
08-27-2014, 01:44 PM

Congrats to #3 , most do not know how much of an honor it is to play at the next level and being West Point makes it even sweeter. The Dobbins kid grew and put on weight over the summer and did not lose a step, the kid is going to be a beast.

Pudlugger
08-27-2014, 05:18 PM
Congrats to #3 , most do not know how much of an honor it is to play at the next level and being West Point makes it even sweeter. The Dobbins kid grew and put on weight over the summer and did not lose a step, the kid is going to be a beast.

Yeah Hook, I noticed J.K. looked about 2 inches taller and more buff than before. Kids hit their growth spurt around 14-17 so I expect he'll be a couple inches taller by his senior year. He sure is exciting to watch. I expect he'll get some touches on the bubble screen Friday. If the corner gets beat he'll take it to the house.

panfan
08-28-2014, 08:34 AM
Obviously #3 is an exceptional young man beyond athletics if he was accepted to West Point. Best wishes from La Grange and congratulations!
Mrs. Panfan and I are kinda partial to the boy! Appreciate it.
Now, whose ready to get it on. Leps better have their spots on tight, more than a few will be left on the field Friday!

1st and goal
08-28-2014, 09:56 AM
So will another team from our district (LG) come into your house and spoil your opener? Good question. I believe LG will have a really good year and this might be one of their toughest games. But in the end, I'll take the Leps by 9.

Hope LH coach doesn't have another hissy fit at the end of the game. He's better than that. Just hard to have composure after a tough loss.

Hope for an injury free game. Good luck to #3 Panfan and congrats to his prestigious West Point acceptance. I've heard those WP frosh are so time managed that if they see a dollar bill blowing past their feet, they don't have time to pick it up. In fact, they'd better out run it to their destination.

panfan
08-28-2014, 10:21 AM
So will another team from our district (LG) come into your house and spoil your opener? Good question. I believe LG will have a really good year and this might be one of their toughest games. But in the end, I'll take the Leps by 9.

Hope LH coach doesn't have another hissy fit at the end of the game. He's better than that. Just hard to have composure after a tough loss.

Hope for an injury free game. Good luck to #3 Panfan and congrats to his prestigious West Point acceptance. I've heard those WP frosh are so time managed that if they see a dollar bill blowing past their feet, they don't have time to pick it up. In fact, they'd better out run it to their destination.

I think overall this year's squad is better than last year's squad. The juniors and sophs that moved up are big and strong. Most of the seniors are 3-4 year starters on varsity so they have plenty experience. Now let their actions back up my words!!! I don't recall the end of the game, maybe cause I have blocked it from my memory! New year here.

Good luck to both teams for injury free game - safe travels to La Grange Fans to and from tomorrow evening.

Pudlugger
08-28-2014, 02:48 PM
Thanks Panfan. As I see it it all comes down to how well our defense performs. We have a few new guys playing defense who look pretty good and a solid core of 7 returning starters from our 2013 Semifinalist team. If they can get a few stops our offense should be able to put up enough points to get the win. We can not allow the Panthers to control the ball and run out the clock. It is great to be on the threshold of another exciting season of Leopard football. Go Leps!

refereedoc
08-28-2014, 05:58 PM
He is!

You got that right! Son of Panfan is a MAN!

panfan
08-29-2014, 08:01 AM
You got that right! Son of Panfan is a MAN!

He was really bummed he only got 1/2 dozen or so plays against ya'll and even more bummed he had to pull up when he had the shot!

I guess ya'll are gonna do what the eskimos do to baby seals tonight to that team from Alaska. I expect they will be tough for a while, until the heat and speed of the game just overwhelms them.

buff4ever
08-29-2014, 10:41 AM
I would like to see LG pull this one out, but I don't think they will.

Pudlugger
08-29-2014, 11:18 AM
I would like to see LG pull this one out, but I don't think they will.

Don't lose faith Buff the Leps can do it. This is a strong group of kids who know how to win. I think they will surprise some folks in the next few weeks.

toddg
08-29-2014, 11:30 AM
LH front 7 is downright good!!

