PDA

View Full Version : Sideline to Sideline Rankings and Darkhorses

Gsquared
08-14-2014, 06:57 AM
https://theoldcoach.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1424329

panfan
08-14-2014, 08:36 AM
You guys are funny. Content......I left feeling empty.

Gsquared
08-14-2014, 08:58 AM

I left feeling empty and confused

Txbroadcaster
08-14-2014, 10:16 AM

Help us out..what were you wanting?

panfan
08-14-2014, 10:45 AM

To be fair, I listened to the 4A part. Was expecting some good info and discussion on darkhorse teams, although what we heard was info about top one or two teams, maybe three. I really didn't come away thinking I heard anything about potential darkhorse teams. Last week ya'll said La Vernia was ranked too low by Dave Cambells, and FNF had them ranked higher. This week ya'll commented that the AP poll showed a little love to La Vernia, but nothing else, really? I'm no La Vernia fan, but I'm guessing this might be one of those teams to watch, and therefore, I would be listening to you guys to tell me why they are a team to watch. Not why I should be paying attention to S-ville, et al. that ya'll like to focus on. Anyway, I left feeling empty. Just my opinion and you asked so there ya go. I'll keep listening!

Txbroadcaster
08-14-2014, 10:58 AM
To be fair, I listened to the 4A part. Was expecting some good info and discussion on darkhorse teams, although what we heard was info about top one or two teams, maybe three. I really didn't come away thinking I heard anything about potential darkhorse teams. Last week ya'll said La Vernia was ranked too low by Dave Cambells, and FNF had them ranked higher. This week ya'll commented that the AP poll showed a little love to La Vernia, but nothing else, really? I'm no La Vernia fan, but I'm guessing this might be one of those teams to watch, and therefore, I would be listening to you guys to tell me why they are a team to watch. Not why I should be paying attention to S-ville, et al. that ya'll like to focus on. Anyway, I left feeling empty. Just my opinion and you asked so there ya go. I'll keep listening!

The issue we have when we do the pre season shows is that if we give out alot of team info every show we just sound like we are repeating ourself over and over. We did call La Vernia a dark horse but we want to save some of the content for our big preview show..plus our AP poll segment went way way longer than intended lol.

and I asked because I wanted a real response and we thank you for that. We always are looking for insight on what people hear and want to hear.

Emerson1
08-14-2014, 11:55 AM
More Forney talk, duh.

Txbroadcaster
08-14-2014, 12:51 PM
more forney talk, duh.

no no no never never never

jason
08-14-2014, 01:01 PM
copperas cove will shock the world week 2!!!

panfan
08-14-2014, 01:31 PM
copperas cove will shock the world week 2!!!

I have offended the S'ville faithful by mentioning their name as a focus team on S2S. Two of their minions come forth to defend their honor. :taunt:

bobcat1
08-14-2014, 01:51 PM
I left feeling insulted again. "No talent in Celina", said Terry. :rolleyes: I'll keep listening like Panfan but just because of G2. :smoker:

Txbroadcaster
08-14-2014, 03:27 PM
I left feeling insulted again. "No talent in Celina", said Terry. :rolleyes: I'll keep listening like Panfan but just because of G2. :smoker:

LOL now your just making stuff up.

SintonFan_inAustin
08-14-2014, 04:03 PM
i'll wait til playoffs to listen, less teams and then south texas teams might get some air time. :)

toddg
08-14-2014, 04:06 PM
boots n cats n boots n cats n boots n cats n boots n cats.......

