PDA

View Full Version : Yoakum midnight madness practice story

Scoop27
08-04-2014, 02:25 PM
From the Victoria Advocate

YOAKUM - Yoakum coach Brent Kornegay would not agree with the sentiment that nothing good happens after midnight.

The Bulldogs began football practice early Monday morning with a spirited workout under the lights on the baseball field.

"The kids asked about it and they get excited about it," Kornegay said. "It's a neat deal and kind of gets the community involved. We've had some people cooking hot dogs and things."

This is second consecutive season Yoakum has held a Midnight Madness practice on the first day high school teams around the state are allowed to begin working out for the upcoming season.

Players from the varsity, junior varsity and freshman teams took part in the practice, which ran past 3 a.m.

The Bulldogs will have the rest of Monday off before joining other teams with a more normal schedule Tuesday.

MJMbrahmas10
08-04-2014, 04:19 PM
Sounds familiar. Looks like someone stole Coach Rowes idea at Bellville.

MJMbrahmas10
08-04-2014, 04:21 PM
Would have been fun practicing at midnight though!

XMan
08-04-2014, 06:50 PM
Why in the heck didn't they practice on the football field?????

duckhunter
08-05-2014, 01:40 PM
Why in the heck didn't they practice on the football field?????

I'm guessing they don't want to tear it up? Maybe they actually have green grass growing on it this year? They don't have football practice fields so they practice on the baseball field. Usually the baseball field is in good shape. You would think they could find a pasture somewhere so that they wouldn't have to tear up the baseball field. I'd hate to twist an ankle on the plug in second base

XMan
08-05-2014, 02:31 PM
Where do they practice baseball during the fall if they are practicing football on the baseball field????

Scoop27
08-05-2014, 02:34 PM
I like the idea of fans cooking hotdogs

YTBulldogs
08-05-2014, 02:36 PM
Good time had by all.:2thumbsup

YTBulldogs
08-05-2014, 02:41 PM
http://www.advosports.com/news/2014/aug/04/mf_midnightmadness_080514_245793/

duckhunter
08-05-2014, 03:18 PM
Where do they practice baseball during the fall if they are practicing football on the baseball field????

We all know nobody practices baseball in the fall!!!

XMan
08-05-2014, 06:36 PM
Yep, I guess you are correct, very few do practice in the fall. But then again, very few play in May in June. Usually, its the ones that practice in the fall.

YTBulldogs
08-05-2014, 07:14 PM

We are not lucky enough to have baseball only players. Just a handful. Most part, they play both sports, thus--no fall baseball practice. Other than in the batting cages and the throwing program during off season workouts following their weight training. Seems to be very successful for us over the years in baseball.