PDA

View Full Version : La Grange - Lockhart Scrimmage 8/21

Pudlugger
08-20-2014, 08:51 AM
This will tell us much about the Leps this season. After a tough encounter with a quality opponent in El Campo the Leps line up against a struggling 5A Lockheart team. I'm confident Coach K has been working out the kinks and adjusting the lineup after reviewing the films from the EC scrimmage and we should see improvement in the defense especially against the run. On offense I would expect to see more play action stuff and running to the outside to take advantage of our excellent speed. We have quality WR in 6' 3" #19 Rigden who made a clutch reception in tight coverage and broke it for a td against the Ricebirds Friday. Expect to see some swing passes to Dobbins in the flat as well. As for the Qb it seems to me the senior #2 Dixon has the best command of the offense right now. He exhibited confidence and poise against a tough pass rush last Friday and gets the ball released quickly and accurately and has quickness and mobility out of the pocket as well. The Leps have much work to do to earn the high rankings in the preseason polls. Our opening game with Liberty Hill is going to be one of the toughest games on our schedule. The senior leadership and coaches have their work cut out for them to prepare for the wing t running attack of the Panthers.

bd62
08-20-2014, 12:22 PM
No problem for Leps. Heard Cuero put 8 Tds on them without starting QB.

SintonFan_inAustin
08-20-2014, 12:59 PM
is the ex coach from Mathis still head coach for Lockhart?

Snotbubbles
08-20-2014, 01:09 PM

:doh: Just 8? Now Victoria North this week.

Snotbubbles
08-20-2014, 01:10 PM
is the ex coach from Mathis still head coach for Lockhart?

Sounds like it.

tango
08-20-2014, 01:27 PM

Was Cuero starting QB not playing in the scrimmage? Is he injured?

hookandladder
08-20-2014, 02:39 PM
This will tell us much about the Leps this season. After a tough encounter with a quality opponent in El Campo the Leps line up against a struggling 5A Lockheart team. I'm confident Coach K has been working out the kinks and adjusting the lineup after reviewing the films from the EC scrimmage and we should see improvement in the defense especially against the run. On offense I would expect to see more play action stuff and running to the outside to take advantage of our excellent speed. We have quality WR in 6' 3" #19 Rigden who made a clutch reception in tight coverage and broke it for a td against the Ricebirds Friday. Expect to see some swing passes to Dobbins in the flat as well. As for the Qb it seems to me the senior #2 Dixon has the best command of the offense right now. He exhibited confidence and poise against a tough pass rush last Friday and gets the ball released quickly and accurately and has quickness and mobility out of the pocket as well. The Leps have much work to do to earn the high rankings in the preseason polls. Our opening game with Liberty Hill is going to be one of the toughest games on our schedule. The senior leadership and coaches have their work cut out for them to prepare for the wing t running attack of the Panthers.

You sure Dixon is playing, I thought I heard he was not playing. The Leps have another kid playing QB about the same size as Dixon, that would be the Janda kid. I could be wrong though, maybe Dixon is playing.

Pudlugger
08-20-2014, 03:46 PM
You sure Dixon is playing, I thought I heard he was not playing. The Leps have another kid playing QB about the same size as Dixon, that would be the Janda kid. I could be wrong though, maybe Dixon is playing.

Well that may be, I was watching a player Friday that I thought was Dixon. If he is not playing that could be a big problem for the Leps. I guess I'm not plugged into the network if I missed that bit of news! :o

GobblersUnite
08-20-2014, 04:07 PM
He played and no he isn't injured. He passed for 3 scores in the workout.

hookandladder
08-21-2014, 06:45 AM
Well that may be, I was watching a player Friday that I thought was Dixon. If he is not playing that could be a big problem for the Leps. I guess I'm not plugged into the network if I missed that bit of news! :o

Was told yesterday that he is not playing, so most likely you will see the Janda kid at QB as long as he stays heathly and also Dobbins will see some time at QB as well.

Pudlugger
08-21-2014, 07:35 AM
Thanks Hook, I'll be watching them closely tonight. In the EC scrimmage Janda looked very good and fooled me thinking he was Dixon. Same size and good moves and seemed very comfortable in the backfield. Dobbins at Qb would be a whole new dimension on offense with his speed and agility. Can he throw the ball? The Leps will be OK.

Was told yesterday that he is not playing, so most likely you will see the Janda kid at QB as long as he stays heathly and also Dobbins will see some time at QB as well.

hookandladder
08-21-2014, 11:32 AM
Thanks Hook, I'll be watching them closely tonight. In the EC scrimmage Janda looked very good and fooled me thinking he was Dixon. Same size and good moves and seemed very comfortable in the backfield. Dobbins at Qb would be a whole new dimension on offense with his speed and agility. Can he throw the ball? The Leps will be OK.

I think Janda would do a good job, with him it's about staying healthy. Dobbins can do anything and will see a number of snaps at QB, he can passs good enoguh to get by. I think the offense will be ok but the defense will need to step up, may have to just out score teams this year in District.

Pudlugger
08-21-2014, 10:08 PM
The Leps looked very sharp tonight easily handling 5A Lockhart 7-1 and each with a FG. The controlled scrimmage was 5-0 and the simulated half 13-6. Our offense looked very fast with most everyone clicking on cue. Janda will be a threat at qb with his quickness and accurate passing. Both Hutchison and Dobbins broke long runs tonight for 85 and 60 yards respectively. The OL is gelling now and controlled the line of scrimmage all night. Our defense contained the wing-t well and that is good since Liberty Hill is the master of that offense. The second teams also performed well with qb Koether and wr McKenzie connecting on several passes. The 2nd D held the Lions scoreless. Lockhart is not in the same class as El Campo yet it is apparent that the Leps have improved and the coaches have remedied some of the issues from last week. With a solid week of practice left before our opener against Liberty Hill the Leps should be in good shape going in.

Snotbubbles
08-22-2014, 09:31 AM
The Leps looked very sharp tonight easily handling 5A Lockhart 7-1 and each with a FG. The controlled scrimmage was 5-0 and the simulated half 13-6. Our offense looked very fast with most everyone clicking on cue. Janda will be a threat at qb with his quickness and accurate passing. Both Hutchison and Dobbins broke long runs tonight for 85 and 60 yards respectively. The OL is gelling now and controlled the line of scrimmage all night. Our defense contained the wing-t well and that is good since Liberty Hill is the master of that offense. The second teams also performed well with qb Koether and wr McKenzie connecting on several passes. The 2nd D held the Lions scoreless. Lockhart is not in the same class as El Campo yet it is apparent that the Leps have improved and the coaches have remedied some of the issues from last week. With a solid week of practice left before our opener against Liberty Hill the Leps should be in good shape going in.

Poor Lockheart. Wish 4A schools would stop picking on them. Weimar, Schulenburg not available for a little tougher competition? Like Cuero, should of played Yorktown or Nursery, for a better opponent.:doh:

Pudlugger
08-22-2014, 10:37 AM
Poor Lockheart. Wish 4A schools would stop picking on them. Weimar, Schulenburg not available for a little tougher competition? Like Cuero, should of played Yorktown or Nursery, for a better opponent.:doh:

Yeah, they looked small and not particularly fast for a 5A program. I have seen better teams from Lockhart over the past decade or so. It might have been a better test for the Leps had they scrimmaged Lockhart first then the physical Ricebird team second. That way they would be better prepared for the physical LH Panthers next week.