PDA

View Full Version : Travel Distance

Phil C
06-25-2003, 09:14 AM
Football is finally coming soon. While we are waiting I was wondering if we could find out which school has the farthest distance to travel to out of town games during the regular season. This year Sinton has to travel to Raymondville which is about 118 miles. Sinton also has to play in Victoria which is about 65 miles. After that the remaining three out of town games are within 30 miles. In fact one is just 7 miles away in Taft. How about the rest of you? What is your farthest distance?

Ranger Mom
06-25-2003, 09:43 AM
Greenwood's are all within a 1 to 2 hour traveling range.

When we played Presido, it was 270 miles from the school to the Presido field.

I am not going to miss that trip AT ALL!!!!

vet93
06-25-2003, 10:54 AM
Ballinger to Midland (we play Greenwwood) is about 2 to 2/12 hours away. I can't remember the exact number of miles. We used to play Crane and that was a long way away. In fact...at one time our district consisted of Crane, Coahoma, Ozona, Sonora and Colorado City. Every game was over an hour and a half away and a couple were over 2 1/2 hours away. Interestingly, every one of those teams are now 2A. Talk about a population shift away from West Texas!

Phil C
06-25-2003, 11:21 AM
Vet I checked it out and the mileage from Ballinger to Midland is about 140 miles. A long trip.

Phil C
06-25-2003, 11:39 AM
Hey Ranger Mom you probably had to leave about 1:30P.M. to make it there by game time didn't you?

Doon
06-25-2003, 12:22 PM
Got one for you guys. I went to school in McCamey and my senior year away games were as follows:

Menard 168 miles
Eunice NM 115 miles
Van Horn 188 miles
Marfa 243 miles
Clint 281 miles

Not just football with the last three. We travelled to these places for all the other sports as well.

Was great back in the day before Robin Hood. We had 2 greyhound buses that belonged to the school that we travelled in.

3afan
06-25-2003, 12:25 PM
Cove is going to Lubbock this year - about 6-7 hours I think

PPHSfan
06-25-2003, 12:53 PM
SMU goes to Hawaii every other year. Bless their little hearts. :D

Cameronbystander
06-25-2003, 02:40 PM
There can't be many districts as spread out as there used to be. My last two years at Weatherford our district went from Brownwood to Vernon. It included:
Vernon - Iowa Park - WF Hirshi - Burkburnet
Graham - Weatherford - Stevenville (our only
win my senior year) & Brownwood (State
Champs)
Being in the middle wasn't so bad but it must have been tough for Brownwood. This was quite a spread out 3A district.

Matthew328
06-25-2003, 02:45 PM
This year the trip from Everman to Lawton, OK is approximatley 185 miles...in district the longest trip for Everman is to Glen Rose which is approximatley 47 miles....last year in the playoffs Everman had 2 long road trips..one to Lubbock, approximatley 320 miles and to San Antonio approx 260 miles

jason
06-25-2003, 02:51 PM
3afan:
Cove is going to Lubbock this year - about 6-7 hours I thinkThat would be 5A Copperas Cove.....they are also traveling about 3 1/2 hrs to Texas Stadium to play Odessa Permian in Week 1....part of a triple header that day at the nicest stadium in the NFL... :rolleyes:

Doon
06-25-2003, 02:57 PM
Jason,
I see that you live in Forney and probably go to a few Cowboys games. Wish I was close enough to go watch America's Team. However, I had the opportunity to take the tour of Texas Stadium this summer and was totally shocked at how bad the "home of one of most expensive franchises" looked. Now I know why JJ is raising heck wanting a new stadium. The one good part that I saw was the field, it was absolutely fantastic. Other than that "WE NEED A NEW STADIUM"!!

Bandera YaYa
06-25-2003, 03:31 PM
I think you need to re-calculate the time table for RangerMom.....I think with her driving abilities she needs to leave the night before, just to cover any unplanned(I started to say pregnancies,but I'm sure she has some of those "red things" left over from her last road trip!LOL)occurances along the way!! Just to be on the safe side!! wink wink

TarponFanInNorthTexas
06-25-2003, 06:26 PM
This coming season, Port Isabel's longest road trip will be when it travels to Gregory-Portland to play against La Vernia. From PI to GP it is about a little under a 3 hr. drive. Mileage is approximately 235 miles......I could be off, though.

Port Isabel's longest trip in it's district schedule is when it travels to Hidalgo, which is a little over an hour away.

PPHSfan
06-25-2003, 06:28 PM
TarponFanInNorthTexas:
This coming season, Port Isabel's longest road trip will be when it travels to Gregory-Portland to play against La Vernia. From PI to GP it is about a little under a 3 hr. drive. Mileage is approximately 235 miles......I could be off, though.

Port Isabel's longest trip in it's district schedule is when it travels to Hidalgo, which is a little over an hour away.WOW, an 80mph school bus. Yall must have a great Shop Class. :p

3afan2K3
06-25-2003, 08:54 PM
Doon:
Jason,
I see that you live in Forney and probably go to a few Cowboys games. Wish I was close enough to go watch America's Team. However, I had the opportunity to take the tour of Texas Stadium this summer and was totally shocked at how bad the "home of one of most expensive franchises" looked. Now I know why JJ is raising heck wanting a new stadium. The one good part that I saw was the field, it was absolutely fantastic. Other than that "WE NEED A NEW STADIUM"!!yes its in bad shape - at least it has a new playing surface ...

VWG
06-25-2003, 09:25 PM
Breckenridge and Childress are in the same district and that has to be a butt-whoopin' of a bus ride.

jason
06-25-2003, 11:37 PM
Doon:
Jason,
I see that you live in Forney and probably go to a few Cowboys games. Wish I was close enough to go watch America's Team. However, I had the opportunity to take the tour of Texas Stadium this summer and was totally shocked at how bad the "home of one of most expensive franchises" looked. Now I know why JJ is raising heck wanting a new stadium. The one good part that I saw was the field, it was absolutely fantastic. Other than that "WE NEED A NEW STADIUM"!!...sarcasm...

Ranger Mom
06-25-2003, 11:48 PM
Bandera YaYa:
I think you need to re-calculate the time table for RangerMom.....I think with her driving abilities she needs to leave the night before, just to cover any unplanned(I started to say pregnancies,but I'm sure she has some of those "red things" left over from her last road trip!LOL)occurances along the way!! Just to be on the safe side!! wink wink HEY!!!! :confused: You notice I just said how many miles it was to Presidio, I didn't mention how long it took me to get there!! :D

Also, those little "red things" were part of my problem, I couldn't find them in red, just every other color. They are now tucked away in my "Memory Folder".

exbccards76'smom
06-26-2003, 06:05 AM
We're lucky...Our longest trip will be to Newton this year (about 65 miles). Our shortest trip will be to Orangefield, about 9 miles. :D

3afan
06-26-2003, 07:12 AM
jason:

3afan:
Cove is going to Lubbock this year - about 6-7 hours I thinkThat would be 5A Copperas Cove.....they are also traveling about 3 1/2 hrs to Texas Stadium to play Odessa Permian in Week 1....part of a triple header that day at the nicest stadium in the NFL... :rolleyes: what are the other games in the triple header ???

jason
06-26-2003, 09:14 AM
prolly some DISD teams that will get killed by Houston teams.....

Matthew328
06-26-2003, 02:09 PM
I beleive Brownwood-FW Dunbar is one other game..and I think Mildand Lee is playing a DFW area school..Arlington High?

jason
06-26-2003, 03:03 PM
i think they're just moving the triple header they had last year at the alamo dome to texas stadium....