Super_R
08-29-2014, 01:46 PM
I'm excited to finally get to see my Panthers play tonight! Its been to long. I've heard good things so far...and I expect them to start the season off right with a W!

Come on with the come on!!!

refereedoc
08-29-2014, 02:20 PM
LH front 7 is downright good!!

Todd: You must have taken that picture in Stephenville. Just like shooting pictures in a closet there :(

hookandladder
08-29-2014, 09:43 PM
Leps taking LH boys out behind the woodshed tonight, 24- zip after 3, home field not making a difference tonight.

panfan
08-29-2014, 10:42 PM
Leps taking LH boys out behind the woodshed tonight, 24- zip after 3, home field not making a difference tonight.
No arguments there hook. Leps played well and we didn't. We killed ourselves with penalties and fumbles and yall capitalized on all of it. Good game La Grange. Back to drawing board for LH.

zebrablue2
08-29-2014, 11:34 PM

Good start to the season Leps, congrats...

LHPfactory
08-30-2014, 12:21 AM
Much like last year, we opened against Giddings and only scored 1 offensive TD, but lost by a point to them, The mistakes cost us big, but it takes a few games for our system to run smooth. Alot to work on this week for sure, I believe we will get there.

Pudlugger
08-30-2014, 12:25 AM
Good start to the season Leps, congrats...

Thanks Zebra, most folks had us losing this game. It started out with a 17 point blitz with sophomore #22 Dobbins breaking away for a 40 yard td run up the middle on the 4th play of the first series of the game. The Panthers broke for a 65 yard td around the left end but it was called back for a block in the back. The Panthers advanced to the one yard line on a pass interference call in the endzone but fumbled to us on the next play over the middle. On the first play from the one Dobbins broke a tackle in the secondary and ran 99 yards for a td. In the next series the Panthers fumbled and we recovered on the 35. The Panther D held us at the 30 yardline but our kicker #10 Rigden nailed the 47 yard FG to go up 17-0 midway in the first quarter. Well that meant the Panther brain trust had to throw out the Woody Hays play book and start throwing the ball and going to a more open set. From then on Coach Kates took a page out of LH's book and just ran the football and clock. Both defenses held scoreless until the Leps scored on a 20 yard burst up the middle by #5 Hutchinson on our first drive in the third. The second defense gave up the only td in the last 4 minutes of the 4th quarter on a nice toss on a post route deep. All in all an excellent start for the Leps with very gratifying play from the defense and the O line. Leps will be fine this year. Now on to Columbus at home Friday. Go Leps!

duckhunter
08-30-2014, 07:20 AM
Good win for the Leps.

zebrablue2
08-30-2014, 08:00 AM
Thanks Zebra, most folks had us losing this game. It started out with a 17 point blitz with sophomore #22 Dobbins breaking away for a 40 yard td run up the middle on the 4th play of the first series of the game. The Panthers broke for a 65 yard td around the left end but it was called back for a block in the back. The Panthers advanced to the one yard line on a pass interference call in the endzone but fumbled to us on the next play over the middle. On the first play from the one Dobbins broke a tackle in the secondary and ran 99 yards for a td. In the next series the Panthers fumbled and we recovered on the 35. The Panther D held us at the 30 yardline but our kicker #10 Rigden nailed the 47 yard FG to go up 17-0 midway in the first quarter. Well that meant the Panther brain trust had to throw out the Woody Hays play book and start throwing the ball and going to a more open set. From then on Coach Kates took a page out of LH's book and just ran the football and clock. Both defenses held scoreless until the Leps scored on a 20 yard burst up the middle by #5 Hutchinson on our first drive in the third. The second defense gave up the only td in the last 4 minutes of the 4th quarter on a nice toss on a post route deep. All in all an excellent start for the Leps with very gratifying play from the defense and the O line. Leps will be fine this year. Now on to Columbus at home Friday. Go Leps!

