PDA

View Full Version : Brazosport football story

Scoop27
08-05-2014, 12:08 PM
By JOEL LUNA joel.luna@thefacts.com | 0 comments

FREEPORT — The Brazosport Exporters opened 2014 football camp Monday on what could be a more level playing field than in years past.

Third-year head football coach and associate director of athletics Ben Rudolph dropped down among schools more its size after realignment in February, remaining a Class 4A school while most of its former district foes moved to Class 5A under the new six-tier allignment.

Rudolph is 4-16 overall, but is hoping the change in classification can revitalize the program.

“I told everyone all spring and all summer that it doesn’t diminish the level of competition at all, it just leveled the playing field,” Rudolph said. “We will be playing similar-size schools, and we will be put into a situation where we will have two-way players — kind of like our quarterback turning around and playing free safety. That levels the playing field, but it does not lower the competition one bit.”

Brazosport will be playing in Class 4A Division I Region III District 12 with the likes of Columbia, El Campo, Needville, Stafford and Bay City. Columbia and Bay City historically have been regular opponents for the Ships.

The first couple of practices will go from 3 to 8 p.m., with positional meetings and weights for the first couple of hours. The Exporters will hit Hopper Field or the practice fields by 5 p.m. daily. Saturday the team will practice from 8 to 11 a.m. at Hopper Field.

“We’ve made some changes to the practices and how we practice, but the general format is the same,” Rudolph said. “The day one fun is exciting and the challenges that each day brings. For us, it is important to execute the offense and defense, and it does not matter how fancy we can get, so long as things are executed on the field. We are looking for toughness and conditioning in this camp from our players.”

New players will have to replace the likes of Emond Hobbs, who not only ran the offense last year but also was a big part of the defense.

“We did lose some skilled positions that we lost due to graduation, like Hobbs, so it will be important for these younger guys to step up and assume that leadership role,” Rudolph said.

Forty-two varsity Exporters reported for the first of several training camp practices. Rudolph has enjoyed the growth in turnout the last couple of years.

“In our first year, there were only 19 freshmen players that signed on,” he said. “But last year we almost doubled that to 35, and I am expecting about 43 freshmen to report today.”

Like most teams, the Exporters have some new coaches for 2014. Robert Jones returns as the offensive coordinator/quarterback coach; James Barnard and Clint Loewer will work with the offensive line; Ricky Wright gets the running backs; and Brock Owens and Joseph Granville will coach the wide receivers.

On defense, the Exporters welcome new defensive coordinator Gilbert Gardner, who will also coach the linebackers; Ken Schulte gets the defensive line, with Owens handling the strong safeties and Brad Nelson the cornerbacks. Granville also will work with special teams.

“The biggest change for us is the new district and the new district opponents and the work put in to work with those other schools and athletic directors,” Rudolph said. “This year in 4A we have two divisions, a Division I and Division II, which means everybody is in different districts in other sports, so it requires a lot of effort in part of setting schedules and just make sure everything is correct.”

The Exporters will continue working toward a 7:30 p.m. Aug. 15 scrimmage against Edna at Hopper Field, then travel for a 9 a.m. scrimmage Aug. 21 at Houston Northbrook/Davis at Tully Stadium.

Brazosport opens the season at 7 p.m. Aug. 28 at Fort Bend Willowridge.

“Part of this fall camp we will also develop leadership into these players and elect some new leadership,” Rudolph said. “The players will decide who the captains will be for the season.”

LHPfactory
08-06-2014, 08:08 AM
Flash back to the 80s when I played at Bport, opening against the Ridge and playing WC, EC, and BC in district..... I realized I was getting old when my son will be playing @ Brenham on the same field I played them 27 years ago!...... Still remember the score, Brenham 9-6.