BwdLion73
08-14-2014, 04:56 PM

Oh knock it off...I been pissed since they picked Celina over Brownwood in the best teams since the 60's! LOL
Sometimes they make my hair hurt...but at least they are real H.S. football people. I find that their programs also increase my alcohol intake.;)

regaleagle
08-14-2014, 05:04 PM
Regarding the darkhorse teams in 4A, I would think that Argyle should be considered one for sure. I mean, you have some powerhouse teams ahead of them like Stephenville, Navasota, Kilgore, Graham, and Carthage. Argyle lost so much to graduation, yet still has a younger core with experience and a couple of D1's on this team that could possibly surprise if they can stay healthy and really play outstanding in the playoffs. It is my opinion there are holes in this team that need to be filled for them to get to the regional final. BUT, if they do win the region, then they should be prepared to give the Region I champ(Stephenville, Graham, Big Spring?) a friendly hello. Their schedule should prepare this team early for very quality teams come play-off time....barring any key losses to injuries. I would hafta call Argyle a darkhorse to get to Arlington again. Maybe Big Spring is kinda in the same boat. Is everybody a darkhorse against Stephenville in Region I and Region II this year? Maybe not Graham or Kilgore.

Remember....Argyle is a "small" D1 school with less than 700 students.

hollywood
08-14-2014, 05:15 PM
Regarding the darkhorse teams in 4A, I would think that Argyle should be considered one for sure. I mean, you have some powerhouse teams ahead of them like Stephenville, Navasota, Kilgore, Graham, and Carthage. Argyle lost so much to graduation, yet still has a younger core with experience and a couple of D1's on this team that could possibly surprise if they can stay healthy and really play outstanding in the playoffs. It is my opinion there are holes in this team that need to be filled for them to get to the regional final. BUT, if they do win the region, then they should be prepared to give the Region I champ(Stephenville, Graham, Big Spring?) a friendly hello. Their schedule should prepare this team early for very quality teams come play-off time....barring any key losses to injuries. I would hafta call Argyle a darkhorse to get to Arlington again. Maybe Big Spring is kinda in the same boat. Is everybody a darkhorse against Stephenville in Region I and Region II this year? Maybe not Graham or Kilgore.

Everyone's got an opinion. That makes it fun. But to answer your questions, yes, everybody in Region I and II is a darkhorse against Stephenville this year. Even Graham and Kilgo. Just throwing it out there in case anyone's unaware of how powerful Stephenville will be this year. You think 2012 was somethin'? Ah man, get ready for another unstoppable O. Givin me chills just talkin about it!

Good luck to Argyle this year btw. ;)

regaleagle
08-14-2014, 05:26 PM
I'm also not sure you guys didn't get a "brainfreeze" regarding Halletsville in the 3A-D1 category. They lost their outstanding QB Kowalik(41 td passes) to district foe Goliad as a move-in this summer when the dad took the job as the new GHS principal. Goliad was rated right beneath Halletsville for that district. What kind of effect will that move have on both of these teams going forward this season? Won't Halletsville take a step back and perhaps Goliad a step up with this change? That district game should be interesting to follow.

BwdLion73
08-14-2014, 05:35 PM
I consider a Dark Horse Program a team that is not well known that emerges in the playoffs. Like a team that is not is not likely to succeed. Argyle is not a team that I would consider a Dark Horse. If they are there toward the end it would not surprise me.

bobcat1
08-14-2014, 07:11 PM
Oh knock it off...I been pissed since they picked Celina over Brownwood in the best teams since the 60's! LOL
Sometimes they make my hair hurt...but at least they are real H.S. football people. I find that their programs also increase my alcohol intake.;)
That was one program I think Terry was on his meds.

toddg
08-14-2014, 11:31 PM
There is no such thing as a "small" div.1....hence the split..not that big of desparity between top and bottom

Dawgs
08-15-2014, 02:25 AM
Everyone's got an opinion. That makes it fun. But to answer your questions, yes, everybody in Region I and II is a darkhorse against Stephenville this year. Even Graham and Kilgo. Just throwing it out there in case anyone's unaware of how powerful Stephenville will be this year. You think 2012 was somethin'? Ah man, get ready for another unstoppable O. Givin me chills just talkin about it!

Good luck to Argyle this year btw. ;)

Hope you Villians are having a good year out there! I see you have once again started your journey on the "Unstoppable" bandwagon. Little early I think, to be saying they will be better than 2012 offense. That was right up there with all time 3a offenses. If, and that's a big IF Ville gets out of there side of the bracket there will be a beast from Region 3 waiting on them. I don't care what anybody says Championship goes thru region 3 this year. 3 big time physical teams Kilgore, Carthage, and Sota is a heck of a region right there. Throw in CH and a few others, and the Region 3 Champ will come out battle tested and proving to play physical football. After last year I just don't know about that sissy ball they play out there in Region 1. Just a weak region, and very hard to judge.

