PDA

View Full Version : No place but texas

regaleagle
08-14-2014, 06:17 AM
YEP, that's a known sayin' down here in the great state of Texas, allright. But it has its rightful place when it comes to this time of the year and high school football. The excitement is already in the air....most fans can feel it....and all the players, coaching staffs, bands, drill teams, cheerleader squads and regular ordinary students just as well. That's because what goes on every week this time of year down here in Texas is unlike anywhere else in the world....period! You just can't match the experience and thrills of high school football in any other state like we have here year in and year out. And it really doesn't even matter the classification or level of competition of your school or favorite team because the atmosphere surrounding the sport totally captivates the attention of the entire state, not to mention the nation. Sure...California, Florida, and many other states boast about their high school football quality too, but not at every level and certainly not with the same rabid fanbase. What we have here in Texas is special, and should not be taken for granted. Every week at stadiums all across this state there will be excitement in the air on a daily basis...but esp. on game nights...with all the pomp and pageantry of a college or professional gameday feeling. And so many to choose from it'll make your head swim just to pick one you'd like attend. Battles on the Gridiron of Glory that continue each and every week until that final week before Christmas that culminates in a championship weekend for all classifications at one location over several days that just can't be found anywhere else....WOW! It's really an incredible thing to witness and be part of...regardless of age, race, gender, or interests. It just don't get better than this...no place but Texas.

Smitty
08-14-2014, 08:45 PM
Agreed!

I have lived in a few other states where employment has taken me away and while in those places I have searched for High School Football. In those searches I found absolutely NOTHING that compares to the
enthusiasm, excitement and love that Texans give High School Football. I was a 76 grad at Stephenville when we would get our a++ handed to us on a regular basis, but at every game the stands were full of wonderful
loud fans! GOD BLESS TEXAS AND HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBAL!

cougartino
08-14-2014, 10:12 PM
I tell folks that in La Marque, we have church on Friday nights in the fall.

Rabid Cougar
08-15-2014, 10:14 AM
I will be relishing in the glow of the lights tonight. ( I know it doesn't get dark until 9:30 but you get the gist.)

hollywood
08-15-2014, 04:34 PM
regaleagle, good post.

I traveled to the corn belt of the country last week on business. I spent several days in Kansas, Nebraska and Iowa and all claimed to have great football. I laughed silently as I was hearing these comments throughout the week. We finally got to discuss some HS football with some college age young men from an hour outside of Lincoln on one of our stops. We went to a local sports bar and met these guys who ended being pretty cool and by the end of the night, we had them all convinced to move to Texas. lol So once they found out we were from Texas, the first thing out of their mouths was "Is high school football really as big as they make it out to be on TV?" I replied, "What do you mean, everything is bigger in Texas!" They said they didn't truly believe it because Memorial Stadium at the University of Nebraska is the 3rd largest city in NE on game day. And they take their football pretty serious. I said "Yes, that is impressive." Husker football is quality and I 've always enjoyed watching the Big Red. From there, we discussed what the game environment and crowd sizes were like at an average Nebraska HS football game. I asked how many people generally attend their games. They thought and finally replied... about 500-800 maybe 1000 is a pretty big crowd. And that is for a schools of about 800-1200 students on average. I said to them that was a really small crowd at any given Texas HS football game. I told them about Allen's HS football stadium and some of the more well-known HS football programs in Texas have anywhere between 4,000 to 18,000 at HS football games on Friday nights. Their jaws dropped. And when I told them the attendences of the State Championship games, they were truly blown away. I don't think they have ever been far from the corn farm. lol But to summerize it simply, NO where in the world is HS football more coveted, cherished and worshiped than in the great state of Texas. I consider ourselves blessed that we have it in our own backyards and have sites like the TexasDownLow to support it!

regaleagle
08-15-2014, 04:45 PM
That's a BIG AMEN, Hollywood. And here's to tonite's first action of preseason with scrimmages. It won't be long now, haha.

bigwood33
08-15-2014, 06:57 PM
regaleagle, good post.

I traveled to the corn belt of the country last week on business. I spent several days in Kansas, Nebraska and Iowa and all claimed to have great football. I laughed silently as I was hearing these comments throughout the week. We finally got to discuss some HS football with some college age young men from an hour outside of Lincoln on one of our stops. We went to a local sports bar and met these guys who ended being pretty cool and by the end of the night, we had them all convinced to move to Texas. lol So once they found out we were from Texas, the first thing out of their mouths was "Is high school football really as big as they make it out to be on TV?" I replied, "What do you mean, everything is bigger in Texas!" They said they didn't truly believe it because Memorial Stadium at the University of Nebraska is the 3rd largest city in NE on game day. And they take their football pretty serious. I said "Yes, that is impressive." Husker football is quality and I 've always enjoyed watching the Big Red. From there, we discussed what the game environment and crowd sizes were like at an average Nebraska HS football game. I asked how many people generally attend their games. They thought and finally replied... about 500-800 maybe 1000 is a pretty big crowd. And that is for a schools of about 800-1200 students on average. I said to them that was a really small crowd at any given Texas HS football game. I told them about Allen's HS football stadium and some of the more well-known HS football programs in Texas have anywhere between 4,000 to 18,000 at HS football games on Friday nights. Their jaws dropped. And when I told them the attendences of the State Championship games, they were truly blown away. I don't think they have ever been far from the corn farm. lol But to summerize it simply, NO where in the world is HS football more coveted, cherished and worshiped than in the great state of Texas. I consider ourselves blessed that we have it in our own backyards and have sites like the TexasDownLow to support it!
hollywood, I have had similar experiences up that way. I usually pull up Texasbob.com on my phone and show them some of the outstanding stadiums across the state. They are always blown away.

Gen.Pat
08-15-2014, 08:56 PM
Nothing like HS football in the SOUTH. I been to games in 4 Southern states and they are all just as rabied but TX got the best faculties of any of them.