PDA

View Full Version : young athletes

Steernation
08-13-2014, 07:20 PM
Was working out today at anytime fitness and I saw a kid and I asked how two a days was going assuming he was in highschool. This kid was every bit of 6 feet tall 180 pounds. He was throwing up 135 easy on bench. He replied that he was a incoming 7th grader! My gosh what are the kids these days eating!

slingshot
08-13-2014, 08:02 PM
Was working out today at anytime fitness and I saw a kid and I asked how two a days was going assuming he was in highschool. This kid was every bit of 6 feet tall 180 pounds. He was throwing up 135 easy on bench. He replied that he was a incoming 7th grader! My gosh what are the kids these days eating!Good question. I was thinking the same thing when we did physicals 2 weeks ago--there was a very stout kid there, will not mention names but was a running back and benches 300 lbs. Going into 8th grade! I had assumed he was at least 17-18... feel sorry for some 8th grade defenses this year. His grandfather played safety in the NFL--good genes.

Steernation
08-13-2014, 10:01 PM
Its crazy! Talking to some people today and apparently there Is a freshman in Graham 6'3 210-220 getting some reps with varsity(not saying he will be on varsity when the time comes) but it's still pretty impressive. Kids are just getting bigger and bigger

hollywood
08-13-2014, 11:38 PM
Good question. I was thinking the same thing when we did physicals 2 weeks ago--there was a very stout kid there, will not mention names but was a running back and benches 300 lbs. Going into 8th grade! I had assumed he was at least 17-18... feel sorry for some 8th grade defenses this year. His grandfather played safety in the NFL--good genes.

Physicals for Cooper, High, Wylie...

Or all the above.

Is this kid in the Wylie school district?!

I'm sure Stephenville has a job opening somewhere for his parents! ;)

Steernation
08-14-2014, 01:59 AM

Or all the above.

I'm sure Stephenville has a job opening somewhere for his parents! ;)

Haha no joke!

BwdLion73
08-14-2014, 08:30 AM
Has anyone or group done a study on this? It seems that we are growing bigger kids. Is it just the fact that the information age brings this to our attention?
My dad was around 5'10" medium to slim build. I was considered one of the bigger kids in school at 6' 170. My son graduated at 6'4" and was wearing a size 14 shoe!
Other than keeping an eye on the UPS man I don't know what happen!

Rabid Cougar
08-14-2014, 08:42 AM
1981- 3 A State Championship team Not one offensive lineman over 190 lbs.
2014- 3A 4th place District team. Not one offensive lineman under 220 lbs.

slingshot
08-14-2014, 08:46 AM

Or all the above.

I'm sure Stephenville has a job opening somewhere for his parents! ;)Think he plays for Noodle Jr High...

caleb_mccaig
08-14-2014, 08:58 AM
If I had to guess it's the mixture of genes, good workout regiments are more available than they used to be, supplements are widely available and kids know that if they can succeed in any sport in high school and get a scholarship to a D-1 school then their set. Fame (at least at the college they attend,) girls, winning and possibly even money. Whether you like it or not, there is incentive for kids to do whatever it takes to get a step ahead, those are a few things every high school football player is likely playing for.

BwdLion73
08-14-2014, 09:36 AM
1981- 3 A State Championship team Not one offensive lineman over 190 lbs.
2014- 3A 4th place District team. Not one offensive lineman under 220 lbs.

That's true. Our 1970 State Champ's had a fullback 5'4" 143 and a tailback @ 5'6" 147. I know our 72/73 team roster shows no one over 200#'s.

Cam
08-14-2014, 09:56 AM
...I think it's cause everybody grows their own vegetables in the same dirt where your septic tank waste water seeps into!!!...:D...RID-X secretly at work!.......Our freshman QB goes 6" and 190 already and his momma was sayin' his doctor predicted he'd hit 6'4" easily.....:doh:

panfan
08-14-2014, 10:15 AM
Has anyone or group done a study on this? It seems that we are growing bigger kids. Is it just the fact that the information age brings this to our attention?
My dad was around 5'10" medium to slim build. I was considered one of the bigger kids in school at 6' 170. My son graduated at 6'4" and was wearing a size 14 shoe!
Other than keeping an eye on the UPS man I don't know what happen!

I like to look at this a bit more logically and use empirical evidence when available. :redxpoke: You know, cause and effect.
Better and more plentiful nutrition and genetics are primary factors, and they must occur at the same time.

Here is my sample: Dad's family (8 boys) Grandfather was 6'4" and grandmother was over 6'. All boys were 6' or less. raised during depression era.
My Fathers family: 3 boys, 2 girls. one out of 3 boys is 6' plus, the other one is pushing 6 and larger than the other 2.
My brothers and my family. All boys from all of us (6 total boys, all over 6'1, most large frames).
My sister's boys (similar early history) both 6'3 plus and playing college ball cause they are really large boys.

I think the genetics were always there, but the nutrition needed to be there to support it. Now that it is, we have large humans at least in my little corner of the galaxy.

Cam
08-14-2014, 11:08 AM
I like to look at this a bit more logically and use empirical evidence when available. :redxpoke: You know, cause and effect.
Better and more plentiful nutrition and genetics are primary factors, and they must occur at the same time.

Here is my sample: Dad's family (8 boys) Grandfather was 6'4" and grandmother was over 6'. All boys were 6' or less. raised during depression era.
My Fathers family: 3 boys, 2 girls. one out of 3 boys is 6' plus, the other one is pushing 6 and larger than the other 2.
My brothers and my family. All boys from all of us (6 total boys, all over 6'1, most large frames).
My sister's boys (similar early history) both 6'3 plus and playing college ball cause they are really large boys.

I think the genetics were always there, but the nutrition needed to be there to support it. Now that it is, we have large humans at least in my little corner of the galaxy.

panfan....there ain't nothin' logical about you!!..dang Barney lover!......but he is one handsome brute folks!!.....:doh:

...this is all Greendawg's fault!.....his shortness debates any of this "everyone's bigger these days" philosophy!!.....:D...and I don't wanna hear any of that "he don't eat healthy crap!!"....that boy puts away venison sammich's like nothin'!!.....

panfan
08-14-2014, 12:42 PM
panfan....there ain't nothin' logical about you!!..dang Barney lover!......but he is one handsome brute folks!!.....:doh:

...this is all Greendawg's fault!.....his shortness debates any of this "everyone's bigger these days" philosophy!!.....:D...and I don't wanna hear any of that "he don't eat healthy crap!!"....that boy puts away venison sammich's like nothin'!!.....

I forgot about the G-dawg factor. Everyone is bigger, except G-dawg. He's one of them outliers, a statistical anomaly.