PDA

View Full Version : Navy Seal Walk On at Northwestern

Pudlugger
08-09-2014, 05:38 PM
This guy is inspirational.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/colleges/29136258-419/navy-seal-tries-to-secure-spot-on-northwestern-football-team.html#.U-ahKWPG-8C

Rabid Cougar
08-09-2014, 07:38 PM
This guy is inspirational.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/colleges/29136258-419/navy-seal-tries-to-secure-spot-on-northwestern-football-team.html#.U-ahKWPG-8C

He got board.

Gen.Pat
08-10-2014, 05:53 PM
He will be a great example to his teammates and Staff.

caleb_mccaig
08-11-2014, 10:26 AM
I've always wondered about those in the military who go to a private school. I've been told, and i'm not sure how correct this is, but that the military will pay for your school. Does that only count for state funded schools, or is there a limit? Because Northwestern runs around $46k a year, I'm assuming there would have to be a limit on how much the government pays. I met a few guys who were in the military while I was at Baylor and always wondered if they had to pick up part of the check.

ValleyCat
08-11-2014, 07:51 PM
I've always wondered about those in the military who go to a private school. I've been told, and i'm not sure how correct this is, but that the military will pay for your school. Does that only count for state funded schools, or is there a limit? Because Northwestern runs around $46k a year, I'm assuming there would have to be a limit on how much the government pays. I met a few guys who were in the military while I was at Baylor and always wondered if they had to pick up part of the check.

Post-9/11 GI BILL pays tuition, provides 1,000k per year for books, and a housing stipend already calculated based on cost of living for FULL-TIME students. 3/4 time is less money. 1/2 time or less only tuition is paid.

But, according to the article, he is still on active duty...so the military picks up 100% of the tuition, unless that's changed from when I was in the Navy.

Rabid Cougar
08-11-2014, 08:40 PM
Post-9/11 GI BILL pays tuition, provides 1,000k per year for books, and a housing stipend already calculated based on cost of living for FULL-TIME students. 3/4 time is less money. 1/2 time or less only tuition is paid.

But, according to the article, he is still on active duty...so the military picks up 100% of the tuition, unless that's changed from when I was in the Navy.

The Navy Tuition Assistance program pays 100% of tuition and required fees charged by educational institutions for course enrollments.

To qualify, service members must:
be on active duty for the whole length of the course.
attend an institution accredited by a regional, national, or professional accrediting agency recognized by the Department of Education.
receive counseling from a Navy College Office

Agree, if an officer, to remain on active duty for at least two years upon completion of courses funded by TA. This obligation runs concurrently with remaining obligated service time. Those who fail to serve the obligation must repay the TA funds expended on their behalf during the last two years of active duty on a pro rated basis.

Not to exceed $250 a semester hour.

charlesrixey
08-14-2014, 08:19 AM
Tuition assistance currently covers roughly six classes worth of tuition each fiscal year; I am in the Marines, not the Navy, but i do know that the amount is capped per student because they don't want service-members to overload themselves with classes when they have a job to do for the military (and they dont want to pay more). There have been a lot of changes to tuition assistance in the recent fiscal climate; if the SEAL is taking more than six classes a year then he is probably pulling from his GI bill benefits.

charlesrixey
08-14-2014, 08:28 AM

The Post 9/11 GI Bill covers full in-state tuition costs at all public universities; if you attend a private one then you must pay the difference, unless that school participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program, which means that the school picks all or part of the tab not covered. It is fairly uncommon for active duty troops to pull from their GI Bill, since the TA program already gives them an average of six classes of tuition per year and the GI Bill is tied to months of study; it pays for 36 months of tuition (up to the top public school amount in your state) but a month in school burns a month of benefits regardless of whether you take 1 class or six. Therefore, there is little incentive to waste the GI bill while on active duty, when you don't have the time to go to school full-time. I finished my degree and am working on my MA using TA, so I am fairly familiar with the process.