Dawgs
08-15-2014, 02:35 AM
[QUOTE=regaleagle;1816765]Regarding the darkhorse teams in 4A, I would think that Argyle should be considered one for sure. I mean, you have some powerhouse teams ahead of them like Stephenville, Navasota, Kilgore, Graham, and Carthage. Argyle lost so much to graduation, yet still has a younger core with experience and a couple of D1's on this team that could possibly surprise if they can stay healthy and really play outstanding in the playoffs. It is my opinion there are holes in this team that need to be filled for them to get to the regional final. BUT, if they do win the region, then they should be prepared to give the Region I champ(Stephenville, Graham, Big Spring?) a friendly hello. Their schedule should prepare this team early for very quality teams come play-off time....barring any key losses to injuries. I would hafta call Argyle a darkhorse to get to Arlington again. Maybe Big Spring is kinda in the same boat. Is everybody a darkhorse against Stephenville in Region I and Region II this year? Maybe not Graham or Kilgore.

Reagal, calling Argyle a darkhorse is like calling Carthage one. I think both are capable of winning ball games in the trenches every year. When teams are able to control the line of scrimmage it puts the ball game in there court. When you can do that you always have a chance for something special. I think Carthage and Argyle are in the same boat this year. Ranked higher than they should be at the beginning of the year based on recent history. I don't have any expectations for this years team except to improve every game. I will give some insight, and thats we should have one of the best defensive front seven in the state. You heard it hear first. If we are able to put together a secondary we will have a chance in every game. But when your starting 10 new offensive starters you just never know. Especially when your lose includes the all time leading receiver, rusher, and passer in school history. Good luck to Argyle this year. I have alot of respect for yall's program.

2muchOffense
08-15-2014, 03:27 AM
While I don't agree with the Dawg's sissy ball comment, I do agree that region 3 is the toughest in the state. As a Jacket fan, I know that a extremely tough team from out east will be waiting if we make it that far. Now as for everyone else in region 1 or 2 being a darkhorse next to the Jackets is crazy talk. There are a couple of tests in our own district let alone once we get to the playoffs. People better not look past Big Spring. I remember the battle they gave us. If it wasn't for one of the best plays in Stephenville history we would have been sent home that afternoon. While the Jackets are very talented, and I expect them to be in the state game, this offense will have some serious work to do if they are going to be as good as the 2012 offense. Stidham is all world but he isn't miles ahead of Jones. He might be mechanically better, but Tyler did nothing but make plays. Our running game is better, but our receiving core isn't half as good as that 2012 bunch. It's not even debatable. Our line that year was outstanding to say the least. I hope I'm wrong here because it will take that kind of offensive play to get past those boys out in East Texas. I dont care about any poll or ranking that says we are number 1 in the state. Until that trophy is back in the Ville, we are underdogs in my book.

buckeyebob
08-15-2014, 06:25 AM

What-A-Burger w/ extra cheese

Txbroadcaster
08-15-2014, 06:40 AM
What-A-Burger w/ extra cheese

Mustard only?

Gsquared
08-15-2014, 08:01 AM
I know a girl that is terrified of mustard. Cant even hold a mustard packet without hyperventalating. Weird

movethechain
08-15-2014, 08:32 AM
How is she with spicy ketchup?

waterboy
08-15-2014, 08:36 AM
I know a girl that is terrified of mustard. Cant even hold a mustard packet without hyperventalating. Weird

And I'll bet you are just one of those guys that keeps a packet in your pocket just to taunt her with!:taunt:

I can't listen to your show on my computer at work. Anybody care to summarize...:(

Txbroadcaster
08-15-2014, 08:49 AM
And I'll bet you are just one of those guys that keeps a packet in your pocket just to taunt her with!:taunt:

I can't listen to your show on my computer at work. Anybody care to summarize...:(

I am right..Grant is wrong
You can download it to your phone via Itunes..just search Project Shanks

speedbump
08-15-2014, 09:00 AM
[QUOTE=Dawgs;1816797] I don't care what anybody says Championship goes thru region 3 this year. 3 big time physical teams Kilgore, Carthage, and Sota is a heck of a region right there. Throw in CH and a few others, and the Region 3 Champ will come out battle tested and proving to play physical football. After last year I just don't know about that sissy ball they play out there in Region 1. Just a weak region, and very hard to judge.[/QUOT

El Campo vs Navasota - End of story.

refereedoc
08-15-2014, 09:21 AM
[QUOTE=Dawgs;1816797] I don't care what anybody says Championship goes thru region 3 this year. 3 big time physical teams Kilgore, Carthage, and Sota is a heck of a region right there. Throw in CH and a few others, and the Region 3 Champ will come out battle tested and proving to play physical football. After last year I just don't know about that sissy ball they play out there in Region 1. Just a weak region, and very hard to judge.[/QUOT

El Campo vs Navasota - End of story.
Sissy ball 70- Physical ball 35 2012. End of story

panfan
08-15-2014, 09:32 AM
[QUOTE=speedbump;1816811]

Ouch! :eek::1popcorn:

speedbump
08-15-2014, 10:16 AM
[QUOTE=speedbump;1816811]

So Stephenville is in region 3 this year?

Txbroadcaster
08-15-2014, 12:58 PM
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/project-shanks.com/id597767049?mt=2

Sweetwater Red
08-15-2014, 01:30 PM

I know a girl, you do too, that freaks out at the sight of buttered bread. Really weird

hollywood
08-15-2014, 02:04 PM
While I don't agree with the Dawg's sissy ball comment, I do agree that region 3 is the toughest in the state. As a Jacket fan, I know that a extremely tough team from out east will be waiting if we make it that far. Now as for everyone else in region 1 or 2 being a darkhorse next to the Jackets is crazy talk. There are a couple of tests in our own district let alone once we get to the playoffs. People better not look past Big Spring. I remember the battle they gave us. If it wasn't for one of the best plays in Stephenville history we would have been sent home that afternoon. While the Jackets are very talented, and I expect them to be in the state game, this offense will have some serious work to do if they are going to be as good as the 2012 offense. Stidham is all world but he isn't miles ahead of Jones. He might be mechanically better, but Tyler did nothing but make plays. Our running game is better, but our receiving core isn't half as good as that 2012 bunch. It's not even debatable. Our line that year was outstanding to say the least. I hope I'm wrong here because it will take that kind of offensive play to get past those boys out in East Texas. I dont care about any poll or ranking that says we are number 1 in the state. Until that trophy is back in the Ville, we are underdogs in my book.

You forgot to bring your big spoon to the stew pot 2muchOffense!! Are you planning to stir that pot all season with a teaspoon or get out the big one?! Come on man, this is HS football talk. Lay it out there... tell us how you really feel!

:D

D'Highlander
08-15-2014, 02:22 PM

Bazinga!

TarponFanInNorthTexas
08-15-2014, 02:35 PM
And STILL no mention of a visit to Port Isabel for a Tarpons game and the three of you consuming copious amounts of fajita tacos.

Sideline-to-Sideline, breaking promises since 2013.

Txbroadcaster
08-15-2014, 02:57 PM
And STILL no mention of a visit to Port Isabel for a Tarpons game and the three of you consuming copious amounts of fajita tacos.

Sideline-to-Sideline, breaking promises since 2013.

LOL We have studio duty this season

Gsquared
08-15-2014, 03:04 PM
I know a girl, you do too, that freaks out at the sight of buttered bread. Really weird

Nice! If she is single, set me up! A buttered bread phobia is a fetish

BwdLion73
08-15-2014, 03:17 PM
...You want some mustard on that biscuit...uh huh...

Gen.Pat
08-15-2014, 09:06 PM
I 'll be bold and say Godley as a Dark horse to win district their first year in 4A.