Always appreciate your recap Pud, looks like the Leps have another exciting year ahead. What kin is Dobbins to C L? I see him every Monday at Weikels, don't want to give him too much credit for this young man being good:)

Pudlugger
08-30-2014, 08:10 AM
Always appreciate your recap Pud, looks like the Leps have another exciting year ahead. What kin is Dobbins to C L? I see him every Monday at Weikels, don't want to give him too much credit for this young man being good:)

J.K. Dobbins is the son of former Lep All State running back Lawrence Dobbins*. Dad can be seen proudly backing the Leps and his son at every LG game. J.K. has grown a couple of inches and put on some muscle since his varsity debut as a 14 year old freshman last year. He is going to be another great one and folks around here are also mighty proud of this fine young man. Tradition and family are big here in the great state of Texas.

*1997 Leps hand Sealy their only lose in 65 games in the regular season but fall to the Tigers in Semifinal 28-14 with Dobbins and freshman Qb Tye Gunn leading the Leopards that year.

LH Panther Mom
08-30-2014, 08:31 AM
Ugh is about the best thing I have to say. :speech:

Pudlugger
08-30-2014, 08:43 AM

I must say I was surprised at the lack of discipline displayed by the Panthers in several personal fouls and unsportsmanlike penalties. One of them occurred in the third quarter after a good stop made by a Panther dt on third down. He took off his helmet and taunted #5 Hutchison after the tackle. Uffdah!!...he was tossed off the field and 15 yards and a first down instead of 4th and long for the Leps. Hutchinson scored on the next play on a nice 20 yard stroll up the middle. Ouch! Hopefully Coach Vance will address these issues before they travel to Brenham to take on the Bears.

1st and goal
08-30-2014, 08:49 AM
I've had to say that more than a few times on the "morning after". Not just for football either. Some of the worst ughs were alcohol related ughs.

Good win Leps. Sounds like a solid performance with a couple of bounces your way to put a nail in it. That Dobbin's will be a force to deal with until he graduates.

Pudlugger
08-30-2014, 08:57 AM
I've had to say that more than a few times on the "morning after". Not just for football either. Some of the worst ughs were alcohol related ughs.

TMI 1st! :o

1st and goal
08-30-2014, 09:05 AM
TMI 1st! :o

That's why I only gave the "G" rated condensed version. Not admitting to anything.

YTBulldogs
08-30-2014, 09:08 AM
Congrats LaGrange. Nice win Pud. All the way this year bud.

Pudlugger
08-30-2014, 09:42 AM
Congrats LaGrange. Nice win Pud. All the way this year bud.

Thanks YT. Dang! Your Bulldogs hung 54 and a goose egg on Marion last night. Is Marion down this year or are the Bulldogs just scary good?

Pudlugger
08-30-2014, 10:24 AM
Nice highlight video at KVUE Game of the Week.

http://www.kvue.com/story/sports/2014/08/30/game-of-the-week-lagrange-vs-liberty-hill/14849381/

panfan
08-30-2014, 06:26 PM
I must say I was surprised at the lack of discipline displayed by the Panthers in several personal fouls and unsportsmanlike penalties. One of them occurred in the third quarter after a good stop made by a Panther dt on third down. He took off his helmet and taunted #5 Hutchison after the tackle. Uffdah!!...he was tossed off the field and 15 yards and a first down instead of 4th and long for the Leps. Hutchinson scored on the next play on a nice 20 yard stroll up the middle. Ouch! Hopefully Coach Vance will address these issues before they travel to Brenham to take on the Bears.

Well unfortunately you saw what I saw what the ref saw, which is not what happened at all. Watch the film on that play if you get a chance. The lep lineman was on top of the LH defender, pushed his helmet off from back to to front. All this happened while they were on the ground. As they began to separate, the LH kid got up, his helmet hanging from his mouthpiece still in his mouth and he then tossed it down. That is what we all saw, but not what went on before hand. No excuses. He should have maintained his composure. He could have easily ripped the kid a new one on the next play - with experience he will learn that. None the less - my hats of to the Leps for getting after us - providing a rude awakening, that we will learn from , and move forward and get better. Good luck as your season progresses.