PDA

View Full Version : Celina Bobcats 2014

Celina8
08-03-2014, 12:09 PM
I think this is a crucial year for our program as expectations are pretty high for a deep playoff run and after being hit pretty hard with the injury bug last year we have several young kids get a lot of playing time last season. I like that we have two solid teams that we are scrimmaging this year in Princeton and Sanger which i think we expose those areas that we need to improve on as any scrimmage should provide. The game againts Argyle should tell us a lot about this team. I am not convinced that Argyle is really any weaker this year as compared to last. I think they are probably just a strong and have an excellent shot at another State Title run. Melissa has given us more than we could handle these last two years and no reason to think anything different. I think the biggest key for the Bobcats will be the offensive line and our ability to run the ball. I know we are a spread offence but for this season to successful the Bobcats need to be able to run the ball for long sustained drives very much like we did in the past. Good luck Bobcats look forward to a great 2014!

regaleagle
08-04-2014, 07:07 AM
Celina will be a real test for Argyle....this year very early in the season for the first time. Argyle will have its hands full in predistrict starting with Abilene Wylie right outta the gate. Then there's a very capable 5A Denison team at Jerryworld, , Celina, Graham, and what looks to be a loaded Paris team this season. That's a pretty stout schedule for any 4A team to manage in predistrict, much less go undefeated against. l'd say Celina has a better shot at a title this year than Argyle will, jmo. If by some miracle Argyle does get to Week 6 undefeated, then I will agree they will be a very formidable contender come playoff time. Celina, on the other hand, is positioned this season to battle Gilmer for the region title, with the winner most probably making the title game. Celina could actually afford a loss or two along the way and still make the Big Dance....I think they will be that good. Should have no problem in district play, though.

Twirling Time
08-06-2014, 08:43 PM
Celina is Region I and Gilmer in Region II. They will meet in the state semifinals.

regaleagle
08-07-2014, 02:18 AM
Celina is Region I and Gilmer in Region II. They will meet in the state semifinals.

Wow, that's right. I guess that leaves Vernon, Dallas Lincoln, and either Monahans/Sweetwater as contenders in Region 1 DII. Not sure what Godley has, but they could also be considered a contender in the region. Looks like Celina and Gilmer are destined to fight it out, regardless. Let's see if Destiny becomes reality this season. Good Luck to the Bobcats, except when they play Argyle, haha.

Looks like Ferris should also be included....don't wanna leave them outta the mix.

Celina8
08-07-2014, 11:53 AM
I will be honest, the Celina fans are a little to quite on this message board which is surprising as usually when expectations are high you can usually find several on this board. We have basically gone silent and those that do come on do not even discuss the teams prospects this year. How strong of an indicator is this for a successful season...I not sure, but I tend to know when we have a strong team our fans are pretty active on the message boards.

lostaussie
08-07-2014, 02:44 PM
I will be honest, the Celina fans are a little to quite on this message board which is surprising as usually when expectations are high you can usually find several on this board. We have basically gone silent and those that do come on do not even discuss the teams prospects this year. How strong of an indicator is this for a successful season...I not sure, but I tend to know when we have a strong team our fans are pretty active on the message boards.crack out about 6-0 and everything will be back to normal. Good luck to the cats this year. I fully expect to see them on down the line.

cowboyandchrist
08-07-2014, 09:30 PM
I would worry more about Tatum than Gilmer this year, they are the team I pick to face Celina or Argyle in the semi's. I am telling you I just have a feeling about this team. Celina and Argyle should be the favorites in Region I.
I talked to some folks from Tatum and they said this is the group of kids they have been waiting for. They are loaded with speed, size and for the first time depth. We will know how good they are when they plat Gilmer in the 3rd game of the year. May find out sooner when they play Newton. I believe they have five or six kids being looked at by D1 schools.

marler1972
08-07-2014, 10:31 PM
Argyle is D1 so will not see them in the playoffs. Chat on a message board is no indicator of how a team will be. Celina will be fine this year. Everyone is healthy. It will be a very fun year.

orange machine
08-07-2014, 10:36 PM
From what I've heard the Celina starters on offense are the following.

Lt Jr. Hubbard 6'0 230
LG Sr. Vaughn 6'3 260
C Sr. Becerra 6'0 275
Rg So. Melton 6'3 275
Rt Sr. Weimer 6'2 265
Qb Sr. Elliott 6'1 200
RB Jr. Alexander 5'8 185
Te Jr. Nebeker 6'4 180 spelling on name unkown
Wr Sr. Marler 6'2 180
Slot Sr. Conder 5'11 190
Slot Jr. Reeder 5'10 175

Not sure on the defense yet.

