PDA

View Full Version : North Texas or Texas State?

Rattler
08-14-2014, 01:36 PM
North Texas or Texas State?
My boy has offers from each of these in state schools. Give me your pro's and con for each.
Travel time Denton: 2 hours / San Marcus: 4.5 hours.

panfan
08-14-2014, 01:41 PM
To play ball I assume

bobcat1
08-14-2014, 01:54 PM
I like North Texas cause it's close. I live in Sanger and go to Graham every Friday. You can make that trip in 1.5 hours to Denton now with the widening of 380 from Decatur to Denton.

Macarthur
08-14-2014, 01:57 PM
Depends on what he wants to get his degree. That needs to be the biggest factor in the decision.

Rabid Cougar
08-14-2014, 02:34 PM
My boy has offers from each of these in state schools. Give me your pro's and con for each.

Obviously North Texas.
North Texas has newer facilities (Apogee Stadium and Mean Green Village (The Athletic Complex). Their dorm is right next to the Athletic Facility and stadium. One of the best football stadiums I have ever watched a game in. Not a bad seat in the place.
http://www.meangreenmap.com/athleticcenter.html
http://www.meangreenmap.com/apogeestadium.html
Strength and Conditioning Program is top notch. (My son will vouch for that) http://www.meangreenmap.com/strength.html?DB_OEM_ID=1800
The oppertunity to compete and defeat any opponent on their schedule, including Texas.
North Texas has games vs in state conference schools (Rice, UTSA, UT-El Paso) plus they have SMU in non conference for the next 4/6 years so you get as many as 10 "home" games .
You will play a Big 10 team and a SEC team every year. Those trips are freaking awesome.
C-USA vs Sun Belt -- no brainer.
Best halftime show...period. Not any "band" better that the Greeen Brigade ... and I am an Aggie.

C-USA Bowl Tie ins:
#1 The Liberty Bowl versus SEC #8.
#2 The Hawai'i Bowl versus Mountain West #5.
#3 The Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl [3] versus AAC #6.
#4 The Heart of Dallas Bowl versus Big Ten #7.
#5 The Military Bowl versus ACC #8.
#6 The New Orleans Bowl versus Sun Belt #1.

Sun Belt
#1 The New Orleans Bowl versus Conference USA
#2 The GoDaddy Bowl versus MAC
#3 The Camellia Bowl versus MAC

Two hours from you home. 6:00 pm games are over at 10:00 pm and you take your son out to eat afterwards puts you home at 1:30 or 2:00am. (Did that for four seasons).

Oh yea.. and Education is top notch. 61 of their kids that stayed over the summer had a 3.00 or better

And to wet your pallet.... "The Stand" Rice ran eight plays inside the North Texas six-yard line, seven of them snapped inside the Mean Green three for -12 yards and zero points.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfSBI6PTlSw at the 5:30 mark.

bobcat1
08-14-2014, 03:03 PM
And there you have it!

caleb_mccaig
08-14-2014, 03:19 PM
Definitely depends on major and rather he would like to be closer to the metroplex or Austin.

I know every parent doesn't like to think this, but 99% of kids are going to have some fun in college, and almost all athletes get preferred treatment when they go out. North Texas definitely has a better program at this moment in time, but I think a kid is going to have way more fun at Texas State than in Denton.

And like I said, he may not care at all and there are plenty who don't care. But I also think if an athlete doesn't have fun while they're in school, in a smart way of course, then they're throwing away an experience that 99% of the student body don't get to have.

Anytime I think about this, I think of Arizona State. They get a good amount of their recruits because that campus has the best looking co-eds and are the biggest party school in the country.

Rabid Cougar
08-14-2014, 03:21 PM
And there you have it!

Not even biased. :)

Rabid Cougar
08-14-2014, 03:28 PM
Definitely depends on major and rather he would like to be closer to the metroplex or Austin.

I know every parent doesn't like to think this, but 99% of kids are going to have some fun in college, and almost all athletes get preferred treatment when they go out. North Texas definitely has a better program at this moment in time, but I think a kid is going to have way more fun at Texas State than in Denton.

And like I said, he may not care at all and there are plenty who don't care. But I also think if an athlete doesn't have fun while they're in school, in a smart way of course, then they're throwing away an experience that 99% of the student body don't get to have.

Anytime I think about this, I think of Arizona State. They get a good amount of their recruits because that campus has the best looking co-eds and are the biggest party school in the country.

And Texas State is the biggest Party School in Texas, has been forever.

Really..... decision should be made on what he wants his degree in.

They have an outstanding Kineseology ,Business and Education Programs. Best music school in the United States.

Gen.Pat
08-14-2014, 04:51 PM
UNT by far for football. Every thing nicer than Texas State.

slingshot
08-14-2014, 06:30 PM
San Marcos. Hands down... most beautiful campus in the state if not the country, more gorgeous women than most people can imagine, San Marcos river right next to campus (tubing that river on a balmy Saturday afternoon--not much better), 30 minutes to Austin/60 minutes to San Antonio.

--Texas State (Southwest Texas back then... ) Class of '82 Bachelor's
--University of North Texas Class of '89 Med School

panfan
08-14-2014, 10:33 PM
North Texas!

gatordaze
08-15-2014, 09:07 AM
I have one son at Texas and another that stayed home and went to Collin for a year. He spent a lot of time with friends at UNT and describes UNT as a big Collin County with fraternities. He is leaving tomorrow for Texas State. From a football perspective UNT will never get the benefit of the doubt and is a perennial bottom dweller in spite of their enrollment. TSU is only in their 2nd year of D1, they have a new stadium and facilities.. They already recruit on par with UNT and will be able to recruit much better in the very near future. UNT is alot like UCF in that they are a commuter college with a bulk of their enrollment being working adults.

If you want your son to thank you send him to San Marcos.

panfan
08-15-2014, 09:30 AM

Been to both, went to school at UNT back when it was NTSU, lived down the road from TS back when it was SWT. Wife got masters from TS at extension campus, got mine at UNT. We have a fair amount of collective knowledge about both schools. Have twins in that "decision" year now asking this very same question you pose. Both the wife and I agree that from an overall educational standpoint, UNT is likely up the ladder, and unlike one poster, who said athletically UNT is a bottom dweller, they obviously haven't seen UNT's recent academic successes. UNT used to be horrible at football. I don't think that can be said anymore. And FYI take a look at ol Franchione's record lately, Its not too bright and shiny. I digress. Athletics are an avenue to education. Depends on the types of interest your boy has for a career, then selecting the university that provides the best opportunity/education for him to fulfill that. And, oh yeah, he will get to play some ball along the way!!!! Best of Luck.

Rabid Cougar
08-15-2014, 10:06 AM
UNT is alot like UCF in that they are a commuter college with a bulk of their enrollment being working adults.

The question is which football team that you want to play for?

Team that ended the season in 2013 9-3 with a New Years Day Bowl win, receiving votes in the final 2013 Coaches poll. Ranked 36th in the last FCS poll. Defense ranked in the top 20 in the Nation. No. 8 in point againts. 50th in points for,47th in rushing and 69th in passsing. AND beat two common opponents (Idaho and Southern Miss) 95-20

OR a team that went 6-6 (2-5 in Conference) 71st in point against, 95th in Point for, 65 in Rusing and 116th in passing. Beat two common opponents (idaho and Southern Miss) 59- 36

School size, frats, who lives where, entertainment? Its all a push. San Marcos as it's pluses. Denton has them too.