lostaussie
08-08-2014, 07:27 AM
I would worry more about Tatum than Gilmer this year, they are the team I pick to face Celina or Argyle in the semi's. I am telling you I just have a feeling about this team. Celina and Argyle should be the favorites in Region I.
I talked to some folks from Tatum and they said this is the group of kids they have been waiting for. They are loaded with speed, size and for the first time depth. We will know how good they are when they plat Gilmer in the 3rd game of the year. May find out sooner when they play Newton. I believe they have five or six kids being looked at by D1 schools.Lol.....at least know what you talk about. Argyle is D1

Sweetwater Red
08-08-2014, 08:47 AM
Sweetwater vs. Monahans is kind of a big deal for the two towns going back to the 80s and more then the district championship
will be riding on this year's game in week 9. The winner not only gets the title but doesn't have to face Celina until the quarter
finals. The loser will get the Bobcats in the second round (assuming either Sweetwater or Monahans beat Perryton in the first round).

cowboyandchrist
08-08-2014, 03:38 PM
Lol.....at least know what you talk about. Argyle is D1
Sorry about that, I thought Argyle was in DII, hope your world don't end because I didn't know.

buckeyebob
08-08-2014, 03:59 PM
Sorry about that, I thought Argyle was in DII, hope your world don't end because I didn't know.

Yep...13 too many

regaleagle
08-09-2014, 11:45 AM

Lt Jr. Hubbard 6'0 230
LG Sr. Vaughn 6'3 260
C Sr. Becerra 6'0 275
Rg So. Melton 6'3 275
Rt Sr. Weimer 6'2 265
Qb Sr. Elliott 6'1 200
RB Jr. Alexander 5'8 185
Wr Sr. Marler 6'2 180
Slot Sr. Conder 5'11 190
Slot Jr. Reeder 5'10 175

Just looking at this front line, it appears to me that the Bobcats will be stacked up front to again pound the ball like the Celina teams of old. BUT, they also have Nathan Elliot in his senior season at qb leading this team. He can pass the potatoe, and has some recievers that will be able to make the plays. I predict a very successful campaign for the Celina Bobcats this season. The Week 3 meeting against Argyle will tell us much about both teams this year. I fully expect a very physical affair in this one.

orange machine
08-09-2014, 02:13 PM

Lt Jr. Hubbard 6'0 230
LG Sr. Vaughn 6'3 260
C Sr. Becerra 6'0 275
Rg So. Melton 6'3 275
Rt Sr. Weimer 6'2 265
Qb Sr. Elliott 6'1 200
RB Jr. Alexander 5'8 185
Wr Sr. Marler 6'2 180
Slot Sr. Conder 5'11 190
Slot Jr. Reeder 5'10 175

correction on Melton he is 290lbs.

gomeangreen
08-10-2014, 05:58 PM
it will be an interesting year--good amount of talent again (as always) but still the same coaching issue-no deep run should equal no job

Gen.Pat
08-10-2014, 06:16 PM
I expect Celina to make a run this year. Godley will be happy to make the playoffs again in our first year in 4A. We want to mind our P' s and Q' s.

charlesrixey
08-14-2014, 08:47 AM
I think this is a crucial year for our program as expectations are pretty high for a deep playoff run and after being hit pretty hard with the injury bug last year we have several young kids get a lot of playing time last season. I like that we have two solid teams that we are scrimmaging this year in Princeton and Sanger which i think we expose those areas that we need to improve on as any scrimmage should provide. The game againts Argyle should tell us a lot about this team. I am not convinced that Argyle is really any weaker this year as compared to last. I think they are probably just a strong and have an excellent shot at another State Title run. Melissa has given us more than we could handle these last two years and no reason to think anything different. I think the biggest key for the Bobcats will be the offensive line and our ability to run the ball. I know we are a spread offence but for this season to successful the Bobcats need to be able to run the ball for long sustained drives very much like we did in the past. Good luck Bobcats look forward to a great 2014!

I've been saying the same thing for years. I know spread offenses are the norm these days but I think the Seahawks re-iterated something in the Super Bowl; defense and steady offenses win championships. Celina had great success when using the running game to set the tone early in games, and not surpisingly had fewer 3 and outs and pretty good passing numbers, all while giving the defense more time to rest. When we beat Liberty Hill in 2008, we controlled time of possession despite probably not having the most talented team on the field. I realize that everyone seems to be going to the spread and the natural tendency is to fight fire with fire, but giving up 10 points a game instead of 20 isn't just a matter of talent, its a matter of strategy. We haven't been as effective in recent years at defense and running the ball (in the big games), which can be traced in part back to the higher level of competition; Celina was only favored twice in its state championship games but still succeeded, because talent alone isn't enough.

That being said, I think that this is going to be a great year for the Bobcats. They have a lot of great pieces in place and if they can take out Argyle early on I think the confidence level will go through the roof.

gatordaze
08-15-2014, 09:13 AM
If you go back to the first game last year Celina pounded the ball with a 165lb running back that could not be tackled. This year that kids is 190. Pound the rock!